Signings 2022 Class

Better hope the recruits are as good as advertised because there isn't much to like otherwise with Gopher women's hoops.

They’re already signed.
Breaking the Letter of Intent and sitting out a year could be worth it: less agony, focus on getting a good start on education, and becoming stronger, more mature, and better athletically.

And those recruits can also say "I see lots of opportunities to jump in and make this team better". They aren't going to break letters of intent.

How many of the signees will/can the team afford to lose if they fire Whalen?

I cant realistically think of any scenarios where Wayzata can win. Foul trouble, nah.. Hopkins is too deep, too many weapons and are probable motivated from last years upset to Chaska which looking back not sure how that happened..
I root for the teams that build through a traveling program. I think it would be a great, wide open tournament if Hopkins wasnt in it, every game would generate a lot of excitement. Right now teams focus if they make it to state is to avoid Hopkins in the first round.

Last edited:

If you live in the NW metro and get CCX, they are airing the game later tonight (with other repeat airings). I'm not sure if they will have it available to stream live on their site.

Would someone let us know how this game turns out? Thanks.

How did our recruits do?
Mara had 19 points and Amaya had 8.

Nia Holloway and her Eden Prairie team will try to advance to state tonight. They play Shakopee, who upset Chaska.

How did our recruits do?
Battle did what she does, 8 pts a bunch of rebounds and assists and played really good defense. Mara was really good up until about 7 mins left and then she went cold and Hopkins turned a 6 pt lead into a 18 pt win. Heres the link to the game if anyone wants to watch it, high level hs game.

If you can’t make it to Holy Angels on Saturday, you can stream the games and Miss Basketball announcement.

Nia Holloway and Amaya Battle collect Minneapolis Athena Awards:

Charles Hallman:

The Minneapolis Athena Awards, now in its half-century year, first came about in 1972 after the Greater Minneapolis Chamber of Commerce proposed recognizing local female high school athletes. The first awards luncheon was held in February 1973. When the Chamber dropped its support in 1990, the Athena Awards Committee became a 501(c)(3) organization and kept up its mission.

Its 50th annual Minneapolis Athena Awards ceremony was held May 6 at Brooklyn Center’s Earle Brown Heritage Center and honored 55 female athletes. We were there thanks to an email from Annique London pointing out that “Many of the City winners are African American females.” She suggested that the event might make a good story.

Of the 55 winners, seven this year are Black females.

“A lot of times we get overlooked for these types of things, and I was glad to see that a good amount of us are here,” said Hopkins senior Amaya Battle.

Added Anya London (Minneapolis Southwest), “It’s pretty amazing being here…all the big stars that are around—very, very talented people and athletes here. I just feel so honored that coaches and the athletic director nominated me for this, and I’m here and it’s just really surreal.”

“It’s like a really big honor at my school,” noted Eden Prairie’s Nia Holloway. “It’s just such a great honor…and it’s really cool that women of color continue to succeed.”

Shean’ Areial Miller (Edison), Alexandria McNeill (North), Laubenra Ben (Park Center), and I’Tianna Salaam (DeLaSalle) are the other Black winners. Adriana Cardoso Hilguera (Columbia Heights) and Joana Enriquez Lopez round out the nine women POC Athena Award recipients.

It’s not certain if this is a record, but it’s still very noteworthy.

“It’s interesting as they were coming in,” observed Faith Johnson-Patterson, a 1980 Athena winner, now HOF girls’ basketball coach. “It was the first thought on my mind—wow! I can’t believe all the African American females that were selected for this award. I was beyond proud.”

Lisa Lissmore, who recently retired as Minnesota State High School League associate director, added, “When you start looking at all these beautiful women, particularly the women of color here, it is phenomenal and I’m so happy to be in this space.”

By contrast, seven POC females were among the 48 St. Paul Athena winners honored April 20 at Vadnais Heights Commons.

“I can recall when Kathy Eiland [1976] was the very first African American woman to receive this award,” said Lissimore. “That’s when I became aware of this award.”

To be named your school’s top female athlete is indeed special: “I was kind of shocked… I just didn’t believe it,” said Battle. “Then after some time it kinda settled in and I was like, yeah, I won the award.”

Many Athena winners have their college selected for this fall. Battle, Holloway, Salaam and Ben are slated for Minnesota. Miller’s off to Texas Women’s University and it’s Iowa Lakes for McNeill. “I’m very, very excited,” said London, who will attend Marquette this fall.

London’s mom, Annique, said, “These young ladies deserve the attention and celebration.”

well whalen just posted it again, do we have 2 commits?

Top Bottom