Somebody Should Be Fired

I won't give to craps about losing an away game at UNC. They mean nothing to me. Now, playing a cupcake to ensure we make a bowl game both those years...even the Pizza bowl...that means something to me and to the team.

We can't get up a level until we start playing in bowl games every year...need it for recruiting, need for player development (yes 15 practices is a big deal for developing young players) and we need it for team morale.

We easily make up the $800k with a home game versus an away game. And season ticket sales are based on a winning team and who is coming to town. Is anyone seriously saying they aren't buying season tickets because UNC isn't coming? You buy season tickets to support the school and the program and to see us play our rivals like Wiscy, Ia, NE & Michigan. Get serious people.

I won't give to craps about losing an away game at UNC. They mean nothing to me. Now, playing a cupcake to ensure we make a bowl game both those years...even the Pizza bowl...that means something to me and to the team.

We can't get up a level until we start playing in bowl games every year...need it for recruiting, need for player development (yes 15 practices is a big deal for developing young players) and we need it for team morale.

We easily make up the $800k with a home game versus an away game. And season ticket sales are based on a winning team and who is coming to town. Is anyone seriously saying they aren't buying season tickets because UNC isn't coming? You buy season tickets to support the school and the program and to see us play our rivals like Wiscy, Ia, NE & Michigan. Get serious people.

Well-stated.

And what does saying, "I don't think you're able to compete with someone who is your equal" do to team morale? If you're playing a game of pick-up basketball in the park and you end up guarding the 8-year-old who is just there to even up numbers, is that going to give you a boost in confidence?

Then my criticism (phrased in the conditional) is retracted. If this is true.

But if it is, why on earth wasn't our AD saying this over and over?

Also if it is true, why on earth would any BCS team play home and home series? Yet most do.

Fact of the matter, and there is no debating this, the Athletic department is 800 000 poorer for making the decision to schedule a home and home with North Carolina. Oh yeah, the catalyst for that decision, Maturi is still on staff as a "consultant" making 250 000 or so.

It was confirmed today in a press conference by Teague. It is currently an open game for the next two seasons. We need to find a team to replace the game with.

Short version: The game is officially scrapped.

Bad post by me, sorry: My actual question was has anyone confirmed the now open date is guaranteed 100% to be a home game rather than an away game?

Then my criticism (phrased in the conditional) is retracted. If this is true.

But if it is, why on earth wasn't our AD saying this over and over?

Because according to a post by GopherLady, they really don't know who they are going to play and what the terms of any agreement might be. It is looking more and more like cut, run and then figure out a plan later. I still have yet to see any concrete commentary by our AD that we are 100% guaranteed a home game for our now open date. If it is our there at this time, someone post a link and I will gladly eat crow.

It was confirmed today in a press conference by Teague. It is currently an open game for the next two seasons. We need to find a team to replace the game with.

Short version: The game is officially scrapped.

Whether the game is officially scrapped wasn't the question. Weddings and Steak Frys asked whether anybody has heard/read confirmation that the UNC road game will definitely be a home game. If you are correct, that "we need to find a team to replace the game with" -- and I believe that's true -- then we can't say for sure right now that it will be a home game. We hope so.

Outside of the diehards, the Gophers will be laughed at if they go to Detroit for the Little Caesar's Bowl game. Going to lower tier bowl games is anything but a program-changer. It's not cost-efficient. The 15 additional practices are overrated for the following year's prep (bowl practices are meant for prep for the bowl opponent, not for the following season 9 months later, especially considering the roster turnover that will take place), and NO RECRUIT CARES ABOUT LOWER TIER BOWLS. All it does is give the coach something small on their resume and the current players get a little bit of free stuff out of the deal. For the vast majority of fans, the TicketCity and Little Caesar bowl games of the world do not change my opinion of the program. When Brewster brought 2 bad teams to bowl games, my opinion didn't change. Summation: Lower Tier bowls are way overrated.

Outside of the diehards, the Gophers will be laughed at if they go to Detroit for the Little Caesar's Bowl game.

Outside of the diehards, hardly anyone knows the Gophers exist. Even fewer care enough to "laugh" at their "predicament" of going to a low-level bowl game.

Why does anyone care so much what anyone else thinks of the Gophers? I've never understood this need to have outside validation for the things I enjoy following and supporting.

I did take a look at the SEC non-conference Schedules.
12 of the 14 Teams play at least one BCS Opponent.
Only two Teams, Mississippi ST. and Teaxs Am will play Gopher like Schedules.

Awesome!!!! Programs on the move upward! Right? We could be on the same path.

The fact which cannot be denied is that the U is NOT going to be out $800,000. The U may even make money on this by getting an extra home game. Blaming Maturi for this doesn't make sense, it wasn't cancelled on his watch.

Outside of the diehards, hardly anyone knows the Gophers exist. Even fewer care enough to "laugh" at their "predicament" of going to a low-level bowl game.

Why does anyone care so much what anyone else thinks of the Gophers? I've never understood this need to have outside validation for the things I enjoy following and supporting.

The perception of the program has to change locally and nationally and if you can't see that, I can't help you.

Going to a lower tier bowl game won't come close to changing that perception and I think Kill seems to think that will be the case.

Pewterschmidt said:
Outside of the diehards, the Gophers will be laughed at if they go to Detroit for the Little Caesar's Bowl game. Going to lower tier bowl games is anything but a program-changer. It's not cost-efficient. The 15 additional practices are overrated for the following year's prep (bowl practices are meant for prep for the bowl opponent, not for the following season 9 months later, especially considering the roster turnover that will take place), and NO RECRUIT CARES ABOUT LOWER TIER BOWLS. All it does is give the coach something small on their resume and the current players get a little bit of free stuff out of the deal. For the vast majority of fans, the TicketCity and Little Caesar bowl games of the world do not change my opinion of the program. When Brewster brought 2 bad teams to bowl games, my opinion didn't change. Summation: Lower Tier bowls are way overrated.

You are wrong about the 15 bowl practices. Repetitions are what make you better, whether its prepping for a bowl opponent or spring ball or whatever. Ask any coach if they would rather have 15 more practices or not.

As for the cupcakes...once we are to the point of beating them handily, then we can upgrade the schedule.

You are wrong about the 15 bowl practices. Repetitions are what make you better, whether its prepping for a bowl opponent or spring ball or whatever. Ask any coach if they would rather have 15 more practices or not.

As for the cupcakes...once we are to the point of beating them handily, then we can upgrade the schedule.

Of course 15 practices is better than nothing. It's just not nearly as important to next year's success as spring or fall practice. Not even close. The roster is different. The prep is different. The emphasis is different. Often coaches are different. Plus it's 9 months removed from the start of the next season. People make those 15 practices out to be a life or death situation for a program. Not even close IMO.

Not always true. Didn't Mason make position changes he was envisioning for the following year during bowl prep?

Of course 15 practices is better than nothing. It's just not nearly as important to next year's success as spring or fall practice. Not even close. The roster is different. The prep is different. The emphasis is different. Often coaches are different. Plus it's 9 months removed from the start of the next season. People make those 15 practices out to be a life or death situation for a program. Not even close IMO.

Spring Ball is 6 months removed from Fall so that doesn't matter either? As I stated earlier, the additional time spent with the younger players during the bowl practices goes a long way in their development. Also, the team does not spend all 15 practices, well 14 considering the game counts as one, preparing for the opponent. The last week or so is when the actual prep begins, previous time is spent on development and fundamentals.

Excellent! That's like adding 20% more practices for the "main season" (excluding Spring Ball)! The extra time for the younger players is invaluable! Unless you've been around (coaching) a high school team that plays into mid-November or later or coached a bowl eligible college team, you have no clue as to how valuable it is for your younger players!!!

Excellent! That's like adding 20% more practices for the "main season" (excluding Spring Ball)! The extra time for the younger players is invaluable! Unless you've been around (coaching) a high school team that plays into mid-November or later or coached a bowl eligible college team, you have no clue as to how valuable it is for your younger players!!!

Invaluable?

Also, nice math.

No one else gets those 15 practices either, right? Just the Gophers, right? Not 70 some odd other programs?

Those 15 practices did magic to our program during previous years. We always got over the hump of going to lower tier bowl games, right? Invaluable!

Invaluable?

Also, nice math.

No one else gets those 15 practices either, right? Just the Gophers, right? Not 70 some odd other programs?

Those 15 practices did magic to our program during previous years. We always got over the hump of going to lower tier bowl games, right? Invaluable!

1. 17 regular season weeks counting pre-fall; 3 weeks of bowl prep: 3/17= 17.6% Thus, "like adding 20%"

2. Without those 15 practices, the gap widens!!! We never got over the hump, but we rarely went backwards either...we were able to maintain. The rich get richer the poor get nothing.

What if everyone on your conference schedule got 3 additional weeks of Spring Ball, would that bother you?

When the books are closed there won't be a gaping $800,000 hole from this move.

Adding an extra home game to next year when season ticket sales will be strong with the "big three" on the schedule will probably recoup it in its entirety. No sales to the Nebraska game without purchasing a ticket to this game!

Take a look at SEC non-conference schedules. It's almost jaw dropping how few BCS road games they play. Many of their marquee non-conference match ups take place on neutral territory, and they play powerhouses like South Alabama and Jackson State at home.

I'm sure Teague did the math before he made the move. I don't think Teague was prepared for the PR side of the situation. He hasn't been at a school with the culture of ours, where there's strong distrust and scant loyalty to the Athletic Dept.

By Saturday afternoon this discussion will be on the back burner. We'll either be in elation mode, or more likely, sitting around discussing how we'll never beat Wisconsin again.

It won't be $800K, but it will be something. Even if they can net $800K for a home game, they'll have to turn around and pay Cupcake U $600K of it to come here. The reality is this was a home-and-home series that likely had no money changing hands and we turned around and paid to get out of it. If they'd scheduled Cupcake U from the beginning they'd still net the $ from the home game and not be out $800K.

Meanwhile, we can't build a practice facility for lack of funds and the MBB team has to take the bus a few times a year to save a few thousand dollars. Brilliant.

1. 17 regular season weeks counting pre-fall; 3 weeks of bowl prep: 3/17= 17.6% Thus, "like adding 20%"

2. Without those 15 practices, the gap widens!!! We never got over the hump, but we rarely went backwards either...we were able to maintain. The rich get richer the poor get nothing.

What if everyone on your conference schedule got 3 additional weeks of Spring Ball, would that bother you?

:facepalm.

1. Why are you excluding Spring Practice from your math? For convinence for your flawed argument? Stop cherry-picking stats.

2. The gap widens? You think those 15 practices are a difference-maker? Look at our history of bowl games. Sure helped us!

It won't be $800K, but it will be something. Even if they can net $800K for a home game, they'll have to turn around and pay Cupcake U $600K of it to come here. The reality is this was a home-and-home series that likely had no money changing hands and we turned around and paid to get out of it. If they'd scheduled it that way from the beginning they'd still net the $ from the home game and not be out $800K.

Meanwhile, we can't build a practice facility for lack of funds and the MBB team has to take the bus a few times a year to save a few thousand dollars. Brilliant.

..and they could have bought a bleep-load of cash registers too!

:facepalm.

1. Why are you excluding Spring Practice from your math? For convinence for your flawed argument? Stop cherry-picking stats.

2. The gap widens? You think those 15 practices are a difference-maker? Look at our history of bowl games. Sure helped us!

1. ok...spring practice too. 15% more...3/20=15% (if you had 15% more money to improve your finances would you say no?) If practice isn't important why did/do coaches complain about the limited contact time restrictions the NCAA placed on them?

2. Are you saying that those 3 weeks of practice does nothing to improve a player? Like I said...if you haven't coached with the extra time, you have ZERO idea what it does. Also, why does ANY coach try to get their recruits to enroll early...for those 3 extra weeks in the spring!

I never claimed it's a program changer; yet, it's a necessary part of building a program, keeping up with the Jones's, and keeping the bottom feeder's at the bottom.

It won't be $800K, but it will be something. Even if they can net $800K for a home game, they'll have to turn around and pay Cupcake U $600K of it to come here. The reality is this was a home-and-home series that likely had no money changing hands and we turned around and paid to get out of it. If they'd scheduled Cupcake U from the beginning they'd still net the $ from the home game and not be out $800K.

Please name ONE "Cupcake U" team that we have paid $600K to come here for a game like this.

It is generally in the $250-$350 K range.

Therefore, in 2 years or at most 3 years, the whole $$$$ thing becomes a wash.

It's called cut your short term losses for long term gain. Oh, wait, this now belongs on the OT Board to get further information from beej and diehard. ;)

Let's say we continue to lose STH and only have 25,000 in '13. 25000 x $35 is $875,000 in ticket sales only from STH.
That's a Gross of $875,000 before any $ is spent on anything else. It's almost all coming back when you factor in the savings of traveling to UNC

Exactly right. We get 6+ wins next year, and nobody gives a rip if we went to Chapel Hill or not, and the Athletic Dept's loss is more than covered.

Along with not paying the expenses associated with traveling to NC, and financially they should be fine. Personally wanted them by honestly, they made a judgment call for the moment which I don't agree with, but it is not worth calling heads for.

Let's say we continue to lose STH and only have 25,000 in '13. 25000 x $35 is $875,000 in ticket sales only from STH.
That's a Gross of $875,000 before any $ is spent on anything else. It's almost all coming back when you factor in the savings of traveling to UNC

I see what you're saying, but I don't think it's a fair calculation because I think season tickets will cost the same whether it's 7 or 8 home games. If they do actually jack the season ticket prices with 8, your point is fair.

Season Ticket Holder Special Discounts:

Purchase prior to January 1, 2013 = 15% discount.
Purchase prior to February 1, 2013 = 10% discount.
Purchase prior to March 1, 2013 = 5% discount.
Purchase ON March 1, 2013 = Full price.
Purchase after March 1, 2013 = 10% surcharge on full price, but you get 2 free beer coupons in the Beer Garden, compliments of dpodoll.

Go Gopher!!!

If Kill could have ducked Syrcause this year he would have base upon this decision. SU and UNC are about equal this point.
*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# no they aren't. This is getting to be a really tiresome argument. North Carolina isn't a top notch program, but they are definitely in a different class than Minnesota and Syracuse.

Top Bottom