Something You Hate That Everyone Loves

Not sure if there’s any Mad Men fans here, but some of the scenes I enjoyed the most was when Don would leave the office mid-day and head to the movies, whether for inspiration or to escape-found myself more jealous of that than anything else in his life 🤣
I felt the same way.
I wanted to take Peggy to a movie during work as well.

I was the only person in the theater for a matinee of "Escape from New York." when I realized I was the only person there, I almost ran back to my car to grab another joint, but decided not to.
Missed opportunities of youth.

It's amazing what you can get away with even when there are some other people in the theater. On
one occasion I brought a bottle of champagne, loudly popped it open and openly guzzled it during the movie just to see if anyone would say something. They did not.

On another occasion there were two middle age couples in the theater who brought in a friggin' picnic. They had a basket with drinks, plates, cutlery and a rotisserie chicken.

Last edited:

Speaking of Wes Anderson and empty theaters, I watched Grand Budapest Hotel in an empty theater. There's something I didn't like that others did. It felt like a retread of all his other movies. But it was nominated for a bunch of awards, so what do I know?

Beards. I know bushy beards and ironic mustaches are all the rage right now, but I think they're all kind of stupid. No-shave November is about the dumbest thing ever. I prefer Wash-that-dirt-off-your-face December.

Beards. I know bushy beards and ironic mustaches are all the rage right now, but I think they're all kind of stupid. No-shave November is about the dumbest thing ever. I prefer Wash-that-dirt-off-your-face December.
About half of adult men should grow a beard once every two years to remind them why they don't.

Watching Baseball games these days, you would think half of the players came from the House of David team.

if you don't get the reference, google House of David +baseball and see what comes up.

Speaking of Wes Anderson and empty theaters, I watched Grand Budapest Hotel in an empty theater. There's something I didn't like that others did. It felt like a retread of all his other movies. But it was nominated for a bunch of awards, so what do I know?
I've always been hit or miss with critically-acclaimed movies/shows. Especailly if the acclaim is only for a singular thing, like the editing, writing, or a performance.

If I don't care about the characters, or the dialogue is attrocious ... or it's basically any comic book type movie, I just can't do it.

Dang, I had to pick up a few things at the grocery store and they had that candy corn on sale. They suck. Also, Joni Mitchell.

Q: What did one hippie say to the other at the Dead show after the acid wore off?

A: What is this horrible music?

Worked security for a Dead concert in Phoenix 20-25 years ago. The sage(?) that people were burning to mask the pot smell, was disgusting. Then they started playing "music" and it went downhill from there.

Worked security for a Dead concert in Phoenix 20-25 years ago. The sage(?) that people were burning to mask the pot smell, was disgusting. Then they started playing "music" and it went downhill from there.
Did you have to help construct the Wall of Sound?
grateful-dead-wall-of-sound-1974.png

Did you have to help construct the Wall of Sound?
grateful-dead-wall-of-sound-1974.png
Luckily I didn't have to actually do anything. I just got paid to pretend to care, and drink beer the whole time. But don't tell anyone that I was also standing.....

i was just watching heat the other day and i realized how much i hate al pachino. just a horrible overactor. i can’t think of a role that i have enjoyed him in. maybe king lear.

I hate zoos because I feel terrible for the animals.

Fantasy Football. Even worse are TV and radio shows about fantasy football.
With you there.

I'm 100% for people betting on the outcome of games. I hate how fantasy has people not caring if a team wins, so long as so and so earns enough "points".

You hate the Godfather? How is that possible?
I found it long, boring, and predictable. To be fair though, all the icon scenes had become pop culture cliches by the time I saw it. I'm sure it was groundbreaking at the time, just didn't age well for me.

Any movie over three hours long should at least have orcs or light sabers. Or both.

The Green Bay Packers! I'm down here in Bucs country and still see more Packers gear than any other team!!

Hate is a little strong. But a few things that I saw on the first page that I agree with. Breaking Bad was a good show. Definitely don't see it as one of the best shows of all time. I happen to think that Better Call Saul is the superior show.

Early 90's grunge is right up my alley. Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc. But outside of a few songs.....I find Pearl Jam to be.....just okay.

Something that I seriously do not understand.....Bruce Springsteen. Really? I don't get the fascination.

Paul McCartney after the Beatles. Helen Wheels, Band on the Run, Jet. Don't hate, but really don't like at all.

I have posted too much in this thread. (Wish dislike was exchanged for hate in the title. Hate being a hater.) Anyways, those two Newman and Redford movies, Butch Cassidy and The Sting. I'm a really big fan of Paul N and grew to like Redford. Never really dug those two movies. Seemed like there were a half a dozen they made together, but those were the only two.

A lot of people are with me....but country music sucks.

Ah....I saw that there is a boxing thread. Reminds me that UFC is lame. Boxing is way better.

Top Bottom