Strib: Nolen to miss Saturday, possibly entire season

Who was Myron tweeting this to... GopherHole? I didn't see much uproar elsewhere.

Are you referring to this correction:

GophersBBGuy

Please read my blog, folks. I didn't say that anything was final with Nolen's situation. #stribgophers about 1 hour ago from web

Or the initial blog? http://www.startribune.com/blogs/52614957.html

The reason there may not be an uproar, is because Gopher Basketball doesn't get a whole lot of attention, and basically, just about anyone who cares is going to post on a message board.

Al will be missed...but...

Al's tenacity on D and his court leadership is going to be sorely missed. When he thinks he is a scoring threat is when he's at his worst. Don't get me wrong.... we're not as good without him, but I'm kind of excited for these other young guys (Cobbs, Joseph) to get some more playing time to mature as court leaders.

Gosh Myron, the headline said "Nolen Ruled Academically Ineligible Tuesday But Is Appealing", hard to mistake it.

We will desperately miss Al on Saturday if he is gone, but we have to be hopeful that he gets Wally Pipp'ed, ....I hope its Devoe, more than LW that takes on more of his role, especially in end of game situations (see IU game).

Can we take the bonus money that Jedd Fisch won't get and use it to pay Corey Joseph?

How many players are even left on the team that can suit up an play? That is our third scholarship player who cannot play for one reason or another. Ouch.

Beyond that, lets go Cobbs! Or anybody who is willing to step up. It is going to take a huge effort from every player, as well as much better performance from some if this season is going to get turned around now.

Nolen would be a huge loss, especially defensively. If the Gophers are without Nolen it will be more difficult to press, and without the press, the Gophers will have to play more half court offense (yuck). We're now down to 10 scholarship players, so the "line change" becomes impossible if just one Gopher gets in foul trouble. I hope Al can get this straightened out and become eligible again, be it this year or next. Saturday is such a huge game for the NCAA hopes of this team, that the damage may be done even if Al only misses this one game.

Ones persons demise is another's opportunity. Lets hope Cobbs and Joseph can fill the spot and Joseph can focus on the team aspect rather a "gunners" attitude. Cobbs on taking care of the ball and not trying to do too much.

If this is true, Nolen has let his school, team, coach and the fans down. His Gopher career could be finished.

Disappointing

These family circumstances-Played a apart with his struggles in school!!..... I didnt hear about him missing any practices and saw him play every game- didnt seem to bother him on the court..
Cant have it both ways..

Nice backcourt leadership so far this year out of Westbrook and Nolan.. One is ineligible the other is busy barking at other players getting involved in one on one battles, Westbrook is 5'10 1/2 and walks around like he's Maurice Lucas or Rick Mahorn.. Plus they fought each other earlier in the year.. Nice....

With that said they will beat Mich St sat....like I have been saying...

I can have a degree of sympathy for whatever his family situation is. But as Roland points out, he didn't miss any games (or practices that we are aware). I'd much rather he have taken a week off from pratice and missed the epic battle with say SDSU or Brown to make sure his academics were in order if his situation was really pressing him for time. Obviously he didn't have the same priority.

What's even more sad Mulligan, is that nearly EVERY program in the country feels the same way. There are skeletons in the closets of nearly every single major program out there...

Good try but no.

Ones persons demise is another's opportunity. Lets hope Cobbs and Joseph can fill the spot and Joseph can focus on the team aspect rather a "gunners" attitude. Cobbs on taking care of the ball and not trying to do too much.

If this is true, Nolen has let his school, team, coach and the fans down. His Gopher career could be finished.

I don't know about finished. But if Cory Joseph wants to start as a freshman, I think there's a lot less chance that Tubby will go with the 'senior leadership' by default then there was a month ago.

Starters

I think we should go big if nolen is out. rather than just putting in devoe or cobbs. this might make teams have to sdjust to us vs us playing with a lesser pg.

Starters being
Sampson
carter
johnson
hoffarber
westbrook

No sympathy. No excuse.

i know that your only use to caring about what these kids do on the court, and their academics as long as it keeps them on the court, but contrary to what most people think there are things more important things in life than basketball and even academics. If al is really dealing with problems at home I hope he works through them like a man regardless of the impact it has on his grades or his play.

Al Nolen is academically ineligible

Horrible News for the team. Al Nolen is academically ineligible. :(

http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/upon-further-review/2010/01/20/report-gophers-nolen-ineligible

I know he is appealing it, but we have to accept the strong likelihood he is gone for the year.

Just when there was a glimmer of hope that Royce might return before season end and help get us into NCAA contention, this news comes along. This season has been one long nightmare. :(

I think we should go big if nolen is out. rather than just putting in devoe or cobbs. this might make teams have to sdjust to us vs us playing with a lesser pg.

Starters being
Sampson
carter
johnson
hoffarber
westbrook

where's the point guard in this lineup???????????

Starters being
Sampson
carter
johnson
hoffarber
westbrook

Yikes, not a single one of those guys should be bringing the ball up the court. Especially against MSU and Lucas. Cobbs and/or Joseph will need to be on the court.

i know that your only use to caring about what these kids do on the court, and their academics as long as it keeps them on the court, but contrary to what most people think there are things more important things in life than basketball and even academics. If al is really dealing with problems at home I hope he works through them like a man regardless of the impact it has on his grades or his play.

MLIII - if you are who I think you are, welcome to the board! I didn't know you had begun posting. Great to see you on here.

Just an FYI about Studwell - he is in education - and is always consistent in his message that education is the most important thing. I doubt his comment is as much about basketball, as it is about learning, and he (and most of us), place a huge weight on academics.

I have no idea what his situation at home is, so I can't really say if it's a good excuse or not. I hope for the best for him, and hope it's nothing too serious. In most cases, there's really no excuse for being academically ineligible with the support these kids have, they have the best classes, profs, tutors, academic advisers, study sessions, and are require to be in class - when most of us just skipped a lot of classes.

+1

In a season largely lost due to other issues, could this be a blessing? It will give Cobbs and Joseph significantly more playing time and will clearly let us find out where we stand with these younger players. I personally have a feeling that Mr. Cobbs has a lot of upside. Also, it may open up the view for brother Corey.

IMO, not the biggest deal in the world. I feel for him if he has family issues, and this is just Basketball anyway. Not like Nolen is an All-America, let alone an all B10 performer. He is a very good defender with a poor offensive game. Cobbs will have to play more and maybe we sacrifice something this year, but probably good for the team in the long run, if White and TM play next year. IMO, might cost us a win or two over the next 12 games or so, but they would be better off playing 3-4 NIT games than 1 and done in the NCAA's anyway. Might as well limit LW's minutes and DJ's time and get geared up for a B10 Title in 2010-2011!

I posted this in another thread, but it seems to fit here:

IMO, not the biggest deal in the world. I feel for him if he has family issues, and this is just Basketball anyway. Not like Nolen is an All-America, let alone an all B10 performer. He is a very good defender with a poor offensive game. Cobbs will have to play more and maybe we sacrifice something this year, but probably good for the team in the long run, if White and TM play next year. IMO, might cost us a win or two over the next 12 games or so, but they would be better off playing 3-4 NIT games than 1 and done in the NCAA's anyway. Might as well limit LW's minutes and DJ's time and get geared up for a B10 Title in 2010-2011!

Barring disclosure of a learning disability, don't waste a bit of sympathy on a D-I student-athlete who manages to become academically ineligible in spite of all the assitance offered to him for the past five semesters.

Adequate Progress Is Key

(Also posted from another thread: What I Don't Understand...)

Recalling the Kevin Payton situation last season, who if I'm not mistaken, graduated in May 2009 after being declared "ineligible" that same semester, Nolen may have an issue with incompletes/credits. So the comments regarding "get to class" or "why don't you get your
work done over the break" are moot.

Instructors have one year to accept work to make up an incomplete and many create a more stringent requirement for those students in an effort to be fair to students who completed the coursework on time. Not too many professors I've dealt with are too jazzed with using their holiday break time for this purpose and they are not required to do so. As a person who has actually worked with college undergraduates (most of them NOT athletes), given the constraints on student-athletes regarding the revamped academic eligibility rules, it precludes them from the advantages that the "I" grade provides for the non-athlete student for that reason alone.

Students are required to maintain a minimum amount of credits per semester to be considered "full-time" and in the non-athletic world that means most students take 15-18 credits as a cushion. To drop a class or take an "I" does not have an impact on that student's full-time status or adequate progress towards graduation (on paper).

Many student-athletes (and other first-generation college students) do not have the organizational skills to successfully handle that credit load. Unfortunately, the practice used by most athletic advising offices is for those student-athletes to carry the minimum credit load of 12 (three 4 credit classes, four 3 credit classes -not common- or some combo that equals 13). This does not leave a lot of room for error or mistakes. One bad semester, if properly timed (in this case, Spring for basketball) won't hurt you since you can complete the "I" or take another course over the summer. However, if this happens with a 12 credit course load in the Fall semester, it's the kiss of death (especially if the Fall semester is preceded by a "catch up" summer).

Now I'm not close enough to the Nolen situation to know what is going on with him, but as a person who has had experience assisting both types of students (athletes and non-athletes) with these issues, I think that both Tubby and the Academic advising office bear greater responsibility for this situation than the average fan thinks. Ultimately, the brunt of the responsibility falls on Nolen, but as I've learned working with first-generation college students, they don't always know when or how to ask for the type of academic assistance they need. If you know a student-athlete is "struggling," a more hands on approach is required. Without knowing more about the situation, I cannot offer solutions and that would a 20/20 hindsight scenario anyway.

The University has always had a suspect academic advising crew because they base their hires on cronyism and academic record, not actual effectiveness and concrete advising skills. This is why the Minnesota has one of the lowest graduation rates in the Big Ten. Other institutions are doing a much better job.

Hope that Nolen works it out and is back on the court soon. Meanwhile, it will be a great opportunity for both Cobbs and Joseph to step up their games.

Barring disclosure of a learning disability, don't waste a bit of sympathy on a D-I student-athlete who manages to become academically ineligible in spite of all the assitance offered to him for the past five semesters.

While I 100% agree with this in principle - Myron has said that the team told him there were "extenuating family circumstances" surrounding this situation. Until we fully know the extent of the family circumstances, maybe we should hold off on this opinion.

Top Bottom