Souhan: Gophers, conference led by voices of reason and safety, instead of the selfish and greedy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souhan:

Gabel and Coyle, like Warren, distinguished themselves from the likes of Nebraska coach Scott Frost, who is threatening to play football this fall without the Big Ten.

There are a lot of dumb people on the sidelines in college football, and there are a lot of dumb people in America whose irresponsibility caused the postponement of college football.

Be grateful for voices of reason and caution. Be grateful for Warren, Gabel and Coyle. And be wary of anyone, such as Swinney, who is determined to put young athletes at risk for his own enrichment.

Go Gophers!!

I thought it was one of his best columns and I seriously hope they kick Big Red out of the conference. I loved what Mark Rosen said yesterday on KFAN about Frost intending to play a rogue schedule of games, and I paraphrase, "go get a decent football team before you start threatening the entire conference".

I agree with this column wholeheartedly. B1G did what needed to be done.

Yes, they did.... if their objective was to cover their a$$es and prevent any risk of a lawsuit, then this was a great decision. There will be some minor consequences like the execution of some non-revenue sports, mangling part of the college experience for students, and actually making our players less safe from Corona virus. That said, we sure won't get sued and administrators at the BIG schools can sleep well at night, knowing that they are safe and secure in their positions. It also has the side benefit of allowing us to be more virtuous and caring than our counterparts in the SEC. It feels so good to be morally superior. Incredibly bold and decisive leadership. #Icoveredmybutt

Yes, they did.... if their objective was to cover their a$$es and prevent any risk of a lawsuit, then this was a great decision. There will be some minor consequences like the execution of some non-revenue sports, mangling part of the college experience for students, and actually making our players less safe from Corona virus. That said, we sure won't get sued and administrators at the BIG schools can sleep well at night, knowing that they are safe and secure in their positions. It also has the side benefit of allowing us to be more virtuous and caring than our counterparts in the SEC. It feels so good to be morally superior. Incredibly bold and decisive leadership. #Icoveredmybutt
Well said, completely agree

An alter ego to Jason Whitlock. Just much less talented of course. Not at all surprising he thinks the football season should be canceled.

Of course it is also true that the talented Whitlock would never in a million years be hired by Souhan's paper.

Last edited:

Selfish? No, these administrators and sports writers are grandstanding for the fearful and gullible. Right now, SARSCOV2 worldwide is similar to a bad flu year. We should be incouraging its spread through the invulnerable young, then it would end faster and the fragile could come out of hiding.

Immunity Slowing Down Coronavirus in Parts of the US

Whatever you think of Souhan, Lou Holtz has to win the "stupidest comment" award for comparing kids playing college football to soldiers storming the beaches at Normandy.

Was it the "safe" move for the B1G? probably. it is also a move that could cost the member schools a lot of money and potentially jeopardize non-revenue sports. so this was not an easy decision and no one is taking it lightly.

If the SEC or Big 12 is able to play a season with no issues, then the B1G looks worse by comparison. But, if the SEC or Big 12 tries to play and runs into problems, then the B1G looks better by comparison. We shall see.

I think Souhan is an oppotunistic douche bag of a writer

I think Kevin Warren is a risk adverse lawyer more afraid of doing something wrong than willing to take a chance to do something right.

That doesn't mean this wasn't the right decision.

if The Big 12 and/or SEC plays without any bumps, it would be the end of Warren. Thank goodness.

opinions are like, well, you know. You're certainly entitled to yours.

But you're not entitled to make stuff up. The idea that "players will actually be safer if they play football this fall" is pure spin. Ridiculous.

There is nothing the players can't do to protect themselves while not playing football that they can do WHILE playing. In fact, just the opposite. Obviously.

And there aren't any steps or safety protocols schools cant offer without a season that they could only offer WITH a season.

That line of argument is just excuse making. A moments honest thought is enough to come to these rather obvious conclusions.

Selfish? No, these administrators and sports writers are grandstanding for the fearful and gullible. Right now, SARSCOV2 worldwide is similar to a bad flu year. We should be incouraging its spread through the invulnerable young, then it would end faster and the fragile could come out of hiding.

1*huu-N3jSUbSUkq9gd6IPGQ.jpeg

Are you agreeing with him based on chart? I can't tell. I've certainly heard COVID mentioned in connection with the Spanish flu (1918/1919), which was an order of magnitude worse, more than I have a heard anyone acknowledge that its only about 3 times worse than the flu season a few years ago.

Are you agreeing with him based on chart? I can't tell. I've certainly heard COVID mentioned in connection with the Spanish flu (1918/1919), which was an order of magnitude worse, more than I have a heard anyone acknowledge that its only about 3 times worse than the flu season a few years ago.
Only 3 times worse than the flu a few years ago is significant. Like163K dead and climbing significant.

I have written this over and over, Now I will shout it very loudly:

WE DON'T KNOW THE LONG-TERM EFFECTS OF COVID-19

Until we know that, don't take the chance of COVID-19 spread.
Aren't you the same people telling me that I should take an unproven vaccine as soon as it's available with no long term trials? I'm guessing if I tell you in massive bold print when the vaccine is available that I don't want to take it because I don't know the long-term effects of it, you'll label me an anti-vaccer.

opinions are like, well, you know. You're certainly entitled to yours.

But you're not entitled to make stuff up. The idea that "players will actually be safer if they play football this fall" is pure spin. Ridiculous.

There is nothing the players can't do to protect themselves while not playing football that they can do WHILE playing. In fact, just the opposite. Obviously.

And there aren't any steps or safety protocols schools cant offer without a season that they could only offer WITH a season.

That line of argument is just excuse making. A moments honest thought is enough to come to these rather obvious conclusions.

If you think that college football players are as likely to follow safety protocols if they are not "in the bubble" I don't know what to tell you. Absolutely not gonna happen. A moment's honest thought is enough to come to that obvious conclusion.

So far there is at least 10 B1G players that have Myocarditis. That is under the controlled atmosphere of training camps where everyone is tested and quarantined. That shuts down an elite athlete for at least 3 months. The rate of Myocarditis is much greater with Covid than with a normal virus infection.

Covid-19 is NOT the flu. Anyone who makes that comparison is showing their ignorance of the facts. Please do some reading so you can make truly informed conclusions.

Last edited:

Aren't you the same people telling me that I should take an unproven vaccine as soon as it's available with no long term trials? I'm guessing if I tell you in massive bold print when the vaccine is available that I don't want to take it because I don't know the long-term effects of it, you'll label me an anti-vaccer.
We know a lot more about the problems associated with a vaccine than with Covid. Do not make uninformed assumptions because they sound good. Look it up.

hw8fq.jpg
Thank you Doctor.

I believe liability played a HUGE factor here, but as somebody mentioned above, the B1G stands to lose nearly a BILLION dollars by not playing this season. I don't know how much the lawyers predicted each school would stand to lose in lawsuits if they did play, but I'm guessing this was a tougher decision than many have made it out to be, and that most administrators won't be sleeping well for quite some time.

Top Bottom