Some one always steps up.

TrapperDoo

Reaction score
I just found a 2013 highlight on YouTube and it got me to thinking how every year we graduate "irreplaceable" players and yet we always find replacements. The 2013 film had Derrik Engle, Alex Keith and Rasheed Hagemann, along with a bunch of others. I remember before last season started we were all wondering how we were going to get by without those guys. Well...we did it, and this coming year will be no different. In fact we should be even better. No Maxx, no Cedric, and no David Cobb, but Im not worried and I can't wait to see who brings it. And trust me, someone we are not even thinking of right now will be emerge to greatness this year. Happens every time! I can't wait for football!

Someone leaves, next man up. Who's gonna man up? The fun and speculation of the future.

2014 yielded the same record as 2013. I dont think anybodys worried about getting by but what about taking the NEXT STEP?

2014 yielded the same record as 2013. I dont think anybodys worried about getting by but what about taking the NEXT STEP?

In 2013 we played New Mexico State and Syracuse with a 4-4 Big Ten record. In 2014 we played TCU and Missouri with a 5-3 Big Ten record. The gophers absolutely did take a step froward from two years ago to last year.

In 2013 we played New Mexico State and Syracuse with a 4-4 Big Ten record. In 2014 we played TCU and Missouri with a 5-3 Big Ten record. The gophers absolutely did take a step froward from two years ago to last year.

Yea from 2 yrs ago. last yr was still 8-5 with a bowl loss and an 11th consecutive lose to Wisconsin. So are we going to take the next step this yr with 1 of the most critical positions on the team RB going from a early to middle round NFL er to an Arena league guy?

IIRC, we had a lead in the 2nd half of every game last year outside of TCU and OSU (whom we were tied with briefly in the 2nd half). We're close, but the defense needs to go up a notch and the offense another 2-3 themselves.

Elite B1G programs like Ohio st go from Carlos Hyde(2nd round) to Ezekiel Elliot early round guy. Wisconsin went from Montee Ball(2nd round) to Melvin ?Gordon early round guy etc the B1G is about having the gamebreaking Horse behind them very good Offensive Lines. I see a big drop off from Cobb NFLer to Williams Arena league if he's lucky.

Elite B1G programs like Ohio st go from Carlos Hyde(2nd round) to Ezekiel Elliot early round guy. Wisconsin went from Montee Ball(2nd round) to Melvin ?Gordon early round guy etc the B1G is about having the gamebreaking Horse behind them very good Offensive Lines. I see a big drop off from Cobb NFLer to Williams Arena league if he's lucky.

What's your gig on RW35? He has been effective and Kill feels he is the best option. Are you so sure Smith is better just because of what the birdies said?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's your gig on RW35? He has been effective and Kill feels he is the best option. Are you so sure Smith is better just because of what the birdies said?

Why do you think Iowa has fell off? There offensive line was outstanding but there RB's are Big and Slow.

I see a minimal dropoff in tailback production in fact I think the running game will probably be a bit better.

Why? are replacing an NFL guy with an NFL guy? if not your logic is flawed.

Roderick is one of the most improved guys on offense this spring. He is a new man. Have you seen him once this spring? He is the quickest, most agile and the fastest he has been since he has been here. Rodney Smith is leaps and bounds better than Kirkwood. His vision and patience is equal if not better than Cobb's. Good lateral ability too. Better run blocking O-line especially with Campion at OG etc.

Roderick is one of the most improved guys on offense this spring. He is a new man. Have you seen him once this spring? He is the quickest, most agile and the fastest he has been since he has been here. Rodney Smith is leaps and bounds better than Kirkwood. His vision and patience is equal if not better than Cobb's. Good lateral ability too. Better run blocking O-line especially with Campion at OG etc.

Big backs look great in the Spring because there teammates arent allowed to tackle them below the waste. So having to tackle him high feeds into his strength..YCU and company not coming at him high, its going to be chopper city but well revisit this thread during the season

Big backs look great in the Spring because there teammates arent allowed to tackle them below the waste. So having to tackle him high feeds into his strength..YCU and company not coming at him high, its going to be chopper city but well revisit this thread during the season

I wasn't really even talking about his power or tackle breaking ability.

Should also note that RB is one of if not the easiest position to transition to new players in football.

Yea from 2 yrs ago. last yr was still 8-5 with a bowl loss and an 11th consecutive lose to Wisconsin. So are we going to take the next step this yr with 1 of the most critical positions on the team RB going from a early to middle round NFL er to an Arena league guy?

Well...with the murderer's row schedule Wisconsin had last season...the gophers were able to score on the Buckeyes. We get you at TCF this season. Your non-performance last year during 59-0, losing Gordon, nearly choking vs a goph team with a hobbled Cobb has to make you a bit nervous.

Rodney smith will be a good back. Comparable to Clement. Jeff Jones is better than anyone on the Badger roster. We'll be fine.

414GopherFan seems to be the new MaroonedInCA style <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">Badger</span> "Gopher" fan.

BTW agree with the OP. I see no drop off at RB or D. It's the positions that have perennially lagged with this staff at the U, WR and QB, that are holding the team back and need to take the next step.

414GopherFan seems to be the new MaroonedInCA style <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">Badger</span> "Gopher" fan.

Thats what I was thinking. Glad that he hasn't posted since the bowl game or whenever. I don't think he actually was a badger fan, just a guy that defended them a ton, but a prick nonetheless.

My optimism is the reason for starting this topic. This years team should be the best Gopher Football team in many years, if not decades. JK is getting it done, and the quality of players he can backfill with is looking more solid with each season. This year we beat Wisconsin. We take Michigan again, too.

My guess on 414 is he's a Wisconsin fan but is also tied to Eric Murray somehow. Relative, friend, former coach, etc.

Williams is going to be rocksolid and we have more depth at running back then we have had in a decade. We will be fine.

It doesn't get old. It's rare to see this type of domination for a full 60 minutes between two Power 5 teams with winning records. Although Wisconsin had one of the easier schedule in FBS last season. There is usually a garbage time field goal or Clement run or something along those lines.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dZcYxWJmozA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You do realize that a few years ago that most would have questioned your sanity if you suggested that David Cobb had the talent to be the full-time starter at Rb for the Gophers. Funny, how he stepped up and reached his potential and now will be playing on Sundays in the NFL. It may be running back by committee this year or someone may separate themselves from the rest and be the next David Cobb. Either way, I think that Rb will be a position of strength again this year.

It doesn't get old. It's rare to see this type of domination for a full 60 minutes between two Power 5 teams with winning records. Although Wisconsin had one of the easier schedule in FBS last season. There is usually a garbage time field goal or Clement run or something along those lines.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dZcYxWJmozA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hehehe! I never tire of watching the complete de-tassling of these fadger c#rnh#lers. :cool02:

Let's hope we see some big time payback this year for the decades worth of agony when these bums come to town for the final regular season game.

My guess on 414 is he's a Wisconsin fan but is also tied to Eric Murray somehow. Relative, friend, former coach, etc.

Just realized his past two avatars are of Murray.

Yes. Not to mention the thrashing I took a few months back when I suggested Murray (likely my favorite player, btw) struggled more in the second half of the season compared to the first half.

With that said, comparing 414 to MaroonedInCA isn't fair. MiCA is a total prick and offers zero to this site. 414 actually has some pretty good insight - even if I don't agree with a bunch of it. One belongs on this site and the other doesn't.

Hehehe! I never tire of watching the complete de-tassling of these fadger c#rnh#lers. :cool02:

Let's hope we see some big time payback this year for the decades worth of agony when these bums come to town for the final regular season game.

If one talks to enough Wisconsin fans they fancy themselves elite. They also like to quote recent history as 414 did. If we're going to talk recent history then this historic loss will live in infamy for awhile. Wisconsin was worse than their record last year, and we let one get away from us at Camp Randall. Kill kows this team is close and Wisconsin may be down this coming season. If we can fill some (pretty gaping) holes this year will be our time.

We haven't graduated many irreplaceable players IMO. I'd hesitate to even give Maxx that title. Irreplaceable to me is someone like Tebow. Someone that you lose that you'll be waiting 10 years to forget about.

Top Bottom