Stormy Rowing Ahead?

Just no lightning delays please...
For sure.

Fun trivia, I think this will be 10 years since the last one. I was at the game in 2014 Vs. San Jose State where we had like seven passing yards but just pounded the rock and won 24-7.

Game was delayed for about an hour and there were some high winds with the rain, but after it cleared up pretty nicely. I remember going to the Buffalo Wild Wings across the street after to celebrate a win and there were still a lot of fans around having a good time. Although it was an early game I think so it wasn't too late haha.

Interestingly enough, Michigan that day was hosting Utah and also had a storm delay, theirs lasted more than two hours. The next week the Gophers beat them for the Jug.

It's all about the timing of the rain. We don't get many washout days this time of year. However, I don't imagine the big guys in the trenches will complain about temps in the 70's and clouds compared to today.

Thought this was going to be about the 4 pt swing in the spread to now being underdogs.

Storms hopefully hit mid-day and we are good to go in the evening.

For sure.

Fun trivia, I think this will be 10 years since the last one. I was at the game in 2014 Vs. San Jose State where we had like seven passing yards but just pounded the rock and won 24-7.

Game was delayed for about an hour and there were some high winds with the rain, but after it cleared up pretty nicely. I remember going to the Buffalo Wild Wings across the street after to celebrate a win and there were still a lot of fans around having a good time. Although it was an early game I think so it wasn't too late haha.

Interestingly enough, Michigan that day was hosting Utah and also had a storm delay, theirs lasted more than two hours. The next week the Gophers beat them for the Jug.
There was a more recent game in the Fleck era, night game against Mich St that was delayed before due to lightning.

My phone app suggests a deluge of thunderstorm rain between 4 and 6 PM on Thursday. The Thunderstorm aspect of this is a concern for potential game delays for what is already a work week night game.

Meanwhile, channel 11 weather listed just “scattered showers” for Thursday. We shall see.

For sure.

I recall a home game against MSU that had a long rain delay. The game became interesting in the 4th quarter, but for our Gophers, it was too little too late.

https://gophersports.com/sports/football/stats/2017/michigan-state/boxscore/2011

https://gophersports.com/news/2017/10/14/Gopher_Rally_Falls_Short_in_30_27_Loss

Last edited:

Kind of bummed if it rains...

But I like adventure so maybe I will wear swimming trunks with a light raincoat.

Suggestions are welcome.

I may stay clear.

"99% chance of rain. Thunderstorms with strong gusty winds, then skies turn dark as the wicked witch appears."

Where's the fun in that?

GWG where are you?

Hey Bild!

It all comes down to the timing of the cold front.

So far it has looked like storms would be earlier in the day, and most would exit the area by late afternoon.

But if the cold front slows down, that could push the storm chances back to around kickoff and the first half of the game.

Once the cold front passes, the humidity will begin to drop and the storm chances will disappear.

It's really hard to narrow down timing until we get closer to Thursday, but as of now there will be storms in the area throughout the day Thursday.

Hey Bild!

It all comes down to the timing of the cold front.

So far it has looked like storms would be earlier in the day, and most would exit the area by late afternoon.

But if the cold front slows down, that could push the storm chances back to around kickoff and the first half of the game.

Once the cold front passes, the humidity will begin to drop and the storm chances will disappear.

It's really hard to narrow down timing until we get closer to Thursday, but as of now there will be storms in the area throughout the day Thursday.
Let's hope it's not a copy of the way things worked out this evening. If so, we could have quite a late start.

A reminder: The current NCAA policy requires that play be suspended if there is lightning within 8 miles of the stadium. It requires a 30 minute delay, but this may vary because the time count will restart if a lightning strike occurs within the 8 mile radius.

But I like adventure so maybe I will wear swimming trunks with a light raincoat.

Suggestions are welcome.
The mental picture of you in your Speedos was good for a chuckle. If I could offer a word of advice...resist the temptation...EVERYBODY has a camera now days. :whistle:

Suggestions are welcome.
The mental picture of you in your Speedos was good for a chuckle. If I could offer a word of advice...resist the temptation...EVERYBODY has a camera now days. :whistle:

Jokes aside...

I don't know how people cope with rain. I am guessing a rain poncho. But then your pants must get soaked. Maybe track pants... I hope it doesn't pour.

Let's hope it's not a copy of the way things worked out this evening. If so, we could have quite a late start.

A reminder: The current NCAA policy requires that play be suspended if there is lightning within 8 miles of the stadium. It requires a 30 minute delay, but this may vary because the time count will restart if a lightning strike occurs within the 8 mile radius.

The storms won't be as severe as last night or early this morning, but there will likely be lightning.

This morning's models are showing multiple rounds of storms on Thursday, round 1 around midday, and round 2 around kickoff.

Top Bottom