Spring Season & Roster 2023

It’s not like I’m advocating for littles in the front row! Come on man.

(Though I’d gladly sacrifice some height at setter for better hands)

You saw what Texas did to us and what they did in Omaha. Their littles won the natty for them and beat us. Yeah, they had *horses* in the front, too. I’m not saying you don’t need both.

I’m saying, you need both!

Until and If they change the rules regarding subs in the college game:

Specialization >>>> Olympic style

To be in Hawaii in early March, one can dream. Let's get that first W outta the way.

For those who didn't follow, here are a few things KC played around with:
Sets 1-3: Elise as serving sub (same use as under Hugh); Arica and Calissa 3R
Set 2: Julia Hanson subbing in backrow for Crowl
Sets 4-5: 6-2 with Elise, played Syd and Lauren 3-rotation. In lieu of a DS or serving sub, Arica served for herself (1-3 while serving).

Various notes:
-Landfair did not play in sets 4 and 5. She struggled early, hitting .167
-Mel led the team with 12 digs, followed by Skylar (10) and Julia (8)
-The most standout performance was probably Arica Davis, going 5/7 with 1 error and 4 blocks
-The team went 19-17 with Elise setting (and 80-87 with Mel). This may be because Mel was not her usual offensive threat, hitting .000 on 5 attempts (1K, 1E)
-We struggled with blocking, only tallying 7 (0 in the first set). Hawaii fans at the game pointed out (on VT) that this is likely due to a lack of scouting, though blocking is absolutely a concern given last year

Overall, the performance fit how "TaKenna" (Taylor/McKenna's nickname for themselves) described our team: not flawless, but feisty. Some concerns (though far too early to be genuinely concerned), and several promising threads.

It would be great if posters could use last names.

I have no idea what the first names are, or to whom you're referring when you just use a first name.

I'm not on a first-name basis with any of these people. Frankly, neither are you, unless you're a big time booster who gets to attend special events and actually meet these people.

Thanks

Is it concerning that Landfair didn’t play the entire match?Does anyone know why? What about Sydney Schnichels?

Is it concerning that Landfair didn’t play the entire match?Does anyone know why? What about Sydney Schnichels?
I don't think so. Spring matches are usually a chance for coaches to experiment with different lineups. Often, they will only play 4 sets. It sounds like both teams went with their full strength lineups for set 1 before switching things up.

For those who didn't follow, here are a few things KC played around with:
Sets 1-3: Elise as serving sub (same use as under Hugh); Arica and Calissa 3R
Set 2: Julia Hanson subbing in backrow for Crowl
Sets 4-5: 6-2 with Elise, played Syd and Lauren 3-rotation. In lieu of a DS or serving sub, Arica served for herself (1-3 while serving).

Various notes:
-Landfair did not play in sets 4 and 5. She struggled early, hitting .167
-Mel led the team with 12 digs, followed by Skylar (10) and Julia (8)
-The most standout performance was probably Arica Davis, going 5/7 with 1 error and 4 blocks
-The team went 19-17 with Elise setting (and 80-87 with Mel). This may be because Mel was not her usual offensive threat, hitting .000 on 5 attempts (1K, 1E)
-We struggled with blocking, only tallying 7 (0 in the first set). Hawaii fans at the game pointed out (on VT) that this is likely due to a lack of scouting, though blocking is absolutely a concern given last year

Overall, the performance fit how "TaKenna" (Taylor/McKenna's nickname for themselves) described our team: not flawless, but feisty. Some concerns (though far too early to be genuinely concerned), and several promising threads.
How was passing? From what I saw on clips from Hawaii's instagram it looked a little rough. How did Gray do at libero and passing in general?

I assume there’s good reason why we directly sought after and are taking Murr for the fall.

How was passing? From what I saw on clips from Hawaii's instagram it looked a little rough. How did Gray do at libero and passing in general?
Unfortunately I was just watching the stat lines, but people in Hawaii on volleytalk suggested that it was pretty rough

It would be great if posters could use last names.

I have no idea what the first names are, or to whom you're referring when you just use a first name.

I'm not on a first-name basis with any of these people. Frankly, neither are you, unless you're a big time booster who gets to attend special events and actually meet these people.

Thanks
Apparently you are destined to be annoyed and disgruntled for the next ten months

What happens in 10 months?

Also, why do you feel justified in calling a celebrity/athlete by their first name only when you’ve never even met the person or talked to them?

Seems weird. Doubly weird if done for female athletes but not male.

Yes probably to early for concerns. However, because of unexpected injuries in this sport like all of them, I would love to see this back court with two EXPERIENCED DS's brought in besides Murr. If the latter went down, then what? We all know how much we need a STEADY CONSISTENT BACK COURT to succeed next season.

Very happy to see that KCook was willing to experiment with a 6-2, but not necessarily happy for the reason he had to. No matter what, H McCutcheon probably would not have done the same. Very interesting stats as a result of that decision.

What happens in 10 months?

Also, why do you feel justified in calling a celebrity/athlete by their first name only when you’ve never even met the person or talked to them?

Seems weird. Doubly weird if done for female athletes but not male.
Great questions! Let me break this down for you. I'd love to hear others' input (especially from players and parents)

a) The season ends and the group dies down briefly between when transfers slow down and spring ball starts.

b) Because they’re also people. Most people look at last names in sports the same as numbers- as a way of distinguishing players. The last names are used because there's more repetition in first names. However, the way we use last names points to people only as a descriptive characteristic: it's akin to referring to somebody as their number, position, or accolades. If I say "Minnesota's primary OH," "number 12," "the B1G Player of the Year," or "Landfair," these all make you think of the same person, but only as a player—not as a person with a life outside of the sport. Calling her Taylor, on the other hand, is more likely to make you think of her holistically as a person. I'm not arguing that this is the inherent meaning of first vs last names, but that these are the ways they're typically used and understood in sports.

Now, why is it important to talk about athletes as people and not just players? It's well-documented that student athletes* struggle disproportionately with mental illness (see, for example, this article's literature review). A major reason for this is that the demands we (peers, parents, coaches, and the overall community) make of student athletes lose sight of their personhood. This is visible when we stigmatize off-days, produce media around how one player's mistake may have singlehandedly lost a game or season, and broadly place way more pressure on a student athlete than any 18-22 year old should have to deal with. Think about Simone Biles and the criticism/threats she faced for her partial olympic withdrawal. Of course it sounds silly to say that the solution to this is to call them by their first names, but anything we can do to stop the "de-personification" of student athletes is a step in the right direction. And, one step further, insisting on not calling student athletes by their first name (yes, unintentionally) reinforces this de-personification.

Another way of looking at it is, who do you typically call by their last name? In general, the answer is adults and people who are "above" you (in rank or whatever else that may mean). It may not sound bad to treat student athletes with the respect of an associate, boss, etc. However, the same problem arises here: creating that persona for them is a way of justifying putting more weight on their shoulders than any teenager/young adult should have to worry about. Obviously there's going to be more pressure on a student athlete than their non-athlete peers, that's inevitable. But the gap is too big, and that leads to its own plethora of problems.

*This problem extends beyond student athletes, but that's a way bigger issue and this is already going to be too long of a post as it is.

c) You are absolutely right. It's weird to only do this for women's sports. But that actually works the other way; women's sports are closer to how we should try to treat student athletes. Let me walk you through it.

I was talking with people about the different rules in women's hockey and I realized that I never understood who was in support of this difference. Based on the way the game's played it seems like all of the girls wish they were allowed to hit each other. So, I looked it up, and I found an interesting perspective (aside from the idea that it's not "lady-like"). The article I read mentioned that part of the reason women's sports are less physical is that there is less of a path to sports as a career for women. As such, it makes sense why they take more care to prevent against life-changing injury (as awful as it sounds, there isn't the "upside" of that preparing them for a career in the NHL). This is part of why within men's hockey, the rules allow for a more physical game the higher up you get.

Now, how does any of that relate? Professional athletes are celebrities and, like other athletes, they tend not to be seen as people. With higher chances of making a career in their sport, male student athletes are seen as people less than their female counterparts. So, to summarize, it's not that we disrespect female athletes by calling them by their first names. Rather, one small silver lining of the inequalities in pro sports is that female student athletes get seen more as people because they're more likely to grow into a life outside of their sport. And the solution to this, to the extent that one exists, is not to stop seeing female athletes as people, but instead to work on seeing male athletes that way too.

Sorry this was so long, I started typing and couldn't stop... hopefully this helps clear things up for you.

At a university famous for Bronko; PJ, Hugh and Tubby, for example, are colloquialisms certainly worthy, useful and understandable on message boards.

At a university famous for Bronko; PJ, Hugh and Tubby, for example, are colloquialisms certainly worthy, useful and understandable on message boards.
Nope.

No player, football or men's basketball included, rises to the level of first name only recognizeability.

Imagine referring to Michael Jordan or Michael Jackson as just "Michael". :sneaky:

On the other hand, probably almost everyone says "Tiger" or at least "Tiger Woods". There are exceptions.

I said my piece.

Highly doubt those who are doing it are going to change. Let's stop derailing and get back to spring season.

Great questions! Let me break this down for you. I'd love to hear others' input (especially from players and parents)

a) The season ends and the group dies down briefly between when transfers slow down and spring ball starts.

b) Because they’re also people. Most people look at last names in sports the same as numbers- as a way of distinguishing players. The last names are used because there's more repetition in first names. However, the way we use last names points to people only as a descriptive characteristic: it's akin to referring to somebody as their number, position, or accolades. If I say "Minnesota's primary OH," "number 12," "the B1G Player of the Year," or "Landfair," these all make you think of the same person, but only as a player—not as a person with a life outside of the sport. Calling her Taylor, on the other hand, is more likely to make you think of her holistically as a person. I'm not arguing that this is the inherent meaning of first vs last names, but that these are the ways they're typically used and understood in sports.

Now, why is it important to talk about athletes as people and not just players? It's well-documented that student athletes* struggle disproportionately with mental illness (see, for example, this article's literature review). A major reason for this is that the demands we (peers, parents, coaches, and the overall community) make of student athletes lose sight of their personhood. This is visible when we stigmatize off-days, produce media around how one player's mistake may have singlehandedly lost a game or season, and broadly place way more pressure on a student athlete than any 18-22 year old should have to deal with. Think about Simone Biles and the criticism/threats she faced for her partial olympic withdrawal. Of course it sounds silly to say that the solution to this is to call them by their first names, but anything we can do to stop the "de-personification" of student athletes is a step in the right direction. And, one step further, insisting on not calling student athletes by their first name (yes, unintentionally) reinforces this de-personification.

Another way of looking at it is, who do you typically call by their last name? In general, the answer is adults and people who are "above" you (in rank or whatever else that may mean). It may not sound bad to treat student athletes with the respect of an associate, boss, etc. However, the same problem arises here: creating that persona for them is a way of justifying putting more weight on their shoulders than any teenager/young adult should have to worry about. Obviously there's going to be more pressure on a student athlete than their non-athlete peers, that's inevitable. But the gap is too big, and that leads to its own plethora of problems.

*This problem extends beyond student athletes, but that's a way bigger issue and this is already going to be too long of a post as it is.

c) You are absolutely right. It's weird to only do this for women's sports. But that actually works the other way; women's sports are closer to how we should try to treat student athletes. Let me walk you through it.

I was talking with people about the different rules in women's hockey and I realized that I never understood who was in support of this difference. Based on the way the game's played it seems like all of the girls wish they were allowed to hit each other. So, I looked it up, and I found an interesting perspective (aside from the idea that it's not "lady-like"). The article I read mentioned that part of the reason women's sports are less physical is that there is less of a path to sports as a career for women. As such, it makes sense why they take more care to prevent against life-changing injury (as awful as it sounds, there isn't the "upside" of that preparing them for a career in the NHL). This is part of why within men's hockey, the rules allow for a more physical game the higher up you get.

Now, how does any of that relate? Professional athletes are celebrities and, like other athletes, they tend not to be seen as people. With higher chances of making a career in their sport, male student athletes are seen as people less than their female counterparts. So, to summarize, it's not that we disrespect female athletes by calling them by their first names. Rather, one small silver lining of the inequalities in pro sports is that female student athletes get seen more as people because they're more likely to grow into a life outside of their sport. And the solution to this, to the extent that one exists, is not to stop seeing female athletes as people, but instead to work on seeing male athletes that way too.

Sorry this was so long, I started typing and couldn't stop... hopefully this helps clear things up for you.

I wore out my scroll wheel reading this.

I had asked about Landfair and her not playing the 4th and 5th sets of the opening night match against Hawaii. I see she was the only player to play just one set in match number two. Are we sure she’s 100%?

I had asked about Landfair and her not playing the 4th and 5th sets of the opening night match against Hawaii. I see she was the only player to play just one set in match number two. Are we sure she’s 100%?
I know zero insider info, but wild guess is that there's just no point in pushing her in an off-season exhibition match when she's the established starter.

Others suggested spring matches are a great time to mix things up and try new things. So it makes sense to me.

If Landfair was injured she wouldn't play at all. Hanson needs reps, Landfair does not.

Biggest story of the Hawaii trip is Crowl hitting over .300 on over 50 attempts. I think they can officially scrap trying to find another right side and start focusing on finding another DS.

If Landfair was injured she wouldn't play at all. Hanson needs reps, Landfair does not.

Biggest story of the Hawaii trip is Crowl hitting over .300 on over 50 attempts. I think they can officially scrap trying to find another right side and start focusing on finding another DS.
So , Landfair is the only player on the team that doesn’t need reps? Doesn’t make sense to me. Did Hawaii sit out their best player?

So , Landfair is the only player on the team that doesn’t need reps? Doesn’t make sense to me. Did Hawaii sit out their best player?

Correct, Hawaii's best hitter from last year did not play all 5 sets in either match.

Good to know. I was worried about her past injury resurfacing . Thanks.

Until and If they change the rules regarding subs in the college game:

Specialization >>>> Olympic style
If you have great DSs, maybe. If your 6ro players are better -- or even close to as good -- no way.

I wonder how awkward things were with Landfair and Shaffmaster, playing with Booth at USA tryouts, etc.. And how awkward it will be if all 3 make the final cut.

If you have great DSs, maybe. If your 6ro players are better -- or even close to as good -- no way.
But therein lies the rub: how many college volleyball players have the size and raw athletic ability to be top 10 dominating front court pin hitters and top 10 passers with their frames??

There’s a good reason the best defenders in volleyball are littles. Speed/quickness, ability to get close to the floor, ability to throw your body around without causing injury (as much). Are Olympic liberos littles or bigs?

Texas 2022 proves it. That’s how you win in college. Silly to fight it

Top Bottom