Something You Hate That Everyone Loves

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
What's something you hate that everyone else seems to love?

I'll start by saying loud music. Whether at a concert or my wife's stereo, I hate loud music. I prefer to listen at a reasonable volume where I can actually enjoy the music without blowing out my ears. I like going to shows but have to really like the artist to get me to go because it's so dang loud. I know that makes me sound like an old curmudgeon, but I've been like that since college. I just don't see the appeal of loud music.

To quote Slug, "I must be getting old because the bass sounds ridiculous."

While I probably enjoyed "Breaking Bad", I certainly didn't think it was the best thing to ever grace my television screen like many, many people. I have literally had people be almost offended that I didn't gush about it. Sure, it was a decent show, maybe I need to plow through it again, but I can think of a handful of shows I liked better. The Wire is still the best and smartest show I've ever seen and Billions is really, really good up to this point.

Shame, shame, shame on you for not liking loud music (yes, that was 3 shames). For me, music takes on a different vibe and impact with every couple notches from as low as nothing more than background music to entertaining to full on powerful motivation and inspiration!

While I probably enjoyed "Breaking Bad", I certainly didn't think it was the best thing to ever grace my television screen like many, many people. I have literally had people be almost offended that I didn't gush about it. Sure, it was a decent show, maybe I need to plow through it again, but I can think of a handful of shows I liked better. The Wire is still the best and smartest show I've ever seen and Billions is really, really good up to this point.

Shame, shame, shame on you for not liking loud music (yes, that was 3 shames). For me, music takes on a different vibe and impact with every couple notches from as low as nothing more than background music to entertaining to full on powerful motivation and inspiration!
Shame, shame, shame, shame on you for not loving Breaking Bad (yes, that was 4 shames). I'd say it's the best drama I've seen. One thing I like is that it's clear they had a vision for where they wanted to go -- no throwaway episodes. Compare that to like 'Lost'. I really liked the first couple and last couple seasons. But the middle seasons felt, well, lost.

Motivation you say? That's reminds me of my favorite scene from The Simpsons. I tried to convince my high school wrestling team to run into the gym to Why Can't We Be Friends, but we went with Enter Sandman instead.

Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks. That "Edge of Seventeen" could also be named in the Worst sound in the World thread.

Does everyone love them? Awful.

Shame, shame, shame, shame on you for not loving Breaking Bad (yes, that was 4 shames). I'd say it's the best drama I've seen. One thing I like is that it's clear they had a vision for where they wanted to go -- no throwaway episodes. Compare that to like 'Lost'. I really liked the first couple and last couple seasons. But the middle seasons felt, well, lost.
Do we need to step outside and settle this like grown men?

And by "outside", I mean in the outside patio at the bar, having a cocktail while of course social distancing

Metallica.

Also feel like I'm on an island for disliking the movie Unforgiven.

Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks. That "Edge of Seventeen" could also be named in the Worst sound in the World thread.

WAG, I think I've discovered the first fissure in our relationship. We've both been on this board for a long time and I can't recall a time where we haven't been in virtual lockstep on just about everything. That ends today. I'm a huge Fleetwood Mac Stan-love the various iterations of the band, but particularly the halcyon days of the mid to late '70s when Nicks and Buckingham joined the band.

Hot take-summer's overrated. Yes, this is coming from a Minnesota native and also someone who works in education, so I enjoy a leisurely schedule during these days, but there's so much I dislike about summer-the excessively hot days, transitioning between frigid indoor establishments to the sweltering outdoors, contending with all types of flying pests, the constant slathering of sunscreen on my pasty, sensitive skin. Since moving to Peru, I've softened on this stance-the beaches here, even for a non-swimmer such as myself, are a pretty great way to while away a day.

It should also be noted, I grew up on a farm house without air conditioning, where one of my many tasks was spent outside cutting weeds, dealing with farm animals, and being bathed in my own sweat pretty much all the time. Ohh, and the work day extends much longer on the farm in the summer. And, for a kid of the '80s, pre-satellite TV, pre-streaming, summer TV was awash in reruns and the movie theatres were full of moronic action movies and comedies and sequels (not saying there's not a time and a place, but summer is a steady diet of this treacle). And before having a car, I was pretty much stuck with my parents all summer long (we lived a good distance from town). And I did not yet know the enjoyment of a frosty beer or two to relieve the heat. Back then, summer downright sucked.

Thst song is terrible but Stevie is the mvp of that band hands down.

WAG, I think I've discovered the first fissure in our relationship. We've both been on this board for a long time and I can't recall a time where we haven't been in virtual lockstep on just about everything. That ends today. I'm a huge Fleetwood Mac Stan-love the various iterations of the band, but particularly the halcyon days of the mid to late '70s when Nicks and Buckingham joined the band.
R.I.P. to Peter Green by the way.

Spotted Cow. Partly because I'm prejudice towards everything Wisconsin, and partly because it doesn't taste good. Also, Leinenkugel's is trash.

Just to show I'm not totally biased, I've also never really liked Grain Belt Nordeast.

State Fair and State Fair food. The most worthless 10 days in Minnesota. This is the greatest year ever!!!

Spotted Cow. Partly because I'm prejudice towards everything Wisconsin, and partly because it doesn't taste good. Also, Leinenkugel's is trash.

Just to show I'm not totally biased, I've also never really liked Grain Belt Nordeast.
I remember when Leinenkugel's was fancy to my group. Now...not so much. Gross.

To your Grain Belt take...How Dare You!

Along the Spotted Cow idea: I f’ling hate IPAs. That’s all anyone knows how to make, apparently. Gross

I remember when Leinenkugel's was fancy to my group. Now...not so much. Gross.

To your Grain Belt take...How Dare You!
Grain Belt Premium is fine; I just don't like Nordeast that all the hipsters used to rave about. It takes like watered down Summit to me.

My music list: The Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, alt country (or whatever you guys call it that you rave about these days), and of course The Eagles.

State Fair and State Fair food. The most worthless 10 days in Minnesota. This is the greatest year ever!!!
I am one of 5 separate Manitobans that I know of who love Minnesota, spend a fair bit of time in Minneapolis, and who hated, absolutely hated, the State Fair. The Fair appears to have to be something you grew up with to like.

the beach.

hear me out.

there is sand everywhere. it is impossible to get off you and it chafes. and then it gets in your car and your house and your shower. and the water, even at its bluest, harbors some of the most nasty creatures in the world. and riptides. saltwater stings the eyes and that paper cut you didnt know you had.

give me a pool any day.

while i enjoyed breaking bad, it started this trends in "tv" dramas of having extended periods of extremely boring time. better call saul and ozark, while interesting at times, are incredibly boring.

going to the movie theater.

why would i pay an exorbitant amount of money to sit in a dirty chair with sticky floors surrounded by 100 other people, 90 of whom are texting or talking on their phones, and is a target for active shooters, when i can stay at home and watch that movie on my big ass tv in my underwear and drink all the banquet beer i can handle while also pushing pause any time i need to piss?

Use of the acronym IMHO (In My Humble Opinion). If you're going out of your way to tell people that your opinion is humble, then you're not being very humble.

going to the movie theater.

why would i pay an exorbitant amount of money to sit in a dirty chair with sticky floors surrounded by 100 other people, 90 of whom are texting or talking on their phones, and is a target for active shooters, when i can stay at home and watch that movie on my big ass tv in my underwear and drink all the banquet beer i can handle while also pushing pause any time i need to piss?
One thing that I miss the most during this shitshow is taking my beautiful wife to the movies. We go fairly often, it's our getaway, our time together; I'm a popcorn fiend, I have to have my own, with plenty of butter, and if the popcorn is good, the quality of the movie is almost irrelevant. And the movie theaters in LV are almost never packed. Often when we go, there are 15-25 people in the theater, and many times there are less than 10.

As a matter of fact, I just told the wife last night that I miss taking her to the movies. It's just my time to unplug, decompress; I lean over and give the wife a kiss after all the previews and just before the movie is going to start every time out and all is well in the world.

Nooooooooo!

It's OK. I'll get over it if you will.

the beach.

hear me out.

there is sand everywhere. it is impossible to get off you and it chafes. and then it gets in your car and your house and your shower. and the water, even at its bluest, harbors some of the most nasty creatures in the world. and riptides. saltwater stings the eyes and that paper cut you didnt know you had.

give me a pool any day.
I'm with you, but I'll take it even one step further.

Hawaii

Everything is priced pretty high, it's pretty humid (and I've gotten very used to the desert dry, and love it), and let's be honest, they really hate whitey over there. We're not beach people either, I just don't get the concept of laying in the heat/sun on the sand and doing nothing, yes the salt water sucks, etc.

Been there twice; once for our semi-honeymoon in Maui when the rental car window was smashed and our car was robbed (they know exactly which cars are rental cars) and tried to do too much and felt like we drove a lot. Second time was for the Half IronMan 70.3 race that I did and it was just plain hot and humid, expensive, and outside of the race we didn't do much at all.

Honestly don't know if I would ever go back, unless I wanted to go back for that race again, but I didn't like the course that much

Hot take-summer's overrated. Yes, this is coming from a Minnesota native and also someone who works in education, so I enjoy a leisurely schedule during these days, but there's so much I dislike about summer-the excessively hot days, transitioning between frigid indoor establishments to the sweltering outdoors, contending with all types of flying pests, the constant slathering of sunscreen on my pasty, sensitive skin. Since moving to Peru, I've softened on this stance-the beaches here, even for a non-swimmer such as myself, are a pretty great way to while away a day.

It should also be noted, I grew up on a farm house without air conditioning, where one of my many tasks was spent outside cutting weeds, dealing with farm animals, and being bathed in my own sweat pretty much all the time. Ohh, and the work day extends much longer on the farm in the summer. And, for a kid of the '80s, pre-satellite TV, pre-streaming, summer TV was awash in reruns and the movie theatres were full of moronic action movies and comedies and sequels (not saying there's not a time and a place, but summer is a steady diet of this treacle). And before having a car, I was pretty much stuck with my parents all summer long (we lived a good distance from town). And I did not yet know the enjoyment of a frosty beer or two to relieve the heat. Back then, summer downright sucked.
Maybe you'll disagree again, but I'll add on to this. I don't care much lakes/boats. It can be fun, but the people who make a lifestyle out of it...no way.

I love going to the movie theatre, and I hope the experience survives this pandemic. I was on the tail end of the era where seemingly every small town had their own movie theatre and I remember the excitement of seeing the lights emblazoned in the night time and viewing the coming attraction posters with anticipation. I've had great times in packed theatres from Footloose in 6th grade to Pulp Fiction during college to Sex and the City with my wife where I was one of a handful of men in the theatre on opening night. I've also seen movies where I (and whoever I go with) are the only ones in the theatre-especially mid-week summer matinees to beat the heat and the crowds.

Just a couple weeks ago, I was reminiscing with a college friend about scaring her during the original Scream in a packed movie theatre. I can instantly recall experiences with friends from high school through adulthood where if I was to text or call and say, "Remember when we saw _____ in the theatre?" we'd be tripping down memory lane.

I love movies in all forms and even before the quarantine, viewed a vast majority of movies from my couch. But there's still a bit of magic for me in going to the theatre, no matter the movie that's up on the big screen.

Top Bottom