STrib: What if the Gophers played North Dakota State?

Playing NDSU is like eating beets. I wouldn't look forward to it and I wouldn't enjoy it!
It’s more like getting beet than eating beet, but I suppose no one likes that either.

If NDSU wants to play the Golden Gophers then by all means they should move their athletic department to Mid American conference or Mountain West conference.
And MN is scheduling Boise & UCF? No they are not.

still...why won't the North Dakota St Fighting Sioux play the famous St Thomas football team. St Thomas wants to move up so bad. Now's their shot. Hmmmmm....try that one on for size. Both programs think that they are better than anyone else. Are they afraid or is ND afraid? But on the other hand...99.999% of Minnesotans don't care or even heard of either team. Plus Dave Lee can give a play by play of the color of the leaves and the band during the game.

If, and only if, the Gophs decide to play NDSU again someday for ticket sales, it needs to be in the middle of the season. Not the first game of the year where NDSU gameplans for its superbowl for 8 months with fresh athletes (which they've been very successful at to their credit), while the Gophs look at it as the pre-season FCS game that it is and run vanilla schemes so they don't tip their hand for later bigger games.
zero sense man.

If, and only if, the Gophs decide to play NDSU again someday for ticket sales, it needs to be in the middle of the season. Not the first game of the year where NDSU gameplans for its superbowl for 8 months with fresh athletes (which they've been very successful at to their credit), while the Gophs look at it as the pre-season FCS game that it is and run vanilla schemes so they don't tip their hand for later bigger games.
Good points.

Ideal would be something like: play an "easy-ish" Big Ten team the week before, then NDSU, then a bye week.

They'd win.

Nebraska sucks. And I would be pleased. As it stands, I'll be cheering for SDSU to spoil things in Lincoln for Scotty.
Nebraska not as bad as people think. No way they lose to sdsu at home. They dont lose to ndsu at home either. Feel free to say I told you so in September, but no way does nebraska lose to sdsu!

Nebraska not as bad as people think. No way they lose to sdsu at home. They dont lose to ndsu at home either. Feel free to say I told you so in September, but no way does nebraska lose to sdsu!
I definitely don't think Nebraska will lose but it isn't a done deal. I wouldn't be all that shocked to see SDSU upset Nebraska.

No way Minnesota loses to SDSU last fall. We didn’t, either. Barely

They 'shouldn't' be that bad... but their performances under Frost have been nothing like what they 'should be'.

And MN is scheduling Boise & UCF? No they are not.
Look, if you want to play the big dogs then it's time to move up a level. More importantly will NDSU schedule St. Thomas when they move up? If not then stop whining.

More Minnesota kids on the NDSU team, our 2021 group has only two guys, two 6-7 lineman. PJ Fleck taken that home town dream away from the top Minnesota football kids.

More Minnesota kids on the NDSU team, our 2021 group has only two guys, two 6-7 lineman. PJ Fleck taken that home town dream away from the top Minnesota football kids.
There are not that many top end Minnesota kids and when there are some of them will have dream schools that are not Minnesota.

Things I’d rather do than watch NDSU football and the aftermath of NDSU posters on here for the next 5 years:

Watch paint dry.
Aggievision 24 hour marathon.
Stand in line at the DMV.
Extend the lockdown for another year.
Russian roulette.

Things I’d rather do than watch NDSU football and the aftermath of NDSU posters on here for the next 5 years:

Watch paint dry.
Aggievision 24 hour marathon.
Stand in line at the DMV.
Extend the lockdown for another year.
Russian roulette.
Not too long ago we were very hard to watch.

Look, if you want to play the big dogs then it's time to move up a level. More importantly will NDSU schedule St. Thomas when they move up? If not then stop whining.
Yes Ndsu will play UST, as soon as they are not DIII. Afraid of playing UST, no. Try to schedule them strategically in the middle of the season so UST not fresh, no. Afraid it might be UST’s Super Bowl, no. Concerned about a possible embarrassing lot for the fan base, no. Just play the game, yes.

MN 85 scholarships
Ndsu 63
UST likely DI FCS 0 scholarships

which teams would be the better matchup?

PJ Fleck taken that home town dream away from the top Minnesota football kids.
Have you seen the previous gopher teams when we had a lot of Minnesota boys on the team? We weren't very good. Minnesota doesn't have enough talent to field a good college team which is why most recruits are out of state.

Now if you wanted to argue whether or not PJ could be doing a better job at closing the borders then that would be valid. But it's not as easy as telling a kid that MN is your home school so you need to play for MN.

I would argue that MN is as desirable as it has ever been for kids to stay home.

Just look at the recruiting classes from Iowa, Wisconsin, NDSU, predominantly home kids. The Gophers won with home kids last year, Kill's boys. If you talk to the top kids in the state, most know the gophers will not give them any love. We have lots of untapped talent, just because they are not getting all the media.

Just look at the recruiting classes from Iowa, Wisconsin, NDSU, predominantly home kids. The Gophers won with home kids last year, Kill's boys. If you talk to the top kids in the state, most know the gophers will not give them any love. We have lots of untapped talent, just because they are not getting all the media.
UW has 22 kids on scholarship that are from Wisconsin. 63 from out of state. Fleck will only win big by recruiting nationally. This state does not produce huge numbers of high end D1 talent. Furthermore, a ton of kids that grow up here are not Gopher fans.

For sure there are kids that could help from Minnesota that are on Dakota rosters.

but there are also a lot of Minnesota kids on Dakota rosters that would be wastes of scholarships at Minnesota.

The Dakota schools offer a bunch of lower end d1 recruits (compared to FBS) and some of them turn out spectacular. But if we offered 20 Minnesota kids per year probably 12-15 would be non contributors at the big ten level. In 4 years half your roster is kids that would be backups at South Dakota

It will be interesting to see how St. Thomas effects recruiting in those states. I would assume the kids would stay home. St. Thomas, is a good school.

If you talk to the top kids in the state, most know the gophers will not give them any love.
I'm sure the gophers spend a lot of time with the top end talent in the state. I'm not sure what kids you've talked to but if the coaches haven't talked to them then they aren't up to the level that the gophers are looking for (probably NDSU type of recruits).

He's made that his kid doesn't have a gopher offer
If his kid is so good, he should just walk on. If he's good enough, he'll win the job.
If you can afford TG, you can afford tuition at the U anyway.

It will be interesting to see how St. Thomas effects recruiting in those states. I would assume the kids would stay home. St. Thomas, is a good school.
UST needs to figure out if they are going to elevate football or hockey. If they are a DI hockey school at $5 million a year, they won’t have the budget for scholarship FCS football at another $6 million. If so, they’ll be playing in the 0 scholarship Pioneer league, and won’t have a big impact on the MVFC teams.

UST needs to figure out if they are going to elevate football or hockey. If they are a DI hockey school at $5 million a year, they won’t have the budget for scholarship FCS football at another $6 million. If so, they’ll be playing in the 0 scholarship Pioneer league, and won’t have a big impact on the MVFC teams.
They don’t have to do either. They can focus on Summit League sports, with non scholarship Pioneer football. Hockey is too expensive and will be a distraction for them. They’ll lose a ton of games unless they commit to budgets at the level of St Cloud Mankato etc.

Top Bottom