Souhan: The wait for Evans and Christie could feel long as a Minnesota winter, but Johnson should be viewed similarly. He was hired to recruit.

My guess is that Battle will be gone for sure. And I don't blame him. People will be calling about Payne also. He looks legit.
I mean next year's roster should look fun on paper again. We'll be short on guards and heavy on wings with a ton of length. Would imagine Battle sticks around and hopefully decides he wants to be the alpha the team will need (the freshman and sophomore guys will have ups and downs/growing pains, need someone to be consistent who has been there).

Evans is not going to be a savior next season. Yes, he is highly rated. That rating is all on potential. He was recruited by 7 schools. No Duke, Kentucky, Arkansas, Purdue etc Florida State would be the first school I'd think of for his game and they did recruit him. Kansas did but then it is San Diego St and the like.
He is not going to score and that is where we are weakest. He can intimidate people in the lane defensively and block shots. If we had a style of play on either end it'd be easier to project.
He and Payne can possibly be a high low tandem but probably don't fit together on the court at the same time...Payne can't shoot either.. I think you need shooters to pair with him and we don't have those. He is going to get out muscled a lot. Doesn't appear he is going to have a strong base but instead solely rely on length. The competition level in the video is miles below the Big Ten.
Evans video highlights this summer

So, we are banking on Christie being a high NBA draft pick in a year or two if these two guys are going to change our fortunes overnight.

Evans is a piece, a project...not the polished savior any time soon.

Evans is not going to be a savior next season. Yes, he is highly rated. That rating is all on potential. He was recruited by 7 schools. No Duke, Kentucky, Arkansas, Purdue etc Florida State would be the first school I'd think of for his game and they did recruit him. Kansas did but then it is San Diego St and the like.
He is not going to score and that is where we are weakest. He can intimidate people in the lane defensively and block shots. If we had a style of play on either end it'd be easier to project.
He and Payne can possibly be a high low tandem but probably don't fit together on the court at the same time...Payne can't shoot either.. I think you need shooters to pair with him and we don't have those. He is going to get out muscled a lot. Doesn't appear he is going to have a strong base but instead solely rely on length. The competition level in the video is miles below the Big Ten.

So, we are banking on Christie being a high NBA draft pick in a year or two if these two guys are going to change our fortunes overnight.

have you watched us play defense this year???

Exactly. Ben Johnson is bringing in a level of talent that we haven't seen in a very long time. People who complain about talent in years prior are now clamoring to blow it up before we even get our first 5* player in two decades on the court.

Pull yourselves together.

Talent? I'm not expecting miracles from freshmen recruits, but these are kids who have been playing basketball their whole lives and they can't even come close to making a wide open jump shot or a free throw? These are recruits who apparently forgot how to block out for rebounding, forgot how to dribble or pass the ball. Young team or not, these players should be able to perform basic basketball skills.

Talent? I'm not expecting miracles from freshmen recruits, but these are kids who have been playing basketball their whole lives and they can't even come close to making a wide open jump shot or a free throw? These are recruits who apparently forgot how to block out for rebounding, forgot how to dribble or pass the ball. Young team or not, these players should be able to perform basic basketball skills.
We also have the scholarships, who stopped Ben from adding decent veterans to this group?

I just learned from known college basketball expert Jim Souhan that Ben was hired to recruit. So why didn't he recruit better?

have you watched us play defense this year???
Well, I can't argue....our defense is horrible but I believe defense is an easier fix than offense.
Until we fix the offense we are a bottom dweller. Tell me you see our idenitity transforming to Virginia, Texas Tech or Houston or whoever you like on defense with the Evans edition. Rudy G
is 100X Dennis Evans and the TWolves are 500 team. I don't see us vaulting up the ladder because he is a rim protector....a lot of rim protector teams run , we don't . Need different guards to do so.

We had a starting guard spot to promise a transfer and we couldn’t get one That’s what troubles me.
Worried me too. The conclusion I drew from it was that he had promised Carrington and/or Henley big minutes and couldn't break that promise. Doesn't seem to be working out vey well so far.

Worried me too. The conclusion I drew from it was that he had promised Carrington and/or Henley big minutes and couldn't break that promise. Doesn't seem to be working out vey well so far.
Minutes should never be promised. If he’s doing that (I doubt it ) it’s bad form and dishonest. Opportunity is one thing and there is plenty. But guaranteeing anyone minutes without proving it on the court is a fools game.

Tubby never brought in a player as highly touted as Evans. And along with the Christie and the four that are currently getting a lot of experience? Absolutely on par with Tubby's best two recruiting classes of 2008/2009.
Ralph Sampson and Devoe Joseph had much more recruiting interest and competition than BJ had for Evans. Both ranked in the 50-60 range but with much more interest from top programs.

"Perform basic basketball skills"? Didn't realize Bob Cousy was posting on the board. This post makes me think that you'd probably break a hip simply trying to get onto the elevated court.

Ralph Sampson and Devoe Joseph had much more recruiting interest and competition than BJ had for Evans. Both ranked in the 50-60 range but with much more interest from top programs.

Evans is a five star recruit. I couldn't tell you exactly how his recruitment went....but with Kansas in on him.....my guess is that he had more interest than what shows up under his offer list.

Well, I can't argue....our defense is horrible but I believe defense is an easier fix than offense.
Until we fix the offense we are a bottom dweller. Tell me you see our idenitity transforming to Virginia, Texas Tech or Houston or whoever you like on defense with the Evans edition. Rudy G
is 100X Dennis Evans and the TWolves are 500 team. I don't see us vaulting up the ladder because he is a rim protector....a lot of rim protector teams run , we don't . Need different guards to do so.
it's hard to know the level of impact. if you have no rim protector, you may sag slightly more on players to prevent easy cuts. now they're cutting into a 7 footer. maybe they now press on guys and try deny the ball. maybe they play the defense with effort like Ben promised they would. That's at least what i'd hope, though certainly to this point it doesn't seem like thats in the cards. That's the part that worries me much more is that what you're describing is effort related, and we aren't even doing that. so if the effort isn't there, it doesn't matter who he brings in

I don't disagree but I think it's possible that the team would be better without him
I’m not to that point. Too early for me to say that. But no question, if the Gophers have any chance at being competitive later this season, it will require consistent excellence from Battle & Garcia + Cooper.

Can't forget also adding Betts to the rotation next year after the redshirt season!
And who knows, maybe even Ihnen and/or Fox can provide something?

Evans is #13 on Rivals. I guarantee that Duke, Purdue, and the schools you listed had interest...but it wasn't reciprocated.

No, I don't think he's a savior for next year either. I'm sure you & many here will be very critical of him & Coach Johnson when we don't win early next year. But the realistic plan is to win big the-year-after-next...when all these guys are juniors & sophomores.

We also have the scholarships, who stopped Ben from adding decent veterans to this group?

I just learned from known college basketball expert Jim Souhan that Ben was hired to recruit. So why didn't he recruit better?
Better than 5-stars?? I know you love Winter, Robison, and Wisconsin. But I don't want to pattern myself after them. I'll go with our freshmen and Evans, Christie, & Betts.

I like giving minutes to 4 freshmen with potential to build for the future. Especially when we have 3 good recruits in the next class coming in.

I like giving minutes to 4 freshmen with potential to build for the future. Especially when we have 3 good recruits in the next class coming in.
And Ihnen and Fox back healthy, bigger, and stronger.

Better than 5-stars?? I know you love Winter, Robison, and Wisconsin. But I don't want to pattern myself after them. I'll go with our freshmen and Evans, Christie, & Betts.
I don't give a sh!t that we didn't land Winter or Robison.

The recruits he needed to land just had to be better than Samuels, Ogele, Ramberg and an empty chair.

Another killer take!

I don't give a sh!t that we didn't land Winter or Robison.

The recruits he needed to land just had to be better than Samuels, Ogele, Ramberg and an empty chair.

Another killer take!
I could have sworn you were touting Nolan Winter. And saying it's devastating to lose a legacy recruit of an NBA player like Trevor Winter.

Coach Johnson seems to be doing well in recruiting high school kids. Building from the ground up. This can conflict (playing time) with your hope of winning instantly with upperclassmen transfers.

You should be more clear with saying this. Saying Ben isn't recruiting well is inaccurate.

I could have sworn you were touting Nolan Winter. And saying it's devastating to lose a legacy recruit of an NBA player like Trevor Winter.

Coach Johnson seems to be doing well in recruiting high school kids. Building from the ground up. This can conflict (playing time) with your hope of winning instantly with upperclassmen transfers.

You should be more clear with saying this. Saying Ben isn't recruiting well is inaccurate.
Yeah, well, again, you're confused. Even though you did remember that I said Trevor Winter played in the NBA which seemed to send you into a hissy fit.

Here is my exact quote in the last thread you tried to take this horrific stance:
I don't give a sh!t about losing Robinson. I would have liked to have gotten Winter, but I'd prefer Betts and they are similar. I care more about losing Tre Holloman or Eli King than either of them. I'm ecstatic about Evans, Christie, Payne, and I think Carrington will be better than most people do. . .

I couldn't be any clearer, yet it was lost on you. Again. So blame your parents for being dumb or your mom for drinking, the English language doesn't allow me to be any more precise so nitwits like you can avoid confusion.

As to Ben's recruiting, he has recruited some good players. You responded to my post about how Ben should have used all his scholarships and added veterans this year. Again, your confusion on that topic is again due to your biological deficiencies.

If Ben is a good recruiter, we will have a good team next year. You have to look at it holistically (look it up). If we don't have the talent to compete in year 3, he didn't acquire enough talent.

Yeah, well, again, you're confused. Even though you did remember that I said Trevor Winter played in the NBA which seemed to send you into a hissy fit.

Here is my exact quote in the last thread you tried to take this horrific stance:
I don't give a sh!t about losing Robinson. I would have liked to have gotten Winter, but I'd prefer Betts and they are similar. I care more about losing Tre Holloman or Eli King than either of them. I'm ecstatic about Evans, Christie, Payne, and I think Carrington will be better than most people do. . .

I couldn't be any clearer, yet it was lost on you. Again. So blame your parents for being dumb or your mom for drinking, the English language doesn't allow me to be any more precise so nitwits like you can avoid confusion.

As to Ben's recruiting, he has recruited some good players. You responded to my post about how Ben should have used all his scholarships and added veterans this year. Again, your confusion on that topic is again due to your biological deficiencies.

If Ben is a good recruiter, we will have a good team next year. You have to look at it holistically (look it up). If we don't have the talent to compete in year 3, he didn't acquire enough talent.
Ok.

But your hope of bringing in upperclassmen transfers doesn't necessarily mesh too well with getting experience to our talented underclassmen.

And I still say that next year is too early to expect big winning. Our 5-star will be in his first year. If they show progress, can't you wait until they're juniors & sophomores??

Doesn t matter if we lose 33 straight big ten regular season games. As long as kids are learning how to play basketball together.

Doesn t matter if we lose 33 straight big ten regular season games. As long as kids are learning how to play basketball together.
Been told by multiple posters now to just check out until 2024-25 if I want good basketball. Even recommended other teams to watch in the interim. Almost like we're not on a GOPHER basketball message board. They've assured me though it will be worth the wait. Nothing to worry about, just grab a drink and trust the process. What could go wrong?

Been told by multiple posters now to just check out until 2024-25 if I want good basketball. Even recommended other teams to watch in the interim. Almost like we're not on a GOPHER basketball message board. They've assured me though it will be worth the wait. Nothing to worry about, just grab a drink and trust the process. What could go wrong?
My heart pumps camel water for you. ❤️🐪💦

I don't care how many forwards and centers we have with potential, basketball is won with guards! Quick and fast with good handles, tenacity, smarts, and shooting. Cooper is savvy and I'm happy we have him. But we will not be an upper big ten team without some really quick guards especially on defense.

Give me Al Nolan, Andre Hollins, Westbrook, Dre most of the top teams have multiple guards with these skills.

We try and play long and slow 6-6/6-7 guys at the 2 when the rest of the world is playing small and quick!. Watch I'll, mich st, penn st, Ohio st, mich, Ind.

Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin wins without too many of these guards, but there is much less room for error. It takes precision fundamentals, high IQ, and experience.

Top Bottom