Sid mentions the recruits that visited this weekend...

GopherLady

Reaction score
but somehow fails to mention the one kid that committed on his visit, Jeff Wills (unless I missed it in my sleep deprivation). I know I shouldn't expect more (and don't) - but if you're going to name the guys that visit, I would think the one that committed shouldn't be left out:

Sid

Among 10 players who visited the Minnesota campus last weekend were quarterback Moses Alipate of Bloomington Jefferson; three offensive linemen, Brooks Michel (Carmel, Ind.); Josh Campion (Fergus Falls, Minn.) and Ed Olson (Mahtomedi); and wide receiver Victor Keise of North Broward Prep in Coral Springs, Fla. Others visiting who have not committed were Eden Prairie defensive back Corey Frazier, son of Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier; defensive end Torrey Ball and defensive back Taikwon Paige from Milledgeville (Ga.) Military Academy; and defensive back Anthony Leon of College of the Sequoias in Visalia, Calif.

Sid or those who help him cobble the column are printing what seems to be press release material without insight. A commitment, he or they wouldn't have a clue. And of course the U doesn't release names of committments so whose fault is it? Every once in a while he notes a name and credits gopherillustrated.com. Again, do you actually think Sid gets on the net and checks out what they have? Or does a minion get a release from them, asking only for credit. And Viola! its in the column. The Sid Hartman Franchise is more than just Sid.

Sid is getting worse (is that possible)????

I heard him on WCCO the other morning and it made me uncomfortable. He stuttered and stammered and rambled and could not make a coherant point. It was embarassing and by the end I felt sorry for him. He needs to retire and WCCO should know better than to put him on the air. What really bothers me is that when his segments are over and they play their jingle while going to commercial (W....CC....O) they always play a blurb hilighting Sid's senility. It's getting sad.

Even worse was Sid's column from about a week ago
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/36020199.html?page=2&c=y

which includes this gem:
The only first-year Gophers football players who saw action this year were: running backs DeLeon Eskridge and Shady Salamon; receivers Brandon Green and Brodrick Smith; defensive backs Tramaine Brock and Traye Simmons; defensive end Cedric McKinley; special teamers Johnny Johnson, Tim Dandridge and Rex Sharpe.

Well, since we all know that 26 first-year guys joined this team this fall and only 5 or 6 or so are red-shirting, then Sid's missing about 8 or 9 guys at least. The most obvious omission on Sid's list was star LB Simoni Lawrence.

Occasionally, Sid will have an interesting tidbit from a conversation he's had - but those occasions are becoming rarer and rarer.

Even worse was Sid's column from about a week ago
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/36020199.html?page=2&c=y

which includes this gem:
The only first-year Gophers football players who saw action this year were: running backs DeLeon Eskridge and Shady Salamon; receivers Brandon Green and Brodrick Smith; defensive backs Tramaine Brock and Traye Simmons; defensive end Cedric McKinley; special teamers Johnny Johnson, Tim Dandridge and Rex Sharpe.

Well, since we all know that 26 first-year guys joined this team this fall and only 5 or 6 or so are red-shirting, then Sid's missing about 8 or 9 guys at least. The most obvious omission on Sid's list was star LB Simoni Lawrence.

Occasionally, Sid will have an interesting tidbit from a conversation he's had - but those occasions are becoming rarer and rarer.

Aside from Simoni Lawrence, I'm pretty sure Troy Stoudermire was our kick returner, I'm pretty sure Da'Jon McKnight caught a TD pass against OSU, I'm pretty sure I saw Pittman and Brandon both in there at receiver, I seem to remember Kirksey getting a 15 yard penalty against Wisconsin, and I swear I saw Edwards playing a lot at DT. Wasn't that Rallis that played safety when Theret sprained his ankle against Wisconsin?

Sometimes a person doesn't know when to quit. In Sid's case it was probably 5 years ago, which was probably the last time he ever had the so called "scoop" He and Mona's Sunday gig is a absolute joke. I listen to it during the football season because of Coach Brewster and catch it sometimes when Tubby is on. Other than that it's pretty bad

I love Sid. Just like I love watching 'Flava of love'. You just have to realize Sid is entertainment, not journalism. What could be more entertaining than to listen to Sid butcher names, omit players, switch locations around, name drop and act arrogant while doing it? He's a train wreck and I love him. He's like our version of Harry Carey and the local sports scene will be a much more boring and bland place when he's gone.

That said, I also have a sentimental attachment to Sid because growing up Sid WAS GopherHole. He was the ONLY source that covered recruiting on any level that I was aware of. Ah, Sunday morning ripping through the Tribune to read Sid's big column, then I'd tune in and watch Gene Okerlund host AWA wrestling at 10:00am, then pre game with Jimmy the Greek, Brent, Irv and Bronco at 11:00am, then the Vikes would kick off at 12:00pm.....good memories.

CRG - Greatest Analogy, ever!

I love Sid. Just like I love watching 'Flava of love'. You just have to realize Sid is entertainment, not journalism.

You could not have been more on the mark with this comment!

I will never bash Sid. He has been good for Gophers for decades. Let the guy exit in peace.

Actually Bayfieldgopher the best writer who covered Gopher football was Charlie "Buck" Hallman from the Pioneer Press. He always had a pre-season top 100
tabulated from the various "rags" from that time period ( much like Rivals) The top 100 included Minnesota's chances of getting a visit. You could take all the beat writers past and present and they couldn't hold a candle to Charlie. I believe he covered Gopher football up through Gutey.

I will never bash Sid. He has been good for Gophers for decades. Let the guy exit in peace.

Agreed. A reader has to realize his faults and realize when he is laying it on you for favortism. For the longest time he had the best scoops that you could find from a local sportswriter. Every other writer in the Strib seems to have a vendetta agains the Gophers so Sid sometimes feels like the only guy we have.

Sid might be a bumbling, senile 'homer', but he's OUR bumbling senile homer.

For me, sports is supposed to be fun...entertainment really. When I was a kid we had colorful, entertaining, charactors like Sid, Harry Carey, Howard Cossel, Dandy Don, Jimmy the Greek et al. Now most journalists-broadcasters are cookie cutter and vanila. Too many facts, not enough fun.

Nostalgic rant over.

Top Bottom