So when did it all start for you?

I was a freshman in 1965. Being from a small town, Cloquet, I thought I'd join the "card section" since I didn't know anyone. Had a blast in old Memorial and we had good teams. Too many dead brain cells now to remember names (think Carl Eller was my dorm floor monitor) but believe Griese beat us out for the Rose Bowl. But the excitement of the campus on game day was unbelievable. Never forget the atmosphere. But then the program went south and they destroyed it by moving to the dome, off campus. Both of my kids graduated from the U and if I did not take them to a game, they'd never have seen one. BB was much bigger and hockey was as well. Incidentally, bought my season tix after Brewster's press conference. He pumped me up and I thought he could restore us to prominence so I jumped. Shows you my intelligence huh... Nothing like the atmosphere of a winning football team college campus on game day...hope we can experience the "high" again.

I can remember attending the Minnesota State Fair in about 1974???? and looking at the U of M Sports booth under the Grandstand. My dad was watching the Highlight film showing the basketball team's highlights!! He was in a trance due the fact that this was WAY before the days of ESPN!!! He was like a little kid and did not want to leave. I saw the love in his eyes and the heard the passion in his questions to me to stay with him and view the highlights! I am sure the football team had a highlight film too!! But, that day will always stick with me and that was the day I fell in love with the Gophers!!

I too do remember riding in an old pick up truck chasing the wiley rooster with my dad!!!

I graduated from HS the same year as Darryl Thompson! I wanted to grow up a gopher ever since I can remember.

After all I would rather the Gophers win a Rose then the Vikes win a Super.

Haugy#33...Now you know why it is cool to be an "OLD FART"!!!!! Regardless of what some pups claim, I do love young people. I was one once. Hopefully most of them eventually become "OLD FARTS", maybe then they will know what I mean. (Point of emphasis...you should use than instead of then when comparing two different scenarios, use then as an element of time. :)) Example: If the Gophers win the Rose Bowl before the Vikings win a Super Bowl, then I will be happy.

Growing up I was always more of a pro football guy than college guy. I cheered for the Gophers, but only went to one game as a child - in the Ohio State section (I was born in Ohio, raised in Minnesota, my parents had friends who are die hard Ohio State fans). I always liked college basketball, and i would watch Gopher basketball games on TV, and on the radio. The Final Four run we didn't have turned me towards being supportive of the U. The '99 Penn State game was awesome to watch, though it was still one of the few Gopher football games I watched when I was younger. In 2000, I enrolled at the U, and bought season tickets. I really didn't have much fun at the games - none of my friends at the U were big football fans, so I would go with random high school friends who liked football. In 2002, I joined the Greek system at the U. Several people in the fraternity went to the majority of the game, and we tailgated. It was a blast. The amazing start to the 2003 season really made me fall in love with the program, and I would even say the devastating loss to Michigan probably cemented how much I cared for the Gophers. I have never been, and probably will never be so upset after a game. The Vikings losses in the NFC Championship games and the Texas Tech debacle are the only ones that come close. Anyhow, I have watched almost every game since, and attended the majority of games. Paving the way to a small extent, was my next door neighbor who played for the Gophers in the late 50's and early 60's.

1949. Listening to the Gophers on radio in our farm house kitchen. Nomilli, Soltau, Grant, Tonnemaker, Bye. Then going to a game on band day circa '52-'56. Trying to pick up the games on the car radio ('61-'66) when I worked in Michigan. Season ticket holder since '72. I have got to be the oldest fart in this thread bar none.

I have got to be the oldest fart in this thread bar none.

GO4FAN65... Congratulations, just don't let the pups pick on ya. :)

My First Gopher Game . . .

was in October 1959. I had earned a trip to Memorial Stadium after I successfully sold enough subscriptions to the Mpls Star and Tribune. Our paper group stayed at the Curtis Hotel. The Gophers defeated Indianam24-14. Sandy Stephens was the starting quarterback as a sophomore.

Later that season, I saw the Gophers play Wisconsin (Big 10 Champs) tough only to lose, 11-7. Wisconsin's quarterback was Dale Hackbart. We stayed at the Francis Drake Hotel. The following day we watched the New York Giants play the Chicago Cardinals. The NFL was testing the Twin City waters for an expansion team, which, of course, came to fruition in 1961.

I started following the Gophers in 1955 and I've been an avid fan ever since.

Go Gophers!!

P.S. You can look forward to similar questions in my upcoming, annual GopherHole Survey.

I'm 33, so my earliest memories are Foggie and Thompson but that put me at an age I didn't really understand the game or appreciate what was going on. My fandom really took off when Darkins arrived on campus. That put me at an age where I was figuring out the game and was able to appreciate it and man did I love watching that guy play ball. He is a large part of the reason I played RB. I still get chills when I think of some of his runs.

Growing up in Austin - 12 miles from the Mason-Dixon line (MN - IA Border). Early 70's - listening to Ray on Saturday afternoon's while road hunting for rooster pheasants with my Dad. Attended by first Gopher game at Memorial circa 73. Thousands of fans, large Marching Band playing the Rouser, Rick Upchurch, the block M - I was hooked for life.

First games I listened to or watched on television featured Sandy Stephens and Bobby Bell in the early 1960s. First game I saw live was in the early 1970s.

October 18, 1969 vs. #1 OSU. Went with grandparents and my Dad. We had endzone seats in the bowl. We lost by 4 TDs.

1972, I'm shagging field goals as a 13 year old (yeah, they let kids do that) and Steve Goldberg breaks my nose on a richocheted kick. I remember seeing Nebraska the next season.

TCU 1974, we win 9-7 when a TCU FG on the last play goes right down the middle of the uprights and is called no good. Seeing Rick Upchurch will the Gophers back against OSU, only to fall short.

Julie Perlt. The greatest PA guy ever. Announcing that there is "a squirrel on the field," and then counting down the yards as it races into the end zone for a "score".

Lots of good kid memories at Memorial.

October 18, 1969 vs. #1 OSU. Went with grandparents and my Dad. We had endzone seats in the bowl. We lost by 4 TDs.

1972, I'm shagging field goals as a 13 year old (yeah, they let kids do that) and Steve Goldberg breaks my nose on a richocheted kick. I remember seeing Nebraska the next season.

TCU 1974, we win 9-7 when a TCU FG on the last play goes right down the middle of the uprights and is called no good. Seeing Rick Upchurch will the Gophers back against OSU, only to fall short.

Julie Perlt. The greatest PA guy ever. Announcing that there is "a squirrel on the field," and then counting down the yards as it races into the end zone for a "score".

Cool guy. Used to be one of the owners of Bullwinkle's. I think he's living in California now.

Another "Old Fart" here. Started listening to Gopher Football on radio in 1955 with Pinky Mcnamara the name that I remember the most. Dentist from Twin Cities came to Southwestern Minnesota on Saturdays to put braces on the teeth of some of us farm kids, always had the Gopher games on radio. First game attended was in 1957 with Bobby Cox, Dick Larsen and Rich Reese as QBs. Started season as Big Ten favorite but Cox got hurt and team went in the tank. Warmath almost got fired for playing a team without cox. Many memories of great games in the late 50s and early 60s.

Previously noted...my dad took me to the Indiana-Minnesota game in 1948 and I was hooked. I had the great privilege of following three Bierman teams, of which the 1949 bunch was the best, despite they blew Homecoming to Purdue and lost the Big Ten title and the Rose Bowl bid (the real reason Bierman was fired - not the 1950 bad record of 1-7-1). It was the "49ers" losing the title that did it. I think 13 of those on that team were drafted by the NFL. I've been a Gopher fan ever since Oct. 30, 1948.

It all started in the mid-90's. My grandmother and Grandfather, both being U of M alums, had season tickets on the 50 yard line. Even though the teams were not the greatest, I can still remember the first time I heard the Minnesota Rouser as the football team ran out as a young kid in the 3rd grade. Homecoming experiences as a child and student, the wins, the losses (sometimes too many! haha) all have formed a life long passion for the 'U' which eventually led me to enroll as a undergrad there. These experiences in my youth inspired me to attend the U and am now an alum. No matter where I am at, I will always have much love for my home states institution and my Alma Mater. Go Gophers!

1970 or 1971, listening to Ray describe the exploits of Craig Curry at QB.

I remember learning the rouser at Clem Haskins basketball camps and my first football game was in 96 I saw the gophers stomp NE Louisiana for my 11th birthday.

I was have probably been a fan my whole life, it's just the way my papa raised me. But I think I became a gopher rube/kool aid drinker when Brew got hired. His over the top rhetoric changed my expectations for the team and thus my support for it.

It's real and it's raw and sometimes it's real raw....

'86 Michigan

I dont have a great story to match the old farts, but they might appreciate that I gave up my place at the historic opening of TCF so that my dad could take 3 fellas from his building to the game. They had been exchanging stories for about a dozen years about games at memorial watching Pinky & Bob McNamara and Paul Giel I'll always remember watching it at home with my nephews - perhaps it will be the memory that makes them Gopher fans.

On the wall in my garage is a map of the US with ticket stubs to the major league parks I've been to.

Also proudly displayed is a ticket stub from TCU, Memorial Stadium, 1974. Wow, what are the odds?

Was that a band day? I think I went as part of my HS marching band to band day. Had been listening to Ray every Saturday growing up and remember being so excited to get to my first game.

1977 - Gophers beating UCLA at home. I was a teenager at the time and I remember sneaking down with my buddy and sitting in the first row at Memorial Stadium right in front of the UCLA cheerleaders :D This was the same year they went on to beat #1 Michigan at home as well as Washington - I believe that year's 2 Rose Bowl participants. Also throw in defeating Wisconsin at home made for a sweet year!

Went to a game in 1966, high school lettermens club, against Purdue and Bob Griese.

I feel younger now.:cool02:

That was my first game too.
I was 12 at the time, & it was part of our end of season banquet in our Pop Warner league.
It blew my friggen mind!

Two Points for the Billd's

Moved to MSP from Atlanta in June '89 to attend UM. I am a UGA grad too and went to a whole bunch of bowl games for the Dawgs in the late 70s and all thru the 80s. Saw Herschel and Kevin Butler play...lots of fun.

I was very excited to be at a Big 10 school but admittedly didn't know much about Minnesota. Mrs. Billd and I decided we would be Gophers and got new Gopher duds to see UM vs Nebraska at the Dome. Wasn't "Between the Hedges," but hey, buying beer at a college FB game was alright...and I'd been to the SuperDome three times for Sugar Bowls...so being under a roof was not outside my realm of experience.

Once inside and seated, we noted folks were pretty old around us. We yelled and cheered anyway, but it didn't take long to see the reality...

Final Score: Nebraska 48 Minnesota 0.

At the end of the game I looked at Mrs. Billd and said: "This is not the quality of football to which we are accustomed."

After that tried to be a Gopher...but we had cable so it was more fulfilling to follow UGA and SEC football from afar...I consider this the low part of my football-loving days. I knew the issue at UM was the lack of commitment from the top for a quality FB program...very obvious.

The Dark Years lasted until 1997 when Glen Mason was hired. What caught my attention immediately was that Mason had been UGA's coach for a week...then backed out...the year before. If Mason was good enough for Georgia, then that signaled to me that President Yudof had convinced the Regents to make a change to try and bring good football back to Minnesota.

So, from that point on I've been a born-and-bred Bulldawg (birthplace: Athens, GA) converted to a Gopher...and yes, Mrs. Billd is a Gopher fan too...and yes, we love it.

My second best Gopher fantasy (after the Rose Bowl of course) would be to go to a New Year's Day game in Florida against UGA (in a Big 10 vs. SEC matchup). I'd be a Gopher at the game with all my Bulldawg friends. It would be that year's 2nd Largest Cocktail Party.

Go Gophers! Minnesota Dream'in for Sure!

Grandpa and his brother went to the U in the 50's. Only alums in my family. From a young age I grew up bleeding maroon and gold. Always had gopher stuff around and was raised up cheering for them :) Never a question of who I cheer for.

Man there are some old farts on this board :) I always picture the under 40 crowd, but not always the case.

Throw me in with the old farts. Began listening to the Gopher games with my dad in 1949 (age 6). Still yearn to hear Halsey Hall do one more broadcast. Began reading Sid's columns in early 50's. Loved the Sports Peach section in the Strib in the 50's, and the sequential big play photos of the Goph's games on Sunday morning. Went to my first game in 1956 (7-0 loss to Iowa). Attended all the home games while student in early 60's as a student. Having witnessed some of the Glory Years makes it all the harder to have experienced the last 43 years of futility. However, at least us old farts have a reference point.

Go Gophers!

On the wall in my garage is a map of the US with ticket stubs to the major league parks I've been to.

Also proudly displayed is a ticket stub from TCU, Memorial Stadium, 1974. Wow, what are the odds?

Was that a band day? I think I went as part of my HS marching band to band day. Had been listening to Ray every Saturday growing up and remember being so excited to get to my first game.

That is funny. I was 15. We were right behind the goalposts and that ball was clearly good. We all looked at each other and went "wha?". I also remember that TCU was really bad that year (ended up 1-10 and were 3-8 in 1973) and they were inside our 10 four times but got only 3 FGs.

I save all my ticket stubs as well. I didn't really start until 1975 or so, but I have lots of Minnesota Kicks, Gophers, Twins, Vikes, Stars from that era...

I remember seeing the Gophers on TV when I was a kid around 65 or 66. The hook was set when I moved to Minnesota in 1977 and attending the "U" in 79. I remember going into the Big Ten bar and seeing Dungy highlights on the TV they had. I then got student tickets or went with my dad who got tickets from a neighbor. Since then, the passion for Gopher football grows even stronger. Too many memories from the first experience to spell out. Still building those memories!!

Oct.4,1952 Gophers Vs Cal Golden Bears. Gophers 13 Bears 49. Hooked from then.

My earliest memory of going to my first game was the last homecoming game at the old Memorial Stadiumin 1981 against Northwestern for my 12th birthday. I believe Cooper (TE) catching a td pass or pass in that game. Fun times!

As early as I can remember, maybe 5 or 6, my dad would listen to the Gophers every Saturday on the radio, and then on Sunday we'd look at the pictures of the game in the Tribune peach section. The pictures were pretty cool because someone would diagram plays right on a photograph. I didn't go to my first game until 1970 and I can't recall missing a game until 1983 when I moved out of state.

Not even sure I should admit to any of this. I'm a recent convert. I grew up in Bemidji and never really got into college football. Was always an NFL guy.
I went to UW-Madison during the "Ron Dayne = God" era. It was so incredibly over the top, that I had no interest in going to a football game.
A few years ago, during law school (Wm Mitchell), I got bored and read about Brewster. Was intrigued and started following - thinking "Hey, this guy can turn the program around. All he needs is a couple quality coordinators." Ah, well. Have done my best to follow along on-line.

I may been a UW grad, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm a Minnesotan.

Great thread, and reminder that we are all in this together.

Go Gophers:cheer:

Top Bottom