Speculation on who is joining which conference

Georgia Tech, is closer to Cal Tech and MIT than a public school in the usual sense. They pull a lot of tech academic talent from all over the world.

Of course, they have some strong tradition and fanbase. Not denying that. Academically, they'd fit right into the Big Ten.

But so would Pitt. And some others.

I don't think the Big Ten is expanding to 32.

I know Ga Tech’s football program has been down for a while, and they will always be second fiddle in Georgia to UGA, but I wanted Tech when we expanded the first time and would take them now too. Many of their fans are hoping that now too as the ACC future looks murky. I’ve already peeked at some Tech forums. Big10 traditional powers playing conference road games in Atlanta would be unsettling for some in the SEC. Selfishly, I hope it is Tech as it would give me greater access to in person Big10 football since I live in the Peach State.
Although dominated by the SEC and ACC, lots of B1G transplants in Atlanta and the Metro.

Might be more buzz than just Buzz if GT joined the conference.

Like has been said before though...someone has to lose...and the losers get paid anyway too...
Yup. I was at the game in 1977 where Montana blew them out 69-14. Wasn't as bad as the Gopher loss to Nebby but I did feel bad for GT that day.

You think if Notre Dame joins full time that the rest of the ACC schools leave, now?

GOR in place until 2036. They maybe get $50M per school per year? Yeah, that's half, but that's not nothing.

At the end of that GOR contract, I could see a lot of movement. Sure
I didn't say "now". Where are you getting that $50 million figure? Current projections for payouts have ACC schools getting roughly $30M, about 54% of what B1G/SEC schools get. That gap is going to only grow, quickly.

There have been rumblings and reporting that Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and Arizona State are looking at the Big 12.

There have been rumblings and reporting that Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and Arizona State are looking at the Big 12.
I think that makes a lot of sense for the Big XII. Would pretty much start the dominos of Stanford, Washington and Cal moving to the B1G.

UCLA and USC to the B1G appears to be a done deal. I highly doubt that is the end of this.

What are your predictions of the end game?

Mine? B1G grows to 20 or more teams (SEC too). 6 or 7 team pods with pod playoffs at season’s end. The whole thing will resemble the NFL.

For example, USC and UCLA are just the tip of the iceberg and a new B1G west coast pod will form around these two along with Washington, Oregon, Stanford, and Cal.
Congrats Schnauzer on the kid's choice of schools. My youngest went to Hawaii for same cost as UM. Very funny read.

Article on Sports Illustrated.com has Pat Forde saying that a person with inside knowledge of Notre Dame’s thinking is that the Irish still prefer to remain independent. It appears that as long as the ACC holds together, Notre Dame for right now is content with the status quo. What happens with the CFP could also alter their decision making. Further expansion or the implosion of the ACC could force their hand but it would seem, at least for now, that the USC/UCLA move is not going to be enough to budge the Irish.

Article on Sports Illustrated.com has Pat Forde saying that a person with inside knowledge of Notre Dame’s thinking is that the Irish still prefer to remain independent. It appears that as long as the ACC holds together, Notre Dame for right now is content with the status quo. What happens with the CFP could also alter their decision making. Further expansion or the implosion of the ACC could force their hand but it would seem, at least for now, that the USC/UCLA move is not going to be enough to budge the Irish.
Interesting I don't buy it.

Interesting I don't buy it.
I don’t either….I don’t think. I mean, I can understand Notre Dame PREFERRING to stay independent, but I find it hard to believe that ND is going to be happy with the dollars from their NBC contract and the contract the ACC has, when compared to what the Big10 and the SEC are making.

That’s why I also don’t see the ACC holding together even with their GOR clause. The bigger programs in that conference are not going to happy to be that far behind…and you wouldn’t think ND would be either.

Possibly a ND tidbit in all this. Saw somewhere that ND is not an AAU school.

Because they are ND that would not disqualify them in any sense if they said yes to the B1G. Still, that's a criteria very likely being applied to every other future entrant.

Fun fact...Nebraska is not an AAU school either. They lost that status and have not sought to have it back.

Here's an article from last August detailing some of this...

On a personal note, off to get a new knee this AM. Looking forward to GH occupying some downtime as I recuperate. Probably will fire up the DVR too for some past glory...

I think if the Big Ten wants ND they need to start the convincing now
Well, let ND go to the SEC... then they can find a new conference for ice hockey, since they play in the B1G. 😆

I think there's too much money involved for ND to turn the B1G down this time...

I would take off the gloves and target Vanderbilt. Who says the SEC needs to exist? It’s like Highlander — there can be only one.

Possibly a ND tidbit in all this. Saw somewhere that ND is not an AAU school.

Because they are ND that would not disqualify them in any sense if they said yes to the B1G. Still, that's a criteria very likely being applied to every other future entrant.

Fun fact...Nebraska is not an AAU school either. They lost that status and have not sought to have it back.

Here's an article from last August detailing some of this...

On a personal note, off to get a new knee this AM. Looking forward to GH occupying some downtime as I recuperate. Probably will fire up the DVR too for some past glory...
Iowa State recently left the AAU. ISU does not have a medical school and it was thought that agriculture research was downplayed by the AAU. I'm sure ISU was on the verge of being expelled, so they decided to leave voluntarily. This is similar to Syracuse a while back. If I remember, they were talked about as possible B1G member, but that soon went away.

I wish the conferences would have stayed regional and we’d still have power conferences consisting of the B1G, SEC, Pac10, SWC/Big 8, ACC, and Big East.

But, regardless if it can all be traced back to Texas or not, one way or the other we have been marching toward mega conferences for 10 years or more now.

With the USC/UCLA moves, we know there are more rounds of this ahead. I just wish we could get to the end game sooner rather than later. Definitely thankful the Gophers are in a good place as these changes continue to swirl.

That move would make no sense. I’m not sure there are any Big 12 schools that are even worth it for the PAC 12 to add at this point. Going the other way would destroy even more value.
Not following your post...isn't the article that those schools would move from Pac12 to Big XII?

What is happening now (start with last week and going for the next couple months) will be things that movies (or at least ESPN 30 for 30's) will be written about.

The amount of phone calls that must be taking place since last week between Pac12 and Big Ten. Between ACC teams and lawyers. Between ACC and ESPN. Between PAC12 and Big 12. Possibly between ACC now and Pac12. Between Pac 12 and FOX has to be incredibly high.

Do you think PAC12 feels real good about FOX when FOX helped ensure USC and UCLA moved to the Big 10?

How does the ACC feel about being locked in with ESPN in a deal that pays about 40% or less than what the next Big Ten contract will.

How do the ACC teams who would have a warm chair in the Big Ten conference feel about being locked in to the ACC and ESPN on a bad Grant of Rights deal until 2036?

A lot of people and teams are being pushed out of their comfort zone. A lot of phone calls must be taking place.

I'm probably in the minority, but I would like to see Colorado added (among the other potentials) to provide a "bridge" to the west, and they could reignite their natural rivalry with Nebraska.

Colorado is an AAU member, btw.

Oregon to the ACC, eh? Make it stop.

That sounds like a horrific negotiation tactic at best.

Why Oregon would want to move to a declining league like the ACC makes zero sense.

Oregon would be better off as an independent than to choose that for themselves. It must be Oregon's way to hopefully get a Big Ten invite sooner, vs later.

Not following your post...isn't the article that those schools would move from Pac12 to Big XII?
That is what it’s about.

But I am sure the Pac12 could get any member it wants from the Big12 right now. And I don’t see any they are likely to consider worth taking. So, I question why these schools would go the opposite direction and become partners with all of the Big12 programs, including 4 that aren’t even P5 programs yet.

Top Bottom