SOMEBODY NEEDS TO SAY IT.....

Reaction score
...the Gophers are a good basketball team once again. Whether it's due to the competition or otherwise, they are a completely different team now. Rodney is a fabulous player. Eliason is a huge asset. Austin Hollins is a cool cookie. Dre is the real deal. Count me in as one very impressed fan. This is fun again!!

this is awesome..the prospect of having Mbakwe and Lockett on this team next year makes things VERY exciting

Finally started limiting minutes for Mav and Playing the best players much longer.....less hockey line changes.

Finally started limiting minutes for Mav and Playing the best players much longer.....less hockey line changes.

This is exactly what it is. Players who are playing can actually get in a flow because they aren't sitting 6 minute stretches.

This is exactly what it is. Players who are playing can actually get in a flow because they aren't sitting 6 minute stretches.

That's probably part of it. But the biggest difference I see now is guys like Williams, Hollins, and Hollins are so much more confident than they were before. They trust their shots and abilities.

Check the Sagarin ratings. They're solidly in the 30's right now. Considering that's an aggregate rating including the stinky games they played earlier in the season, this is a pretty decent team at this point.

That's probably part of it. But the biggest difference I see now is guys like Williams, Hollins, and Hollins are so much more confident than they were before. They trust their shots and abilities.
+6
Same for Ingram.

Is it just me or did things really start clicking for Williams when Sampson went out.

I thinking getting to play 30+ minutes every night helps confidence.

...the Gophers are a good basketball team once again. Whether it's due to the competition or otherwise, they are a completely different team now. Rodney is a fabulous player. Eliason is a huge asset. Austin Hollins is a cool cookie. Dre is the real deal. Count me in as one very impressed fan. This is fun again!!

+1

Andre has 7 straight games with double figures and Rodney has 4 in a row with 20+. Love it.

Go Gophers!!

I thinking getting to play 30+ minutes every night helps confidence.

Rodney Williams has averaged 32 minutes a game all year, Austin Hollins 27. I hated the line changes as much as anyone so I agree its great to see us get away from that. But regardless of that, it's hard to argue that the confidence of the team hasn't risen significantly lately. Whether it's coaching, the young guys growing up a little, or somewhere in between, I really don't know. But it is nice to see. Guys aren't playing scared.

There's plenty of good things happening, but Dre Hollins emerging is probably the biggest factor in this team's sudden improvement. It started with the game in Madison, and really even flashes were showing up before then as he finally got healthy again. But once he fought back into that starting lineup, he took the bull by the horns and this team has responded around him similarly.

Rodney is simply a more aggressive player right now, not sure what's gotten into him, but I like it. Those two guys are really leading this team right now, and it allows other guys to fit in.

The bench has definitely shortened, but I think that's also more reflective of those guys taking their minutes, not just Tubby simply handing those minutes to them.

There's plenty of good things happening, but Dre Hollins emerging is probably the biggest factor in this team's sudden improvement. It started with the game in Madison, and really even flashes were showing up before then as he finally got healthy again. But once he fought back into that starting lineup, he took the bull by the horns and this team has responded around him similarly.

Rodney is simply a more aggressive player right now, not sure what's gotten into him, but I like it. Those two guys are really leading this team right now, and it allows other guys to fit in.

The bench has definitely shortened, but I think that's also more reflective of those guys taking their minutes, not just Tubby simply handing those minutes to them.
I agree - good post.

Funny how it took the NIT for some go you negative Gopherholers to stop calling for Tubby's head and realize how young this team really is.

Funny how it took the NIT for some go you negative Gopherholers to stop calling for Tubby's head and realize how young this team really is.

I think in a game like tonight ralph could have easily had 14 to 20 points since mtsu has no real size but there's no denying EE played with great energy and intensity. Kid has a good future! Everyone but Welch played with great energy. I think Welch is pouting a bit over minutes but the coaching staff can sell him on being a great spot up shooter which he's really good at but he's just not very strong with the ball, a great leader or ball handler.

I think Rodney has had much of the skill level he's currently showing all year but he's finally asserting himself and his team mates are getting him the ball. I'm not sure if he believed he's more often times the best athlete/player on the floor but when he wants to be he can be. The sky is the limit for him and he's a great kid!

I did see a few missed wide open passes to him in the post. But the positives are, he's confident, hitting free throws, jump shots, taking the ball to the hole and seems really focused. Come crunch time, I'd say give him or Andre the ball and let the chips fall where they may. He could get drafted this year if he came out but he could be top 10 to 15 if he comes back and progresses. I would love to see him come back though I wouldn't blame him if he left.

100% Agree

Maybe those players have finally started to eliminate mistakes, separate themselves from the pack & take ownership of this team? Just saying minutes are earned, not granted & players like Dre, EE, Austin, & Joe have EARNED minutes late in the season, also Ingram, Chip & Mav have all looked serviceable in small doses.

Everyone but Welch played with great energy. I think Welch is pouting a bit over minutes but the coaching staff can sell him on being a great spot up shooter which he's really good at but he's just not very strong with the ball, a great leader or ball handler.

Welch is extremely frustrating to me. He is a very good spot-up shooter, as you mention - and maybe that's exactly how he should be used. He is very careless with the ball at times. He seems smart to me, but makes some very stupid plays.

Welch is extremely frustrating to me. He is a very good spot-up shooter, as you mention - and maybe that's exactly how he should be used. He is very careless with the ball at times. He seems smart to me, but makes some very stupid plays.

Welch is a step slow for a high D1 guard & is outplayed by top tier B1G guards. He's a solid rotation guy next year, nice spot up shooter, can run the show when Dre needs a break, good player, not a great player though. He's needs to deal with this reality, if he has not already done so. It's Dre's team now, get onboard or get left at the station.

Maybe those players have finally started to eliminate mistakes, separate themselves from the pack & take ownership of this team? Just saying minutes are earned, not granted & players like Dre, EE, Austin, & Joe have EARNED minutes late in the season, also Ingram, Chip & Mav have all looked serviceable in small doses.

To your first part...no doubt they have gotten better. I think part of it is a better rotation. Dre doesn't look as good at the beginning of the year when he is on the floor with Chip, Mav, Oto, and Eliason as the B squad....I do not think that is coincidence.

Chip has looked okay in small doses yes.

Ingram has looked terrible in every game except for NIT round 2.
I have never seen maverick play a game I would consider average or better for a Big Ten player in 2 years now. He is the worst player I have ever seen get significant minutes in a big ten uniform. And that might sound hyperbolic....but without searching my memory too strenuously...I actually think I am being honest when I say that.

I commend Tubby for his loyalty to Ralph even though it's been clear since the halfway point of the season that the gophers were a better team with EE on the floor. I hope the younger players appreciate that. It's also been clear from the start that, even when injured, Dre was the most talented guard on the roster. I guess we'll never know if Dre's time on the bench was due to Tubby's stubbornness or his inability to play 30 minutes a game due to injury.

It's been a really nice three game run in the NIT. A nice contrast from the last two years. In addition to winning, the team has been fun to watch. It is, however, the NIT and Tubby's record at the U is nearly Monson like. So, if he wants to play the "I pick up the phone when it rings" game the chances are it's someone from the democratic or republican campaign committee asking for cash at the other end.

Top Bottom