Souhan: The wait for Evans and Christie could feel long as a Minnesota winter, but Johnson should be viewed similarly. He was hired to recruit.

A kid from my son’s high school went off for 12-14 from 3 for 36 points against Rolling Meadows last night. Reports are Cam was guarding him most of the game, so it looks like he’ll fit in with the current defensive identity of the Gophers.
You are probably not even making that up. On the bright side our freshman will have experience next year and will not tolerate anything but 5 star defense from Mr Christie. :) Heaven forbid we recruit the shooter.

I'm hoping for the Clem Haskins model. 2-16 and 4-14 in conference play...

Maybe this developmental model won't work.

But this developmental model is our only choice now. And so far, it looks to be on track...

If this development model, as you showed above, is to absolutely suck ass in the first two years, it's safe to say that Ben is knocking it out of the park. We'll see if it continues to follow that "developmental model" in years 3 and 4.

200.gif

Wow…there was not a defender within 6 feet of the shooter on every shot but one. And he shoots from his waist. That’s pretty amazing coaching on the bad side. 7 threes in a game is a record in a bunch of places. Some guy makes 12 and you still don’t pay attention to him?

If this development model, as you showed above, is to absolutely suck ass in the first two years, it's safe to say that Ben is knocking it out of the park. We'll see if it continues to follow that "developmental model" in years 3 and 4.
What many of you don't understand is...this is college basketball. 4-year-cycles of players. They usually start out bad, and then they become better. And you usually don't get a full team in 1 class of recruits. It takes 2.

Once you understand these basics...you will be better at knowing what type of progress to look for.

What many of you don't understand is...this is college basketball. 4-year-cycles of players. They usually start out bad, and then they become better. And you usually don't get a full team in 1 class of recruits. It takes 2.

Once you understand these basics...you will be better at knowing what type of progress to look for.
I would agree with that definition of college basketball pre-transfer portal when you had kids essentially locked in. Now though, it’s the Wild West and teams are put together on the fly (many examples of successful teams in years 1 & 2). Plus, as a massive generalization, kids today want immediate playing time and don’t want to work / wait for it…so they will leave.

A kid from my son’s high school went off for 12-14 from 3 for 36 points against Rolling Meadows last night. Reports are Cam was guarding him most of the game, so it looks like he’ll fit in with the current defensive identity of the Gophers.
after watching the highlights who ever reported that Cam was guarding that guy most of the game are completely wrong.

I would agree with that definition of college basketball pre-transfer portal when you had kids essentially locked in. Now though, it’s the Wild West and teams are put together on the fly (many examples of successful teams in years 1 & 2). Plus, as a massive generalization, kids today want immediate playing time and don’t want to work / wait for it…so they will leave.
The fact that we have 4 freshmen getting a lot of playing-time, and we have very good recruits coming next year....makes me want to build from the ground up.

The time to bring in a good upperclassman transfer will be in 2 years. Not now!!

The fact that we have 4 freshmen getting a lot of playing-time, and we have very good recruits coming next year....makes me want to build from the ground up.

The time to bring in a good upperclassman transfer will be in 2 years. Not now!!
In 2 years we will be 2 years away!!

You should really consider firing up your own website. Why would you keep all of this valuable information to yourself? You're like some incredible basketball savant, our own little Yoda, dropping wisdom left and right.

There's so much more you could be doing with all this knowledge, you're selling yourself short

I say we wait until 2026

You should really consider firing up your own website. Why would you keep all of this valuable information to yourself? You're like some incredible basketball savant, our own little Yoda, dropping wisdom left and right.

There's so much more you could be doing with all this knowledge, you're selling yourself short
Yeah it gets tricky.

For instance:

Building from the ground up with freshmen conflicts with building from the top down with transfers.

To have a contending team, we need to line-up 5 very good starters at the same time. Same year.

That's what I'm trying to focus on for a goal.

Huh? Good, experienced transfers need not apply!

Are we in tank mode, trying to get a higher draft pick?

Huh? Good, experienced transfers need not apply!

Are we in tank mode, trying to get a higher draft pick?
No, we're not tanking for a higher draft pick. See my post right above yours. I'm explaining how college basketball works.

To quote:

Building from the ground up with freshmen conflicts with building from the top down with transfers.

No, we're not tanking for a higher draft pick. See my post right above yours. I'm explaining how college basketball works.

To quote:

I understand what you are saying. In fact, in the "say something positive" thread, I also commented on my desire to lose with youth that could grow into something as opposed to losing with lower division/caliber fifth year players. I like the approach this year much better than last year. During the Pitino years, we often talked about "balancing the classes" and "roster construction." It was widely viewed as one of his weaknesses during his tenure.

But all that being said.....a balanced roster is always a knee injury or two away and/or at the whims of one or two kids wanting to transfer away from being a roster with a number of holes in it. We just aren't in a position to be selective on the types of players we assemble (MN vs non-MN, freshman vs transfers). If good, seasoned transfers want to join this team, you have to take them. Spring recruiting/portal are here to stay. Recruiting your own players back will be a new challenge.

I understand what you are saying. In fact, in the "say something positive" thread, I also commented on my desire to lose with youth that could grow into something as opposed to losing with lower division/caliber fifth year players. I like the approach this year much better than last year. During the Pitino years, we often talked about "balancing the classes" and "roster construction." It was widely viewed as one of his weaknesses during his tenure.

But all that being said.....a balanced roster is always a knee injury or two away and/or at the whims of one or two kids wanting to transfer away from being a roster with a number of holes in it. We just aren't in a position to be selective on the types of players we assemble (MN vs non-MN, freshman vs transfers). If good, seasoned transfers want to join this team, you have to take them. Spring recruiting/portal are here to stay. Recruiting your own players back will be a new challenge.
I know...during Pitino, I remember a lot of the 'balancing the classes' talk. I hate that approach. I want to wait & plan...gear-up for having a team with 5 excellent starters. I hate rotating them in & out and always being a player or 2 short of having a great team.

Top Bottom