Stoudermire suspended

What exactly are these grievous offenses under Brewster? Whaley was a d-bag, I'll admit that (I was never a big fan of recruiting him in the 1st place). Aside from that...a few underage drinking tickets? A fight or two at party's? One idiot who tried to flee a party on a moped & had most of the charges dropped? Pretty harmless stuff by D1 football standards no? As I recall in just a couple months time period Mason had 4 players involved in a sexual assault & 1 who was actually playing while on the lam for armed robbery? "Increasing"? lol

If Troy is going to leave after getting suspended, then fine. Just another whiny premadonna who in his mind is better then he really is.

Good god college football is getting more and more like the NFL every day.....

CRG, before some ass jumps all over you, the sexual assault happened a few months into Brewster's tenure. However, the McField McMess was all Mason.

If Troy is going to leave after getting suspended, then fine. Just another whiny premadonna who in his mind is better then he really is.

Good god college football is getting more and more like the NFL every day.....

+1

While it's a bummer that Troy decides he's bigger than the 'U', I'll be first to say I probably won't miss him much. If a player is such a weak-kneed, zipper for a back primadonna that he's gonna act out as if he's above the team and 'threaten' to leave said team.. Then I don't want him.

Even if Brew wrongly chased him out.

I have no facts and thus can make no conclusions. I would handle the sitiution as such:

I would gladly welcome a man back that recognizes his errors and admits those to his teamates (and possibly the public), even if this means losing. I would not welcome back a boy who refuses to acknowledge his faults, even if this means winning.

I hope, I pray, I want Troy to follow the former path...that I cannot control. I know that the University of Minnesota will continue exist with or without him. If he wants to quit, to leave, go ahead. Being apart of a team is not for the faint of heart. Either way, go Gophers.

Really? Ever ask yourself why his players keep getting in trouble? Off the field incidents seem to be increasing under Brewster's watch.

Wow! Sounds like the whole team is in trouble, better shutdown the program and get new players.

Well, I guess we'll have to find someone else to get destroyed by USC on the kick return leading to a game changing touchdown. Seriously, though, he's an above average kick returner that is a complete non-factor in the passing game mainly because he has very suspect hands...and apparently he's a quitter. He's a nice player to have on your roster because of his explosiveness but he really hasn't contributed all that much.

Well, I guess we'll have to find someone else to get destroyed by USC on the kick return leading to a game changing touchdown. Seriously, though, he's an above average kick returner that is a complete non-factor in the passing game mainly because he has very suspect hands...and apparently he's a quitter. He's a nice player to have on your roster because of his explosiveness but he really hasn't contributed all that much.

Brewster and his revolving door types could have the next Jerry Rice on their team and not realize it or know how to use him. Stoudemire could've contributed as much as you asked of him. He's a great athlete. He'll do better in another program if given the chance. We'll find that out soon enough. One thing I know for sure about Brewster - you make a few mistakes and all of the sudden you're benched - unless you're Adam Weber.

My take is that Stoudermire's departure won't make that big of a difference for the Gophers. It is time the players start to take responsibility for their actions off the field and look how it has effected the team on the field.

My opinion is that if Theret would have been on the field during the USD game the outcome would have been different. His command in the defensive secondary would help the younger players get adjusted and line up where they needed instead our DBs/Safeties were all over the field.

Stoudermire is a kick returner, and nothing more. He's a WR that can't catch. If there are other D1 schools looking for skill players that can't catch, i'm sure he'll find a home somewhere. As for the Gophers, they'll just need to find a new KR. That's it. Not a big loss.

This is bad no matter how much some of you want to pretend it isn't.

Stoudermire is a kick returner, and nothing more. He's a WR that can't catch. If there are other D1 schools looking for skill players that can't catch, i'm sure he'll find a home somewhere. As for the Gophers, they'll just need to find a new KR. That's it. Not a big loss.

I'd be real surprised if this didn't have to do with the KO return USC brought back, Troy got absolutely blown out of his lane, probably got chewed a new one in special teams film. He got lit up 2-3 times on Saturday actually.
I overheard Brewster talking to a table aside about Troy last year after the MSU game at his radio show at Sensor's, basically saying that Troy is a "very self centered person". It looked like he had been overtaken by Bryant Allen on the depth chart Sat. It doesn't take much imagination to think there could have been a conflict over where he sees himself and where the coaches see him.
Really too bad, the kid is absolutely a legit weapon, hope he finds what he's looking for somewhere else.

Stoud beat out all the other receivers despite his suspect hands. He got immediately pulled for dropping yet another 5yrd out, but after Allen made the catch he was back in. He helps us on offense by stretching the field and providing a playmaker on the field. The only way this doesn't hurt is Allen returns a KO for 40 yrds, and makes another easy 5 yard catch. At that point we easily forget the loss, otherwise if we don't have another playmaker behind him we know why the staff continued to try to make something out of him.

Add Stoudamire to the growing list of Brewster recruits that he and his staff have either failed to utilize or even get on the feild. Just to name a few Reeves, Gray, Green, and Hageman from our current roster. Either Brewster is over selling his recruits talent or he and his staff can't coach them up enough to get them playing time. My guess is both.

Stoudermire is a good player for the Gophs. My hope is that TS decides to stay and finish his NCAA career here at MN.

Yeah, I heard that the coaches have cooled on him, and aren't upset that he accepted another offer. Oh wait, this isn't the recruiting board?.

It would suck for him, as a Junior to transfer and then sit out a year just to play one season. It seems like a lot less work to just work your tail off and make the most out of your last year at MN.

So Troy is going to transfer and play one year at another school after sitting out a year? Sounds like a stupid move for him. He'll end up d1aa. Why would anyone else waste two scholarship years for a guy who will probably just return kicks for you?

Or he'll transfer to D1-AA and play two years.

Add Stoudamire to the growing list of Brewster recruits that he and his staff have either failed to utilize or even get on the feild. Just to name a few Reeves, Gray, Green, and Hageman from our current roster. Either Brewster is over selling his recruits talent or he and his staff can't coach them up enough to get them playing time. My guess is both.

I don't know why I'm even replying to this, but here goes...

There will be "misses" in every recruiting class (see "Hayo Carpenter"). No school or coach can perfectly evaluate talent and/or guarantee that every single recruit will be successful. That said, here are some comments on the guys you called out:

Reeves: Missed a full year due to academics and is still catching up. WILL contribute before it's all said and done.
Gray: ?? He's our #1 receiver. He'll be our #1 QB next year.
Green: Was our #2 receiver the past two years and showed some good skills. Is currently injured, but also has possibly been passed up by better players. That's a good thing.
Hageman: He's a rFreshman! Most guys get at least a couple years before being labeled a bust.

Shall we talk about just a few of the other recruits who HAVE gotten on the field and been proven to be good players who were NOT over-hyped?

Jewhan Edwards, Brandon Kirksey, Keanon Cooper, Donnell Kirkwood, Gary Tinsley, Simoni Lawrence, Ed Olson (there are more)...

Brewster and his revolving door types could have the next Jerry Rice on their team and not realize it or know how to use him. Stoudemire could've contributed as much as you asked of him. He's a great athlete. He'll do better in another program if given the chance. We'll find that out soon enough. One thing I know for sure about Brewster - you make a few mistakes and all of the sudden you're benched - unless you're Adam Weber.

At this level, it's always you make a few mistakes and you're benched. How many outstanding players are riding the pine at the next level while they watch someone else play? It's part of the deal and you learn real fast to do what's best for the team or head down the road. That said, the kid in question has one real talent: speed. Seldom knows what to do with it and to my knowledge never breaks the play for a touch. Good field position though, but there are probably a couple other kids on the roster who can do the same thing. Field position ain't six points and the great returners break one on their own now and then. When he was recruited we were in desperate need of speed. Now we have some of that and he has to do some other things as well. Also, if any of you remember, when he was recruited the consensus on this astute forum was that McKnight was only part of the Skyline deal in order to assure the presence of Stoudermire, Reeves and Cooper. A good many contributors here opined that McKnight had no business playing major college ball. Yes, there is a lot of knowledge on this board, but sometimes you have to hunt a long time to find it.

I don't know why I'm even replying to this, but here goes...

There will be "misses" in every recruiting class (see "Hayo Carpenter"). No school or coach can perfectly evaluate talent and/or guarantee that every single recruit will be successful. That said, here are some comments on the guys you called out:

Reeves: Missed a full year due to academics and is still catching up. WILL contribute before it's all said and done.
Gray: ?? He's our #1 receiver. He'll be our #1 QB next year.
Green: Was our #2 receiver the past two years and showed some good skills. Is currently injured, but also has possibly been passed up by better players. That's a good thing.
Hageman: He's a rFreshman! Most guys get at least a couple years before being labeled a bust.

Shall we talk about just a few of the other recruits who HAVE gotten on the field and been proven to be good players who were NOT over-hyped?

Jewhan Edwards, Brandon Kirksey, Keanon Cooper, Donnell Kirkwood, Gary Tinsley, Simoni Lawrence, Ed Olson (there are more)...

If all these guys are so good how come the Gophers are so bad?

I'm sure brewster ticked the kid off he was one of our best ....the idiot brew is the one that needs to be suspended

What exactly are these grievous offenses under Brewster? Whaley was a d-bag, I'll admit that (I was never a big fan of recruiting him in the 1st place). Aside from that...a few underage drinking tickets? A fight or two at party's? One idiot who tried to flee a party on a moped & had most of the charges dropped? Pretty harmless stuff by D1 football standards no? As I recall in just a couple months time period Mason had 4 players involved in a sexual assault & 1 who was actually playing while on the lam for armed robbery? "Increasing"? lol

Clearly you meant Brewster had 4 kids involved in a sexual assault. Mason was gone by then and can't be blamed for behavior tolerated by the new regime.

Top Bottom