STrib examines allegations of recruiting at Hopkins

How naive are you people? I completely believe that Hopkins recruited the hell out of Aldrich. I am sure every time they saw him at a tournament they reminded him how great Hopkins was and that there was always a spot there for him.

Hopkins is dirty as a used diaper. Come on people...

The real losers are the kids who have the talent to play varsity ball almost anywhere, but instead they spend their HS careers mopping up in JV games and riding the end of the bench. I dont care how good of a guy Novak is, he bends the rules and I have no respect for the Hopkins program at all.

he bends the rules and I have no respect for the Hopkins program at all.
Once again...0 proof...just your own unfounded opinion.

Everyone has been trying to find one shred of evidence of impropriety on Novak's part, and no has come up with ONE thing for 20 years. 20 years! If there was any evidence whatsoever, you think some kid that was contacted by Novak, some parent that thought their son was screwed, SOMEONE would have something to back up these allegations in 20 years, especially if it's as widespread as all the mob says it is.

Surely there are enough people that want to see Hopkins fail. If there was proof, it would've been brought forward by now.

Jefferson Hockey

FWIW, I don't care one bit that they recruit. Other teams could do it as well, although Hopkins is at an advantage because they have a good basketball tradition now with their success the last decade. Youngsters will be more inclined to go to Hopkins where they believe they will get the most exposure.

As a Jefferson grad, I've heard rumblings numerous times that they recruited kids for hockey all the time, while Saterdalen was still there. Lindquist hasn't recruited, since he took over about the same time I entered high school and knew most of the kids. But recruiting happens, and if the kids believe it's going to get them the most exposure, then so be it. These kids need to do what's best for their future, as do the coaches.

Add me to the list of folks that heard the Aldrich rumors to Hopkins as well. Like TubbyTime, I'm a Bloomington guy and I know some people that know some people. As for Jefferson hockey, I grew up playing in the Kennedy program and I unfortunately had to play against the Jefferson dynasty of the early 90's and needless to say we got our butts handed to us pretty much every time. I went to Holy Angels for high school, which is a whole different issue for another day. Jefferson was clean for the most part under Saterdalen, but a funny thing happened when the Kennedy/Jefferson border was moved. A number of prominent players had "For Sale" signs in their yard the next morning. Perfectly legal, but funny nonetheless.

My good friend and best man in my wedding had a brother who the #1 goalie for the Jefferson dynasty as they came up through Squirts, Pee-Wees, and Bantams. When they got to high school, Saterdalen went out and "recruited' a goalie from Minnetonka and my buddy's brother ended up quitting after his Freshman year. He was better off anyways since he was a D-I soccer prospect. Anyways, my point is that Jefferson ran off 3 straight state titles and nobody said a word about this goalie from Minnetonka. Half their team played for the Gophers and the other half played college hockey somewhere, so I guess a decent goalie wasn't why they were so good. They had several NHL prospects.

"Recruiting" happens everywhere. If Hopkins wasn't any good, nobody would care.

Once again...0 proof...just your own unfounded opinion.

Everyone has been trying to find one shred of evidence of impropriety on Novak's part, and no has come up with ONE thing for 20 years. 20 years! If there was any evidence whatsoever, you think some kid that was contacted by Novak, some parent that thought their son was screwed, SOMEONE would have something to back up these allegations in 20 years, especially if it's as widespread as all the mob says it is.

Surely there are enough people that want to see Hopkins fail. If there was proof, it would've been brought forward by now.

Where there is smoke, there is fire usually. I don't need hard proof like a taped phone conversation to know that Hopkins puts out the vibe to all the top players in the area.

Saying there's no proof Hopkins recruits is like saying there's no proof Barry Bond's took steroids. It's so obvious that finding actual hard proof isn't necessary.

This certainly does go on everywhere. I think once the momentum of the program takes off, many things come into play. My son played for "the" football school here in Lincoln. Before you laugh, 11 kids from Southeast's 2 state championship teams in the early 2000's played D-1 sports including Alex Gordon, 3rd baseman for the KC Royals and Barrett Ruud, one of the NFL's leading tacklers for Tampa Bay. The point is, once a school gets very good at a sport, alot of kids want to go there. It makes it very easy to talk to kids about coming there because kids want to go there. When that school has been good for a couple of decades the recruiting almost happens all by itself.

Yea this happens everywhere.

When I was playing high school bball in St. Louis, Vashon was grabbing up all the best players in the city and winning championship after championship.

Not to mention private schools recruit all the time, but you rarely hear anything about that.

Top Bottom