Stormy Rowing Ahead?

For sure.

Fun trivia, I think this will be 10 years since the last one. I was at the game in 2014 Vs. San Jose State where we had like seven passing yards but just pounded the rock and won 24-7.

Game was delayed for about an hour and there were some high winds with the rain, but after it cleared up pretty nicely. I remember going to the Buffalo Wild Wings across the street after to celebrate a win and there were still a lot of fans around having a good time. Although it was an early game I think so it wasn't too late haha.

Interestingly enough, Michigan that day was hosting Utah and also had a storm delay, theirs lasted more than two hours. The next week the Gophers beat them for the Jug.

Yuck....I remember that game too. Smashing everyone into the concourse while we waited.....

The storms won't be as severe as last night or early this morning, but there will likely be lightning.

This morning's models are showing multiple rounds of storms on Thursday, round 1 around midday, and round 2 around kickoff.
That's not great. Based on your comments, I assume that although not severe these storms will likely roll through like a wave similar to the last 24 hours and not be the scattered storms variety.

Yuck....I remember that game too. Smashing everyone into the concourse while we waited.....

I remember a Michigan St. game (I think) where everyone hid from the rain in the concourse and eventually the PA announcer told students who weren't sheltering that their parents wouldn't get their tuition refunded if they were struck by lightning ...

Flying in Thursday. Supposed to land at about 2:30. Hoping to dodge poor weather then and for the game. Sounds like a pipe dream right now. Go Gophers!

Last edited:

well, if you put any stock in the National Weather Service - their current outlook for Minneapolis on Thursday shows an 80% chance of rain from 1pm to 6pm, and then a 54% chance of rain from 7pm to Midnight.

FWIW, I knew a guy who ran a weather forecasting service for radio stations. He told me that he felt very good about his predictions covering the next 24 hours. he said 24 to 48 hours got a little dicey, and anything over 48 hours was, in his words, "educated guesswork."

I'll note the probability of thunder is a little skewed the wrong direction.

For the record as best I can tell I have no worries with thunder...:p

However, with the direction things are going I can see a day when there will be thunder delays that move us all to the concourses for 30 minutes...

I posted elsewhere how the ONLY rain in the next nine days of the Mpls forecast is for the six hours during and surrounding the Gopher game. You can’t make it up!

Some of it looks like rather heavy rain too.

1724845804574.png

It's very likely that we will see a line of strong T-Storms move through the area between 6-8 PM tomorrow evening. My best guess this morning is that they come through right around 7 PM/kickoff.

The good news is these should move through the area fairly quickly within 1-2 hrs. But I would expect a delay to start the game, or possibly shortly after the game starts. If it's delayed before kickoff, right now I would guess a 8-8:30 PM start time.

Worst case if storms hang around and they decide to cancel, do you think UNC would hang around and they play sometime Friday? There's no other time they could reschedule to.

Worst case if storms hang around and they decide to cancel, do you think UNC would hang around and they play sometime Friday? There's no other time they could reschedule to.

I think that is what would happen, but I don't also think there's any chance of it actually happening. Once the line of cold front storms move through, the drier air will end additional storm chances.

They'll get the game in tomorrow night, even if it lasts until the early hours on Friday.

That is my thoughts, game delay possible (maybe even probable) but a reschedule is highly improbable given this will just be a line of storms.

That is my thoughts, game delay possible (maybe even probable) but a reschedule is highly improbable given this will just be a line of storms.
I agree, especially with the national Fox crew here. I imagine most of the crew with likely have Saturday game responsibilities as well. So, even with barely any sleep, they will want them out of here on Friday morning flights.

Here is the forecast from Accuweather for the meat of tailgating and game time.

Picture1.png

Yeah there’s no way they postpone the game to the next day

Absolutely no chance this game will be rescheduled if postponed. No chance what so ever. Officials, stadium p ersonal, hotel rooms, etc..can ‘t be done.

well, if you put any stock in the National Weather Service - their current outlook for Minneapolis on Thursday shows an 80% chance of rain from 1pm to 6pm, and then a 54% chance of rain from 7pm to Midnight.

FWIW, I knew a guy who ran a weather forecasting service for radio stations. He told me that he felt very good about his predictions covering the next 24 hours. he said 24 to 48 hours got a little dicey, and anything over 48 hours was, in his words, "educated guesswork."
Even 24 hours is still challenging at times. I think there was like a 1% chance of rain today and it rained this morning.

Even 24 hours is still challenging at times. I think there was like a 1% chance of rain today and it rained this morning.
I'm sure GWG can comment more but I think the most challenging part many times is the timing of when the storms/front comes through too.

I'm already staying up until 2:00 AM on a work week to watch this. I will cry myself to sleep if it's weather delayed. I've been waiting a year for this bros.

Rain is fine— can be fun. Lightening sucks ass so let’s hope we’re all lightened out from earlier in the week.

Top Bottom