Southfew over on Buckyville says...

The Badgers will have 8,000 fans at TCF.....:rolleyes:

I think that's pretty accurate. Don't they get 3K allotted to them? That leaves only 5K, and between letting Badger friends have/buy tickets, scalping, student ticket holders that are Badger fans 1st, I think it's pretty realistic. This less than 20%, which is a huge decrease from previous years, where I'd say it's been closer to 40%.

I'm not saying I like it, but until we build a stronger fan base that make it impossible for Badger fans to get tickets, we'll have to deal. Drowning out 8K fans shouldn't be a problem...all we have to do is win!

8,000 sounds about right. 10,000 wouldn't surprise me. A 3-0 start will help keep the number in 4 digits.

My wife is a badger, but I'm bigger (so my gold will outshine her red) and I'm way louder. However the best revenge is just giving her the smirk after we win and the incessant "First Down" chant that is a huge buzz kill for all opponents when they can't stop our running game. That drives her nuts. I love it!

Why do you continuously embarrass yourself and other Gopher fans on that website Ruppert? It just reeks of an inferiority complex. 8000 fans is about right.

I agree with Gold Vision. Shut up, Ruppert. Youre an embarrassment.

5 to 8 grand sounds about right. However, keeping 5,000 scattered red chunks quiet is a lot easier than the large chunks in the upper corners. You could make a credible argument that there were between 5,000 and 8,000 Gophers fans scattered around the Camp last fall.

It certainly beats the hell out of 17,000 red weasels in large hordes in the upper corners of the Dump.

I'd say closer to 5k... think of exactly how many Becky fans would want to purchase Gopher season tix for at least, what, $280 a seat? When I think about it in that respect, I feel like two thousand is a lot more likely than five thousand more than allotted to opposing fans... don't you think?

I understand that they would all try to sell the rest of the game tickets, but, especially at a time when people are prioritizing their money-spending more and more, how many Wisconsinites (as dumb as they are) will risk not being able to get rid of the rest of them?

Why do you continuously embarrass yourself and other Gopher fans on that website Ruppert? It just reeks of an inferiority complex. 8000 fans is about right.

+1

Rupie - Is your nephew going to behave himself this year and not deface the Christmas present you gave him?

89618813.jpg

Keep in mind the current state of the economy and the fact that the Vikes are playing the Packers the same weekend (Monday night I believe). The cheeseheads may not have enough cash in the bank to go to both games in such a short period of time. I agree with a previous poster that it will be around 5,000 in red (3,000 in visitors allotment and another couple thousand scattered about). There will be significant demand by Gopher fans considering its (1) the first Big 10 game at TCF, (2) its against a hated rival, and (3) the weather should be beautiful that early in the season

If I could bottle the #1 best fall weekend in Minnesota, it would be that weekend. The first week in October is almost always the best time of the fall... temps are warm but there is enough of a fall chill to make it sweatshirt weather, leaves are near peak, football is in the air, etc. etc. To think the first Big 10 game in TCF will be the Badgers and it will be at peak fall weather... how awesome will that be? No matter how many Wisconsin fans are there, it won't be anything like the putrid days of the metrodome.

I will never forget the last time we won the ax. I was all excited about the game and bought a Gopher football for my (then) 5 year old on the way out of the dome. We were walking along and I was holding his hand while he clutched his new football with the other. Just outside of the dome the football squirted out of his arm. Just as my son turned to pick up his football, the drunken (mid 30's) sconnie fan that had been walking behind him jumped forward and kicked the ball as hard as he could out into the street. His kick literally just missed my son’s hands as he was just about to pick up the ball. I barely had time to gasp because in a flash about 6 equally intoxicated Gopher fans (a bunch of people had seen it) had the guy up against a wall while three more good samaritans retrieved my son's ball. If I hadn't hated that half filled dome prior to that, I certainly have ever since. I'm sure the guy felt emboldened with 1/3 of the crowd running around in Wisconsin gear.

Gold Vision.....

First of all, I question your even a Gopher fan. If you are I would guess your one of those fans who sells his tickets to Bucky and Herky. So answer this|:
1. Where are your season tickets located?

First of all, I question your even a Gopher fan. If you are I would guess your one of those fans who sells his tickets to Bucky and Herky. So answer this|:
1. Where are your season tickets located?

Section 231, as it says below my screen name. I loath the Badgers and Hawkeyes, I just don't feel the need to be an attention whore on their message boards. Go ahead and troll on, that's the last time I'll comment on it...

I'll look for someone in section 231 seating on their hands. Do you have quiet time from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm in the evening?

If I could bottle the #1 best fall weekend in Minnesota, it would be that weekend. The first week in October is almost always the best time of the fall... temps are warm but there is enough of a fall chill to make it sweatshirt weather, leaves are near peak, football is in the air, etc. etc. To think the first Big 10 game in TCF will be the Badgers and it will be at peak fall weather... how awesome will that be? No matter how many Wisconsin fans are there, it won't be anything like the putrid days of the metrodome.

I will never forget the last time we won the ax. I was all excited about the game and bought a Gopher football for my (then) 5 year old on the way out of the dome. We were walking along and I was holding his hand while he clutched his new football with the other. Just outside of the dome the football squirted out of his arm. Just as my son turned to pick up his football, the drunken (mid 30's) sconnie fan that had been walking behind him jumped forward and kicked the ball as hard as he could out into the street. His kick literally just missed my son’s hands as he was just about to pick up the ball. I barely had time to gasp because in a flash about 6 equally intoxicated Gopher fans (a bunch of people had seen it) had the guy up against a wall while three more good samaritans retrieved my son's ball. If I hadn't hated that half filled dome prior to that, I certainly have ever since. I'm sure the guy felt emboldened with 1/3 of the crowd running around in Wisconsin gear.

That is brutal!!

There are way to many bad memories at the Dome vs Becky but even when we won it was still pretty sad. I remember in 2003 when we won the Ax and the players ran over to the student section to celebrate. By the time they ran around the field to the other fans on the opposite side of the field by our seats, 1/2 of the fans were gone. I couldn't help but feel for the players that they only had one section that they could celebrate with, it felt like an away game.

Best part is, this won't be happening again anytime soon. This place will be rocking pretty hard after every victory.

about right

We must have 5-6,000+ at Badger games and not many Gopher fans live in Madison but there are a TON of Badger fans living in the Twin Cities.

We must have 5-6,000+ at Badger games and not many Gopher fans live in Madison but there are a TON of Badger fans living in the Twin Cities.

Exactly, even with a sold out Williams Arena this year there was quite a bit of red walking around campus and finding there way into the stadium. It just made the win that much more enjoyable!

It's a rivalry, people will find a way to get tickets the same way I got into the Camp Randall student section last year wearing a bright gold jersey. The difference is they won't have 15,000 single game seats available. You're naive if you don't think ticket brokers and the casual fan will be making a premium on this game. As with most gopherholers, my group's 8 tickets are priceless.

What, no chairleg was handy?!?!

southfew, for the sake of Gopher I wish you would ban Ruppy from your board

No kidding. Ruppy is like a little kid who wants to taddle on his bigger siblings with each post on Buckyville. I'm embarrassed to be a Gopher fan with some of his idiotic ramblings.

I doubt Southfew would ban Ruppy however. He provides way too much fodder for their daily discussions.

What, no chairleg was handy?!?!

Minnesota's legislature banned chair legs after hearing this harrowing tale (I've only included one of the better excerpts).

ChinaGopher said:
I'm spending my Sunday fantasizing about hundreds upon hundreds of drunken Badger slob fans (is there any other kind?) flipping their cars and leaving their Red & White brains all over the freeways (their side of the border, of course). I may come away from that thought in a few days, but not yet!! My last thought on Badger fans are of the 2 other couples in the restaurant who were not with the perpetrators but made no effort to reign them in while there was still time. After I returned and was driving the leg of a chair into one of the eye sockets of one your victims a Badger bystander (the one who called the Cops on a cell phone) screamed at me "it's not fair what you're doing". Didn't have the time to deal with him but wish I could have. It'll be a long time before anybody involved forgets about this incident.

Didn't that incident happen at Gasthof's or some other German restaurant here in Minneapolis?

Between Gutter Helmet's mug theft from the Essen Haus and the chair leg fiasco, there must be something between Gophers, Badgers, and German restaurants.

No kidding. Ruppy is like a little kid who wants to taddle on his bigger siblings with each post on Buckyville. I'm embarrassed to be a Gopher fan with some of his idiotic ramblings.

I doubt Southfew would ban Ruppy however. He provides way too much fodder for their daily discussions.

A couple of Buckyville posters have asked to ban Ruppert and even Bronko. Most posters, however, recognize their baiting for what it is. I can't speak for Southfew, but I doubt he would ban either of these guys without them crossing the line and without a warning. Both of these posters, as well as sour, add to Buckyville, IMO.

Now Pantherhawk and whatever he calls himself these days is another story.......

Okay, so now you guys know how I (and probably many other Iowa fans) feel about pantherhawk and others of his ilk.

A couple of Buckyville posters have asked to ban Ruppert and even Bronko. Most posters, however, recognize their baiting for what it is. I can't speak for Southfew, but I doubt he would ban either of these guys without them crossing the line and without a warning. Both of these posters, as well as sour, add to Buckyville, IMO.

Now Pantherhawk and whatever he calls himself these days is another story.......

hey now! at least my attempts at badger baiting are semi-coherent........well sometimes! ;)

ruppie is definitely a passionate gopher fan thru and thru though, so he at least deserves a little credit for that.

Pantherhawk (or CretinisHawkeyeCountry or KinnickNation or whatever he is calling himself) is the most delusional internet d-bag I have ever encountered. Can we still get to his facebook to truly see what kind of loser he is? The guy has some serious mental issues.

Visiting fans from IA and WI will always be a presence at TCF for those games. This is just a product of the reality that the Minneapolis-St. Paul is a major draw for grads of those schools, not to mention their recent on-field successes. I predict 5-10k opposing fans depending on the year and the relative records of both schools. This should not be surprising. Take a look at stubhub or craigslist for any college football game at any stadium including Camp and Kinnick, there will always be ways to get tickets.

Minneapolis is convenient road trip for these opposing fans even before you consider that a large cadre of them are already here (or have free places to stay). Mpls is a a tailor-made destination and is far more convenient than say a Gopher fan heading out to Madison or Iowa City. This is the reality that we deal with and until homegrown demand for Gopher tix builds up it will persist.

The main issue I have is not the number of fans that show up, its the type of fan that shows up. After going to Gopher away games to IA and WI the past 5 years or so, I assure you that the vast majority of each fanbase is actually very sociable, knowledgeable, and usually quick to ingratiate Gopher fans at tailgates after the ritual offering of brats and grain alcohol. But, for some reason, the representation of each fanbase during the metrodome takeover years has been inexplicably atrocious. What I've experienced with the traveling portion of each fanbase is not a celebration of school pride--which is totally fine and makes college football awesome--but a overly antagonistic element that is very off-putting.

It's the old...

donkey and carrot routine. There are many over on buckyville.net that are so naive they can't see the trees before the forest that it is tit for tat. I don't use any foul language and have no malice toward anyone over there. The only one I really question over on the site is "Myles Long"
who seems to have some racial issues that came front and center when the Badgers got beat by the Gophers in hoops last winter. The post I made over there that caused a response over here was concerning TCF being sold out. I said that to get in they may have to surf craigs list..e-bay
etc. to get ducats or pay a premium price out front. I honestly believe that if the Gophers have only one loss going into the game you may see the tickets out front going at 100.00 or more for quality seats. So with that post they were all over me like a cheap suit and thus Southfew's comments about 8,000 Badger fans showing up. I disagree. Now we all know Gopherlady is a big Packer fan so I would expect her comment. I guarantee you if the Badger ticket office sends back
any tickets form the 3,000 allocated there will be no 8,000 Badger fans at TCF.

Visiting fans from IA and WI will always be a presence at TCF for those games. This is just a product of the reality that the Minneapolis-St. Paul is a major draw for grads of those schools, not to mention their recent on-field successes. I predict 5-10k opposing fans depending on the year and the relative records of both schools. This should not be surprising. Take a look at stubhub or craigslist for any college football game at any stadium including Camp and Kinnick, there will always be ways to get tickets.

Minneapolis is convenient road trip for these opposing fans even before you consider that a large cadre of them are already here (or have free places to stay). Mpls is a a tailor-made destination and is far more convenient than say a Gopher fan heading out to Madison or Iowa City. This is the reality that we deal with and until homegrown demand for Gopher tix builds up it will persist.

The main issue I have is not the number of fans that show up, its the type of fan that shows up. After going to Gopher away games to IA and WI the past 5 years or so, I assure you that the vast majority of each fanbase is actually very sociable, knowledgeable, and usually quick to ingratiate Gopher fans at tailgates after the ritual offering of brats and grain alcohol. But, for some reason, the representation of each fanbase during the metrodome takeover years has been inexplicably atrocious. What I've experienced with the traveling portion of each fanbase is not a celebration of school pride--which is totally fine and makes college football awesome--but a overly antagonistic element that is very off-putting.

Excellent post. Well put.

donkey and carrot routine. There are many over on buckyville.net that are so naive they can't see the trees before the forest that it is tit for tat. I don't use any foul language and have no malice toward anyone over there. The only one I really question over on the site is "Myles Long"
who seems to have some racial issues that came front and center when the Badgers got beat by the Gophers in hoops last winter. The post I made over there that caused a response over here was concerning TCF being sold out. I said that to get in they may have to surf craigs list..e-bay
etc. to get ducats or pay a premium price out front. I honestly believe that if the Gophers have only one loss going into the game you may see the tickets out front going at 100.00 or more for quality seats. So with that post they were all over me like a cheap suit and thus Southfew's comments about 8,000 Badger fans showing up. I disagree. Now we all know Gopherlady is a big Packer fan so I would expect her comment. I guarantee you if the Badger ticket office sends back
any tickets form the 3,000 allocated there will be no 8,000 Badger fans at TCF.

Considering the Badger ticket office has incredebly high interest in the tickets, and you had to have a rather large ammount of loyalty/donation points to get access to said tickets, I'm pretty sure there won't be any coming back.

We know you are a gopher fan, but your irrational view of reality is what gets you pegged as crazy. There will be plenty of badger fans there as always. At least 3000. Probably more in the 6-8000. The nice thing is that except for the visitors section they will not be in one or two huge blocks where it will look like they are talking up a huge chunk of the stadium. They will be dispersed all around, and hopefully any nosie they make should easily be dispersed by the various gopher fans sitting around them.

Yeah its gonna be a lot harder to get into TCF then it was the metrodome, but it ain't a fortress either, and there are a lot of people willing to pay a lot of money to get in. Do I think several of the badger fans over there are irrational as well, yes, but I'm sure at least half of them are saying things to piss you off, which obviously has worked...

Top Bottom