Somebody Should Be Fired

Not according to statistics. I'll take statistics over the word of an anonymous message board rube. But thanks anyway.

Who said they were? They are well below average, and have been most years since at least 1967.

Stats don't mean much when u stock pile vs the likes of elon 62-0 beat down and a 66-0 beat down of Idaho. I see your point, well played

We can all argue whether this was a good move or not by Kill. I've already weighed in and find this entire saga pathetic. But it is what it is. Done and done and nothing can now change it. However, based on various reactions to this news, one thing we should all be able to agree on is this: This football program is a total and complete joke and is going to be for at least a few more years. There should be no debate about this from anybody.

Pro-Kill supporters have been calling this a good move because North Carolina would supposedly completely ruin us. Heck, even the coach and the administration think we're walking into slaughters with these games, having basically said so when meeting with the press. So now, it comes down to this: Do you want to support a complete and total joke of a BCS football program? I'll let all the wise ones on this site decide that for themselves.

We can all argue whether this was a good move or not by Kill. I've already weighed in and find this entire saga pathetic. But it is what it is. Done and done and nothing can now change it. However, based on various reactions to this news, one thing we should all be able to agree on is this: This football program is a total and complete joke and is going to be for at least a few more years. There should be no debate about this from anybody.

Pro-Kill supporters have been calling this a good move because North Carolina would supposedly completely ruin us. Heck, even the coach and the administration think we're walking into slaughters with these games, having basically said so when meeting with the press. So now, it comes down to this: Do you want to support a complete and total joke of a BCS football program? I'll let all the wise ones on this site decide that for themselves.

I will bitch and moan but I will always support, i might stay home but I'm always going to be a gopher

I will bitch and moan but I will always support, i might stay home but I'm always going to be a gopher

Same here. Although, I think it would be much healthier if we all just admitted what a complete joke our program is. That way, there will be a lot less reason to bitch when things don't go well. And when we win a couple of games against our down-graded schedule, it will be nice to actually win some of the time. That seemingly would save a lot of the overall angst people around here show when the team stinks it up on the field once the Big Ten schedule starts.

Brewster was in over his head and he said/did a lot of stupid things. But the one thing he never did was give the impression he did not believe in his team. He wanted to schedule the best because he believed his team would/should be able to compete with the best. He truly believed (misguided as it may have been at times) that we could win any game on our schedule.

With this move Kill just told the team and all the fans that even in years 3-4 when his players should be all over the roster and guys will have multiple years in his system that he doesn't believe his team is good enough to take on a decent team from a BCS conference. In fact he is so confident that we can't compete that he gets behind us paying 800K to get out of that matchup in order to go on the road against a terrible D1 program.

If this home/home stuff with New Mexico State does in fact get confirmed as true....I will still be a supporter of Gopher football but it is getting harder and harder to believe in the man who we are supposed to believe is going to lead us to great things.

In this particular situation, @UNC in 2013, we had very little upside potential and a huge risk of getting destroyed, leading to not getting a better bowl bid, or perhaps not even getting a bowl bid at all.

Congrats on finding a suitable replacement of whom you should have no fear. Whoops.

I took your last quote to mock the Gophers for losing to NMST, all the while your Tigers were busy losing to teams much worse. If that is not the case, would you care to clarify?
I'm terribly sorry for the misunderstanding. I wasn't mocking the Gophers for losing to NMSU, I was mocking the Gophers for spending $800,000 to avoid a loss to UNC by scheduling a game against a team they have never beaten. I apologize for not being clearer.

Not that you need to be told, but the Tigers are undefeated in conference play this year! Rah!

Kill wants 8 home games and only 4 Big Ten Road games for the future.

Kill wants 8 home games and only 4 Big Ten Road games for the future.

So backing out of the UNC game he didn't even get what he wanted. Next year we travel to New Mexico State instead of UNC. That move cost us $800K.

Go Gophers!!

More salient stats, not that anyone seems to care:

Total weeks ranked in AP Poll since 2008 (inclusive)
North Carolina: 12
Minnesota: 2

Alumni currently on a 53-man NFL roster
North Carolina: 22
Minnesota: 3

Current players listed on 2013 NFL Draft Prospect watch list (NFLDraftScout.com)
North Carolina: 11
Minnesota: 4

Rivals overall recruiting ranking finishes since 2008 (inclusive)
North Carolina: 32, 9, 29, 16, 44, 17
Minnesota: 17, 39, 51, 52, 72, 91

So, in summary, North Carolina recruits much better than us, plays better than us, and puts way more players into the NFL in the recent past and in the present. Other than that, we're virtually identical!

More salient stats, not that anyone seems to care:

Total weeks ranked in AP Poll since 2008 (inclusive)
North Carolina: 12
Minnesota: 2

Alumni currently on a 53-man NFL roster
North Carolina: 22
Minnesota: 3

Current players listed on 2013 NFL Draft Prospect watch list (NFLDraftScout.com)
North Carolina: 11
Minnesota: 4

Rivals overall recruiting ranking finishes since 2008 (inclusive)
North Carolina: 32, 9, 29, 16, 44, 17
Minnesota: 17, 39, 51, 52, 72, 91

So, in summary, North Carolina recruits much better than us, plays better than us, and puts way more players into the NFL in the recent past and present. Other than that, we're virtually identical!

Good thing we wouldn't be playing those teams or those players then right?

Good thing we wouldn't be playing those teams or those players then right?

Presumably, most of the players recruited in 2009-2013, when UNC recruited better-to-much-better than us each and every season, will still be on the roster in 2013.

Presumably, most of the players recruited in 2009-2013, when UNC recruited better-to-much-better than us each and every season, will still be on the roster in 2013.

And u can agree USC recruits better than both UNC and minny? And USC didn't look like a world beater when we played them. i think I would rank UNC miles behind the Trojans but I'm not going to look up the recruiting numbers I'm not that big of a stickler. UNC was pretty good, they have padded stats vs weak opponents and were beat by a terrible wake team. Their current squad isn't that good

And u can agree USC recruits better than both UNC and minny? And USC didn't look like a world beater when we played them. i think I would rank UNC miles behind the Trojans but I'm not going to look up the recruiting numbers I'm not that big of a stickler. UNC was pretty good, they have padded stats vs weak opponents and were beat by a terrible wake team. Their current squad isn't that good
I knew someone would bring that up. We played it close with USC because they didn't take us seriously at all. They were up 19-3 at the half and everyone on their team took a nap. We never led in that game, let's try to be a little honest with ourselves here. We were a scrimmage for them.

I knew someone would bring that up. We played it close with USC because they didn't take us seriously at all. They were up 19-3 at the half and everyone on their team took a nap. We never led in that game, let's try to be a little honest with ourselves here. We were a scrimmage for them.

Why wouldn't that powerhouse UNC do the same? We are a hell of a lot closer to UNC compared to USC. What done is done but the fact someone is trying to make UNC into a powerhouse that we can't compete with is a joke. We play 4-5 big tens a year tht are better than UNC

Screw stats and predictions, this is a lame move plain and simple. This isnt Alabama were talking about, anything could have happened in Chapel Hill, this move is sending the wrong message to the fans, players & recruits.

Screw stats and predictions, this is a lame move plain and simple. This isnt Alabama were talking about, anything could have happened in Chapel Hill, this move is sending the wrong message to the fans, players & recruits.

What I don't understand with all of the turmoil about this, is why we weren't this up in arms when Texas and Navy cancelled games with us? That pisses me off more than this fiasco.

What I don't understand with all of the turmoil about this, is why we weren't this up in arms when Texas and Navy cancelled games with us? That pisses me off more than this fiasco.

How much did we pay them to cancel? If its zero that's why no one is upset

How much did we pay them to cancel? If its zero that's why no one is upset

WE did not cancel those contracts, they did. But it was never made public what any buyouts were. At least as far as I know.

If there were any buyout numbers, then Teague has a separate fund for buyout dollars in, buyout dollars out, and the fund balance is therefore still in the black after the 800K to NC.

I am not saying I condone this $hit, but maybe there is more to it in the big picture that none of us can comprehend. I tend to let the decisionmakers make the decisions, because they know a hell of a lot more than I do, or than any of us do.

anything could have happened in Chapel Hill

Anything can happen in any game. Responsible scheduling is picking games against opponents that you have a reasonable chance of defeating. If we're going with the "anything could have happened" line of thinking, why don't we just schedule Alabama, USC, Texas, and Florida as our non-conference opponents every year? We could beat any one of them. Surely, people will take us seriously after we schedule such a daunting non-conference schedule year in and year out. It won't matter that we'll get our asses kicked in the overwhelming majority of those games.

Anything can happen in any game. Responsible scheduling is picking games against opponents that you have a reasonable chance of defeating. If we're going with the "anything could have happened" line of thinking, why don't we just schedule Alabama, USC, Texas, and Florida as our non-conference opponents every year? We could beat any one of them. Surely, people will take us seriously after we schedule such a daunting non-conference schedule year in and year out. It won't matter that we'll get our asses kicked in the overwhelming majority of those games.

dpodoll, the Gophers could win all but one of those four, and our naysayers would ad nauseum bitch and moan about the one we lost. You have enough experience on GH to know that.

WE did not cancel those contracts, they did. But it was never made public what any buyouts were. At least as far as I know.

If there were any buyout numbers, then Teague has a separate fund for buyout dollars in, buyout dollars out, and the fund balance is therefore still in the black after the 800K to NC.

I am not saying I condone this $hit, but maybe there is more to it in the big picture that none of us can comprehend. I tend to let the decisionmakers make the decisions, because they know a hell of a lot more than I do, or than any of us do.

They cancelled the games 8 years in advance for reasons that didn't involve thinking Minnesota was going to be too tough for them, in the words of our head coach.

dpodoll, the Gophers could win all but one of those four, and our naysayers would ad nauseum bitch and moan about the one we lost. You have enough experience on GH to know that.

Unlike you, who loves mediocrity and is just happy our boys can lace up their shoes and actually make it onto the field.

I had no idea that dpodoll68 was such a hairless wuss. My god we're talking about UNC here, hardly a world beater. I'm VERY embarrassed by coach Kill with this decision, there is no defense for it regardless of dpo's rationalizations.

I had no idea that dpodoll68 was such a hairless wuss. My god we're talking about UNC here, hardly a world beater. I'm VERY embarrassed by coach Kill with this decision, there is no defense for it regardless of dpo's rationalizations.

If UNC is so terrible at football, and yet they are far better than us by any metric you can conjure, what the hell does that make US at football?

If UNC is so terrible at football, and yet they are far better than us by any metric you can conjure, what the hell does that make US at football?

Who said they are terrible? UNC is average this year we would have a similar record to theirs if we played their schedule.

UNC is average this year we would have a similar record to theirs if we played their schedule.

Not proveable. Also doubtful. What is proveable, statistically, is that they are not average at football.

Top Bottom