Southfew over on Buckyville says...

Ruppert, you'll be quite off on your prediction

I guarantee you if the Badger ticket office sends back
any tickets form the 3,000 allocated there will be no 8,000 Badger fans at TCF.

Ruppert, here is how tickets the Badger ticket office will return:

2000_98_1---Number-Zero_web.jpg

Considering the Badger ticket office has incredebly high interest in the tickets, and you had to have a rather large ammount of loyalty/donation points to get access to said tickets, I'm pretty sure there won't be any coming back.

We know you are a gopher fan, but your irrational view of reality is what gets you pegged as crazy. There will be plenty of badger fans there as always. At least 3000. Probably more in the 6-8000. The nice thing is that except for the visitors section they will not be in one or two huge blocks where it will look like they are talking up a huge chunk of the stadium. They will be dispersed all around, and hopefully any nosie they make should easily be dispersed by the various gopher fans sitting around them.

Yeah its gonna be a lot harder to get into TCF then it was the metrodome, but it ain't a fortress either, and there are a lot of people willing to pay a lot of money to get in. Do I think several of the badger fans over there are irrational as well, yes, but I'm sure at least half of them are saying things to piss you off, which obviously has worked...

They don't piss me off. and what you call irrational is really "baiting". I find it rather amazing how easy it is to hoodwink someone including yourself gopherguy. I suggest you watch the movie
Flim-Flam Man with George C. Scott maybe you'll pickup some tips when you know you're being jobbed.:)

What really sucks in this situation is that yes, 6-8,000 Badger fans will most likely be at the game. While that isn't a bad thing as some have pointed out due to the fact that they will be dispersed (beyond the 1x1,500 chunks of away allotments). What I find troubling is the fact that there may be many Badger fans that gobbled up waitlist tickets just to get in to that one game, and will either dump the rest (leaving vacancies that can't be filled), sell them at an inflated price to Gopher fans (who should have bought them in the first place), or show up in red to every game. To be honest, about 1500 seats were sold off the wait list, and it was pretty easy to jump on the tail end of it. Do I think all 1,500 are Badger fans? No, but it is likely many in the TC area that saw this as their only way in to the stadium may have done it. Especially if they thought demand would be high enough come game week for a $100+/seat ticket - which I agree with ruppert that it is fairly likely will happen.

I really don't mind having the occasional badger fan in our stadium, but it is annoying when they become arrogant about getting in and let us know the entire game.

They will be dispersed all around, and hopefully any nosie they make should easily be dispersed by the various gopher fans sitting around them.

It will be very interesting to see how the following affects crowd temprament:
- Shuffling of fans between the goal lines due to donations
- Turnover that some have speculated was mostly elderly fans not wanting to sit outside
- Net increase in non-student ticket holders
- Net increase in student season ticket holders

I think the first one means that the sections will be less homogeneous (there won't be as many big pockets of quiet octegenarians who don't stand up). The other three factors should make it louder. It will be a tough place to play for all, including IA and WI.

Norman Dale is more of a....

Be careful, Ruppert may seriously doubt you are a fan of the Gophers...

a big Gopher hoops fan than Gopher FB follower. You on the other hand with the amount of posts you have don't exactly create a walk down memory lane in regards to Gopher sports

I will have more people

to degrade, humiliate, pummel, and beat the crap out of. There will be plenty of drunken red scumbags laying around the perimeter of the bank. This could be fun. There is nothing better than putting becky in the place that they know they belong.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No way will there be 8,000

They get there 3,000 tickets. Do you really think 5,000 Minnesota Season Ticket Holders are going go give up their tickets the the FIRST Big Ten game in TCF Bank Stadium? It's not going to happen.

I just hope it's ONLY 8,000. I'd say that will be the minimum.

They get there 3,000 tickets. Do you really think 5,000 Minnesota Season Ticket Holders are going go give up their tickets the the FIRST Big Ten game in TCF Bank Stadium? It's not going to happen.

Yes. Better prepare yourself now b/c I think 8K fans is about right. I'm not as pessimistic as Bayfield, but I definitely think there are plenty of season ticket holders who won't pass up the chance to make good money on this one game.

Yes. Better prepare yourself now b/c I think 8K fans is about right. I'm not as pessimistic as Bayfield, but I definitely think there are plenty of season ticket holders who won't pass up the chance to make good money on this one game.

i don't know what the number will be one way or the other and don't really care to debate it. obviously, i hope it will be on the low end and i will give my fellow gopher football season ticket holders the benefit of the doubt and think it will be.

but i really only have one thing to say to my fellow gopher season ticket holders who publicly call themselves gopher football fans and are actually considering missing the MN/Becky game just to make a few quick bucks: YOU ARE LITTLE BITCHES! YES, YOU! PLEASE GIVE BACK YOUR SEASON TICKETS SO THAT THOSE WHO WOULD NOT BE SO SHAMEFUL AND PATHETIC MAY PURCHASE THEM IN YOUR PLACE!

rant over......

Woopty doo!!! There are around 20,000 Twins fans in Miller Park every time the Twins play the Brewers. Why is it news that Badger fans will be showing up at the Gophers' new stadium.

Woopty doo!!! There are around 20,000 Twins fans in Miller Park every time the Twins play the Brewers. Why is it news that Badger fans will be showing up at the Gophers' new stadium.

Apples to Oranges. Why? The Brewers don't sell out every game with season tickets so there is always plenty of room for visiting fans. Also, this is only 1 game out of 86 home games and its against an interleague opponent, not the only game of the season against a hated rival. A Twins/Brewers game doesn't register anywhere near Gophers/Badgers on the rivalry passion meter.

I don't think Badger fans showing up is any sort of a surprise or news. I think the reason folks get all fired up about it is that the Gophers finally have a true home field that is entirely sold out to season ticket holders and yet its quite possible that several thousand of those season ticket holders will make it possible to increase the amount of red in the stands.

Apples to Oranges. Why? The Brewers don't sell out every game with season tickets so there is always plenty of room for visiting fans. Also, this is only 1 game out of 86 home games and its against an interleague opponent, not the only game of the season against a hated rival. A Twins/Brewers game doesn't register anywhere near Gophers/Badgers on the rivalry passion meter.

I don't think Badger fans showing up is any sort of a surprise or news. I think the reason folks get all fired up about it is that the Gophers finally have a true home field that is entirely sold out to season ticket holders and yet its quite possible that several thousand of those season ticket holders will make it possible to increase the amount of red in the stands.

Well, Twins fans show up in droves for every match-up in Miller Park, so that says something. At the very least it discredits their argument that they are a better breed of fan or whatever it is they try to claim. If only 15% (~8,000) of the fans for that game at TCF are Badger fans then we've made great progress in gaining a home field advantage for every game.

Between the Wisconsin fans with season tix and the Iowa fans with tix that sell their tickets on Stub Hub or Craigslist, a 2000 number seems more reasonable for a total of 5000.

Well, Twins fans show up in droves for every match-up in Miller Park, so that says something. At the very least it discredits their argument that they are a better breed of fan or whatever it is they try to claim. If only 15% (~8,000) of the fans for that game at TCF are Badger fans then we've made great progress in gaining a home field advantage for every game.

I don't hear that argument tossed around in reference to the Brewers much. Packers/Badgers definitely, but not Bucks/Brewers.

I know this may be hard to believe, but a lot of the season tickets go to corporations and they don't give a you know what about Gophers football. Those tickets then get snapped up by Badgers fans that work around town. If you looked at Williams, half the Barn Loft's were red last fall. It is just the way it is. There are a lot of alumni in the area and they will get in the stadium.

I know this may be hard to believe, but a lot of the season tickets go to corporations and they don't give a you know what about Gophers football. Those tickets then get snapped up by Badgers fans that work around town. If you looked at Williams, half the Barn Loft's were red last fall. It is just the way it is. There are a lot of alumni in the area and they will get in the stadium.

crawl back into "your hole"! anyways, the decade of "easy" gopher football and basketball tickets for becky fans in this town is about to be over. it was fun while it lasted. don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out GV! ;)

shut it GV. the decade of "easy" gopher football and basketball tickets for becky fans in this town is about to be over. it was fun while it lasted. don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out! ;)

I wish that it had only been a decade, I remember when I was in college during the Wacker years and student tickets were $36 and that was buy one get one free and still no one would come to the games. I just hope that the Minnesota fans change and begin to actually show up consistently to support the team once the novelty of the stadium wears off. I just fear that far to many Minnesota fans are fair-weather by nature and not just in regards to the Gophers, however I hope I am proven wrong.

I wish that it had only been a decade, I remember when I was in college during the Wacker years and student tickets were $36 and that was buy one get one free and still no one would come to the games. I just hope that the Minnesota fans change and begin to actually show up consistently to support the team once the novelty of the stadium wears off. I just fear that far to many Minnesota fans are fair-weather by nature and not just in regards to the Gophers, however I hope I am proven wrong.

i have a good feeling you will be proven wrong. deep down i think many gopher football fans just wanted a high-quality, legit, on-campus place that they could once again call their own. for example look at how people respond to the minnesota wild. other than a 2003 conference finals appearance they really haven't done too much. yet, they have sold out every game in their existence. why? for many it has to do with the high-quality facility that is the Xcel Energy Center.

now that gopher football fans have their own palace as well i see them getting nuts and being just as committed to showing up for games week after week. have faith! ;)

There is nothing better than going back to one's alma mater to catch a football game in the fall. The move to the Meat-ro-dome created a condition where it all, 100%, had to be about football. Nobody was walking down memory lane as they looked at velcro'd Bruce Smith banners and blue seats under a ceiling that made it impossible to even tell what time of day it was. It wasn't any better for students. They tended to leave really early because they didn't want to fight over shuttle busses back to campus. Throw in a little (lot, actually) bad football and you can see why the tickets were almost a give away.

It will be very interesting to see how TCF will change these things. Suddenly alumni will be able to park and walk across campus (not to mention view it from the stands), breathing in that fall air and passing by places where they met their wives, had class, etc. etc. Plus, I hope students realize they can sit for the ENTIRE game because there is no shuttle bus to catch. Plenty of time for bar hopping and house parties later. It can only get better as everyone gets used to the new stadium and its location.

I didn't even mention a word about the team being good. What a huge bonus that would be. The subset of fair weather Minnesota fans that bounce around between the Vikings/T-wolves/Gophers/Twins/Wild/Swarm/Muskies/Saints/Kicks/Thunder/Monarchs/Lynx/North Stars/Millers/Moose/Lakers/Eskimos/etc. would also take notice and drive up demand.

More anecdotal evidence you will still see plenty of red/white and black/gold despite the move to TCF:

I was at my kid’s little league team party last night and one of the other parents (Wisconsin grad) was talking about how they discovered their neighbors were both Iowa grads so the two families went in on Gopher season tickets so they could always be assured of seeing “their” teams at TCF. They are just going to sell or give away the rest of the season to friends or craig’s list each year.

It is just the downside of having the U located in a big metro hub partially populated by LOTS of Wisconsin and Iowa grads. The good news is at least the BIG numbers of ticket office sales to opposing teams will now be at an end but the season ticket holding base will still be responsible for fair numbers of Iowonsin fans for years to come.

More anecdotal evidence you will still see plenty of red/white and black/gold despite the move to TCF:

I was at my kid’s little league team party last night and one of the other parents (Wisconsin grad) was talking about how they discovered their neighbors were both Iowa grads so the two families went in on Gopher season tickets so they could always be assured of seeing “their” teams at TCF. They are just going to sell or give away the rest of the season to friends or craig’s list each year.

It is just the downside of having the U located in a big metro hub partially populated by LOTS of Wisconsin and Iowa grads. The good news is at least the BIG numbers of ticket office sales to opposing teams will now be at an end but the season ticket holding base will still be responsible for fair numbers of Iowonsin fans for years to come.

so i assume you then told that becky grad jack-ass that his red-headed step-child of a kid couldn't play on your kid's team anymore?!?!

seriously......did you? i hope you had some self-respect and did. ;)

It hurt to hear that, no doubt. It just didn't... quite... hurt... that... much. :D

The predictions of thousands and thousands of Wisconsin, Iowa etc. fans at TCF has been going on fro a long time, and the trolls back then are still trolls now. A number of them have "Gopher" somewhere in their moniker!

Top Bottom