Strib: Nolen to miss Saturday, possibly entire season

thestl

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/blogs/82206847.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUUUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

The madness never ends.

By Myron Medcalf

"Al Nolen, Minnesota's starting point guard and the Big Ten's leader in steals, is expected to miss Saturday's game against Michigan State and possibly the entire second semester due to academic issues, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Nolen has appealed the ruling declaring him academically ineligible and there's a "glimmer of hope" that he'll play again this season, the person said.

The junior from Minneapolis Henry has started in 17 out of 18 contests and averaged 6.7 points and 4.6 assists per game this season.

Another person familiar with the situation said Nolen had to deal with "extenuating family circumstances" that affected his academic performance in the first semester."

Very disappointing...how any athlete can be academically ineligible with all the help and support they get?

Ouch. What a season.

Ouch. What a season.

What a season is right.

I have been the first to applaud Cobbs' abilities, but right now we need Devoe to step up and play some point. While Cobbs will play significantly more now, Devoe has got to provide us with some leadership here.

This season has flat out sucked so far aside from the Butler and OSU games. This off the court crap is bringing me down.

Lets go Cobbs I guess.

Didnt Nolen make the Deans list one year?

Buckle up, I guess. It would be nice to have some good news sometime, soon. We need to fire somebody...... anybody.....

I'd like to see Devoe stay at shooting guard, especially if he can continue scoring like he did against Indiana. If Cobbs can't handle the load himself then have Devoe help, but I think Cobbs can run the point effectively himself.

Completely disappointing. I would like to see Cobbs step up and take the reins.

Sid

Very disappointing...how any athlete can be academically ineligible with all the help and support they get?

from the strib:

Another person familiar with the situation said Nolen had to deal with "extenuating family circumstances" that affected his academic performance in the first semester.

maybe he can take the time off to learn to make layups in traffic

This season has been the perfect storm. What could be next?

This afternoon it was "We'll find out later in the week", now tonight it gets let out. Strange.

My first thought was that this wouldn't affect us that much offensively with the way we struggle running set offenses. The second thought was that Nolen's loss will really hurt defensively. Then I thought of how many points we get off our defense and became really depressed.

I've been a fan of Gopher basketball for a long time, and there have been some great games and fun seasons. But, honest to God, it seems like we're cursed with all the crap we fans have had to endure. Lou Hudson breaking his hand and costing us a Big ten title; the attack on Luke Witte; Landsberger transferring and Olberding leaving early; sanctions because of Musselman; forfeiting all the games for one season because of Mychal Thompson peddling tickets; the scandal in Madison; Clem, Jan, and the season that never was; Przybilla bailing out on the team in the middle of the year; and now this year which so far has had more bad news than good. Makes a person want to adopt Dr. Don's philosophy in regards to drinking.

What's even more sad Mulligan, is that nearly EVERY program in the country feels the same way. There are skeletons in the closets of nearly every single major program out there...

What's even more sad Mulligan, is that nearly EVERY program in the country feels the same way. There are skeletons in the closets of nearly every single major program out there...

Don't doubt that a bit. Trouble is our skeletons get out of the closet.

This hurts. Hurts real bad. And will probably do more harm than good, especially defensively. But let me just throw this out there...

In reality, the team with Nolen is 12-6 with losses to teams like Portland and Indiana. I'm sure everyone can agree that they have performed well below expectations. And judging by how awful the half-court offense has been all season, maybe a forced change at point could end up being a semi-good thing.

In other words, at the rate we're going we'll probably end up missing the tournament. Tinkering with the starting lineup probably can't make it any worse. Who knows what happens with Devoe and Cobbs getting more minutes.

My first thought was that this wouldn't affect us that much offensively with the way we struggle running set offenses. The second thought was that Nolen's loss will really hurt defensively. Then I thought of how many points we get off our defense and became really depressed.

I've been a fan of Gopher basketball for a long time, and there have been some great games and fun seasons. But, honest to God, it seems like we're cursed with all the crap we fans have had to endure. Lou Hudson breaking his hand and costing us a Big ten title; the attack on Luke Witte; Landsberger transferring and Olberding leaving early; sanctions because of Musselman; forfeiting all the games for one season because of Mychal Thompson peddling tickets; the scandal in Madison; Clem, Jan, and the season that never was; Przybilla bailing out on the team in the middle of the year; and now this year which so far has had more bad news than good. Makes a person want to adopt Dr. Don's philosophy in regards to drinking.

Mulligan- that's a pretty good summary of things. Sad thing is that there have been many, many more less major but still heartbreaking sagas. There was the year we lost the Big Ten title by losing the last game of the year to NORTHWESTERN if I recall correctly. That's when you had to win the Big Ten title to get in the dance. There's Rick Rickert leaving prematurely, Mike Bauer constantly injured, the Illinois loss some years ago that killed our NCAAs that year. Then there were a couple of years we got knocked out on selection Sunday.

This year I had high hopes we would break through in a huge way. Then White, Mbakwe and now this. Ouch, ouch ouch.

Just a shout out to everyone - This would normally be serious, devastating, melt down messageboard material. So far, maybe we're just used to getting bad news, it hasn't been.

Seriously sucks though. I'm shocked and my thoughts are going out to Al for whatever he's dealing with.

Mulligan...It's not a cure all, but it helps.

WTF
No excuses, just get your f-ing work done

09-10...the season that could have been...

New goals for the year...see Royce play/or at least get cleared from whatever, see Trevor get cleared but redshirt, and see Allen play some pg

There was a recent appeal from Myron in Twitter regarding the finality of Nolen's situation. I know this is bad news and truthfully I'm concerned about how this affects Al more than the team, yeah I know, but let's all get a hold of ourselves here.

I want an official annoucement from someone. Myron's had some good information lately, but, I want a quote from someone at the U. Not a " person " familar with the situation. I guess that's why we'll know something for sure by the end of the week.

If you were wrong Myron you're going to lose a lot of respect.

READ THIS - possible good news

There was a recent appeal from Myron in Twitter regarding the finality of Nolen's situation. I know this is bad news and truthfully I'm concerned about how this affects Al more than the team, yeah I know, but let's all get a hold of ourselves here.

I want an official annoucement from someone. Myron's had some good information lately, but, I want a quote from someone at the U. Not a " person " familar with the situation. I guess that's why we'll know something for sure by the end of the week.

If you were wrong Myron you're going to lose a lot of respect.

He may be, just Tweeted this:

Please read my blog, folks. I didn't say that anything was final with Nolen's situation.

Who was Myron tweeting this to... GopherHole? I didn't see much uproar elsewhere.

Top Bottom