Spring Season & Roster 2023

I wonder how awkward things were with Landfair and Shaffmaster, playing with Booth at USA tryouts, etc.. And how awkward it will be if all 3 make the final cut.
Well seeing as I doubt that Shaff, still, has learned how to run a proper 1 set on anything other than a perfect pass, Booth probably will not get that many sets anyway.

In my opinion, the whole premise. Not a lie, but incorrect. But what I meant by my post is that it was unnecessarily harsh. (And I'm assuming you meant "hasn't.")
Neither Landfair nor Wucherer would be a better passer than a really solid DS. Would sub them both out if we had two really good ones. Nebraska 2021, Texas 2022. Correct

“I doubt that Shaff has …” Correct

Last edited:

Last edited:

Also, again, why would an opposite with 2 years left come here from a P5 program???

We already have Crowl and Schnichels.

We don’t need another opposite. We need DS

Neither Landfair nor Wucherer would be a better passer than a really solid DS. Would sub them both out if we had two really good ones. Nebraska 2022, Texas 2023. Correct

“I doubt that Shaff has …” Correct
Sorry, yes, correct.

Nebraska 2022, Texas 2023 each had ELITE libero/DS combinations (some of the same people even). The problem with your premise is that you are making a hasty generalization.

Furthermore, both Landfair and Wucherer bring elements to the backrow that the Nebraska and Texas DSs do not. Would it be enough to offset what ELITE DSs would bring? Maybe. Maybe not. Would it offset what good DSs would bring? Much more likely.

Sorry, yes, correct.

Nebraska 2022, Texas 2023 each had ELITE libero/DS combinations (some of the same people even). The problem with your premise is that you are making a hasty generalization.

Furthermore, both Landfair and Wucherer bring elements to the backrow that the Nebraska and Texas DSs do not. Would it be enough to offset what ELITE DSs would bring? Maybe. Maybe not. Would it offset what good DSs would bring? Much more likely.
Not making a generalization because I’m fully ceding the point to you that we may not have any such DS on the roster by this fall.

I was talking about roster construction. Not game strategy no matter what.

So your argument is that better players should play if they are on the roster. Great. Agreed.

I thought your argument is that a team that uses DSs is going to be stronger than a team with 6ro players -- and that the Gophers were automatically out of contention because 6 ro players can win in today's game, just the Olympics, etc. Strongly disagree with that one.

Except if you have aspirations to go on and play for the national team as a 6 ro player, or play internationally, you need that experience in the NCAA. Karch has even said he's trying to influence college coaches to train and play the way the national team does with 6 ro players.

Opposite Lydia Grote joins the Gophers.
Her sister Marin played under KC for 5 years at Washington and now plays pro in the Turkish League. Must've spoken highly of him. I'm expecting Grote to take on a similar role as Gros last year (mentorship and energy) as we have young talent in that position.

I have a friend living in Hawaii who attended the Wednesday match. She stated that Wucherer was struggling in the back row passing/digging. She also stated how she felt Gray's performance as the Libero was good. I found these statements interesting.

I am not one of the Gopher coaches and just have to put my failth in them that they know how to judge talent and what this Gopher team does or does not need in transfers in. RIght now as a Gopher fan, I am happy with what this Coaching Staff has done bringing in three EXPERIENCED players.

So your argument is that better players should play if they are on the roster. Great. Agreed.

I thought your argument is that a team that uses DSs is going to be stronger than a team with 6ro players -- and that the Gophers were automatically out of contention because 6 ro players can win in today's game, just the Olympics, etc. Strongly disagree with that one.
The actual argument I'm making is simple, clear, and correct. You're purposefully here trying to obfuscate, because you don't like it. That's all that's going on here.

To make the simple, clear, and correct argument once again: the strategy for recruiting and building a roster that emphasizes front row/backrow specialization, is superior in college women's volleyball to the strategy that emphasizes Olympic style six-rotation players.

Hugh's lack of success, vs. the success of teams like Neb 2021 and Tex 2022 proves it.

Except if you have aspirations to go on and play for the national team as a 6 ro player, or play internationally, you need that experience in the NCAA.
Nope. You don't!

Karch has even said he's trying to influence college coaches to train and play the way the national team does with 6 ro players.
I don't give a good crap what Karch wants.

If I'm trying to win titles in college, I'm going to do the thing that wins titles in college. I'll give Karch my middle finger and tell him to go sit on it and spin.

I have a friend living in Hawaii who attended the Wednesday match. She stated that Wucherer was struggling in the back row passing/digging. She also stated how she felt Gray's performance as the Libero was good. I found these statements interesting.

I am not one of the Gopher coaches and just have to put my failth in them that they know how to judge talent and what this Gopher team does or does not need in transfers in. RIght now as a Gopher fan, I am happy with what this Coaching Staff has done bringing in three EXPERIENCED players.
Also have no problem bringing in an older player to be an experience mentor, so long as she wasn't led on with false hopes of starting.

Grote has as much chance of starting here as Hanson does, barring injuries.

Some are saying Crowl hitting really well this spring. She still has three more seasons to play.

Crowl, Wucherer, Landfair, Hanson all still have three seasons of eligibility. Schnichels obviously coming in with four.

How do you keep them all happy?? An unfortunate reality that there are only three starting pin spots.

Hanson and Schnichels want to play. They aren't going to sit on the bench for years.

Unless we're really going to try to run a 6-2 double sub, that opens one more frontcourt spot on the right.

For the cost of tonight's ticket (plus parking fee and food) I decided to stay home and purchase a BTN+ Conference Monthly Pass for a total of $16.02. I can now watch both Gophers and Badgers VB matches vs. Athletes Unlimited.

YOU DO NOT NEED A SUBSCRIPTION TO BTN TO WATCH THE BTN+.

For the cost of tonight's ticket (plus parking fee and food) I decided to stay home and purchase a BTN+ Conference Monthly Pass for a total of $16.02. I can now watch both Gophers and Badgers VB matches vs. Athletes Unlimited.

YOU DO NOT NEED A SUBSCRIPTION TO BTN TO WATCH THE BTN+.
Great idea! Though I elected for the Minnesota only pass for $10. Don’t need to watch Wisconsin spring team.

I spend well more than $10 at a time on Amazon without batting an eye. Worth it, hope it’s a great match tonight!

Watching the match tonight. They are really switching things up with players from both teams. Sets tied 1-1. I am not sure why, but most of the available Gophers tonight are playing each other in the third set.

Minatee has an injury and is not playing tonight. Personally, after viewing these Spring matches, I would like to see another experienced MB added to the roster besides Phoebo making a total of 4.

I would also feel so much better with the addition of 2 experienced DS/L added to this roster. Shall see what the May 1 Portal can possibly bring us.

I agree, Davis has some offensive prowess at middle, but leaves a lot to be desired in blocking. She was late on pretty much every block last night. I hope Phoebe is a good blocker AND can hit. Minatee could potentially win the spot over Davis but it could be nice to have a 4th option.

Adding an excellent passer is a must in my opinion for this season. Murr will be good, but I would love to see another come in. If we get another high level passer, this is a tough team.

Gray actually looked fine to me. If they’re only going to use a L + DS, then Murr and her should be able to lock it down reasonably well.

I wish we could have Bastianelli ! She was great in that first set. (Or 2nd, can’t remember)

Other interesting thing is if they’ll actually try the 6-2 double sub. Lets Crowl and one more eat up front, which looks like Hanson for now.

Schnichels did not get much time until later sets. Don’t know what she was ranked as a recruit nationwide or what her ceiling is, but no chance in hell she’s sitting in the bench for the next three seasons. Nor will Hanson

After last night's Spring match -

1 - IMO Hanson again looked really good. I just feel she does the best job of connecting with Shaff's setting. It appears, because of her leaping ability, she can adjust the best to any set. Her contact with the ball is the most solid. Wucherer isn't doing too bad either and Crowl has her moments.

2 - IMO Landfair appears to be struggling the most. But in all fairness to her she is getting many OOS sets and not adjusting well to the sets. It is reminding me a lot of Hart who finally had her best season her Senior year.

3 - Yes the serving is so so so much better. So happy we have NEW COACHES who have addressed that issue. On the flip side it is very evident we need more than MURR in the back row. Again, I am hoping for two new experienced DS/L.

4 - I would love to see another maybe 5th yr Grad MB added to the roster. Injuries are happening in this sport more and more. I have not seen Phoebe play, but IMO Minatee would be a starter along with her. Davis' game is a work in progress. She is the least effective IMO in closing the block.

5 - Lastly, shout out to McGhie her defense was on for most of the match. She came up with some great digs.

Again, I am hoping for two new experienced DS/L.
Again, what evidence do you have that they'll actually use more than the L and one DS in matches?

Assuming that's all they use, then to me Gray has earned the DS starting spot based on what I saw in the match.

Obviously they're not going to turn down a solid transfer if one shows interest.

4 - I would love to see another maybe 5th yr Grad MB added to the roster.
This makes wayyyyyyyyy more sense than adding Grote.

I still can't believe she is coming here when there is absolutely no room at pin.

Same thing though, if she's more to be on the team and provide experience, fine. That's of course her call.

I personally cannot see Gray playing next season Her game IMO is not a good fit for our offense especially, if we want to run a fast paced offense. I understand how fans would love to see all of our bench players finally get playing time, but the truth of the matter is they will not. Coaches transfer in for a reason.....they just do. Their decisions are what matters in winning and losing and putting forth the most competitive Gopher team possible.

After watching last night's match without possibly three Wisconsin starters not playing, it is going to take an extremely solid all around offense/defense on the Gophers part to compete with them. There is absolutely no doubt they will be the BIG team to beat next season.

Lastly, INJURIES. They plague every team every season. To be on the top you have to be prepared for that. Look...Minatee has already seen an injury and it is only the Spring Season.

Again, it will be interesting with the upcoming May portal to see what these Gopher coaches do. Look what they have done with our serving game already.

Last edited:

I've heard from several people that Grote is an All-American caliber player who was stuck "taking out the trash" for a Cal team with severely below par passing and setting.

It will be a very interesting fall. I know the league is stacked but this Gopher team will be very, very good. Aggressive serving is music to my ears, one of my favorite parts of the game.

Top Bottom