Speculation on who is joining which conference

This is all so weird. College football is heavy on tradition, which I love, so it'll take time to sink in. We're going back to the future to about 100 years ago when college football conferences were dramatically changing.

I'll have to look for Dave Revsine's take on this from a historical perspective.

I think Washington would want Oregon over Cal because of the travel distance. It’s about 300 miles from Seattle to Eugene, but about 850 to Stanford. Hard to have a good rivalry that far apart.

Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford will be added. 4 divisions of 5 teams, play everyone in your division and 2 from every other division. 10 game conference schedule. Division winners compete in 4 team playoff for conference title. SEC will poach 4 from the ACC and do the same. Playoff expansion talk ends.

I think more schools end up joining, anywhere from 2 to 16 more.

But what if the simple answer sticks? What if they just put USC and UCLA in the West (which lives on) and slide Purdue East and call it a day? How do we like our chances?

IMO the next logical move is to add ND and Texas. Gives the Big 10 two to the biggest viewerships in the country and moves the Big 10 into the south thus dominating the landscape of the country.

The SEC vs. Big Ten geography is looking more and more like a Civil War map.
View attachment 19126

Or the Red State / Blue State presidential electoral map. Seems fitting for the times that we live in that college football is also headed for a split society in that way. At least when Civil War Part II comes around, there won't need to be another round of college football realignment.

Fuck Notre Dame...let them go to the SEC and not only lose to schools from Mississippi.

I would rather have Oregon and Washington, North Carolina and Virginia.
I agree with this, and would add, I'd rather have Stanford, CU, Cal, AZ or Utah.

Or the Red State / Blue State presidential electoral map. Seems fitting for the times that we live in that college football is also headed for a split society in that way. At least when Civil War Part II comes around, there won't need to be another round of college football realignment.
You have to believe UCLA and USC are much better cultural fits in the Big 10 than
the SEC.

The only schools big enough to grow the pie enough to not shrink the individual slices are: Notre Dame, Washington and Oregon. AZ State is close.

I think ND does nothing, Washington and Oregon move to the Big Ten, and the SEC adds AZ State and Colorado to grow their footprint into those media markets (after the Big Ten rejects them).

Cal, Washington and Oregon need to be next. That creates 20 conference teams and ability to form 4 5-team divisions with a pure play West Coast division for historical rivalries. Stanford would be the oddball.

Cal, Washington and Oregon need to be next. That creates 20 conference teams and ability to form 4 5-team divisions with a pure play West Coast division for historical rivalries. Stanford would be the oddball.
Other than being a research juggernaut and a required rival for Notre Dame, sure, they are an oddball.

It makes sense for the B10 to wait for Notre Dame’s decision before extending more invitations. I’m guessing if Notre Dame is out, the B10 stands pat for now. If they are in, then Stanford is immediately officially invited. Then Washington and Oregon would most likely be next.

Nortre Dame and the entire West Coast media market sewed up would a huge summer of change.

Other than being a research juggernaut and a required rival for Notre Dame, sure, they are an oddball.

Adding Stanford would be great, but that 6th West Coast team would mess up the numbers geographically unless the conference explodes to 24. That said, there's no question in my mind that if more Pac12 teams go to the BG10, it will be Cal and/or Stanford for the Bay Area market. Cal makes sense from being a large public institution with high academics. Same with Washington.

Edit add: I'm too lazy to look it up, but Stanford probably produces more national exposure and more athletic department revenue than Cal. Plus, Stanford's Olympic sports are some of the best in the nation.... I'm convincing myself that Stanford should be a primary target.

Seems like pure speculation, seeing the B1G was able to keep this under wraps for so long. Now there's a leak?
Yeah, hard to say if this has any credibility. I've never heard of the Dennis Todd guy before. I'm sure there are lots of reporters snooping around now that they know something is up.

I take this to mean ND and Oregon are communicating the most about it. I have to imagine Washington is also wanting to join, but maybe not quite as eager? Feels weird to go to 18 and not just add another 2 and get to 20. ND, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford or Cal. There are definitely 4 teams that are worth it that have shown interest. Then when the ACC collapses, you poach another 4 teams.

I think Cal might be the oddball in this scenario. I don't think they care enough about sports to be proactive in this situation and they will have some serious issues with playing "red state" teams like Nebraska and Indiana.

Seems to me the ACC will blown up, as it exists now. Same as PAC12. Notre Dame hopefully picks the Big Ten over the SEC

Clemson and North Carolina jump in the Big Ten. Seems we will zoom past 20 to 24 teams. Oregon and Stanford are two more targets. I'd like to see Arizona State for the Phoenix market. Who gets Duke?

BIG TEN contract is going to $100 million per school next year. How good of a salesman do you have to be?

SEC and Big Ten are the only two football conferences that will matter. Some schools are gonna be left out.

Adding Stanford would be great, but that 6th West Coast team would mess up the numbers geographically unless the conference explodes to 24. That said, there's no question in my mind that if more Pac12 teams go to the BG10, it will be Cal and/or Stanford for the Bay Area market. Cal makes sense from being a large public institution with high academics. Same with Washington.

Edit add: I'm too lazy to look it up, but Stanford probably produces more national exposure and more athletic department revenue than Cal. Plus, Stanford's Olympic sports are some of the best in the nation.... I'm convincing myself that Stanford should be a primary target.
ND is the primary target, and they might actually land them. I didn't think it was possible, but wow!

Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford will be added. 4 divisions of 5 teams, play everyone in your division and 2 from every other division. 10 game conference schedule. Division winners compete in 4 team playoff for conference title. SEC will poach 4 from the ACC and do the same. Playoff expansion talk ends.
No. When the ACC gets divided, the Big Ten will be gobbling up a few of them. The SEC won't be grazing on the ACC while the Big Ten stands by.

The ACC is finished. I guarantee a few are talking to the Big Ten behind closed doors.

Nothing more will happen until Notre Dame moves. If they move now, it will necessitate more growth by the Big Ten. If Notre Dame waits, then nothing more may happen for a few more summers.

Top Bottom