STrib Letter to Editor: Coach Kill we feel for you, but watch your language

hey carol......you lame arse prude........i have something for you that is crude. piss off.

I don't know how old her son is, but unless he is still watching cartoons, I bet the TV shows he watches have worse language than what Kill's speech had. All the shows I watch on NETWORK TV use pretty much every word in the book except the F-Bomb.

It's a shame that some people are so contemptuous of the letter-writer. She was kind and tactful in suggesting that this coach, who accepts awards from the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and professes Christianity, should adhere to a higher standard. She's right, he should.

what is a shame, is that you are so clueless.

It's a shame that some people are so contemptuous of the letter-writer. She was kind and tactful in suggesting that this coach, who accepts awards from the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and professes Christianity, should adhere to a higher standard. She's right, he should.

Please point to the commandment where you were told not to swear (I'm not talking about taking the lord's name in vain). Someone doesn't seem to know the difference between religious laws and social mores.

Also...

Please point to the commandment where you were told not to swear (I'm not talking about taking the lord's name in vain). Someone doesn't seem to know the difference between religious laws and social mores.

I can't believe you're asking to have this explained....

James chapter 3 (New International Version)

10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

Damn is not a swear word. If people have a problem with "damn" they might not want to go out in public or turn on the t.v..

This lady is just pitiful. THIS issue is what was important enough for you to write a Letter to the Editor? Wow, what a truly sheltered world you must live in.

Damn is not a swear word. If people have a problem with "damn" they might not want to go out in public or turn on the t.v..

This might be the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said. To "damn" something is a curse - it means to condemn it. It's the original curse word. Saying that damn isn't a swear word is like saying that red, blue, and yellow aren't colors.

I didn't hear his speech, but I'm guessing he didn't take the Lord's name in vain. If it's "Un-Christian" to use the words "damn" and "hell", I'm going to have to cross out a lot of words in the bible.

Looks like your guess is off. I understand he said, "What the hell am I supposed to do? Stop? I mean, sit in the chair and wait for the next God-dang seizure to come along?"...

I feel that with two days jail time and proper penance after a visit to the confessional, we can all move past this.

I can respect this lady's view (although personally I am not freaked out by Kill's language). The reality is there are more than just her who feel this way - Jerry Kill is a stubborn son of a gun, but he may take heed of something like this. People love to stereotype and assume - tomorrow night, take a look around the stadium and think about whether any of the people "look like" they would prefer coach Kill "tone it down" a bit.

10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.
Wow. Very specific. Different words become curse words over time while others become acceptable. What defines a curse is determined by society and changes over time. Please point to the bible verse that tells me which curse words I can't say. Otherwise we're still talking about social mores (albeit in the context of your religious interpretation based on a very generic piece of biblical text).

Even Coach Kill has a thing or two to learn about "pr..."

And based upon the message to the state of Minnesota ad he took out, it looks as though he is a quick study. Good job Coach Kill. I think your lovely wife has shown you a better way to go once again.

Coach Kill is in a pretty high profile job. He earns more than most employees of the University of Minnesota ,ofcourse, a lot less than Coach Smith earns. ; 0 )

See the classy "thank you..." from Coach and Mrs. Kill:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/09/22/jerry-kills-thank-you-to-minnesota/

Of course, the way some of you are responding and are referring to the trash that so many people talk and use, it is really no wonder that our Western Civilization is just about crapped out...tapped out and headed pretty much to much lower levels....

; 0 )

Can you just see Coach Kill out on the football field yelling at a player in this woman's perfect world?

"Golly gee wilikers, Eddie, you've got to work harder than that."

or

"Aw shucks, Gary, you need to take a better angle than that."

I have a feeling that she is a proponent of giving all participants a trophy at a sports tournament.

I think the lady's letter was silly but some of the hate towards her seems a little over the top.

The thing that Coach Kill needs to know is that when he is speaking to the print media, the tv camera people, the blow-dries in the news or the people with faces and voices made for radio, he should probably be a little more polished, precise and articulate. There may very well be a time and a place for Coach Kill's version of "...Kansas country cussin'..." But he has to know the time and the place. Sometimes he really needs to roll out the "...Kansas country charmin'..." And other times he needs to come through with "...Kansas country elegance and straight from the heart wisdom..."

Our Golden Gopher Football Coach needs to be a lot of things and needs to be present and accessable to a lot of Minnesotans. It looks to me as though THAT is what he and his lovely bride really do WANT based upon their "Thank You..." to Minnesota page in the strib.

; 0 )

Let me be clear, too, I love coach Kill. I think he's a fine man and an excellent coach, but I do think that (in Christian parlance) he ought to "tame his tongue."

And I bet his mom thinks so too, so if you want to talk trash about women you don't know...

She has every right to express her views. I have the right to express my views on her views. Welcome to America.

Jesus effing christ...Rev. Everybody is quoting bible verses on a college football message board, in a thread started because the largest newspaper in the state published a letter chastising our coach for saying damn in a press conference.

Is it any wonder liquor stores are closed on Sundays in this puritan state? That you can't buy a car on Sundays? That we still have the most archaic set of liquor license laws in the country? These are the people who demand these blue laws stay on the books.

After all, the bible says...

She has every right to express her views. I have the right to express my views on her views. Welcome to America.

You sure do. And I have the right to express my view on your views on her views.

Has someone tried to stop you from expressing your opinion? You should call the attorney general!

Holy $hit, people saying "...it says in the Bible..." Damned Bible Thumpers.

THIS IS DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL!

Go play intramurals, Carol Moen. GO PLAY INTRAMURALS.

haha I go to breakfast and a bible study breaks out.

When Coach Kill was interviewing for his first head coaching job at little Saginaw Valley State, the pompous egotistical President didn't want him because he didn't speak perfect English, even when everyone that met him were charmed, inspired, and convinced he was hands down the best candidate. With my English background, I sometimes cringe when Coach Kill says "I seen" or something like that, but learned to get over that a long time ago and now get a smile when he just lets it flow without a filter. More than anyone I've met or seen, Killer is as sincere and genuine as they come and doesn't try to be somebody he's not.

And, to the mom who started this, his choice of words might be "crude" by your definition, but there was nothing he said that couldn't be broadcast on network TV. He's not a big cusser, but "damn" and "hell" certainly are part of the way he speaks. As a mom, you can tell your son what's acceptable language to use (teaching moments) to you and your family. There is almost infinite wisdom and benefit from your son listening to Coach Kill, while the drawbacks are quite insignificant. He'll help teach important values. Someone else can teach proper English, diction, and censorship.

"JERRY KILL
We feel for you, but watch your language

When I first heard about Gophers football coach Jerry Kill's seizure, I empathized with him, because my son also experiences seizures. However, after hearing Kill's interview on TV, I was less than supportive.

His language during the interview was upsetting. An article came out in the paper called him "feisty," but I would call him "crude." At least the paper cleaned up his language a bit.

This thought came to me: If he talks like that during a live interview, I can only imagine the language he probably uses in his position of coach.

I do wish him well in getting the seizures under control. Now I wish he would get his tongue under control.

CAROL MOEN, NEW BRIGHTON"

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/letters/130389753.html

Go Gophers!!

It annoys the hell out of me when some self righteous person pushes their moral beliefs onto someone else. If Carol chooses not to use colorful language.....cool. That's her right and she shouldn't be labeled negatively for it. However; she doesn't have the right (IMO) to label coach Kill as crude. He used verbs and adjectives that can be heard every day in the work place, school, church and social gatherings.

Personally, I don't give a rats ass about the language someone chooses to use. I tend to focus on their actual deeds. Coach is fighting for his life (if not literally certainly figuratively). He is in the mist of huge battle; his body has turned against him when he needs it most! Coach spent years working to get to where he is right now. This may be his only chance to lead a BCS college football team. What he does with this opportunity will determine if he was a success at his life’s dream. Not only will coach Kills family be affected if he is unsuccessful but also the dozens of family members of the staff that has tied their professional wagons to coach Kill....not to mention the 120 football players and countless U of MN staff and the guy who is directly tied to him....Joel Maturi. That's a lot of pressure.

So while Carol may kind of maybe have a point, I will mimick the words of the great philosopher Chris Rock. "while it is wrong to aggressively shake your wife; if you come home and find her blowing the mailman.....I would understand."

Note: Did I mention I know of at least one player who has heard far worse language under far less serious or stressful circumstances?

In veterinary school, my repro prof once said the word for female dog (which I can't type due to this site although it is in proper context) 53 times in one 50 minute session (yes I counted); should I be complain because that word was decided to be social taboo by some western European civilization a few hundred years ago or should I appreciate the word for what it actually meansth. Also, hopefully Carol never raises a child that aspires to be a vet- as they hear that word quite often in their professional education.

Now that is a quality post. I'm lol'ing in my office, confusing the hell (sorry Rev. E) out of my co-workers.

Now now.. If you are confusing the hell out of your co-workers, then you are accomplishing the Great Commission. =D

Top Bottom