State of Gopher football

..and remember the term you used to describe Maturi? It goes double for that article.

Common. Though reporting the sum isn't. 2 right off the top of google. Tennessee did it twice the past 2 years, ducking UNC and Oregon.

Funny you mention Maturi, because this likely was a quagmire he refused to deal with until Teague was hired. Spineless leadership from our former AD until the day he was softly sent into retirement by his non revenue sports loving freinds in the admin.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/10/18/vanderbilt-backs-out-with-letters/1642313/
In most cases, backing out a scheduled meeting comes with a buyout. For the two-game Northwestern series, a league source told Greenstein that the buyout was "not prohibitive."

But Vanderbilt will not owe Ohio State a buyout fee since the 2013 date was a one-time affair, not a home-and-home series. However, Vanderbilt's decision will cost the university $1.2 million, which Ohio State was paying the Commodores to come to Ohio Stadium.

http://espn.go.com/colleges/fsu/sto...noles-fill-non-conference-hole-savannah-state
Until mid-February, Florida State was slated for a potentially riveting nonconference matchup with West Virginia, a game that would have pitted Heisman hopeful Geno Smith against one of the nation's elite defenses. But with the Mountaineers' switch from the Big East to the Big 12, West Virginia bailed just nine months before kickoff.

Florida State tried to find a quality opponent that would make the trip to Tallahassee without the promise of a return engagement, all for less than West Virginia's $500,000 buyout

REasons

Why is no one bringing up the valid reasons for why they cancelled the NC series. So many just want to point out what is wrong with it, and dont want to logically look at the reasons for doing it.

The reasons for canceling the North Carolina series:

1) We may be 1 game short of a bowl game next year if we were to play NC and loose. This extra win will raise our probability of....
-Allowing us to practice more prior to the bowl game
-Gives the entire team one more game to grow
-Make our team that much better for the next year
-Is an asset for recruiting

Maybe the most important, the revenue of a bowl game will offset the 800,000 (plus New Mex st is giving us money, right?)

2) Nelson will be a young QB next year, this 1 extra win will give our truly young team next year a boost rather than a setback.

3) In my mind, and of course our coach and AD's mind these all outweight the cost of the money we may loose. Once again though, lets leave it up to our biased media to sway our outlook on the decisions made by the U.

4) I have to go, but have more

..and others just can't quite grasp how lousy a QB Max Shortell proved to be. Luckily, the Head Coach could. Too bad Nelson wasn't ready before last Saturday. The Iowa and/or NW game could have gone the other way.

I'd be shocked if Shortell didn't play significant minutes the rest of the way. It could happen, who knows, but I doubt it. He could very well be lousy, I'm no expert, but he got the start ahead of Gray against Northwestern. Gray's play against Northwestern at QB CLEARLY showed he was healthy enough to go. Coaches must not think Max is a total dumpster fire. Pay attention to what the coaching staff is saying, and what they haven't been saying, over the last 3-4 weeks. It's not that hard to tell what they really think.

Whether it's Nelson or Shortell, I'll be pulling for whoever it is, no doubt about it. There's hope for the remaining 5 games. I think the Rodents are in good hands with either of them under center. Let's hope there's at least two more wins in there!!!

Why is no one bringing up the valid reasons for why they cancelled the NC series. So many just want to point out what is wrong with it, and dont want to logically look at the reasons for doing it.

1) We may be 1 game short of a bowl game next year if we were to play NC and loose. This extra win will raise our probability of....

Maybe the most important, the revenue of a bowl game will offset the 800,000 (plus New Mex st is giving us money, right?)

2) Nelson will be a young QB next year, this 1 extra win will give our truly young team next year a boost rather than a setback.

3) In my mind, and of course our coach and AD's mind these all outweight the cost of the money we may loose. Once again though, lets leave it up to our biased media to sway our outlook on the decisions made by the U.

You don't see the flaw in this logic? You're saying they are trading a guaranteed loss for a guaranteed win.

There are no guarantees either way.

Common. Though reporting the sum isn't. 2 right off the top of google. Tennessee did it twice the past 2 years, ducking UNC and Oregon.

Funny you mention Maturi, because this likely was a quagmire he refused to deal with until Teague was hired. Spineless leadership from our former AD until the day he was softly sent into retirement by his non revenue sports loving freinds in the admin.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/10/18/vanderbilt-backs-out-with-letters/1642313/
In most cases, backing out a scheduled meeting comes with a buyout. For the two-game Northwestern series, a league source told Greenstein that the buyout was "not prohibitive."

But Vanderbilt will not owe Ohio State a buyout fee since the 2013 date was a one-time affair, not a home-and-home series. However, Vanderbilt's decision will cost the university $1.2 million, which Ohio State was paying the Commodores to come to Ohio Stadium.

http://espn.go.com/colleges/fsu/sto...noles-fill-non-conference-hole-savannah-state
Until mid-February, Florida State was slated for a potentially riveting nonconference matchup with West Virginia, a game that would have pitted Heisman hopeful Geno Smith against one of the nation's elite defenses. But with the Mountaineers' switch from the Big East to the Big 12, West Virginia bailed just nine months before kickoff.

Florida State tried to find a quality opponent that would make the trip to Tallahassee without the promise of a return engagement, all for less than West Virginia's $500,000 buyout

Well at least you've admitted that the rest of that stuff was bull#%%t. Kill may still be a good coach and that's not what this is about is it? Must have been tough to admit that.

You mean buckling to the whims of a coach who's won two Big Ten games? Creating a huge problem with donors when you're trying to raise money from them. Ignorant (as he's already admitted) and spineless? In this case that's your boy Teague.

Gees, maybe the same clowns who were pissed that the U got a MAC-Guy for A.D. shouldn't have been so hoodwinked by a guy from VCU?:rolleyes:

None of those examples you sighted are applicable. NONE of them. Assume you're just being obstinate. The closest is Vandy and NW. You still don't get it? Maybe the dollar amounts don't get out because they're not relevant or would bring on the outrage. Guess which applied here?

Are you aware of the huge problem Tennessee has getting people to show up for a game in Knoxville? Or Florida State or West Virginia? You think there having trouble getting 49,000 people into the stands? How many of them had to pay $800,000 to cancel the games? Maybe some of them had already taken the HOME part of that home and home and then cancelled the road game. The same as the weasels at Baylor did to us.

Let's see, the Volunteers were cowards, but it isn't going to cost them much. Vandy had to drop a game or two for Conference reasons and they chose the cowards way out against tOSU and the cheap way out against NW. That was only because NW trusted them. Bad choice. Regardless of whether they were weasels or not there's one other point.

None of us gave them thousands of dollars and expected them to treat that money as if it was worth something.

Here, what's the term you use? Oh, yeah, The P.O.S. were both cowards, spendthrifts and incredibly short sighted. There not getting any extra money from me and from the people I've talked to, that's not a very unusual opinon either.

Nice way for your boy Norwood to be welcomed to the big leagues.

As many people have said and the sycophants have chosen to ignore, if Teague mans-up and tells Kill to play the two damn games and THEN schedules Fairabault School for the Blind four times a year none of this firestorm happens. People grumble, donors complain and things go back to normal.

Hell, if Teague gets out of the contract WITHOUT paying any money even less is said, but neither of those things happened. He's admitted he was surprised by how huge the negative reaction has been. Didn't get that at VCU huh? When Sid Hartman, an old man who bleeds Maroon and Gold, turns on the U it's a pretty good sign of how stupid a decision it was.

Better get out there and start begging Ole. You and the VCU support group may have a LOT of money to make up for.

Sigh, no it won't. If it's a 6-6 Bowl they'll LOSE money. NMSU and the U are exchanging checks. It's a Home and Home series. :banghead:

Sigh, no it won't. If it's a 6-6 Bowl they'llLOSE money. NMSU and the U are exchanging checks. It's a Home and Home series. :banghead:

And still out $800,000.

Sorry Victor....the media was spot on.

Well at least you've admitted that the rest of that stuff was bull#%%t. Kill may still be a good coach and that's not what this is about is it? Must have been tough to admit that.

You mean buckling to the whims of a coach who's won two Big Ten games? Creating a huge problem with donors when you're trying to raise money from them. Ignorant (as he's already admitted) and spineless? In this case that's your boy Teague.

Gees, maybe the same clowns who were pissed that the U got a MAC-Guy for A.D. shouldn't have been so hoodwinked by a guy from Stony Brook?:rolleyes:

None of those examples you sighted are applicable. NONE of them. Assume you're just being obstinate. The closest is Vandy and NW. You still don't get it? Maybe the dollar amounts don't get out because they're not relevant or would bring on the outrage. Guess which applied here?

Are you aware of the huge problem Tennessee has getting people to show up for a game in Knoxville? Or Florida State or West Virginia? You think there having trouble getting 49,000 people into the stands? How many of them had to pay $800,000 to cancel the games? Maybe some of them had already taken the HOME part of that home and home and then cancelled the road game. The same as the weasels at Baylor did to us.

Let's see, the Volunteers were cowards, but it isn't going to cost them much. Vandy had to drop a game or two for Conference reasons and they chose the cowards way out against tOSU and the cheap way out against NW. That was only because NW trusted them. Bad choice. Regardless of whether they were weasels or not there's one other point.

None of us gave them thousands of dollars and expected them to treat that money as if it was worth something.

Here, what's the term you use? Oh, yeah, The P.O.S. were both cowards, spendthrifts and incredibly short sighted. There not getting any extra money from me and from the people I've talked to, that's not a very unusual opinon either.

Nice way for your boy Norwood to be welcomed to the big leagues.

As many people have said and the sycophants have chosen to ignore, if Teague mans-up and tells Kill to play the two damn games and THEN schedules Fairabault School for the Blind four times a year none of this firestorm happens. People grumble, donors complain and things go back to normal.

Hell, if Teague gets out of the contract WITHOUT paying any money even less is said, but neither of those things happened. He's admitted he was surprised by how huge the negative reaction has been. Didn't get that at Stony Brook huh? When Sid Hartman, an old man who bleeds Maroon and Gold, turns on the U it's a pretty good sign of how stupid a decision it was.

Better get out there and start begging Ole. You and the Stony Brook support group may have a LOT of money to make up for.
Teague is from VCU. Kaler is from Stoney Brook.

Also, everyone starts somewhere, so I don't see how this is a diss.

Carry on.

Teague is from VCU. Kaler is from Stoney Brook.

Also, everyone starts somewhere, so I don't see how this is a diss.

Carry on.

Only the MACturi precedence makes it so, though the jury is still out on Stoney Brook to.:eek:

I'm obviously missing a key piece of your incredibly angry philosophy here.

Any possible financial hit will be taken care of in spades if Kill can parlay his preferred schedule into future wins.

You say it will cause problems with fundraising. I'll trust that Teague knows more about that than you, since he built VCU's athletics dept by fundraising like a champ.
You know he's from VCU and not Stoney Brook right.
Kaler is from Stoney Brook where he assisted as a provost in fundraising enough money to build a new stadium and upgrade their athletic program.

The west virginia buyout is indeed similar, a buyout of 500,000 to cancel a visit.

Knoxville has a stadium of over 100,000. They've done this twice recently for very similar reasons, a young and turmoil stricken program that needs to get on it's feet before taking on all comers.

I guess you have donated in the past and feel that gives you reason to be outraged here. Well, it's your right not to donate again. However, if Kill wanted this, then it's part of his plan to turn things around here. If it works it was worth it, if it doesn't it wasn't and he pays for it with his job down the road.

It's all about getting the program winning consistently in the future whether that means spending money on recruiting budgets or scheduling buyouts to cater to a roster of young and inexperienced players. $=$

Maturi never made a definitive decision EVER. He would never have the balls to make an potentially unpopular decision like this which his head football coach feels will help grow and nurture the program. Teague did, stands by it and and 2 years from now we'll forget all about it.

I like that brand of leadership.

I'm obviously missing a key piece of your incredibly angry philosophy here.

Any possible financial hit will be taken care of in spades if Kill can parlay his preferred schedule into future wins.

You say it will cause problems with fundraising. I'll trust that Teague knows more about that than you, since he built VCU's athletics dept by fundraising like a champ.
You know he's from VCU and not Stoney Brook right.
Kaler is from Stoney Brook where he assisted as a provost in fundraising enough money to build a new stadium and upgrade their athletic program.

The west virginia buyout is indeed similar, a buyout of 500,000 to cancel a visit.

Knoxville has a stadium of over 100,000. They've done this twice recently for very similar reasons, a young and turmoil stricken program that needs to get on it's feet before taking on all comers.

I guess you have donated in the past and feel that gives you reason to be outraged here. Well, it's your right not to donate again. However, if Kill wanted this, then it's part of his plan to turn things around here. If it works it was worth it, if it doesn't it wasn't and he pays for it with his job down the road.

It's all about getting the program winning consistently in the future whether that means spending money on recruiting budgets or scheduling buyouts to cater to a roster of young and inexperienced players. $=$

Maturi never made a definitive decision EVER. He would never have the balls to make an potentially unpopular decision like this which his head football coach feels will help grow and nurture the program. Teague did, stands by it and and 2 years from now we'll forget all about it.

I like that brand of leadership.

It's not surprising, you never read a contrary response trying to understand it only to react to it. You did a pretty poor job of reading it anyway. Teague's already admitted that he was surprised by the negative reaction from the public and donors. He's admitted that it will be money loser. That it will have to be covered by the department. He's went out and appeared everywhere but your garage trying to explain it while at all times he's made sure that people know that it was Kill's decision not his!

Yeah, your guy certainly has balls doesn't he? "I did it but Kill MADE me do it!"

I can also see why you keep ignoring it when people say if they just played the UNC and then scheduled down it would have been excepted. You have to to hold the rest of your opinions. Changing the game makes a difference of ONE victory or defeat. One. Thow out the injury crap. Western Michigan, UNLV, UNH and Syracuse hurt people too. If you look you'll see the NMSU game last year generated injuries too. Oh, and a loss Don't forget that.

That means that Kill is afraid of going 5-7 rather then 6-6. Now tell me again how that's going to"take care of in spades" their financial problems?

There's only two people who believe that the decision will be a money maker and Teague has said he's not one of them. Can't think of the other.

Why do you still hold that idiotic position?

Sigh, no it won't. If it's a 6-6 Bowl they'll LOSE money. NMSU and the U are exchanging checks. It's a Home and Home series. :banghead:

I am not sure that is true because the Big Ten pools all bowl games together and then splits the money evenly. I am just not sure how they handle losses.

It's not surprising, you never read a contrary response trying to understand it only to react to it. You did a pretty poor job of reading it anyway. Teague's already admitted that he was surprised by the negative reaction from the public and donors. He's admitted that it will be money loser. That it will have to be covered by the department. He's went out and appeared everywhere but your garage trying to explain it while at all times he's made sure that people know that it was Kill's decision not his!

Yeah, your guy certainly has balls doesn't he? "I did it but Kill MADE me do it!"

I can also see why you keep ignoring it when people say if they just played the UNC and then scheduled down it would have been excepted. You have to to hold the rest of your opinions. Changing the game makes a difference of ONE victory or defeat. One. Thow out the injury crap. Western Michigan, UNLV, UNH and Syracuse hurt people too. If you look you'll see the NMSU game last year generated injuries too. Oh, and a loss Don't forget that.

That means that Kill is afraid of going 5-7 rather then 6-6. Now tell me again how that's going to"take care of in spades" their financial problems?

There's only two people who believe that the decision will be a money maker and Teague has said he's not one of them. Can't think of the other.

Why do you still hold that idiotic position?

Teague's supporting his football coach. That's what i meant by standing behind the decision.
Kill is trying to get his roster ready for the future. He's going to need to break in young players early and often for at least another 2 years before he'll have the depth built in this program to sustain injuries without burning redshirts or playing kids before they are ready.
Should he bring the culture around like he has everywhere he's been and develop a sustained winning program then yes, this decision will have paid off.
5-7 vs 6-6 means extra practices and another game to bring kids along in his systems.

800,000 is pennies compared to what the U could bring in and make up with a perennial winner here.

Teague's supporting his football coach. That's what i meant by standing behind the decision.
Kill is trying to get his roster ready for the future. He's going to need to break in young players early and often for at least another 2 years before he'll have the depth built in this program to sustain injuries without burning redshirts or playing kids before they are ready.
Should he bring the culture around like he has everywhere he's been and develop a sustained winning program then yes, this decision will have paid off.
5-7 vs 6-6 means extra practices and another game to bring kids along in his systems.

800,000 is pennies compared to what the U could bring in and make up with a perennial winner here.

You aren't selling me any hope for next year...kinda crushed my idea of a big ten title, guess I will wait to book my hotel until 2015

I am not sure that is true because the Big Ten pools all bowl games together and then splits the money evenly. I am just not sure how they handle losses.

Unless things have changed since the last time we went to the Insight Bowl (which is possible) small losses occur. They are given a certain amount and then if they choose to spend more (mainly taking more people) it comes out of the schools pocket.

Did you ever think that it may be because he disagrees with you?:confused:

Uh, possible?:eek: But he disagrees with Teague's stance on it too. Norwood has said repeated that it's a money loser. That's what pisses me off. Oh and he keeps talking about Teague "standing behind his coach". Making the decision to cancel the series and at the same time constantly pointing out that he wouldn't have done it isn't "standing behind your coach" no matter how many times Ole types it.

Unless things have changed since the last time we went to the Insight Bowl (which is possible) small losses occur. They are given a certain amount and then if they choose to spend more (mainly taking more people) it comes out of the schools pocket.

I have also read that all Big Ten bowl team are given a budget and if they exceed that budget it is on the school's dime. I am not absolutely positive how this work but it makes sense that all teams have to stay within a budget. The reason this is if there was no cap there would be little or no incentive for a school to manage their expenses when all schools share the net revenues. That is why there is a cap on expenses.

I have also read that all Big Ten bowl team are given a budget and if they exceed that budget it is on the school's dime. I am not absolutely positive how this work but it makes sense that all teams have to stay within a budget. The reason this is if there was no cap there would be little or no incentive for a school to manage their expenses when all schools share the net revenues. That is why there is a cap on expenses.

Just hang in there, Killjoy. Gopher Warrior will be on here soon telling us how it really is, what the contracts read, and every other little detail about these items. And I truly believe he will be about 2% accurate.

Don't forget that schools have an allotment of tickets which, I believe, they are required to sell.
Just as an example (Look up UCONN Fiesta Bowl financial losses).
They took on a $3,000,000 charge for unused tickets. Total expenses for that trip were $4.3 million. $2.5 million from the Big East = Net loss of $1.8 million for the Athletic Department.

Two or three years ago the AD at Michigan (if I remember correctly) stated, "Ya, last year we did not go to a bowl game. We finally made some money."

No, that wasn't rain that was falling on TCF Bank Stadium yesterday....it was the sky. It's truly sad how far the Gopher football program has fallen in two short weeks. Losing on the road to Iowa and then following it up with an absolute dud against Northwestern is not acceptable. As a fan, it's becoming increasingly harder to watch these guys. It's simply a program in shambles right now. I would dare someone to show me two more wins on the schedule. In fact, it's a distinct possibility that this team does not win a Big Ten game. If that happens, you can officially put coach Kill on the hot seat. No, he should not be fired if Minnesota goes winless in league play this season, it would set up a make-or-break season for him next year. No, this program isn't cursed, even though sometimes it feels like it. This program simply does not -- and cannot -- attract enough difference making recruits. YOU CANNOT EXPECT TO WIN IN MAJOR DIVISION I FOOTBALL WITH ALL 3-STAR RECRUITS.

Way to help out with the situation. You don't think the recruits look at these boards? Who would want to come here if it was all "fans" like you? Get over it. This is Kills first year with a recruiting class of his own. He still doesn't have much to work with.

Is MaroonGopher a huge troll or is he serious? Does he know we have not been relevant for years? What's with this dude

I'm starting to think the cancelling of the NC series will be Jerry Kill's version of Mason interviewing for the Ohio State job. Meaning, some people won't be able to let it go.

Here's some advice: disagree with it, be angy about it then move on.

Don't forget that schools have an allotment of tickets which, I believe, they are required to sell.
Just as an example (Look up UCONN Fiesta Bowl financial losses).
They took on a $3,000,000 charge for unused tickets. Total expenses for that trip were $4.3 million. $2.5 million from the Big East = Net loss of $1.8 million for the Athletic Department.

Thanks Buck_Buchanan. There hasn't been much discussion lately about the people who run these games (and are the one who make the money). There was talk about changing the bowl system to deal with the abuses of the operators of these bowl who are the real winners now. Nothing seemed to ever come of that.

Top Bottom