State of Gopher football

Yes, they lost 2 games in a row...oh no! Did you forget about losing 4 IN A ROW AT HOME to powerhouses like SOUTH DAKOTA, (unranked) USC, NORTHERN ILL, AND NORTHWESTERN two years ago. Did you forget about losing to NDSU and USD in back to back years? How about New Mexico State?

Wait.....you are right. Kill's clearly got the program going in the wrong direction (read sarcasm).

Also, there are at least 3 more GUARANTEED wins (call me Broadway Joe). Purdue, Illinois, and Michigan State...perhaps Nebraska! Yes, that's what I just said!!!

I was on board until you said "GUARANTEED" and then you lost all credibility. We aren't Alabama, none of our games are "guaranteed"

I was on board until you said "GUARANTEED" and then you lost all credibility. We aren't Alabama, none of our games are "guaranteed"

The frustration of the naysayers irks me. Let's say that I feel real good about those games.

FTR...I love the parity of college football right now! WVU losing yesterday, Texas not competing yesterday, WVU getting waxed, Iowa State looking decent, Louisiana Tech's season etc. I think the electronic age is evening the playing field in terms of diamonds in the rough!!!

"YOU CANNOT EXPECT TO WIN IN MAJOR DIVISION I FOOTBALL WITH ALL 3-STAR RECRUITS." If that's true then shouldn't we be trying to find out why we don't attract top recruits? The stadium argument is dead. We've had this problem during the reigns of eight coaches. Madison, Iowa City, and Fargo recruit pretty well, so it's not the weather -- besides our weather didn't change during the 60s by which time we had won six or seven national titles. So what is it? Have we asked recruits who choose our competitors why they declined our offers? It would take a professional, in-depth interview to get valid results, but I'd say it's due. And before some of you immediately argue that all we have needed all along is the right coach, you have to ask why we've been unable to attract that savior. Oh, and the other common explanation -- lack of local talent -- doesn't explain the perennial success of Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, nor does it explain the lack of success of Illinois and Indiana. No, there's something that we don't have that successful schools have -- or something we have that they don't -- that has hurt our recruiting for about fifty years now. We should learn what it is from the recruits who know why they picked as they did.

No, that wasn't rain that was falling on TCF Bank Stadium yesterday....it was the sky. It's truly sad how far the Gopher football program has fallen in two short weeks. Losing on the road to Iowa and then following it up with an absolute dud against Northwestern is not acceptable. As a fan, it's becoming increasingly harder to watch these guys. It's simply a program in shambles right now. I would dare someone to show me two more wins on the schedule. In fact, it's a distinct possibility that this team does not win a Big Ten game. If that happens, you can officially put coach Kill on the hot seat. No, he should not be fired if Minnesota goes winless in league play this season, it would set up a make-or-break season for him next year. No, this program isn't cursed, even though sometimes it feels like it. This program simply does not -- and cannot -- attract enough difference making recruits. YOU CANNOT EXPECT TO WIN IN MAJOR DIVISION I FOOTBALL WITH ALL 3-STAR RECRUITS.

Let's get something here that would be more accurate. He has recruited 2 star athletes. Let's not forget those guys.

The Gophers are much improved. In 2011 we were 1-5 at this point, averaging 18 points per game while giving up 35 points per game. This year we are 4-2 with PPG 24 to 20. The schedule is fairly similar with USC and Michigan. While we still have a long way to go, there is definite progress.

Sky U Mah

Ski U Mah DA

So we disagree

The bolded is complete BS (and that's putting it nicely. Iowa needed a 50 yard fg just to stay in the game it won against Northern Illinois and they were dominated by Iowa State (who committed THREE red zone turnovers) everywhere but the scoreboard. If you saw the MSU game, you would know that Iowa got away with a really bag leg whip (trip) on their tying TD and then got a fortunate interception in OT. Iowa is much closer to having 2 more losses than they are to being undefeated. The only game you can argue they "should" have won was the Central Michigan game.

I agree that people need to give the coaches more than a season and a half, but nobody needs to give them 4 years to go 3-5 in conference. It's no more ridiculous to call for a coaching change now than to deliriously claim this team is "improved" after losing to two average (at best) Big Ten teams in a down year for the conference.

You say the Gophers "should" be 6 and 0. You are outraged. You don't believe we are improved.
But Iowa "shouldn't" be expected going into their non-conference schedule to win those games?? Iowa drops an undefended pass in the the end zone to lose 9 to 6 to Iowa State? Iowa goes brain dead on an on side kick vs Central Michigan to lose. Did they play lousy? Yes. Should they have been expected to win those games? Yes. Do they win them if they make those two simple, routine plays? Yes

The difference for the Gophers is plays. We are closer. Take away a handful of plays and the outcome is different in our losses defensively. That is patience, inexperience. Make a handful of plays offensively and the outcomes are different. That is confidence and experience. The opponents are pretty good. You dismiss Iowa and Northwestern as "average at best". 26th in the country isn't
"average at best" in several voters minds.

Sorry, you can't see we are improving. It's still really frustrating to lose whether we are getting better or not. Do you think we deep enough to have our best player get hurt in Gray, our best defender in Wells, our best two offensive lineman in the Olson brothers, our center hurt, coming into the season our best freshman hurt in Harbison, and overcome all those and more without skipping a beat? We ain't that deep. 10 seniors out of 110 guys. What are you looking at?

I must say, I just don't get the negativity around here. You've already earned a long overdue national championship this season, winning a conference game is just gilding the lily.

Speaking of conference games, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that the Tigers are undefeated in conference play so far. NC on the horizon for us as well? Keep your fingers crossed!

The frustration of the naysayers irks me. Let's say that I feel real good about those games.

FTR...I love the parity of college football right now! WVU losing yesterday, Texas not competing yesterday, WVU getting waxed, Iowa State looking decent, Louisiana Tech's season etc. I think the electronic age is evening the playing field in terms of diamonds in the rough!!!

I just don't think we have a track record to be that arrogant to think any game is guaranteed. I agree those games are winnable but we aren't a lock and haven't been a lock for any game this year. I get irked when people claim kill and company have the ship going the right way cause I'm still waiting to see it. I like the redshirting kill is doing and it's a step in the right direction. But every game so far has had a handful of "wtf were our coaches thinking". Like the fake field goal, no one thought we were going to kick it, my wife knows little about football and called the play before it happened. I was disappointed when kill was hired, I'm giving him his time, but he has yet to make me think we are a lock to be a force in the big ten like many others on gopherhole. I'm a terrible fan to many of the homers, I didn't renew season tickets this year and don't plan on gettin them again anytime soon. i do watch them and get as excited and as upset when we win or lose im just tired of the financial investment that doesnt seem to get better. i just want the gophers to be respectable, I want to watch our guys at least be in every game. I can handle losing i can't handle getting blown out like we did vs Iowa.

"YOU CANNOT EXPECT TO WIN IN MAJOR DIVISION I FOOTBALL WITH ALL 3-STAR RECRUITS." If that's true then shouldn't we be trying to find out why we don't attract top recruits? The stadium argument is dead. We've had this problem during the reigns of eight coaches. Madison, Iowa City, and Fargo recruit pretty well, so it's not the weather -- besides our weather didn't change during the 60s by which time we had won six or seven national titles. So what is it? Have we asked recruits who choose our competitors why they declined our offers? It would take a professional, in-depth interview to get valid results, but I'd say it's due. And before some of you immediately argue that all we have needed all along is the right coach, you have to ask why we've been unable to attract that savior. Oh, and the other common explanation -- lack of local talent -- doesn't explain the perennial success of Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, nor does it explain the lack of success of Illinois and Indiana. No, there's something that we don't have that successful schools have -- or something we have that they don't -- that has hurt our recruiting for about fifty years now. We should learn what it is from the recruits who know why they picked as they did.

There are a million reasons. It's not one thing. Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin have nothing else to root for but their football teams. We have all the pro sports. We have all the arts and business functions at a level those places don't have to divert passion for football. We have a lot more to do outside than the above locations. More diversion.
When we were good there were 4 channels on your tv, now you have 1000. The world has changed. There is the reality of it and then there is the perception of it. It's a big freaking job! It is not going to change overnight. There are no guarantees. The challenges are real. They must be overcome. There is no magical answer. It's just plain difficult circumstances. The perceptions suck. Somebody needs to change them. Since Lou Holtz, Jerry Kill gives me the most optimism.

Here is the state of gopher football.

They got rid of Jim Wacker. Brought in a guy who was an up and comer named Glen Mason.
Mason turned the program from a bottom dweller to a middle of the pack team. Mason did not get the financial commitment to bring in or keep top flight defensive assistants. Something in my mind that hindered his ability to get over the top.
After seeming to have an environment that had become stale, the U of M made a change (Rightfully IMO) after blowing the largest bowl game lead in the history of college football.
Instead of upgrading coaches, they did it on the cheap.
They got what they paid for.
4 years later, with the program in a new stadium but the roster in a wacker era condition...they were hiring another coach.
They started the search midway through the season. They were not quick to make a hire though (A mistake IMO). They waited it out.

At the end of the day, they did it on the cheap again. They hired a coach who had a successful history...but a coach on the cheap nonetheless. It will be interesting to see if he can outperform his contract. Tim Brewster was one of the lowest paid coaches in a BCS conference. And if I am not mistaken Jerry Kill makes a very similar amount.

Basic economics, you get what you pay for.
We will see what happens. You all know I didn't like the Kill hire from day 1.

They got rid of Jim Wacker. Brought in a guy who was an up and comer named Glen Mason.
Mason turned the program from a bottom dweller to a middle of the pack team. Mason did not get the financial commitment to bring in or keep top flight defensive assistants. Something in my mind that hindered his ability to get over the top.
After seeming to have an environment that had become stale, the U of M made a change (Rightfully IMO) after blowing the largest bowl game lead in the history of college football.
4 years later, with the program in a new stadium but the roster in a wacker era condition...they were hiring another coach.
They started the search midway through the season. They were not quick to make a hire though (A mistake IMO). They waited it out.

At the end of the day, they did it on the cheap again. They hired a coach who had a successful history...but a coach on the cheap nonetheless. It will be interesting to see if he can outperform his contract. Tim Brewster was one of the lowest paid coaches in a BCS conference. And if I am not mistaken Jerry Kill makes a very similar amount.

Yep, the drum beats slowly in Gold Country.

Ummmmm.....It's very important that we know you did not like the Kill hire from day 1. I could not sleep w/o knowing that.

There are a million reasons. It's not one thing. Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin have nothing else to root for but their football teams. We have all the pro sports. We have all the arts and business functions at a level those places don't have to divert passion for football. We have a lot more to do outside than the above locations. More diversion.
When we were good there were 4 channels on your tv, now you have 1000. The world has changed. There is the reality of it and then there is the perception of it. It's a big freaking job! It is not going to change overnight. There are no guarantees. The challenges are real. They must be overcome. There is no magical answer. It's just plain difficult circumstances. The perceptions suck. Somebody needs to change them. Since Lou Holtz, Jerry Kill gives me the most optimism.

You forgot to mention that the last time we were good...we had ZERO PRO SPORTS TEAMS. Coincidence? I think not when you compare us to our B1G peers.

The Gophers haven't improved at all. After this Saturday the Gophers are 17th in the nation in total defense and 9th in the nation in pass defense. That's about where we were last year right? 30th in the nation in scoring defense.

You say the Gophers "should" be 6 and 0. You are outraged. You don't believe we are improved.
But Iowa "shouldn't" be expected going into their non-conference schedule to win those games?? Iowa drops an undefended pass in the the end zone to lose 9 to 6 to Iowa State? Iowa goes brain dead on an on side kick vs Central Michigan to lose. Did they play lousy? Yes. Should they have been expected to win those games? Yes. Do they win them if they make those two simple, routine plays? Yes

The difference for the Gophers is plays. We are closer. Take away a handful of plays and the outcome is different in our losses defensively. That is patience, inexperience. Make a handful of plays offensively and the outcomes are different. That is confidence and experience. The opponents are pretty good. You dismiss Iowa and Northwestern as "average at best". 26th in the country isn't
"average at best" in several voters minds.

Sorry, you can't see we are improving. It's still really frustrating to lose whether we are getting better or not. Do you think we deep enough to have our best player get hurt in Gray, our best defender in Wells, our best two offensive lineman in the Olson brothers, our center hurt, coming into the season our best freshman hurt in Harbison, and overcome all those and more without skipping a beat? We ain't that deep. 10 seniors out of 110 guys. What are you looking at?

Did you watch Iowa/Iowa State? Iowa State had THREE turnovers in the red zone. That should have been a 2-3 td win for them. I certainly didn't expect Minnesota to be 6-0, but don't try to make Iowa in to something they are not...they are far closer to being 2-4 than 6-0.

I would only disagree with two things:

1. Mason didn't take this team to the middle of the pack, but more the top of the bottom tier as his final Big Ten record was around 30-50 and the Gophers were the only team i the Big Ten besides Indiana to not finish in the top 3 of the conference during those ten years.

2. I think Brewster/Kill have been given sufficient $$$ to hire staff ( I believe Whithers/Roof/Dunbar/Fisch/Limegrover/Claeys all have made competitive salaries for coordinators).

The rest is pretty much spot on, but I am not sure anything other than top TOP dollar would have got a big name coach in here with a lame duck A.D. (and our changing Presidents).

As a sidebar, I add this from MV:

"OVERREACTION CENTRAL

I avoided reading the Gopher Intertrons over the weekend, and that looks like the right call. From what I can collect on the Twitterverse, the Wisconsin loss brought out the angst in the Minnesota fanbase to the irrational nth degree, as is typical when your biggest rival pounds you into submission.

To that, I have only one comment: if you thought the Gophers, fresh off winning only 6 games over a two year period, were suddenly good enough to waltz into Madison with a true freshman quarterback, only one opening day starter along the offensive line (and three former walk-ons to boot), two of the team's best receivers concussed and the team's best player hobbled with a bad wheel, and keep the game respectable, let alone win, then I have ocean front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you.

People have gotten ahead of themselves regarding where the Gophers are in the rebuilding process. We are not, under any circumstances, good or deep enough to beat a team that's 50-4 at home the last eight seasons when we're so wantonly injured across the board.

Here's the other thing: this is all part of the normal Kill program building trajectory. In year two of all Jer's coaching stops, his teams have averaged 2 road wins per season and 3.25 road losses. Kill gets his kids to win at home at first, while the team become road warriors in year three (4 road wins to 2 losses, on average). Hey, whattya know? Minnesota is 3-1 at home this season, while just 1-2 on the road. Outcomes in Iowa City and Madison were neither unexpected nor surprising given Kill's pattern and Minnesota's track record in each of those road environments over the past two decades.

So yeah, simmer down with the Fire Everyone! calls.
"

Couldn't agree with him more.

It's pretty spot on. It's obvious fans are being a little delusional lately.

What fans thought we would beat wisky or thought we would keep it close? Any fan that thinks the coaching staff needs to be fired based on the badginas loss is nuts, but I haven't heard anything along those lines. Only complaint I have heard is the 800k and the redshirt pulled. Beyond that its been pretty typical of a message board arguing about who is smarter than the next guy

What fans thought we would beat wisky or thought we would keep it close? Any fan that thinks the coaching staff needs to be fired based on the badginas loss is nuts, but I haven't heard anything along those lines. Only complaint I have heard is the 800k and the redshirt pulled. Beyond that its been pretty typical of a message board arguing about who is smarter than the next guy

Exactly. No one has been acting the way MV has stated.

The first thought is "How could he come-up with a more idiotic explanation of the negative reaction to the $800,000 pay out to NOT play a game? The reaction came BEFORE the Badger game not AFTER it. People where upset with Kill but it was the UNC cancellation that set them over the edge. The predictions for the game itself were nearly completely in Wisconsin's favor. What the heck is he talking about?"

The "furor" over burning the Redshirt was nowhere near the furor over throwing away the money. By most accounts, the people who thought it was a good idea are in the majority.

Ah, but remember it's political season? If you want to suck up and promote your side and you have no basis for it, you ignore the real reason for the problem. You create a phony, strawman argument and than proceed to knock it down. 90% of the time it never works. It only makes people who agree with you feel better.

Should have just left it only or better yet, made the Redshirt case period.

Lost a little respect for the blog today.

Exactly. No one has been acting the way MV has stated.
He'll say anything to ingratiate himself with the athletic department. He loved Brewster in the beginning and now trashes him every chance he gets.

His website is still a good resource for Gophers fans (though I don't like the new format), but consistent and fair he is not.

The first thought is "How could he come-up with a more idiotic explanation of the negative reaction to the $800,000 pay out to NOT play a game? The reaction came BEFORE the Badger game not AFTER it. People where upset with Kill but it was the UNC cancellation that set them over the edge. The predictions for the game itself were nearly completely in Wisconsin's favor. What the heck is he talking about?"

The "furor" over burning the Redshirt was nowhere near the furor over throwing away the money. By most accounts, the people who thought it was a good idea are in the majority.

Ah, but remember it's political season? If you want to suck up and promote your side and you have no basis for it, you ignore the real reason for the problem. You create a phony, strawman argument and than proceed to knock it down. 90% of the time it never works. It only makes people who agree with you feel better.

Should have just left it only or better yet, made the Redshirt case period.

Lost a little respect for the blog today.

Did you listen to it?
They basically explained that the UNC cancellation was on Kill's wishlist from the day he was hired, AND that it's not at all uncommon in college football to cancel series' like this.

My explanation for the mouth breathing goes further.
It's an NFL town. We have such an illiterate college football fanbase it's hilarious.
This includes ALL media types and writers from what I can gather.

Preseason expectations range from 2-7 wins, most at 5-6 wins, with a 3-1 or 4-0 NC schedule.
Post Syracuse:
4-0 in the NC preseason = 4-0 in an NFL season to the fans/media
Cue elevated expectations, scrutiny, attention.
Despite injuries, loss of best player, unknown beaten opponent quality, lack of depth

Post Iowa:
Loss to desperate rival opponent on road = sky is falling
Despite above, which are ignored because in depth analysis requires effort and college football isn't served to the average fan on a platter like the Vikings coverage is.

Post NW:
2nd loss to Big Ten opponent = season over, team "tricked fans with an easy schedule"
No, you assumed a 4-0 start meant the team was destined for greatness, when actually you should have known from your in depth analysis that the team was somewhat flawed and had only won 6 games in 2 years prior. It was fun to get excited, but this cannot be unexpected to a well informed college football fan. Which few are in this town.

800000 to bow out of the UNC series = tax money(it's not actually tax money), my tax money spent to buy wins that trick me into thinking the team is better than they are like they did this year.
FIRE SOMEONE!

Post wisky:
NOW THEY ARE BURNING REDSHIRTS! KILL HAS NO CLUE! WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN 6-0 BEFORE THIS, WE SHOULD HAVE WON WITH A FRESHMAN AT QB AND 4 WALKONS playing on the O line and well, we suck, and I quit, and fire Kill, and we have nothing to look forward to.
Nevermind we had no healthy quarterbacks on the roster and 9 seniors who have been through hell for this program who deserve a fair chance at a bowl game to cap off their very gritty careers with.

And who is saying fire Kill or saying fire everyone?

Did you listen to it?
They basically explained that the UNC cancellation was on Kill's wishlist from the day he was hired, AND that it's not at all uncommon in college football to cancel series' like this.

My explanation for the mouth breathing goes further.
It's an NFL town. We have such an illiterate college football fanbase it's hilarious.
This includes ALL media types and writers from what I can gather.

Preseason expectations range from 2-7 wins, most at 5-6 wins, with a 3-1 or 4-0 NC schedule.
Post Syracuse:
4-0 in the NC preseason = 4-0 in an NFL season to the fans/media
Cue elevated expectations, scrutiny, attention.
Despite injuries, loss of best player, unknown beaten opponent quality, lack of depth

Post Iowa:
Loss to desperate rival opponent on road = sky is falling
Despite above, which are ignored because in depth analysis requires effort and college football isn't served to the average fan on a platter like the Vikings coverage is.

Post NW:
2nd loss to Big Ten opponent = season over, team "tricked fans with an easy schedule"
No, you assumed a 4-0 start meant the team was destined for greatness, when actually you should have known from your in depth analysis that the team was somewhat flawed and had only won 6 games in 2 years prior. It was fun to get excited, but this cannot be unexpected to a well informed college football fan. Which few are in this town.

800000 to bow out of the UNC series = tax money(it's not actually tax money), my tax money spent to buy wins that trick me into thinking the team is better than they are like they did this year.
FIRE SOMEONE!

Post wisky:
NOW THEY ARE BURNING REDSHIRTS! KILL HAS NO CLUE! WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN 6-0 BEFORE THIS, WE SHOULD HAVE WON WITH A FRESHMAN AT QB AND 4 WALKONS playing on the O line and well, we suck, and I quit, and fire Kill, and we have nothing to look forward to.
Nevermind we had no healthy quarterbacks on the roster and 9 seniors who have been through hell for this program who deserve a fair chance at a bowl game to cap off their very gritty careers with.

I think that about sums up the last 2 months pretty well.

What hasn't been mentioned much is that a case could be made the Gophers outplayed Iowa and Northwestern for 2.5 - 3 quarters of each of those games. Is that a rosy perspective? Probably a little, but the games were nowhere near as lopsided as they appeared. And quite honestly they didn't play that poorly against Wisky for 2+ quarters. Down 14-6, second half kickoff goes to Wisky, Gophers stop them 3-and-out, with the ball in position to tie. Not exactly a complete whitewashing.

I'm completely fine with where they're at right now. The average fan just can't seem to grasp the situation on the O-Line. It wasn't a great situation or area of strength to START the season, much less now as most of the positions have had a revolving door for the last 6 weeks.

Starting a couple of Sophomore safeties with little or no experience at the position hasn't exactly helped, as that's largely where the defense has gotten gashed, when it has.

If they can get even 4 of the opening day starting O-Line healthy for the remainder of the season, they'll scrape together a few wins to get bowl eligible.

Did you listen to it?

How common is it to spend $800,000 to get out of those games. Not spending $800,000 to GET a game, or even switch opponents. No, spending $800,000 to jut duck UNC. Everythingesle in there was just whitewash.

I think that about sums up the last 2 months pretty well.

What hasn't been mentioned much is that a case could be made the Gophers outplayed Iowa and Northwestern for 2.5 - 3 quarters of each of those games. Is that a rosy perspective? Probably a little, but the games were nowhere near as lopsided as they appeared. And quite honestly they didn't play that poorly against Wisky for 2+ quarters. Down 14-6, second half kickoff goes to Wisky, Gophers stop them 3-and-out, with the ball in position to tie. Not exactly a complete whitewashing.

I'm completely fine with where they're at right now. The average fan just can't seem to grasp the situation on the O-Line. It wasn't a great situation or area of strength to START the season, much less now as most of the positions have had a revolving door for the last 6 weeks.

Starting a couple of Sophomore safeties with little or no experience at the position hasn't exactly helped, as that's largely where the defense has gotten gashed, when it has.

If they can get even 4 of the opening day starting O-Line healthy for the remainder of the season, they'll scrape together a few wins to get bowl eligible.

..and others just can't quite grasp how lousy a QB Max Shortell proved to be. Luckily, the Head Coach could. Too bad Nelson wasn't ready before last Saturday. The Iowa and/or NW game could have gone the other way.

Top Bottom