Sid: If Vikes play at TCF, Gophers to get $250K per game plus parking and concessions

You don't think a guy like Michael Floyd would have made a difference in at least a couple games, especially in a situation like in 2008 when Decker went down?

Look what Auburn did with Cam Newton + Nick Fairley.

Not saying we will always have those types of players available in our own backyard, and this isn't basketball where one or two guys can rocket you from worst in the league to first, but a couple of impact players in football can still make a pretty big difference.
Yes, but it is not a guarantee. You are acting like it is a guarantee.

If the Vikings leave, it is unlikely that the media focus on the NFL will decrease. The media will focus on whatever NFL team the local area covers (I think they would switch to the Packers). The media would focus on pointing fingers for the Vikings leaving, and on the efforts to get another NFL team here.

ha! and just wait and see how many viewers they would lose by pulling some stupid b.s. like that. the only desire you have in minneapolis/st. paul for packers coverage is from the unwashed, chesse-faced masses from that God forsaken state who have moved here from there.

I have to agree with DPO. Not having the Vikings here won't make the Gophers better. It might let their marketing department play golf on Fridays. They would almost certainly replace the Vikings 'above the fold' in the local media. But there are a lot of fans too that would not cross over. The drunks with the face paint at Vikings games aren't even there for the football. They're people acting out who belong in therapy. Would a coach have a shorter leash? Maybe. But for those longing for the love and adulation given to Paul Giel and Bob McNamara, it isn't coming back without wins.

badgergopher said:
I have to agree with DPO. Not having the Vikings here won't make the Gophers better. It might let their marketing department play golf on Fridays. They would almost certainly replace the Vikings 'above the fold' in the local media. But there are a lot of fans too that would not cross over. The drunks with the face paint at Vikings games aren't even there for the football. They're people acting out who belong in therapy. Would a coach have a shorter leash? Maybe. But for those longing for the love and adulation given to Paul Giel and Bob McNamara, it isn't coming back without wins.

No doubt. However, without the Vikings, the Gopher football team becomes the premier football event within a 5 hour drive.

Good riddance Vikes.

It may cause a boost in attendance and local media attention, but I don't think "Hey! We don't have an NFL team!" is going to do much to bring in out-of-state recruits.

No doubt. However, without the Vikings, the Gopher football team becomes the premier football event within a 5 hour drive.

If you meant for this to attract Badger fans you're going to get your wish I suspect.

We've seen recently that the average fan doesn't care about the Gophers even if they are winning. Case-in-point 10/18/2003 where a one-loss Gopher team in charge of their own destiny in the last half of the Big Ten Schedule drew about 35,000 to arguably their biggest conference home game since 1967.

It seems currently Gopher fans won't really get passionate unless the team wins a BIG Title. That seems about as unrealistic as suggesting the Vikings and Gophers don't have an effect on each other.

I'm not sure which side this will help, but I'll add this clarification: The game you cited was the Michigan State game, which came a week after the infamous Michigan game. The Michigan game attracted 62,000 fans. After that ridiculous, only-the-Gophers-could-do-that loss, Minnesotans went back to ignoring the Gophers.

This is redundant to what some others have said, but casual sports fans who usually ignore the Gophers would embrace a Gopher football team they can be proud of. They will come pretty quickly if the Gophers prove they can win. Then they'll leave pretty quickly if it doesn't become habit-forming. They might be a little more eager to show up without the Vikings to distract them, however.

Top Bottom