Votes: 52 25.6%
  • Slightly worse

Votes: 27 13.3%
  • Much worse

Votes: 15 7.4%

• Total voters

GopherBeef

Reaction score
How would you rate the program after three seasons (sans bowl) with Brewster at the helm? Choose your rating based on how the program stands now compared to when Brew took over.

With all the arguments over what this program is and is not, I would like to get a gauge on where the populace stands in terms of the state of the program.

Overall I think the program is improving... just at a slower pace than many would like. The quality of incoming talent is better. Now we just need to see what the coaching staff can do with it.

Hopefully Fisch & company can figure out how to put a simplified version of his offense on the field and maybe incrementally add more options over time as the players get used to the new system. The shock of moving from the spread to a very complicated pro-style offense was obvious to all this season.

Overall I think the defense did well this year. Always room for improvement but I think they played well and mainly suffered from being on the field way too much.

The program is clearly improving. Minnesota is best known for it's bad fans that have no understanding of football. The coordinators are keepers for a change. They need to stay. Weber's year was inexplicable, but that happens and is terribly frustrating, but not more frustrating than the OL (difference is they are coming out of it). If Weber doesn't return to at least prior form, there is Gray and Alipate. All those dissing Alipate are foolish. The D is coming into it's own. Those having coronaries over next year's D are even more foolish (hint: all schools having starters leave every year). My gosh, this rhetoric would be funny if it wasn't about 'my team.'

banned from voting?

I went to vote on the poll and was told that I'm not allowed to. Why is that? Anyone else find the same thing?:confused:

Take a look at 2006. Barely beat an FCS school to gain bowl eligibility and went to the Insight Bowl. Same team, different uniforms.

2006's Offense won a Trophy game........
Big deal. They needed that game to gain bowl eligibility. 6-6 is still the same no matter how you slice it. If the Gophers had beaten Iowa but lost to Northwestern, would you feel better about this season?

Big deal. They needed that game to gain bowl eligibility. 6-6 is still the same no matter how you slice it. If the Gophers had beaten Iowa but lost to Northwestern, would you feel better about this season?

Brewster would have a Trophy win...so yes.......

I'm on Gopherhole completely losing my mind. Let's drop football! Aaaaaaargh!

They have acted like what they are on a whole, not very experienced. But I do think they are doing a pretty good job of recruiting, and are going about building a good foundation for a good program. On a whole, I think most fr. should be redshirted and not be counted on a whole lot until their 3rd yr.(Rs Soph) If they get thrown it to early, they can develope bad habits and some can be adversely affected mentally, look at Collato. Now he might be ready to contribute alot as a Sr. They will also get their confidence and not be continually beaten down by more mature kids. Give them 5 yrs. and then we will know but not until then.

The most recent loss

Stings more than any in memory. Most fans would feel better about the season soley because it ended in a win. Change the dates played and the results, but noting else about the season and it should be a wash.

That was a Pyrric victory over Iowa. Yeah, it was nice to get the pig for a year. But if we had lost, Mason would have gotten S-canned in November, rather than January. I'd like to think that would have led to us having a better selection of candidates to choose from. There's a few guys on the right side of this table I'd rather have on our sideline right about now.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/coaching_changes_2007.html

Then again, a few I wouldn't

That was a Pyrric victory over Iowa. Yeah, it was nice to get the pig for a year. But if we had lost, Mason would have gotten S-canned in November, rather than January. I'd like to think that would have led to us having a better selection of candidates to choose from. There's a few guys on the right side of this table I'd rather have on our sideline right about now.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/coaching_changes_2007.html

Then again, a few I wouldn't

What about the last 3 Iowa losses? What are those?

Surprising results. I voted "basically the same", but I was surprised that significantly more votes went to the "improved" column than the "worse" column given the posts here the past few days.

I Love the Gophers too, but.....

It's interesting how differently people see things. I am terribly concerned with what I observed this year. More so it seems than most of the other members on here. First of all, Coach Brewster absolutely means well and has the best intentions for this program. Unfortunately, if you observe his manner and communication style, it is easy to tell that he does not have the personality to be a successful head coach and is really "play-acting" the part by trying to be positive and say the right things. He's read one too many "leadership" and/or positive thinking books and has obviously bought into that philosophy. He lacks independent and critical thinking skills, has less than adequate judgment, is more concerned with perception than reality, and sounds like a robot that has been pre-programmed by Tony Robbins. (It would actually be interesting to learn how/when he developed this odd and unnatural personality.) He claims he has very strong and deep viewpoints/convictions on certain subjects, yet in reality he changes his mind constantly and inconsistently applies these convictions. It would take way too much time and effort to provide examples for what I'm saying, but for anyone that truly pays close attention to everything that comes out of his mouth (whether it be in the paper, on the Sid Hartman show on Sunday mornings, or during his radio and television show) and to the decisions he's made, you well know that this man is currently in a position for which he is ill-suited and untrained. In addition, if you've observed Brewster interacting with his players, he seems to vacillate between trying to be a hard-ass and trying to be a "cool and hip" friend to his players. Again, the guy can't decide who he is as a man, as a coach, as a leader, etc. Is it any wonder why he couldn't determine, early on and from his own observation, how flawed and ineffective the offense was and how unbelievably unsophisticated, predictable and almost child-like the play-calling was for substantial portions of many games. How many times did I see them run a screen play where Weber threw the ball to a running back or the tight end who was standing in the middle of the line of scrimmage next to two, three or four defenders? I've watched football for almost 40 years and not only have I never seen this play before, I can't imagine anyone ever dreaming up such a play. It never, and I repeat never, worked for the Gophers. Yet, somebody kept calling it (in some cases up to three times a game) and was stubborn enough to insist that it had to work. Which brings up another point; Coach Brewster is a very stubborn man who hired a very insecure, immature, stubborn and unorganized offensive coordinator. A coordinator who devised (whether on his own or with others) game plans that, for the most part, were ill-conceived and haphazard at best. And this is a man that Brewster referred to as a "Dead Shot". Why would any intelligent and thoughtful coach ever go out on a limb and say that? Because it sounded good, it made Brewster seem like a genius and it helped Brewster to believe that what he did was right even though deep down he knew he was taking a big risk (and just think if Brewster didn't realize that he was taking a big risk...again, question the man's decision making and judgment). In closing, I ask that each and every one of you go back and look at the offensive production from each and every game. Don't just look at the SDSU game or the Iowa game, or the Illinois game, or the Penn St. game (39 yards at half-time). Please look carefully at each and every game. Look at the games we won and how we won them. Look at how we would've lost several of those games had the defense not made a miraculous play or had the opposing team not made a huge end-of-the-game blunder. Look at how our offensive statistics stack up in the Big Ten and in the nation at large. Look at all the "3 and outs". Look at the drive-spoiling penalties. Look at the 3rd down conversion ratio. Look at the red zone failure, especially from within five yards. Look at the dropped balls. Look at the poor passes. Think to yourself, really think hard, why did this happen? It happened because the players on offense weren't happy, weren't comfortable, weren't relaxed, weren't prepared and had no confidence. Do you think our wide receivers dropped those kind of easy passes when they were in high school? Of course not, because they played with confidence and swagger and knew that they were being put into situations where they could succeed. We all know Weber is not as good as Northwestern's, Indiana's, Iowa's, etc quarterback. We've all watched those guys methodically pick apart our and other teams' secondaries hitting 4,5,6 and 7 different receivers during a drive. But Weber certainly was better as a freshman and sophomore than he is now. Everyone saw that. It's clear as water. Why did this happen? And why won't Brewster acknowledge it? And why did Brewster say in Youngblood's column that the fans and observers don't have a clue what they're talking about (yes he said that...go look). You want to know why? Because the coaching staff negligently destroyed the young man's confidence and put him in a position to not succeed. So, what's Brewster going to do? Admit it and throw himself and Fisch under the bus? Of course not. Many of you want to blame the offensive line That's understandable but not the answer. We've all witnessed plenty of plays by many teams where the offense keeps in seven blockers, rolls the quarterback out, and the quarterback is still able to find an open receiver in a seam somewhere within the zone. If not, he keeps the ball and runs. It's happened against the Gophers year in and year out. Weber didn't have to face the pressure he did. It was our stubborn and unintelligent coaches who insisted on doing it their way and subjecting Weber to constant pressure to the point where the kid was shell-shocked and developed a terrible case of happy feet. And Weber is just the tip of the iceberg. They killed the confidence of the receivers too by constantly saying "someone has to step up now that Decker is out...without Decker we lose almost all our weaponry...." That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Do you think Sidney Rice, Bernard Berrian and Visante Schianco all of the sudden "stepped it up"? Of course not. What happened is they finally got a quarterback who had a fricking clue how to play Childress' game. That's all. These guys didn't change over night. The same thing is true for Brandon Green, DaJon McKnight, Stoudemire, Allen, Tow-Arnett, Kuznia. These guys were ready and more than capable of making plays and getting open, etc. The problem was that the plays were poorly designed, called at the wrong time against the wrong coverage and were run by a quarterback who rarely had time to make a throw and whose confidence had been destroyed by the coaching staff by the third week of the season. Each and every one of these receivers could've caught 25 to 30 passes this year and would have had they been in Northwestern's, Purdue's, or Indiana's offense. Folks, the reason for this abysmal season-long offensive performance (sans Michigan State) lies 95% on the coaching staff. And for that, there is no excuse. If the Gopher offense is not in the top 6 of the Big Ten next year, then we must conclude that this hire was an abject failure, we must let Brewster go and Maturi should be fired for taking such an unwarranted risk with the most important hire of his career. I truly can't take this anymore. It's got to stop. I guarantee that each and every one of you on this website could've interviewed and selected a better head coach than Maturi did. That is not meant to be funny, sarcastic or whimsical. I know that all of you would have made a better choice. How in gods name have we come to this point? The Gopher football program reminds me of Vietnam and Iraq. Quagmires that never had to happen. It makes me want to cry.

It's interesting how differently people see things. I am terribly concerned with what I observed this year. More so it seems than most of the other members on here. First of all, Coach Brewster absolutely means well and has the best intentions for this program. Unfortunately, if you observe his manner and communication style, it is easy to tell that he does not have the personality to be a successful head coach and is really "play-acting" the part by trying to be positive and say the right things. He's read one too many "leadership" and/or positive thinking books and has obviously bought into that philosophy. He lacks independent and critical thinking skills, has less than adequate judgment, is more concerned with perception than reality, and sounds like a robot that has been pre-programmed by Tony Robbins. (It would actually be interesting to learn how/when he developed this odd and unnatural personality.) He claims he has very strong and deep viewpoints/convictions on certain subjects, yet in reality he changes his mind constantly and inconsistently applies these convictions. It would take way too much time and effort to provide examples for what I'm saying, but for anyone that truly pays close attention to everything that comes out of his mouth (whether it be in the paper, on the Sid Hartman show on Sunday mornings, or during his radio and television show) and to the decisions he's made, you well know that this man is currently in a position for which he is ill-suited and untrained. In addition, if you've observed Brewster interacting with his players, he seems to vacillate between trying to be a hard-ass and trying to be a "cool and hip" friend to his players. Again, the guy can't decide who he is as a man, as a coach, as a leader, etc. Is it any wonder why he couldn't determine, early on and from his own observation, how flawed and ineffective the offense was and how unbelievably unsophisticated, predictable and almost child-like the play-calling was for substantial portions of many games. How many times did I see them run a screen play where Weber threw the ball to a running back or the tight end who was standing in the middle of the line of scrimmage next to two, three or four defenders? I've watched football for almost 40 years and not only have I never seen this play before, I can't imagine anyone ever dreaming up such a play. It never, and I repeat never, worked for the Gophers. Yet, somebody kept calling it (in some cases up to three times a game) and was stubborn enough to insist that it had to work. Which brings up another point; Coach Brewster is a very stubborn man who hired a very insecure, immature, stubborn and unorganized offensive coordinator. A coordinator who devised (whether on his own or with others) game plans that, for the most part, were ill-conceived and haphazard at best. And this is a man that Brewster referred to as a "Dead Shot". Why would any intelligent and thoughtful coach ever go out on a limb and say that? Because it sounded good, it made Brewster seem like a genius and it helped Brewster to believe that what he did was right even though deep down he knew he was taking a big risk (and just think if Brewster didn't realize that he was taking a big risk...again, question the man's decision making and judgment). In closing, I ask that each and every one of you go back and look at the offensive production from each and every game. Don't just look at the SDSU game or the Iowa game, or the Illinois game, or the Penn St. game (39 yards at half-time). Please look carefully at each and every game. Look at the games we won and how we won them. Look at how we would've lost several of those games had the defense not made a miraculous play or had the opposing team not made a huge end-of-the-game blunder. Look at how our offensive statistics stack up in the Big Ten and in the nation at large. Look at all the "3 and outs". Look at the drive-spoiling penalties. Look at the 3rd down conversion ratio. Look at the red zone failure, especially from within five yards. Look at the dropped balls. Look at the poor passes. Think to yourself, really think hard, why did this happen? It happened because the players on offense weren't happy, weren't comfortable, weren't relaxed, weren't prepared and had no confidence. Do you think our wide receivers dropped those kind of easy passes when they were in high school? Of course not, because they played with confidence and swagger and knew that they were being put into situations where they could succeed. We all know Weber is not as good as Northwestern's, Indiana's, Iowa's, etc quarterback. We've all watched those guys methodically pick apart our and other teams' secondaries hitting 4,5,6 and 7 different receivers during a drive. But Weber certainly was better as a freshman and sophomore than he is now. Everyone saw that. It's clear as water. Why did this happen? And why won't Brewster acknowledge it? And why did Brewster say in Youngblood's column that the fans and observers don't have a clue what they're talking about (yes he said that...go look). You want to know why? Because the coaching staff negligently destroyed the young man's confidence and put him in a position to not succeed. So, what's Brewster going to do? Admit it and throw himself and Fisch under the bus? Of course not. Many of you want to blame the offensive line That's understandable but not the answer. We've all witnessed plenty of plays by many teams where the offense keeps in seven blockers, rolls the quarterback out, and the quarterback is still able to find an open receiver in a seam somewhere within the zone. If not, he keeps the ball and runs. It's happened against the Gophers year in and year out. Weber didn't have to face the pressure he did. It was our stubborn and unintelligent coaches who insisted on doing it their way and subjecting Weber to constant pressure to the point where the kid was shell-shocked and developed a terrible case of happy feet. And Weber is just the tip of the iceberg. They killed the confidence of the receivers too by constantly saying "someone has to step up now that Decker is out...without Decker we lose almost all our weaponry...." That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Do you think Sidney Rice, Bernard Berrian and Visante Schianco all of the sudden "stepped it up"? Of course not. What happened is they finally got a quarterback who had a fricking clue how to play Childress' game. That's all. These guys didn't change over night. The same thing is true for Brandon Green, DaJon McKnight, Stoudemire, Allen, Tow-Arnett, Kuznia. These guys were ready and more than capable of making plays and getting open, etc. The problem was that the plays were poorly designed, called at the wrong time against the wrong coverage and were run by a quarterback who rarely had time to make a throw and whose confidence had been destroyed by the coaching staff by the third week of the season. Each and every one of these receivers could've caught 25 to 30 passes this year and would have had they been in Northwestern's, Purdue's, or Indiana's offense. Folks, the reason for this abysmal season-long offensive performance (sans Michigan State) lies 95% on the coaching staff. And for that, there is no excuse. If the Gopher offense is not in the top 6 of the Big Ten next year, then we must conclude that this hire was an abject failure, we must let Brewster go and Maturi should be fired for taking such an unwarranted risk with the most important hire of his career. I truly can't take this anymore. It's got to stop. I guarantee that each and every one of you on this website could've interviewed and selected a better head coach than Maturi did. That is not meant to be funny, sarcastic or whimsical. I know that all of you would have made a better choice. How in gods name have we come to this point? The Gopher football program reminds me of Vietnam and Iraq. Quagmires that never had to happen. It makes me want to cry.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/mc03steve/DEMOT1.JPG

Nice first post, Tolstoy. Is it true that the original title of War and Peace was "War, What is it Good For"?

A 1,400 word post? Wow!

I hate to even question any part of it in fear of a 1,400 word response, but if the offense's ineptitude is due to Brewster, then why does he not get any credit for the strength of the defense?

One thing that has been amazing to me over the last three years is that we have basically gone from a program with a strong offense and a very questionable defense to one with a relatively strong defense and a weak offense. I prefer it this way as opposed to having to basically hope for a score nearly every possession to have a chance.

So far, after about 24 hours of the poll being open and 124 votes, 57 (46%) see an improvement in the program, 16 of them a large improvement since Brew arrived. Thirty (24%) think the program is in worse shape, and 10 of those think it is in much worse shape.

This is interesting, as I anticipated the overwhelmingly most common response to be "Basically the same" and a lot more people thinking it is in worse shape based on the responses here this season.

I'd like to see a poll on this post. How many read the whole thing? How many started to read it then gave up? How many...

If it was broken into paragraphs I would have read it.

I'd like to see a poll on this post. How many read the whole thing? How many started to read it then gave up? How many...
Whenever I see a giant non-stop block of text defecated into the forums like that I have a momentary debate whether or not it'll be worth it to pick through it for little flakes of gold.

Then I remember there's never actually any gold.

I had to break it up into parts, and in the end I should have followed Khaliq's philospohy.

It's unfortunate that the paragraph was so poorly put together because I agree with a lot of it. This team has all the signs of a team rotting from the inside-out.

The strength of this team is in recruiting. There really isn't anything else. Unfortunately, the 2009 class isnt that strong.

The coaching situation is a wreck. We have far too much turnover at the coordinator position and people are calling for even more this year. This team is proven to be undisciplined, a huge red mark against the coaching staff. We've seen an abnormal number of off-the-field issues as well as in game yelling between players and coaches (Stoudemire, Weber last game with Fisch). They were one of the more penalized teams in Division I. Clock management was a disaster. Timeouts were wasted almost routinely. We've also saw a couple good players transfer after last year. The offense was terrible. The defense was improved but still nothing more than mediocre. Remember, this team played a third of its games against 2nd or 3rd string quarterbacks. Things aren't likely to be better next year as we will be graduating most of our starters.

This team is not a better team than it was 3 years ago. As much as everyone points out SOS and says if a few plays went differently this team could have been 7-5 or 8-4 (Wisc, Ill) they could have also been 5-7, 4-8, 3-9 (Syracuse, AFA, SDSU).

It isn't time to fire Brewster. The jury is still out on him. Even with that said, there is no evidence in any way to support that this program has improved. He is 0-November and 0-trophy games. He has only proven that much like Mason he can get the most out of our non-conference foes but little out of those in conference.

The number one thing he needs to do is to keep his OC and DCs and get a rock solid plan for 2010. Go Gophs!

It hurt my eyes. Of course having it quoted in it's entirety several times hurt more. I couldn't bear myself to read it in fear I could never get that time back in the likely event It was circular and made one small point, and probably a poor one.

It's not surprising, Heber, that you agreed with the novel. If you really believe what you wrote, then the jury is not out on Brewster. You can't have it both ways.

The 2009 class isn't a weak class. Let's not say it is simply because it's not the strongest one Brewster has had. There are only three in the Big Ten substantially better. Mich, OSU and PSU. Iowa is ranked 26th, Minn is 29th, and MSU is 30.

This class is strong. Not Brewsters strongest, but still strong.

Section2, please tell me with what from my post you disagree?

This year was disappointing. It left a lot to be desired and I think most of it has to do with the revolving door at the coordinator positions. I think Brewster has a lot of growing to do as a head coach. That being said, I don't think it would benefit our program to fire him or the current coordinators. If this team does not improve in the next two years AND we cannot keep consistency at the coordinator position, that is when I would say pull the plug.

What positive spin is there to put on this year?

Top Bottom