STrib examines allegations of recruiting at Hopkins

Just one school? That does seem unfair. In Kentucky they all do it. It's against the rules, talked about, investigated, front-page news and then it continues. The real question is who are the better recruiters? The private schools are the biggest and best. Some of their high schools have two basketball courts: one high school-size and one college-size so that they are already prepared to run the few extra feet doing tournaments. If a player is special they get invited to Oak Hills Academy,etc. What do you expect parents to do if their kid is recruited for college while he is in the 8th grade?

I read the article and I don't think that the strib really examined anything. They compiled a series of point-counterpoint quotes wrapped a history around them, without actually investigating anything. Since I don't really follow high school hoops, I don't have a dog in this hunt. However, common sense would indicate that some kind of recruiting is going on.

I agree with your analysis of their story and actually thought that when I wrote "examines" that it was too strong of a word and too complementary to the reporters. These allegations have been out there for some time, albeit hard to prove. They aren't the only HS that is accused of recruiting - there are quite a few in various sports around the Twin Cities.

Go Gophers!!

All they did was find a bunch of bitter opposing coaches. They provided nothing that pointed to recruiting, and truthfully who cares? Teams all over the country recruit in all sports. Washburn has like 3 transfers in the last few years but nobody cares since they're still beatable. They hate Hopkins because they can't beat them. I think a squad like Hopkins is good for MN basketball because it brings attention and exposure. A top 10 team brings way more exposure than a normal good instate team

I agree with your analysis of their story and actually thought that when I wrote "examines" that it was too strong of a word and too complementary to the reporters. These allegations have been out there for some time, albeit hard to prove. They aren't the only HS that is accused of recruiting - there are quite a few in various sports around the Twin Cities.

Go Gophers!!

It occurred to me that neither the strib nor the PP would have the talent or resources to uncover a major scandal at the U. Ganglegate, however one feels about it, took months of multiple reporters time (at both papers) and I don't think those kinds of resources are available in the current environment. Clem could probably have gotten away with it under current circumstances. The mainstream press now takes what is fed to them and that's about it.

Hopkins recruits?

Shocking! Not exactly an earth-shattering revelation coming from the Strib.

Was Blake native to the Hopkins district? Not that it matters...

I think they are well past the point of needing to recruit, if they ever did. If your kid was in 8th grade and had the opportunity to get a free education, would it help to play for a school like Hopkins? With the cost of college today, the desire to earn a scholarship is a huge factor in high school sports all over the country.

I highly doubt they're actually going out and "recruiting" these guys. I don't think they have to. Guys wanna go to Hopkins. There's plenty of benefits to going to school there beyond basketball. You need to talk to the league about allowing this open enrollment and such. Don't get mad at Hopkins cause they allow kids to go there outside the school district. Those other coaches are mainly just mad cause those kids didn't choose their schools.

What's really sad is that kids feel like they have to transfer to a school like Hopkins or Lawernce North in Indy(The school that brought you Greg Oden and Mike Conely along with about 7-8 high D-1 players on the roster right now, there starting line is taller than some colleges) to get a scholarship. What is wrong with playing where you grew up. If had any thing near D1 talent in any sport, which I don't, I still would have went to my same high school in southern Minnesota. No questions asked. Thats the way it should work. Overall open enrollment is a good thing but sadly a few team(Hopkins in basketball, Apple Valley in wrestling for example) have to use it for there advantage.

Same type of story from decades ago....Back in the late 50's and early 60's it was rumored for many years that Austin MN was a Southern Minnesota dynasty because if a good player was in the general area that one or both parents got hired at Hormel Meats plant and would move to Austin. And it was all bunk, just rumors.

I'm not sure that a school like Hopkins needs to recruit (if it ever did).

The middle-school and high-school levels of basketball have changed quite a bit compared to when my older kids played ball (about 12-15 years ago). When I look at how parents are directing their kids in AAU ball, etc it's pretty clear to me that parents will direct their kids toward Hopkins if they think it'll make a difference.

The main victims, IMO, are the kids who are probably good but not great players who grow up in the district and are then displaced -- there were a couple of examples in the article. I've always supported high school athletics as a great way for kids to gain some maturity and channel that energy that kids have. It's too bad that's not available to kids who have grown up in the Hopkins system.

And it was all bunk, just rumors.
Exactly.

I don't know anything more than anyone else, but it just seems to me that if the mob has been screaming that Hopkins "recruits," and has been for 20 years, maybe ONE person in 20 years that was promised something or felt they were wronged by Hopkins would step forward and say "I was recruited" or something to that effect. Just ONE person or parent would give the the accusations merit.

As much as the mob doesn't want to admit it, it would seem that the Hopkins program "recruits" by itself; kids know that they are the top program year in and year out, with arguably the best high school coach in the state, at a great school, both academically and athletically. If I was a kid/parent looking for the best chance to develop my game under a coach that knows his stuff and gain exposure to the top collegiate programs while getting a good education, I know where I'd go.

I don't know about any huge conspiracy; it seems pretty simple.

Edit: I agree with MN Snowman's post, just posted mine before I read his.

All I can say is WOW. This story has been talked about for quite some time and the Strib has had at least two reporters at every Hopkins game for the past two months and it was no secret what angle they we're going for and they we're trying really hard to come up with dirt on Hopkins and Novak and this is the best they could do, really weak. They really wanted to dig something up on Royce and claim he was recruited and certain rival coaches who fueled this fire we're making some pretty strong accusations and they came up with nothing. Some of those coaches making accusations may want to take a look at there rosters and see the hometowns of some of there own kids, very few real hometown teams anymore. You wanted open enrollment, well this is what you get. It's one thing to do what St. Paul Central girls basketball did a couple years ago but Cretin and Hopkins, the majority of there kids have been in the program since middle school so personally I see no problem with that. Royce was a different animal all together but his situation was unique and he picked Hopkins on his own and his family moved across the street from the school before they had ever met the Novaks.

And the funny part is all this attention will do nothing but make kids want to go to Hopkins even more.

I can say with 100% certainty that Hopkins recruited Cole Aldrich from 6th grade until basically his sophomore year. If someone was actually looking to get Hopkins in trouble, it'd be incredibly easy to find the proof. I just think the Hopkins board and AD would rather win.

I can say with 100% certainty that Hopkins recruited Cole Aldrich from 6th grade until basically his sophomore year.
I've heard this story multiple times around the AAU circuit, and it gets worse every year. I remember a story where a kid actually asked Aldrich during Jefferson passing time, and came back with the answer that he wasn't contacted by any coaches/school officials at Hopkins; it was a bunch of kids shooting the stuff at open gym. At least that's what I've heard from an extremely reliable source.

A reporter from the Pioneer Press asked him the same thing his senior year, and when pressed for any real truth or detail, Cole admitted he was screwing around. Don't you think an accusation like that with arguably the state's most dominant big man in years would've made some news if true?

If someone was actually looking to get Hopkins in trouble, it'd be incredibly easy to find the proof.
Exactly! And it seems like a LOT of people are trying to get Hopkins "in trouble," based on the amount of people and time that the STrib talked to in the 2 months they were investigating the allegations (including parents, rival coaches, and former players). If it is so easy, you think they would've come up with ONE shred of proof, something, anything?

I think it'd be a riot, and actually a good thing for high school basketball if Hopkins was found guilty of recruiting, it would definitely clear the air. However, I agree with JohnnyGopher that I haven't seen ANYTHING to prove it true, and it doesn't look like any of the reporters did either, just a bunch of sour grapes comments from rival coaches and an angry parent whose son didn't make the varsity team?

It's too bad that's not available to kids who have grown up in the Hopkins system.

Hogwash ... they have the same opportunities to go to other schools as anyone else ... plus they have a huge advantage in growing up in the Hopkins system.

As one of Cole's best friends, trust me, I'm 100% sure there were numerous coaches from Hopkins that talked to Cole. I played with him until 10th grade, was at his house when he was called, etc. It was always assistant coaches, I believe, that were approaching him. I saw it with my own two eyes, and heard it with my own two ears.

Why didn't Cole accuse Hopkins of it when he was asked specifically? What was the point? Clearly Cole enjoyed the interest, they were always extremely nice to him.. there was no reason for Cole to 'turn them in.' Cole's certainly not someone who would care at all about this topic, and he's smart enough to understand it would have done absolutely no good to be 100% honest.

It's well known that Hopkins recruits. "Running" into Cole in 8th grade at a traveling tournament in which Hopkins WASN'T INVOLVED at all was not an accident. It happened at least 4 times during our season, I remember as Cole and I were walking to the car. They recruit BEFORE High School, so it's much, much, much harder to actually prove it. Not to mention the elite players have no reason to out Hopkins and it's really fairly easy to understand why they aren't ever caught.

FWIW, I don't care one bit that they recruit. Other teams could do it as well, although Hopkins is at an advantage because they have a good basketball tradition now with their success the last decade. Youngsters will be more inclined to go to Hopkins where they believe they will get the most exposure.

As a Jefferson grad, I've heard rumblings numerous times that they recruited kids for hockey all the time, while Saterdalen was still there. Lindquist hasn't recruited, since he took over about the same time I entered high school and knew most of the kids. But recruiting happens, and if the kids believe it's going to get them the most exposure, then so be it. These kids need to do what's best for their future, as do the coaches.

It was always assistant coaches, I believe, that were approaching him.
And so the rumor goes. If it was, which assistant was it? When? "Umm, it was an assistant?" Which one? "Um, don't remember." It's all rumors and innuendo until there is actually PROOF. Wouldn't Cole have said who/when/where to that PP reporter that asked him for the story a couple of years ago?

That's how this whole thing started...a bunch of rumors and innuendo. The STrib talked to everyone and their mother, including a bunch of people who really appear to hate Hopkins, yet, nothing came of it. Supposedly 20 years of allegations, yet not one shred of proof.

It started in 6th grade. To this day I couldn't tell you a single assistant coach on Hopkins team, so I certainly wouldn't recognize them. I remember several times after a game Cole talking to numerous people, and he'd always explain who was who. Chris Carr, then a few AAU coaches, and then simply "One of the Hopkins coaches again." Cole knew them, I didn't. Since you seem to be a Hopkins grad, I can ask Cole next time I talk to him if you're in that much denial.

The best part about Cole/Blake's/My senior year was the irony when Hopkins lost in the Semi-Finals of the section to Minnetonka. Minnetonka had Anthony Tucker (An Apple Valley Resident), Andy Burns (Who may have lived in Tonka, but was recruited away from Benilde where he played growing up) and possibly a few others. Ultimately, Hopkins star player was home grown and they lost to a team of transfers. A little payback, I suppose.

As one of Cole's best friends, trust me, I'm 100% sure there were numerous coaches from Hopkins that talked to Cole. I played with him until 10th grade, was at his house when he was called, etc. It was always assistant coaches, I believe, that were approaching him. I saw it with my own two eyes, and heard it with my own two ears.

Why didn't Cole accuse Hopkins of it when he was asked specifically? What was the point? Clearly Cole enjoyed the interest, they were always extremely nice to him.. there was no reason for Cole to 'turn them in.' Cole's certainly not someone who would care at all about this topic, and he's smart enough to understand it would have done absolutely no good to be 100% honest.

It's well known that Hopkins recruits. "Running" into Cole in 8th grade at a traveling tournament in which Hopkins WASN'T INVOLVED at all was not an accident. It happened at least 4 times during our season, I remember as Cole and I were walking to the car. They recruit BEFORE High School, so it's much, much, much harder to actually prove it. Not to mention the elite players have no reason to out Hopkins and it's really fairly easy to understand why they aren't ever caught.

They followed you to the car? That's kinda creepy. Where were the parents?

It started in 6th grade. To this day I couldn't tell you a single assistant coach on Hopkins team, so I certainly wouldn't recognize them. I remember several times after a game Cole talking to numerous people, and he'd always explain who was who. Chris Carr, then a few AAU coaches, and then simply "One of the Hopkins coaches again." Cole knew them, I didn't. Since you seem to be a Hopkins grad, I can ask Cole next time I talk to him if you're in that much denial.

How often do you talk to him?

They followed you to the car? That's kinda creepy. Where were the parents?

Not to the car. I didn't really explain. We were leaving the gym, I believe it was at EP or possibly at a tournament at St. Thomas. It was somewhere that had numerous gyms in a row.. and I know it wasn't Jefferson or Kennedy since that was my hometown.

We got out of the gym, were headed towards the exit, and one of the Hopkins guys was standing out in the hallway area, saw Cole and came and spoke to him. It wasn't like pestering or stalking, it was a cordial chat, and they clearly had talked before. As Cole and I walked to the car(s) with our parents, I asked him who that was. "One of the Hopkins coaches again." I got used to that line.

How often do you talk to him?

4 times a week probably? I'll certainly talk to him one of the next few nights, so I'll see how much he remembers.

FWIW- I've heard about the Aldrich to Hopkins thing as well. I'm pretty far from piped into the rumor mill but now and then, I stumble across folks that are directly tied to a given situation. I think its pretty clear that Hopkins would have loved to have Cole transfer.

FWIW- I've heard about the Aldrich to Hopkins thing as well. I'm pretty far from piped into the rumor mill but now and then, I stumble across folks that are directly tied to a given situation. I think its pretty clear that Hopkins would have loved to have Cole transfer.

So would Highland Park, St. Thomas, CDH, and hundreds of other schools in Minnesota.

Rumors and speculation are worth exactly what I pay for them........NOTHING!!!!!!! He said, she said, they said, I heard, a friend heard and told me, blah blah blah......all Bunk.

Haha well, this isnt a 'friend told me' type situation for me. I heard it with my own ears, more than once. I have nothing against Hopkins and would have no reason to sit here and lie. Recruiting goes on in every sport, whether people are willing to admit it or not. Hopkins just happens to be the most successful public school when it comes to getting the best transfers, so of course it's a touchy subject.

Top Bottom