Souhan: Gophers' situation calls for bold step

On the basis of what? One Tournament win in 23 years? Zero conference championships in 31 years?

Gopher fans want to pretend that the basketball team is so much better than the football team, when it has no basis in reality. The Gopher football team was once elite, and the Gopher basketball team has never been. At present, neither are even close to contending. If you want to re-hire Glen Mason, there is no way to simultaneously think that firing Tubby Smith was a good idea. Both are the best coach their respective teams had in decades. The difference is that Smith's best season at Minnesota was his last, while Mason's was 3 years before he got fired, which is not coincidentally the same time that he gave up and quit recruiting.
Just like you like to pretend 97 never happened, how's the view from your high horse?

Just like you like to pretend 97 never happened, how's the view from your high horse?

No, it didn't happen, at least not legitimately. If neither endorsing nor condoning cheating is being on my high horse, I've got my spurs ready to go.

Why not bring back Jeff Horton? Easily our best coach on a per-game basis since Holtz. (Somewhat sadly, Horton is, by a wide margin, my favorite Gopher coach of my lifetime.)

On the basis of what? One Tournament win in 23 years? Zero conference championships in 31 years?

Gopher fans want to pretend that the basketball team is so much better than the football team, when it has no basis in reality. The Gopher football team was once elite, and the Gopher basketball team has never been. At present, neither are even close to contending. If you want to re-hire Glen Mason, there is no way to simultaneously think that firing Tubby Smith was a good idea. Both are the best coach their respective teams had in decades. The difference is that Smith's best season at Minnesota was his last, while Mason's was 3 years before he got fired, which is not coincidentally the same time that he gave up and quit recruiting.

Glen's 2007 class before he was fired included J. J. Watt and two time All American Greg Jones. I think he was still spending some time recruiting.

Glen's 2007 class before he was fired included J. J. Watt and two time All American Greg Jones. I think he was still spending some time recruiting.

Shhh.....that doesn't fit the narrative that he quit, became lazy, was depressed.

Nah. Neither was anything to write home about as a prospect. They're perfectly indicative of the type of recruit a Minnesota coach can get without much effort. Watt went to Central Michigan, of all places, and Jones flipping to MSU could've very well happened whether Mason was here or not, as he had a late offer and a late official visit from their brand new coaching staff. That they both ended up being studs is indicative that Mason always had a good eye for talent (which is undoubtedly true), not that he tried in recruiting. Hell, both went on their official visits in December, which was Mason's M.O. post-2004, because simultaneously coaching and recruiting would've required work.

[ Quote Originally Posted by EE_Gopher

Quote Originally Posted byMaximus;]

Shhh.....that doesn't fit the narrative that he quit, became lazy, was depressed.[/QUOTE]

Gopher's starting line-up against Michigan in 2007

Pos ## Offense

WR 1 Wheelwright, E. - Senior
WR 7 Decker, Eric - Sophmore
LT 64 Shidell, Steve - Senior
LG 52 Tow-Arnett,Jeff - Sophmore
C 77 Brinkhaus, Tony - Senior
LG 53 Burris, D.J. - RS Freshman
RT 76 Alford, Dominic - RS Freshman
WR 81 Spry, Ralph - True Freshman
WR 6 Herndon, Tray - True Freshman
QB 8 Weber, Adam - RS Freshman
RB 22 Bennett, Duane - True Freshman

Pos ## Defense

LE Henderson, Ray - Sophmore
LT Allen, Neel - Senior
RT Meisel, Todd - Senior
RE Campbell, Lee - Sophmore
SLB Davis, Steve - Junior
MLB Hightower, Deon - Junior
WLB Mannion, Kevin - Junior
CB Theret, Kyle - True Freshman
FS Thomas, Curtis - True Freshman
SS Barber, Dom - Senior
CB Collado, Ryan - True Freshman

I don't see Mason leaving BTN to become the interim coach of the Gophers, and if he did, Souhan would still be taking shots at the Gophers.

We really need to learn how to bury the dead on this board. I blame Kelly Leeks for fake dying and now, nothing dies, ever. Glen Mason, Tim Brewster, Lou Holtz, John Gutekunst and so on...all live on like freaking parasites attached to our nut sacks draining the future out of our bodies.

Please, bury these guys and move on. And throw Souhan in the funeral pire.

Pre-2004 Glen Mason was a good coach. Pre-2004 Glen Mason could've stayed employed at the University of Minnesota for a long time and most of the fans would've been happy with him. He had his flaws, for sure, but he cared, tried hard, represented the University well, and wanted to be here. Post-2004 Glen Mason gave up on himself and by extension his employer. He quit putting forth anything resembling maximum effort in recruiting, and the results slid along with the talent. If he would've given his all to show OSU what they missed out on rather than pouting and giving up, I have little doubt he'd still be employed here today and probably until he retired.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Nailed it!

Nah. Neither was anything to write home about as a prospect. They're perfectly indicative of the type of recruit a Minnesota coach can get without much effort. Watt went to Central Michigan, of all places, and Jones flipping to MSU could've very well happened whether Mason was here or not, as he had a late offer and a late official visit from their brand new coaching staff. That they both ended up being studs is indicative that Mason always had a good eye for talent (which is undoubtedly true), not that he tried in recruiting. Hell, both went on their official visits in December, which was Mason's M.O. post-2004, because simultaneously coaching and recruiting would've required work.

Yep, Mason was recruiting Watt and Jones. Watt was going to be a tight end and Jones was going to be a running back. Something tells me they don't quite have the college careers they had playing TE and RB.

Its just a shame That McFields kid never worked out. Wonder what happened to him....

Comparing Mason to Snyder is an insult to Snyder. Bill Snyder turned Kansas State into a legitimate Big 12 threat and put out Top 10 teams while Mason did none of this. Kansas State knew what they were getting in Snyder. We know what we would get out of Mason and it's respectable but no where near what Snyder had/has done. Also, Snyder retired a legend, even having the field named after him while Mason was fired for another one of his trademark choke jobs. Has there ever been a coach in college football who was fired and then hired back?

Well, to be fair..if we're going to compare apples to apples, at least Mason BEAT NDSU the one time he played them...

Yeah, technically Mason did win his match up but I still consider that one a loss. It still doesn't change anything.

Yeah, I had to pull out the 'ol edit machine on that one...that 10-9 "win" felt like such a loss at the time and the beatdown they put on us the following year under Brewster really clouds the 'ol memory...and I'm originally from Fargo with PLENTY of friends and family to remind me constantly.

Yeah, I had to pull out the 'ol edit machine on that one...that 10-9 "win" felt like such a loss at the time and the beatdown they put on us the following year under Brewster really clouds the 'ol memory...and I'm originally from Fargo with PLENTY of cocky NDSU fans and family to remind me constantly.

FIFY.

Gopher's starting line-up against Michigan in 2007

Pos ## Offense

WR 1 Wheelwright, E. - Senior
WR 7 Decker, Eric - Sophmore
LT 64 Shidell, Steve - Senior
LG 52 Tow-Arnett,Jeff - Sophmore
C 77 Brinkhaus, Tony - Senior
LG 53 Burris, D.J. - RS Freshman
RT 76 Alford, Dominic - RS Freshman
WR 81 Spry, Ralph - True Freshman
WR 6 Herndon, Tray - True Freshman
QB 8 Weber, Adam - RS Freshman
RB 22 Bennett, Duane - True Freshman

Pos ## Defense

LE Henderson, Ray - Sophmore
LT Allen, Neel - Senior
RT Meisel, Todd - Senior
RE Campbell, Lee - Sophmore
SLB Davis, Steve - Junior
MLB Hightower, Deon - Junior
WLB Mannion, Kevin - Junior
CB Theret, Kyle - True Freshman
FS Thomas, Curtis - True Freshman
SS Barber, Dom - Senior
CB Collado, Ryan - True Freshman

Why'd you pick the Michigan game? Where's Desi Steib (Sr.) and Jamal Harris (Sr.) in the secondary? They started the Big Ten opener that year and started at Ohio State. They had four interceptions in 2007 between them. Add in Duran Cooley who started some in 2007 and started in the bowl game in 2006 and you're left with four seniors (with Barber) in the secondary.

The Michigan game has four starting wide receivers listed...did Mason typically start four wide receivers? Wouldn't junior tight end and future Jets training camp invitee Jack Simmons be starting under Mason in 2007?

Where's sophomore Ryan Ruckdashel? He started at right guard in the Big Ten opener and at Ohio State. Where's junior Matt DeGeest...he started the Big Ten opener at right tackle. He also started the bowl game the season before.

Where are juniors Dom Jones and Alex Daniels and sophomore Keith Massey?

Why'd you pick the Michigan game? Where's Desi Steib (Sr.) and Jamal Harris (Sr.) in the secondary? They started the Big Ten opener that year. They had four interceptions in 2007 between them. Add in Duran Cooley who started the previous year in the bowl game and you're left with four seniors (with Barber) in the secondary.

The point is that all but Barber were replaced by freshmen. That ain't good. Jamal Harris was the so laughably bad. If it isn't sliding on his stomach trying to defend Mario Manningham as he walked into the endzone, it's the inexplicable punt return in which he fumbled away a sure touchdown.

Yeah, I had to pull out the 'ol edit machine on that one...that 10-9 "win" felt like such a loss at the time and the beatdown they put on us the following year under Brewster really clouds the 'ol memory...and I'm originally from Fargo with PLENTY of cocky NDSU fans and family to remind me constantly..
FIFY.

You know, they really are the worst. I was born and raised a Bison fan in Fargo when they were a Division II powerhouse and the fans then were already pretty bad. Throw a long-time inferiority complex with recent success nationally both at the FBS and FCS levels, and you've got a mushroom cloud of cockiness. It's what happens when you're the only game in town? The only thing they've got going for them I guess is that for the past 4 years, they have backed it up on the field, FWIW...

I don't see Mason leaving BTN to become the interim coach of the Gophers, and if he did, Souhan would still be taking shots at the Gophers.

What is this Mason interim coach bit? Do people think a school would bring in an outside person to be an interim coach? The interim coach is already in place until Kill returns or until the finish of the season. At the end of the season either Kill will return or there will be a new HC.

For the record Souhan thinks neither Teague or Kaler are capable of hiring a football coach.

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDubbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy says Teague is riding Kill as long as he can because he is totally afraid of having to hire a new coach.

Zulgad said it sounds like Kill is controlling this show and the U 'should get their hands on this'.....and show they are in charge.

These guys are a real bunch of dolts today.

Glen Mason. OMG. Do we have to get into this again? Somebody post the list. I'll get it started:

Texas Tech - bowl game
Purdue - 19 seconds left
Wisconsin - dropped punt
Indiana - 56(?) points
Michigan - Friday night
Big ten win-loss record
2013 non-conference schedule every year

to piggy-back on the old-girlfriend analogy, your remembering the 35% of the time that was good and romanticizing it, and forgetting the other 65% of the time that was miserable.

Ohio 23-17
Blew 35-14 lead against NW
Blew 24-0 lead in bowl game against NC State

Toledo 38-7

Led NW 45-21 and only won by 3

MSU 51-17

Blew 14 point lead in bowl game to Virginia

42, 40, 52 (Points given up in last 3 visits to Iowa)
41, 49, 38, 48 (Points given up in last 4 vists to Sconnie)

The point is that all but Barber were replaced by freshmen. That ain't good. Jamal Harris was the so laughably bad. If it isn't sliding on his stomach trying to defend Mario Manningham as he walked into the endzone, it's the inexplicable punt return in which he fumbled away a sure touchdown.

So you're saying it's a shame Dominic Jones and Keith Massey weren't in the secondary?

Steib, Cooley, DeGeest, Ruckdashel, Dom Jones, Daniels, Massey, Simmons? The redshirt freshmen were recruited by Mason. In the Michigan game, two seniors started on the offensive line? Wouldn't that be fun to have today?

How, in any possible way, could hiring back a coach that was fired be considered a "bold" move? Only in provincial Minnesota.

The 2004 season is when I took a step back from gopher football and didn't renew in 2005.

Based upon their conference records, it might be BETTER if the coaches since Mason worked MUCH MORE on COACHING during the season and started getting more conference wins. That Brewster had a total of 6 conference wins in 3 and almost one half conference seasons. Then they fired him mid-season. They may say they are always focused on recruiting but the results don't indicate that either. Just maybe they would spend their time much better by coaching rather than talking about recruiting. IF the recruiting doesn't translate into conference wins it really isn't happening on a very large scale...

Based upon their conference records, it might be BETTER if the coaches since Mason worked MUCH MORE on COACHING during the season and started getting more conference wins. That Brewster had a total of 6 conference wins in 3 and almost one half conference seasons. Then they fired him mid-season. They may say they are always focused on recruiting but the results don't indicate that either. Just maybe they would spend their time much better by coaching rather than talking about recruiting. IF the recruiting doesn't translate into conference wins it really isn't happening on a very large scale...

You have to do both (recruit and coach). Brewster's failures don't make Mason's mediocrities any better.

P.S. Can you ever just type like a normal human being and not like a robot attempting to approximate English?

What is this Mason interim coach bit? Do people think a school would bring in an outside person to be an interim coach? The interim coach is already in place until Kill returns or until the finish of the season. At the end of the season either Kill will return or there will be a new HC.

For the record Souhan thinks neither Teague or Kaler are capable of hiring a football coach.

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDubbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy says Teague is riding Kill as long as he can because he is totally afraid of having to hire a new coach.

Zulgad said it sounds like Kill is controlling this show and the U 'should get their hands on this'.....and show they are in charge.

These guys are a real bunch of dolts today.

I just can't wrap my head around how these guys are employed. They take an absolute bath in the ratings and spew garbage like this.

I just can't wrap my head around how these guys are employed. They take an absolute bath in the ratings and spew garbage like this.

You give the average sports fan too much credit.
A chimp could write gibberish and it would get read as long as the headline had the word "Vikings" in it.
A meth head could do a sports radio show......oh wait. Too soon?

Top Bottom