Sid: If Vikes play at TCF, Gophers to get $250K per game plus parking and concessions

There is one, and only one, way to engender significantly increased interest in, and attendance at, Gophers football games. Win. Win big. Win frequently and consistently.

With how bad everybody else in town is right now, the Gophers have a real opportunity this fall to build significant fan interest. I certainly hope they can seize the moment.

Anyone who is deluding themselves into thinking that there will be a significant increase in Gophers interest and attendance if the Vikings leave town is sadly mistaken. I have many, many friends who are fellow alums, greatly enjoy football, have plenty of disposable income, and treat the Gophers at a level slightly above total mockery and derision. And these are people who all have great reason to be financially and emotionally invested in the football program. I suspect that my situation is not unique. Out of a group of 20 or so good friends from college who are all hardcore football fans, 4 of us are season ticket holders, and 2 of those are because I practically dragged them tooth and nail to join my wife and me as a group. There is some overlap between the two fanbases, but they are mostly distinct sets. There would possibly be a slight bump from people who just love attending live football games and would have to get their fix some other way if the Vikings leave town, but that would be very small and temporary if the team's performance is as bad as it has been the last 50+ years.

There is one, and only one, way to engender significantly increased interest in, and attendance at, Gophers football games. Win. Win big. Win frequently and consistently.

I agree completely with dpodoll68. My set of friends are exactly like his and I know many others as well. I also agree the best and only way to significantly build up our fan base is by winning and winning big.

Go Gophers!!

Anyone who is deluding themselves into thinking that there will be a significant increase in Gophers interest and attendance if the Vikings leave town is sadly mistaken. I have many, many friends who are fellow alums, greatly enjoy football, have plenty of disposable income, and treat the Gophers at a level slightly above total mockery and derision. And these are people who all have great reason to be financially and emotionally invested in the football program. I suspect that my situation is not unique. Out of a group of 20 or so good friends from college who are all hardcore football fans, 4 of us are season ticket holders, and 2 of those are because I practically dragged them tooth and nail to join my wife and me as a group. There is some overlap between the two fanbases, but they are mostly distinct sets. There would possibly be a slight bump from people who just love attending live football games and would have to get their fix some other way if the Vikings leave town, but that would be very small and temporary if the team's performance is as bad as it has been the last 50+ years.

Unfortunately this is 100% true.

the best and only way to significantly build up our fan base is by winning and winning big.

And winning every year. New fans will fill the empty seats with a couple of good years, and those same fans will leave after a couple of bad years. That's why expanding the stadium doesn't make much sense. Any attendance increase will be temporary.

Perfectly put. If the Vikes leave the Gopher football program will not benefit in any way. I also know many people like your friends you referenced in your post.

Perfectly put. If the Vikes leave the Gopher football program will not benefit in any way. I also know many people like your friends you referenced in your post.

That is pretty much saying like saying if Walmart leaves town Target will not benefit in any way. Just like for Target the Gopher football program would benefit in lots of different ways. First and foremost they would own media football coverage in the Metro Area and outstate Minnesota. If the sports pages and radio sports stations want to write and talk about football the Gophers will dominate the coverage just like they did before the Vikings started going to Super Bowls. It is not going to take many more football fans to fill up the Gophers Stadium for every game and make it the place to be if you love football. Instead of begging to go to Vikings games pony league football players all over the state are going to pester their parents to take them to Gopher games.

And winning every year. New fans will fill the empty seats with a couple of good years, and those same fans will leave after a couple of bad years. That's why expanding the stadium doesn't make much sense. Any attendance increase will be temporary.
Agreed, after awhile it will become a tradition for some, if not most, of these fans. That's how you get more diehards.

That is pretty much saying like saying if Walmart leaves town Target will not benefit in any way. Just like for Target the Gopher football program would benefit in lots of different ways. First and foremost they would own media football coverage in the Metro Area and outstate Minnesota. If the sports pages and radio sports stations want to write and talk about football the Gophers will dominate the coverage just like they did before the Vikings started going to Super Bowls. It is not going to take many more football fans to fill up the Gophers Stadium for every game and make it the place to be if you love football. Instead of begging to go to Vikings games pony league football players all over the state are going to pester their parents to take them to Gopher games.

Disagree. Target and Wal-Mart are direct competitors. The Gophers and Vikings are not direct competitors for fans. Many people, like myself, follow both teams. The media might cover the Gophers more, but unless they start to compete for B1G titles, the papers and radio stations will continue to cover other teams in the NFL. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar business that people follow closely even if they don't have a "team" due to fantasy football and other things. The Gophers may gain a few casual followers, but the Vikings leaving town isn't going to make TCF Bank Stadium a happenin' place. Like dpodoll68 said, just win. And win big and consistently. Then the casual fans will start to follow this team whether the Vikes are here or not.

Of course they will have to start to win to gain additional fans. But if they do, they will be able to tap into a larger pool of fans that enjoy rooting for a winning team. I am always a little surprised how some people think there is no way Viking fans would buy Gopher tickets. As you have stated win and they will come.

100% agree with dpodoll. However, if the Vikings leave, it does open up a window of opportunity for the Gophers to capitalize on.

The overall fanbases of the Gophers and Vikings are quite a bit different. Since about 1998 or so, the Vikings fanbase has largely been people 25-45 with disposable income and that drink and party heavily. (this is true of the NFL in general). Most of these people spend a significant percentage of their entertainment dollars on the Vikings, and the gameday experience and party. I don't see the Gophers catering to that crowd or tolerating, much less encouraging, the behavior generally seen at Vikings games.

I disagree with most of you. If the Vikes leave and Gopher football improves there will be even more interest in Gopher football than usual. The U will tap into former Viking fans by marketing a winning football team and the only football team in town.

Somebody has to have some insight into what Vikings concession sales typically run.

I'm just guessing, having worked in a Metrodome stand for a non-profit before. It's probably not unheard of for one major stand to do at least $5-$10,000 per game. So I see that as at the very least another $100,000 per home game.

Parking has got to be about the same, right? $20 per spot?

At least $5 million for the season isn't too bad.

All of a sudden this adds up to a pretty nice basketball practice facility.

It would make way to much sense to do something like that and put it towards a new basketball facility which in the long run would benefit the whole AD department, I'm sure they will find a need such as a new gymnastics facility or something like that.

This is 100% true. BUT...

I respect your opinion, but the problem with your take above (a lot of people have this take) is that this take fails to take into account that not having the Vikings in this media market will help the Gophers to win, and win big.

If there is no pro football team to cover on fall weekends, there will be no doubt be an increase in the media coverage on the team in the fall. In doing so, young football players will notice the Gophers more. Instead of bolting for higher profile programs because they view the Gophers as second-tier, maybe a few high-profile players will stay at home and want to play for the team they grew up rooting for all their lives (this is how players in Iowa and Wisconsin view their teams). In turn, with better players come more wins, which means significantly increased interest in, and attendance at, Gopher Football games.

Certainly this isn't the only reason why we haven't won big in 50 years. However, one cannot dispute that if the Vikings leave it will help to increase awareness in our favorite football team, the Gophers.

Does it guarantee anything - of course not. However, because of the increased awareness it makes it easier. I am all for making things easier on the Gophers to win, aren't you?

This is 100% true. BUT...

I respect your opinion, but the problem with your take above (a lot of people have this take) is that this take fails to take into account that not having the Vikings in this media market will help the Gophers to win, and win big.

If there is no pro football team to cover on fall weekends, there will be no doubt be an increase in the media coverage on the team in the fall. In doing so, young football players will notice the Gophers more. Instead of bolting for higher profile programs because they view the Gophers as second-tier, maybe a few high-profile players will stay at home and want to play for the team they grew up rooting for all their lives (this is how players in Iowa and Wisconsin view their teams). In turn, with better players come more wins, which means significantly increased interest in, and attendance at, Gopher Football games.

Certainly this isn't the only reason why we haven't won big in 50 years. However, one cannot dispute that if the Vikings leave it will help to increase awareness in our favorite football team, the Gophers.

Does it guarantee anything - of course not. However, because of the increased awareness it makes it easier. I am all for making things easier on the Gophers to win, aren't you?

Now we are getting closer to the point.

The Gophers and the Vikings are both in the sports entertainment business - they compete for fan interest, media coverage and customer dollars.

As a GH poster stated(a couple of years ago?); if you think the only reason the Gophers have been bad is because of the Vikings you are delusional. If you think the Vikings have not affected the success of the Gophers you are delusional.-------or words to that effect. If that poster would repost, it would be appreciated.

If the Vikings were to move,there would be more money added to the Gopher coffers than if the U dropped a couple of non-revenue sports.

Now we are getting closer to the point.

The Gophers and the Vikings are both in the sports entertainment business - they compete for fan interest, media coverage and customer dollars.

As a GH poster stated(a couple of years ago?); if you think the only reason the Gophers have been bad is because of the Vikings you are delusional. If you think the Vikings have not affected the success of the Gophers you are delusional.-------or words to that effect. If that poster would repost, it would be appreciated.

If the Vikings were to move,there would be more money added to the Gopher coffers than if the U dropped a couple of non-revenue sports.

The long running success of the Vikings after Bud Grant arrived made it very easy for the U President and the Board of Regents to not care about Gopher football losses on Saturdays because Gopher fans weren't hanging Gopher coaches in effigy and demanding they be fired since they always had the Vikings to cheer for on Sundays. If you don't think that mattered then you haven't been a Gopher football fan since they last won a Big 10 Championship.

Extremely, extremely doubtful.

Again, the only way there will be any appreciable amount of "money added to the Gopher coffers" is by winning. Most Vikings fans don't care about the Gophers right now. Why are they going to suddenly start caring if the Vikings move elsewhere? By that logic, Houston and Rice should've blown up when the Oilers moved to Nashville. By that logic, Stanford should've blown up when the Raiders moved to LA. By that logic, USC and UCLA should've blown up when the Rams moved to St. Louis and the Raiders moved back to Oakland. Did any of those things happen?

The long running success of the Vikings after Bud Grant arrived made it very easy for the U President and the Board of Regents to not care about Gopher football losses on Saturdays because Gopher fans weren't hanging Gopher coaches in effigy and demanding they be fired since they always had the Vikings to cheer for on Sundays. If you don't think that mattered then you haven't been a Gopher football fan since they last won a Big 10 Championship.

What are you trying to say?

I disagree with most of you. If the Vikes leave and Gopher football improves there will be even more interest in Gopher football than usual. The U will tap into former Viking fans by marketing a winning football team and the only football team in town.

Marketing a winning football team might get a few Vikings fans interested, but when a huge segment of the Vikings fanbase is all about a booze-fueled party atmosphere 8 Sundays a year, I don't see how the U is really going to get those people interested.

attend11.JPG

This graph represents attendance at the University of Houston Cougars football games. The Houston Oilers moved after the 1996 NFL season, so the University of Houston's attendance should've shot through the roof beginning in 1997, right? Wrong. Their win totals from 1997-2001 were 3, 3, 7, 3, and 0, and despite the complete absence of an NFL team during those years, their average attendance was actually lower than during the previous 5-year period, even though the Oilers were in town during that entire period. These football-starved folks should've been attending the Cougar games in force, right?

Surprisingly, when they've started being good again the last 6 years (win totals of 10, 8, 8, 10, 5, and 13), the attendance has increased correspondingly. I, for one, am shocked! Their 2011 average attendance was basically double that of their 2005 average attendance, despite the Texans being in town the entire time (and the 2011 Texans being much, much better than the 2005 Texans). If the Texans have been getting better and better, surely people would want to attend the Texans games and would give up going to the Cougars games, right? So how do you explain the 2011 Cougar average attendance being double that of the 2005 average attendance? I'm thoroughly baffled as to the answer. Can some of you math majors help me?

Face it, folks. Casual fans want to invest money, emotion, and time in a winner. Many like to grasp at straws and pretend that there's a shortcut. There isn't. Win and they will come. The presence or absence of the Vikings is almost entirely irrelevant.

Extremely, extremely doubtful.

Again, the only way there will be any appreciable amount of "money added to the Gopher coffers" is by winning. Most Vikings fans don't care about the Gophers right now. Why are they going to suddenly start caring if the Vikings move elsewhere? By that logic, Houston should've blown up when the Oilers moved to Nashville. By that logic, Stanford should've blown up when the Raiders moved to LA. By that logic, USC and UCLA should've blown up when the Rams moved to St. Louis and the Raiders moved back to Oakland. Did any of those things happen?

Doubtful? How much money would be saved by dropping a non-rev sport?(I used that as an example because many refer to this as a huge financial problem) Not that large of a number, as many have pointed out. You don't think the Vikes leaving would have as much financial effect on U football?

Point being the Vikes leaving would have a positive impact on the Gopher program. As much as winning? Of course not. Winning is by far the #1 point on the list, but not the only one.

If the Vikes get their new stadium there will be many more suites than what the dome has. This will be more competition for the Gophers and TCF Stadium.

As far as the bold; where the hell did that come from.

Doubtful? How much money would be saved by dropping a non-rev sport?(I used that as an example because many refer to this as a huge financial problem) Not that large of a number, as many have pointed out. You don't think the Vikes leaving would have as much financial effect on U football?

Yes, for perhaps 1-2 seasons. "Let's check it out because we don't have any other high-level football to watch." If the Gophers aren't winning, those fans will go away as quickly as they came.

Point being the Vikes leaving would have a positive impact on the Gopher program. As much as winning? Of course not. Winning is by far the #1 point on the list, but not the only one.

Winning is almost entirely the sole factor. There are other factors, but they are fleeting and minuscule.

If the Vikes get their new stadium there will be many more suites than what the dome has. This will be more competition for the Gophers and TCF Stadium.

As illustrated above, the presence and/or success of an NFL team is almost entirely irrelevant to the attendance and fortunes of a local D-I college football teams. It really is not much more complicated than "Win and they will come". You're again succumbing to the fatal logic that the Gophers and Vikings are competitors. They aren't.

As far as the bold; where the hell did that come from.

I don't understand the question. (Assuming that it was a question, since you never actually use question marks.) These are all examples of NFL teams moving away and that fact having little-to-no effect on the fates of the local college teams. It is 100% relevant to the discussion.

attend11.JPG

This graph represents attendance at the University of Houston Cougars football games. The Houston Oilers moved after the 1996 NFL season, so the University of Houston's attendance should've shot through the roof beginning in 1997, right? Wrong. Their win totals from 1997-2001 were 3, 3, 7, 3, and 0, and despite the complete absence of an NFL team during those years, their average attendance was actually lower than during the previous 5-year period, even though the Oilers were in town during that entire period. These football-starved folks should've been attending the Cougar games in force, right?

Where the H did that come from? Has anyone ever stated Gopher Football attendance 'would shoot through the roof'?

Stating the Vikings leaving would have a positive effect on the Gopher program is not the same as saying attendance 'would shoot through the roof'. At least not in my world.

What are you trying to say?

Let me put it another way. When the Gopher football program went downhill in the 1950's after winning 6 National Championships in the 1930's and 1940's Gopher football fans all over Minnesota were not happy and they were very vocal about it. The U President and Board of Regents could not afford to ignore the criticism when Gopher football coverage filled up multiple pages of every major newspaper in Minnesota every day of the week. As a result, the U hired the right coach, who put the right coaching staff together, who went out and recruited players who could compete on an equal basis with every team in the Big 10 until they won their last Big 10 Championship in 1967 (which not coincidentally) was Bud Grant's first year as Vikings coach).

Bud had the Vikings playing in Super Bowls by 1970 while Murray Warmath had some lean years that previously would have caused a huge amount of concern and criticism by Gopher fans. Except it didn't happen. By 1970 most Gopher fans (including me) were all in with the Vikings and their year in and year out success that has continued with few interruptions until now. After the Vikings started going to the Super Bowl on a regular basis every football fan I personally knew stopped talking and caring about the Gopher football team. My friends used to roll their eyes and make jokes whenever I wanted to talk about the Gophers during the Viking glory years in the 1970's.

It all happened that quickly. Except for their Saturday games the Gophers were all but pushed off the sports pages by the seven days a week Vikings coverage. By 1975 (less than ten years after their last Big 10 Championship) Gopher football had become all but irrelevant for the large majority of football fans in Minnesota because they had their Vikings to cheer for.

Bud had the Vikings playing in Super Bowls by 1970 while Murray Warmath had some lean years that previously would have caused a huge amount of concern and criticism by Gopher fans. Except it didn't happen. By 1970 even Gopher fans (including me) were all in with the Vikings year in and year out success during the entire 1970's. After the Vikings started going to the Super Bowl on a regular basis every football fan I personally knew stopped talking and caring about the Gopher football. My friends used to roll their eyes and make jokes whenever I wanted to talk about the Gophers.

It all happened that quickly Except for their Saturday games the Gophers were all but pushed off the sports pages by the seven days a week Vikings coverage. By 1975 (less than ten years after their last Big 10 Championship) Gopher football had become all but irrelevant for the large majority of football fans in Minnesota.

All of this happened because the Gophers sucked. It had nothing to do with the Vikings being good. If the Gophers were still competing for national titles in the 1970s and 1980s, they would've garnered just as much media coverage as they did during the 1950s and 1960s.

You're again succumbing to the fatal logic that the Gophers and Vikings are competitors. They aren't.

Depends on what you're talking about. I'd agree on the whole that for casual fans this is true. But every pro team in town is a competitor for the Gophers when it comes to money spent on suites and other premium seating, much of which is purchased by local companies.

Depends on what you're talking about. I'd agree on the whole that for casual fans this is true. But every pro team in town is a competitor for the Gophers when it comes to money spent on suites and other premium seating, much of which is purchased by local companies.

You're correct. I took it to be understood that I meant "competitors for individual fans", which I shouldn't have. Thank you for the clarification.

Let me put it another way. When the Gopher football program went downhill in the 1950's after winning 6 National Championships in the 1930's and 1940's Gopher football fans all over Minnesota were not happy and they were very vocal about it. The U Presidents and Board of Regents could not afford to ignore the criticism when Gopher football coverage filled up multiple pages of every major newspaper in Minnesota every day of the week. As a result, the U hired the right coach, who put the right coaching staff together, who went out and recruited players who could compete on an equal basis with every team in the Big 10 for a ten year period until they won their last Big 10 Championship in 1967 (which not coincidentally) was Bud Grant's first year as Vikings coach).

Bud had the Vikings playing in Super Bowls by 1970 while Murray Warmath had some lean years that previously would have caused a huge amount of concern and criticism by Gopher fans. Except it didn't happen. By 1970 even Gopher fans (including me) were all in with the Vikings year in and year out success during the entire 1970's. After the Vikings started going to the Super Bowl on a regular basis every football fan I personally knew stopped talking and caring about the Gopher football. My friends used to roll their eyes and make jokes whenever I wanted to talk about the Gophers.

It all happened that quickly Except for their Saturday games the Gophers were all but pushed off the sports pages by the seven days a week Vikings coverage. By 1975 (less than ten years after their last Big 10 Championship) Gopher football had become all but irrelevant for the large majority of football fans in Minnesota.

I know and I remember all those years.

If people don't think the Vikings are competition to the Gophers they are sadly mistaken.

Yes they could both thrive, and yes they could both fail. Never the less they are competition.

Top Bottom