Stormy Rowing Ahead?

So, if it is true that the Gophers practice at 6AM...
and if the game is delayed a couple hours....we certainly won't be at our peak physically/mentally
as we close in on the midnight hour.

Rain is fine— can be fun. Lightening sucks ass so let’s hope we’re all lightened out from earlier in the week.
Yes, lightening sucks. From a player's standpoint it may not be a huge issue, other than for QB's and maybe receivers. Throwing a wet football is a real struggle for some people, Troy Aikman for instance. Anyone who says its not a problem to throw a wet football never played QB. Now, from a fan's standpoint, I will not mind sitting in a light, steady rain. Go Gophers!

Last edited:

If the Gopher game gets delayed, those of us watching at home can check out the NDSU- Colorado game. Colorado 'should' win this handily, but if NDSU can keep it close, things might get wacky.

If the Gopher game gets delayed, those of us watching at home can check out the NDSU- Colorado game. Colorado 'should' win this handily, but if NDSU can keep it close, things might get wacky.
Deion has been pretty irritated as of late with the mere suggestion that NDSU might be able to upset them. I'm hoping that the game is close just to see his demeanor on the sideline.

Deion has been pretty irritated as of late with the mere suggestion that NDSU might be able to upset them. I'm hoping that the game is close just to see his demeanor on the sideline.
No! Can't give NDSU hope... ;)

Yes, lightening sucks. From a player's standpoint it may not be a huge issue, other than for QB's and maybe receivers. Throwing a wet football is a real struggle for some people, Troy Aikman for instance. Anyone who says its not a problem to throw a wet football never played QB. Now, from a fan's standpoint, I will not mind sitting in a light, steady rain. Go Gophers!
Shouldn’t even be an issue any more.

My buddy’s company, and they are killing it.

Every coach worth their weight, has a 5 gallon bucket of water at every practice and every other series is with a wet football.

Great idea! Do the Gophers have one of these babies?

Thought something completely different seeing the product name....

Since the schedule now always includes the Thursday before Labor Day weekend I always take Friday off. Who knows what the weather will do. If it does storm I am staying in the concourse. There is no way I am going over to Mariucci.
We have developed a nice little tradition connected to the annual Thursday night opener. I normally dislike a non-Saturday game but have found the first one is tolerable by working in a repeating schedule: drive to campus midday Thur, bars and restaurants, abbreviated tailgate at 4:00, and then the game. With the weather looking grim this year, we have called off today’s tailgate in favor of extended bar time.

I take Thursday AND Friday off. We head up to the lake mid Friday and enjoy wall to wall college football from the cabin on Saturday.

I thought UNC's one "known" is they have an "electric" running back. The o-line is uncertain.

Gophers can run the ball. UNC maybe too...

We have developed a nice little tradition connected to the annual Thursday night opener. I normally dislike a non-Saturday game but have found the first one is tolerable by working in a repeating schedule: drive to campus midday Thur, bars and restaurants, abbreviated tailgate at 4:00, and then the game. With the weather looking grim this year, we have called off today’s tailgate in favor of extended bar time.

I take Thursday AND Friday off. We head up to the lake mid Friday and enjoy wall to wall college football from the cabin on Saturday.
Went to Dinkytown yesterday at 4 PM to hit Gold Country and it is all tore up west of TCF. It was an absolute mess. Strongly suggest looking at MnDOT 511 Metro Traffic Webpage to just see the lay of the land. Here's a screenshot for this morning:

1724934034376.png

It will not look like this from 3 PM on. I'm glad we park at C-86 on the West Bank and choo choo over. Ski U Gridlock...

Went to Dinkytown yesterday at 4 PM to hit Gold Country and it is all tore up west of TCF. It was an absolute mess. Strongly suggest looking at MnDOT 511 Metro Traffic Webpage to just see the lay of the land. Here's a screenshot for this morning:

View attachment 33258

It will not look like this from 3 PM on. I'm glad we park at C-86 on the West Bank and choo choo over. Ski U Gridlock...
Yes, 10th is obliterated.

Weather apps seem to have the percentages dropping to near 50% but for a longer period of time, through 10pm.

In the end it's always 50/50, it either will or it won't.

View attachment 33258

Leaving the U park and ride on Monday on 4th St to 35W took us an extra 20 mins to get through campus with no students and no game. It will be an absolute cluster today. First thing my wife says, “good thing we park on West Bank”.

Overall there is very little change to the forecast from yesterday. A line of strong storms will move through the Twin Cities around 7 PM, There are a few models that try to bring the line in a little earlier, which I would love to see.

Much like I mentioned yesterday, I think the storms move through around the planned kickoff time, and the start of the game will be delayed until around 8 or 830.

It's not 50/50, it will storm this evening.
While I agree it's a near 100% certainty it will storm at some point this evening, I do think it's closer to 50/50 proposition on an hour by hour basis.

Overall there is very little change to the forecast from yesterday. A line of strong storms will move through the Twin Cities around 7 PM, There are a few models that try to bring the line in a little earlier, which I would love to see.

Much like I mentioned yesterday, I think the storms move through around the planned kickoff time, and the start of the game will be delayed until around 8 or 830.
Any chance the weather holds off through tailgating time?

Top Bottom