So when did it all start for you?

Late comer...

I grew up during the thin years (I'm 38). I was a casual fan growing up and even when I went to school, but I never went to a game until after I graduated. In the mid '90's I got free tickets through work and enjoyed it, but wasn't hooked. One day ('01?) I went with a buddy who had a big tailgating crew and had a blast and was hooked. I have missed very few games since. I even went so far as to attend the Gophers vs. the hated Owls of FAU on my wedding day!!! And I and my wedding party wore Gopher uniforms. Maybe I went a little too far??? :)

I've held off from adding to this because I've never had that Gopher "moment". We all just grew-up following the Gophers. It's just what we did. I remember listening to Ray talk about Larry Mikan and Jim Brewer. I remember listening to a lot of guys broadcast Gopher Football on the radio.

I also remember watching highlight "replay", Gopher Football games on Saturday night on WCCO TV. There were either sponsored by "THE IRON MINING INDUSTRY OF MINNESOTA" or those guys sponsored the movie that followed. I don't remember which.

Of course those nights ended watching "The Bedtime Newz" with Dave Moore!:clap:

My first game was against Northwestern while I was in college in 75 or 76. That wasn't when it started though for me.

It always just was.

Iceland12. You are about right on. THE IRON MINING INDUSTRY OF MINNESOTA sponsored the movie following. The best part of Dave Moore's BEDTIME NEWZ was when he gave the next night's wrestling results.

I've held off from adding to this because I've never had that Gopher "moment". We all just grew-up following the Gophers. It's just what we did. I remember listening to Ray talk about Larry Mikan and Jim Brewer. I remember listening to a lot of guys broadcast Gopher Football on the radio.

I also remember watching highlight "replay", Gopher Football games on Saturday night on WCCO TV. There were either sponsored by "THE IRON MINING INDUSTRY OF MINNESOTA" or those guys sponsored the movie that followed. I don't remember which.

Of course those nights ended watching "The Bedtime Newz" with Dave Moore!:clap:

My first game was against Northwestern while I was in college in 75 or 76. That wasn't when it started though for me.

It always just was.

I think the bold describes it the best for the way it 'used to be'.

In regards to Dave Moore, wasn't Hal Scott doing the cco sports with him about then. Don't forget the Sports Peach in the Trib-the early version of 'replay'.

Iceland12. You are about right on. THE IRON MINING INDUSTRY OF MINNESOTA sponsored the movie following. The best part of Dave Moore's BEDTIME NEWZ was when he gave the next night's wrestling results.

Was it THE IRON MINING INDUSTRY OF MINNESOTA or was it
MINNESOTA MINING AND MANUFACTURING...later to become 3M.

19, I distinctly remember Iron Mining Industry, because there was always a short stint of a report about the goings on in the IM Industry before the movie started. Maybe MMM came later?

been a Gopher fan since 1940

I was in the Barbershop, in 1940 when Bruce Smith ran for 80yds to beat Michigan and Tom Harmon, have been a fan of all Gopher sports 70yrs.

I was in the Barbershop, in 1940 when Bruce Smith ran for 80yds to beat Michigan and Tom Harmon, have been a fan of all Gopher sports 70yrs.

I remember tripping over Smith's Heisman trophy at gatherings in the Smith residence in Alex when I was in high school. It really was used as a door stop.

My dad took me to a game in 1949. I've followed the Gophers since then. I was away at college when they were national champs and won the Rose Bowl the next year, and then I was in the Army in Korea when they shared the Big Ten title in 1967. I still believe we will win a Big Ten title again sometime.

Top Bottom