Singleton said that switching back to Sout Car. is possible

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this quote in Monter's article:

Singleton has yet to take an official visit to South Carolina and said a change back to the Gamecocks is not out of the realm of possibility. "I don't know," Singleton said. "Anything is possible."

Go Gophers!!

Singleton has yet to take an official visit to South Carolina and said a change back to the Gamecocks is not out of the realm of possibility. "I don't know," Singleton said. "Anything is possible."

Go Gophers!!

This is such a strange comment. I could see if he committed right after his visit, while MN was fresh in his head, and really excited...and possibly swathing later on, as time went on. But he's waited over a month to commit to Minnesota, since his visit, and now he could switch again...and is still taking his visit to South Carolina? The timing of this commitment seems weird to me. Why not just wait until he takes all of his visits and knows 100%...unless he had pressure to commit right now?

I could see Spurrier not allowing him back even if he wanted to go back.

I don't know how college coaches can keep their sanity in today's world of recruiting.

Reading between the lines, I'm getting the feeling that he wants to go to South Carolina but they've cooled on him a bit and they want to see who else commits first (ala Turmour Battle with the Gophers) and he decided he wanted a sure thing (aka, the Gophers) but at the same time would be willing to switch if South Carolina ultimately has room for him.

Then why do you even commit in the first place? I don't understand someone committing then also saying something like that.

Then why do you even commit in the first place? I don't understand someone committing then also saying something like that.

I think it's called CYA. These kids get offers, and a lot of pressure to accept them, and know that if they don't, their offer will get pulled. It's just like how football programs have their A and B lists. Kids have to have a back-up plan too. This way, they commit, they know a school really can't pull their offer...and are still open to schools they'd rather go to.

Even look at Sheldon Richardson, he's a 5 star now, and could have his pick of schools. When I asked him why he committed to Mizzou (the 1st time), he said it was because they offered him in Sophomore year, he didn't have any offers and accepted. You can't blame him, going to school on a full-ride is something you don't turn down. Now that he's a top recruit, he has his pick of schools - and was exploring his options. He ended up at Mizzou, but a lot of them don't.

It would be great if we live in a recruiting world where "your word was your bond," but we don't...and these kids have to cover their azzes, just as much as the schools do. That's why it's great getting these guys to verbal, but I really can't get excited until they sign on the dotted line. I think it's great that we have a number of players that have already signed, those are the ones it's not premature to get pumped about!

Wow...all these twists and turns are making me dizzy!!!!:p

It's like a day-to-day soap opera with some of these kids. I hope Singleton sticks with us, but I have to admit, things are getting a little too complicated for my taste. :eek:

I know there are many pros and cons with this issue, but I would like to see a kid be able to sign a LOI once he decides on a school. At least have an early signing day. Its outrageous all the money and time schools spend on recruiting. Give each student 3 official visits which would require them to do more research on their own.

Schools should have more restrictions on their recruitment practices as well as offers are pulled which makes it tough on the athlete too.

There has to be a better system.

Go Gophers!!

this is odd. there is another article out there that specifically addresses this issue, and Singleton states that he is shutting down his recruitment, including no more visits, even though some schools are still pressing.

while uSC may have been cooling on him, word for a while on some national boards is that Spurrier really liked him and that he was still a priority for his team.

last, apparently ESPN likes Singleton more than Gainer. Not sure i agree, but there are some that would say ESPN got it right.

all i know for sure, is go gophers.

Reading between the lines, I'm getting the feeling that he wants to go to South Carolina but they've cooled on him a bit and they want to see who else commits first (ala Turmour Battle with the Gophers) and he decided he wanted a sure thing (aka, the Gophers) but at the same time would be willing to switch if South Carolina ultimately has room for him.

I don't agree with you here. At a minimum, your example is a bad one because Turmour Battle doesn't have an offer from us. South Carolina gave Singleton an offer before knowing who else would commit and the Gophers held off on Battle and told him we want 5 DB's in this class and we already have offers outstanding. If those offers are not accepted we will offer you. South Carolina very well may have cooled on him, but they didn't pull the offer. If South Carolina has called less frequently lately it would be because they have been able to get a ton of really good LB prospects in this class.

It could also be the alternate situation that Minnesota coaches successfully convinced him that he has a much better chance to play at Minnesota. Last week Coach Butler went down to Florida to meet with him. I bet he showed him tape of Simoni Lawrence and said, son, this is how we want to use you. You'll have the chance to play in coverage and blitz and you won't have to beat out 5 other LB's in your class to do it. Lawrence is gone next season, we have Keanon Cooper, Spencer Reeves, Gary Tinsley, and possibly Rallis as guys in the program today that you will compete with for 2 outside LB positions. We'll bring you in as a freshman, probably red shirt you to add weight or you will have the opportunity to contribute on special teams, and then it will be an open competition to start in your second year on campus.

I'm really curious when Minnesota fans are going to realize we have a coaching staff of elite recruiters that have a good story to sell to recruits. When we take a recruit away from other programs it doesn't mean the other program did something wrong, it may just mean we won a battle.

I'm really curious when Minnesota fans are going to realize we have a coaching staff of elite recruiters that have a good story to sell to recruits. When we take a recruit away from other programs it doesn't mean the other program did something wrong, it may just mean we won a battle.

Amen, Brother grunkiejr. It will take a while for most. This is a shock to the system of Gopher fans.

Top Bottom