Start Times Announced for Three Home Games

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per U of MN:

The Big Ten announced today five start times - three at home and two on the road - for Minnesota football games during the 2021 season.

Minnesota will host Ohio State at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 2 to start the season. That game will be televised nationally on FOX. In addition to broadcasting the game, FOX will also originate its Big Noon Kickoff pregame show on Thursday night to preview the game.

The conference also announced that Minnesota will host Miami (OH) at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 11. That game will be broadcast on ESPNU. Minnesota's homecoming game against Bowling Green on Sept. 25 will also be played at 11 a.m. and will be broadcast on an ESPN Network.

Two Minnesota road games – at Colorado and at Purdue – were also announced. Minnesota will play at Colorado at 12 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 18, and that game will be on the Pac-12 Network. The Gophers will also play at Purdue at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 2. Broadcast information for that game will be announced in the future.

Home teams and associated conferences own the television rights for each game and the conferences dictate television coverage.

--

I know they work well for some people but ugh to 11am kickoffs!

I like being able to get home and do other things. Also kids can go to games then.

Better than Friday games.

Oooof, living on the west coast is going to suck this season. So many early games!

So, the game at Colorado - is that 11:00am Central time or Mountain Time?

OK - checked the Colorado website, and it's 11:00am Mountain Time kickoff - so Noon Central.

Still, that's 4 of first 5 games with 11am or Noon starts.

Until we consistently prove otherwise, we are an 11am kickoff type of program.

Go Gophers!!

I know they work well for some people but ugh to 11am kickoffs!
Top kickoff times:

Saturday 5 or 6 pm
saturday 2:30
Saturday 7
Saturday 11am
Saturday 8 or later
Any Thursday
Any Friday

So while 11am sucks...at least I can watch the second half on tv...unlike games that conflict with high school football

I like the 11am starts personally

Get to bar @ west bank @ 8am. Work our way to Stubs and head into stadium @10:45. Vicotry post game beer @ stubs and wait for LRT crowd to thin out, get on LRT to target field, catch an uber home, take an hour nap, catch night games, go to bed

I was thinking of doing a Gopher (Colorado) then Viking (Arizona) road trip weekend, and with that game time, would be able to easily catch a Saturday night flight to Phoenix.

That's exactly what I will be doing. Gophers at CU Saturday, Vikes at AZ Sunday.

Fun weekend!

Go Gophers!!

Until we consistently prove otherwise, we are an 11am kickoff type of program.

Go Gophers!!

I don't think the kick-off times really reflect one way or another on the quality of the program. Fox actually showcases a lot of premier games as part of their "Big Noon" gambit. BTN stashes a lot of yawners in their 2:30 pm slot. Sometimes it's just a better fit for whatever network is showing the game to put it on earlier.

Go back to 2019, the Sept 14 game vs Ga Southern was at 2:30 pm. With all due respect to GSUTalon, I don't think that was a late afternoon kick based on the marquee value of that match-up. Turned out to be a heck of a game though.

The only 11am game at the Bank that year...Penn St. EDIT GameDay shoulda been there. Sort of a big one.

Last edited:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like the 11:00 starts. In addition to being a Gophers season-ticket holder, I'm also a huge fan of college football in general. I can get to Dinkytown for breakfast and a couple of beers before the game, saunter over to TCF Bank Stadium for a great Gophers game, then get home in time for the second half of the afternoon games and all of the evening games. Life is good.

I don't think the kick-off times really reflect one way or another on the quality of the program. Fox actually showcases a lot of premier games as part of their "Big Noon" gambit. BTN stashes a lot of yawners in their 2:30 pm slot. Sometimes it's just a better fit for whatever network is showing the game to put it on earlier.

Go back to 2019, the Sept 14 game vs Ga Southern was at 2:30 pm. With all due respect to GSUTalon, I don't think that was a late afternoon kick based on the marquee value of that match-up. Turned out to be a heck of a game though.

The only 11am game at the Bank that year...Penn St. I think GameDay was there. Sort of a big one.
GameDay was not there.

I don't mind an 11 AM kick or two every season, early morning tailgating can be fun.

But 4 in a row after Ohio State? Booooooo

This thread is more evidence that normalcy is making its way back.

Great to see.

Billds don't mind the 11 AM starts. Just wish more Stadium Village businesses were open to accommodate those not tailgating.

Perhaps 11am games are a sign of respect.

In 2019 the Gophers played only 2 games total at 11am, (Home Penn St & Away Northwestern).

Meanwhile the teams that were in the Big 10 Championship Game:

Ohio St - 7 Total / 5 Home & 3 Away
Wisconsin - 6 Total / 3 Home & 3 Away

Granted, earlier games in the Eastern Time Zone, are a little easier to handle at Noon. Iowa also had 6 games with an 11 am kick (4 Home & 2 Away).

If I ruled the world, Gopher kick-offs would be:

Aug/Sept - Prime Time (6 - 7:30 pm)
Oct - Late Afternoon (2-4 pm)
Nov - Early (11 am - 1 pm)

I like 11a.m. kickoffs. I don't like that the Colorado game is going to be on the Pac-12 Network. No national channel could have picked that one up?

Like someone said these games are all coming forward in pre-determined network deals. Yes it's a rare nuisance where we don't have an easy, convenient option. We've got the Pac-12 network with our cable, but who knows if this game is the one that gets shown here in the TC (but hope so).

I like the 11am starts personally

Get to bar @ west bank @ 8am. Work our way to Stubs and head into stadium @10:45. Vicotry post game beer @ stubs and wait for LRT crowd to thin out, get on LRT to target field, catch an uber home, take an hour nap, catch night games, go to bed
Single?

Isn’t their game with Texas always at 11am? Also, do they not realize they’re playing the 2021 Nebraska team, not any of the teams from the 70s or 80s?

Isn’t their game with Texas always at 11am? Also, do they not realize they’re playing the 2021 Nebraska team, not any of the teams from the 70s or 80s?

I can understand being disappointed to some extent ,but man what a whiny thing to make a statement about.

Beat a bottom dwelling B1G team and move on...

It's a roll of the dice when you're the road team. Like I said earlier, unless something changes, there's at least a good option where most people can stream it for free.
Anyone that was around for AggieVision learned that sometimes you have to make do with what you can.

Top Bottom