State of Gopher football

MaroonGopher

Banned
Reaction score
No, that wasn't rain that was falling on TCF Bank Stadium yesterday....it was the sky. It's truly sad how far the Gopher football program has fallen in two short weeks. Losing on the road to Iowa and then following it up with an absolute dud against Northwestern is not acceptable. As a fan, it's becoming increasingly harder to watch these guys. It's simply a program in shambles right now. I would dare someone to show me two more wins on the schedule. In fact, it's a distinct possibility that this team does not win a Big Ten game. If that happens, you can officially put coach Kill on the hot seat. No, he should not be fired if Minnesota goes winless in league play this season, it would set up a make-or-break season for him next year. No, this program isn't cursed, even though sometimes it feels like it. This program simply does not -- and cannot -- attract enough difference making recruits. YOU CANNOT EXPECT TO WIN IN MAJOR DIVISION I FOOTBALL WITH ALL 3-STAR RECRUITS.

I guess they'll just have to cancel the rest of the schedule.

No, that wasn't rain that was falling on TCF Bank Stadium yesterday....it was the sky. It's truly sad how far the Gopher football program has fallen in two short weeks. Losing on the road to Iowa and then following it up with an absolute dud against Northwestern is not acceptable. As a fan, it's becoming increasingly harder to watch these guys. It's simply a program in shambles right now. I would dare someone to show me two more wins on the schedule. In fact, it's a distinct possibility that this team does not win a Big Ten game. If that happens, you can officially put coach Kill on the hot seat. No, he should not be fired if Minnesota goes winless in league play this season, it would set up a make-or-break season for him next year. No, this program isn't cursed, even though sometimes it feels like it. This program simply does not -- and cannot -- attract enough difference making recruits. YOU CANNOT EXPECT TO WIN IN MAJOR DIVISION I FOOTBALL WITH ALL 3-STAR RECRUITS.

Purdue at home and Illinois on the road are both very winnable games.

Need to let the rest of the season play out before going the sky is falling route. For a different reason then you I do believe next year is a make or break year for Kill, especially if this season finishes at or below last years BIG win total. This team needs to go 8-4 or at worst 7-5 next year. It will be year 3 for Kill, with UNC gone the non-conf schedule is a joke so the team should be 4-0 entering conference play. The BIG is never easy but if we are to believe this staff is taking things in the right direction then 3-4 conference wins should be a minimum requirement.

Yes... you can. How did Wisconsin get to where they are? It certainly wasn't because all the talent flocked to Madison, WI of all places.

Knock it off please with the sky is falling routine, if you can't see improvement from last year you are not looking. Kill is only in his second year, give him time. If we are seeing the same results two years from now your argument may have some merit, but now is way too early to panic.

While we may not be favored in any of our remaining games, I still expect us to find a way to win a couple. Purdue, @Illinois and even MSU are possibilities. The B1G is so down this year that no game feels like a sure loss. We even have a shot next week.

The last two weeks haven't been pretty. But losing at Iowa and home to a good NW team is not the end of the world. If we can figure out a way to play the first quarter one of these weeks, it would help.

Big Tern stats show us much improved on defense and we are 4-2. Saturday would have been a victory with Gray at the helm - losing him has really hurt, as have other injuries, especially in the offensive line. We can win two, maybe even three and even in losing it should not be the blowout style we got accustomed to over the years (like 0-55 to Iowa). Progress is being made - these coaches need some key players to plug in and by next year we'll see real progress - I think and hope.

As disappointed as I am after yesterday's loss, I'm not anywhere near as disappointed as the OP. I just had flashbacks to the Gutekunst era all through yesterday's game.

No, that wasn't rain that was falling on TCF Bank Stadium yesterday....it was the sky. It's truly sad how far the Gopher football program has fallen in two short weeks.
Same team, different opponents.

Anytime the Gophers play NW, I am okay if we do not get embarrassed as they are about the worst match up for us (other than when Purdue had Brees). The honest truth is the Gophers lost that game rather than NW winning it - a couple of really bad offensive sequences and a fumble putting us down 7-0 in the first 10 seconds is why we lost - these can be, and should be, correctable. The biggest issue I have is program consistency on offensive and defensive philosophy. The biggest issue I have with Gray is that next year, we hit the reset button. If we believe Shortell is the guy - let him play. If we think he gets beat out by the 3rd stringer but that guy will be a 3 year starter - then make the change now. I don't think Kill will be on the hotseat - if he wins 6-7 games next year, he is safe - and I don't see how we don't win 6-7 next year with the the team coming back more or less intact other than Gray.

In my opinion, the responses on this site and the excuses being made for what's going on within the Gopher program are simply pathetic. Ok, the sky isn't falling. How bad does it need to get then? Minnesota lost to Iowa and Northwestern in consecutive weeks!!! If the Gophers win two games this season in league play, that's no better than last season. We have all seemed to have stooped to another level. It's ridiculous to state things like "we might win at home against Purdue" or "maybe on the road at Illinois." Those are two bad teams and the Gophers won't even be favored in those games. RIGHT NOW, I'm extremely disappointed with what's going on with the Gophers. It's bad, really really bad.

Yesterday someone on twitter asked Judd Zulgad (Twin Cities Sports media Member) if he thought Kill's job was in jeopardy after the loss. No, I'm not kidding.

The depths of college football ignorance among some in the Twin Cities never ceases to amaze me.

This message is hidden because MaroonGopher is on your ignore list.

Holy SHIIIT the gophers are 4-2 and everyone is crying and complaining. At the begining of this year if we knew this team would be 4-2 everyone would take that and be happy. Most people on this message board are pathetic. Complain about this and complain about that. You guys are worse than the media in the twin cities. We all know this team is not very good. Look at the bright side this team has a chance to go bowling did you expect that coming into the year?

For all of the posters with their negativity go suck one

Go Gophers

In my opinion, the responses on this site and the excuses being made for what's going on within the Gopher program are simply pathetic. Ok, the sky isn't falling. How bad does it need to get then? Minnesota lost to Iowa and Northwestern in consecutive weeks!!! If the Gophers win two games this season in league play, that's no better than last season. We have all seemed to have stooped to another level. It's ridiculous to state things like "we might win at home against Purdue" or "maybe on the road at Illinois." Those are two bad teams and the Gophers won't even be favored in those games. RIGHT NOW, I'm extremely disappointed with what's going on with the Gophers. It's bad, really really bad.

You could find a different hobby. One that makes you happy.

Do the first four games of the season not count? We're 4-2, not 0-2. We're better than last year. Anyone who can't see that is an idiot or just being a troll. I tend to think you're both.

Do the first four games of the season not count? We're 4-2, not 0-2. We're better than last year. Anyone who can't see that is an idiot or just being a troll. I tend to think you're both.

DING DING DING we have a winner

Yes... you can. How did Wisconsin get to where they are? It certainly wasn't because all the talent flocked to Madison, WI of all places.

Ah yes, I love the old myth that states the Badgers get crappy players and still manage to win.

Even if this were true...I would guess that for every team who wins in a BCS league with sub-par talent relative to the teams they are competing against, there are far more who win with above average talent relatively speaking.

Did you just become a Gophers fan like, 30 seconds ago?

Anytime the Gophers play NW, I am okay if we do not get embarrassed as they are about the worst match up for us (other than when Purdue had Brees). The honest truth is the Gophers lost that game rather than NW winning it - a couple of really bad offensive sequences and a fumble putting us down 7-0 in the first 10 seconds is why we lost - these can be, and should be, correctable. The biggest issue I have is program consistency on offensive and defensive philosophy. The biggest issue I have with Gray is that next year, we hit the reset button. If we believe Shortell is the guy - let him play. If we think he gets beat out by the 3rd stringer but that guy will be a 3 year starter - then make the change now. I don't think Kill will be on the hotseat - if he wins 6-7 games next year, he is safe - and I don't see how we don't win 6-7 next year with the the team coming back more or less intact other than Gray.

completely false. Northwestern held Minnesota to 13 points, 327 total yards, no turnovers, had 3 sacks, ran for 208 yards at 6.1 per carry. Northwestern played better and deserved to win.

really? REALLY? someone has this much lack of vision?

Iowa is undefeated in conference play. They should be undefeated overall...two plays is all that would take. Northwestern is bowl eligible. NW is number 31 in the AP poll, number 26 in the USA poll. We are supposed to ascend overnight to a top 25 status? Our best players get hurt. We have 10 seniors on the team. Our offensive line is young, hurt, overpowered and learning.

Our third quarterback is better than our second but the above situation is not conducive to putting him in a position to succeed. If Gray could stay healthy, our third quarterback is then on the sidelines.

It seems to me many of our contributors are people who these fellas evaluated and recruited. Give them the opportunity to add two more classes and see if we are not solidly in the mix. If you want us to be Ohio St, Michigan, Nebraska, you gotta have more patience than a season and a half. Forget wins and losses. If you can't see we are better than last year maybe you shouldn't invest your time.

josh087 said:
Ah yes, I love the old myth that states the Badgers get crappy players and still manage to win.

Even if this were true...I would guess that for every team who wins in a BCS league with sub-par talent relative to the teams they are competing against, there are far more who win with above average talent relatively speaking.

I don't think the Badgers currently win with crappy players, but are you saying that their roster in the early 90s was full of talent?

I don't think the Badgers currently win with crappy players, but are you saying that their roster in the early 90s was full of talent?

I don't, but that team was the exception, not the norm. Not every BCS-level championship team has great talent, but the vast majority does. Also, that badger team played in a Big Ten era where it was was easier than ever historically for the "little 8" to win titles. Both OSU and Michigan were down during this timeperiod.

From 1990 -1996, Michigan State, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Penn State all shared at least a conference championship during this time.

The Gophers are much improved. In 2011 we were 1-5 at this point, averaging 18 points per game while giving up 35 points per game. This year we are 4-2 with PPG 24 to 20. The schedule is fairly similar with USC and Michigan. While we still have a long way to go, there is definite progress.

Sky U Mah

Sir, you are clueless!

Yes, they lost 2 games in a row...oh no! Did you forget about losing 4 IN A ROW AT HOME to powerhouses like SOUTH DAKOTA, (unranked) USC, NORTHERN ILL, AND NORTHWESTERN two years ago. Did you forget about losing to NDSU and USD in back to back years? How about New Mexico State?

Wait.....you are right. Kill's clearly got the program going in the wrong direction (read sarcasm).

Also, there are at least 3 more GUARANTEED wins (call me Broadway Joe). Purdue, Illinois, and Michigan State...perhaps Nebraska! Yes, that's what I just said!!!

Iowa is undefeated in conference play. They should be undefeated overall...two plays is all that would take. Northwestern is bowl eligible. NW is number 31 in the AP poll, number 26 in the USA poll. We are supposed to ascend overnight to a top 25 status? Our best players get hurt. We have 10 seniors on the team. Our offensive line is young, hurt, overpowered and learning.

Our third quarterback is better than our second but the above situation is not conducive to putting him in a position to succeed. If Gray could stay healthy, our third quarterback is then on the sidelines.

It seems to me many of our contributors are people who these fellas evaluated and recruited. Give them the opportunity to add two more classes and see if we are not solidly in the mix. If you want us to be Ohio St, Michigan, Nebraska, you gotta have more patience than a season and a half. Forget wins and losses. If you can't see we are better than last year maybe you shouldn't invest your time.

The bolded is complete BS (and that's putting it nicely. Iowa needed a 50 yard fg just to stay in the game it won against Northern Illinois and they were dominated by Iowa State (who committed THREE red zone turnovers) everywhere but the scoreboard. If you saw the MSU game, you would know that Iowa got away with a really bag leg whip (trip) on their tying TD and then got a fortunate interception in OT. Iowa is much closer to having 2 more losses than they are to being undefeated. The only game you can argue they "should" have won was the Central Michigan game.

I agree that people need to give the coaches more than a season and a half, but nobody needs to give them 4 years to go 3-5 in conference. It's no more ridiculous to call for a coaching change now than to deliriously claim this team is "improved" after losing to two average (at best) Big Ten teams in a down year for the conference.

Gotta love all of the outrage over a few negative threads. We are still, by a large %, the kindest fan base in the BIG you will see (Indiana fans never have any hope to begin with). Kill is getting a free pass this season (rightly so). Any other message board-radio call-in station-blog-etc. would be all over the last two games. I've only really read a couple of over-the-top negative posts so far--that is incredible imo.

Top Bottom