Sid: If Vikes play at TCF, Gophers to get $250K per game plus parking and concessions

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

"Deal made with U

Should a Vikings stadium be built and the team needs to play for a year at the University of Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium, a deal has been made in which the Vikings would rent the stadium for $250,000 per game.

In addition, the university would get all income from parking and concessions.

If the Vikings want to install heating coils under the field to make the field playable in all weather, they would pay for that and any other capital improvements they want to make, including providing additional seating capacity."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/147520465.html

Go Gophers!!

This deal right here is the only reason I like the Dome site for the new stadium.

per Sid:

"Deal made with U

Should a Vikings stadium be built and the team needs to play for a year at the University of Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium, a deal has been made in which the Vikings would rent the stadium for $250,000 per game.

In addition, the university would get all income from parking and concessions.

If the Vikings want to install heating coils under the field to make the field playable in all weather, they would pay for that and any other capital improvements they want to make, including providing additional seating capacity."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/147520465.html

Go Gophers!!

Any clarification on whether this money goes to the AD, football, or is dumped into the general fund never to be seen again?
As grinning glen said on KFAN, any vikings deal on campus will hurt the football program, will be a distraction for the football program, etc. Therefore money taken in from a vikings deal needs to be appropriated towards helping the football program.

Any clarification on whether this money goes to the AD, football, or is dumped into the general fund never to be seen again?
As grinning glen said on KFAN, any vikings deal on campus will hurt the football program, will be a distraction for the football program, etc. Therefore money taken in from a vikings deal needs to be appropriated towards helping the football program.

No links here, just guesses. Parking revenue will go to the PTS coffers like it does for all events on campus. It's a pretty safe bet that the dept gets the money from concessions since it's an athletic facility. I'd think the same is true of the rental fee since it's an athletic department facility. But the only thing I'm sure of is that PTS gets the parking money.

I don't see why the Vikings being on campus for a single year does anything to hurt the program. That strikes me as traumatic flashbacks from Glen's days in the Dome.

The Vikings playing at TCF is money in the bank. I don't see the harm to the team. It's good money, and good publicity for the U.

250K seems like a low rental fee to me. MV figured out that'd be $4.55 per ticket. The vikes can do better than that.

250K seems like a low rental fee to me. MV figured out that'd be $4.55 per ticket. The vikes can do better than that.
The Vikings also need to make some money. No revenue coming in from concessions means it needs to be made from the tickets.

You have to factor the concessions and parking into that equation as well.

I'm not sure anyone wants to see the Vikings get fleeced, and it's true the concessions and parking give the U of M more money (although i also think it is ridiculous that the Transportation dept. will be getting the parking money, but that's a whole other kettle of fish).

But to quote MV here it's about half what the Vikings are paying to play games at the Dome.

Also just me thinking as I type, I wonder how much the Gophers paid to play in the Dome by comparison, I'd wager that it was more.

I'm not sure anyone wants to see the Vikings get fleeced, and it's true the concessions and parking give the U of M more money (although i also think it is ridiculous that the Transportation dept. will be getting the parking money, but that's a whole other kettle of fish).

But to quote MV here it's about half what the Vikings are paying to play games at the Dome.

Also just me thinking as I type, I wonder how much the Gophers paid to play in the Dome by comparison, I'd wager that it was more.
The dome also has more seats already bulit in. If the Bank were to have equal seating the Vikings would have to pay for that. The Vikings probably don't have to give up any money for concessions at the Dome either.

gophergrad said:

I'm certain the Gopher's played rent free.

I'm not sure anyone wants to see the Vikings get fleeced

You obviously haven't read prior threads on this topic. They are assuredly a minority, but a vocal one in this forum.

As for the reported agreement, $2.5M for the season plus concessions, plus parking revenue, plus Viking funded amenity improvements (e.g. heating coils) seems reasonable to me. If they are going to add temporary seats, I'd like to see some arrangement made to have the Vikings help make sure they are sold and don't sit empty or become a visitor's section.

Somebody has to have some insight into what Vikings concession sales typically run.

I'm just guessing, having worked in a Metrodome stand for a non-profit before. It's probably not unheard of for one major stand to do at least $5-$10,000 per game. So I see that as at the very least another $100,000 per home game.

Parking has got to be about the same, right? $20 per spot?

At least $5 million for the season isn't too bad.

All of a sudden this adds up to a pretty nice basketball practice facility.

They would have to add more seating to the open end - crap - that would be next year when we have Buckey, Hawkeye and Corn filling up those temp seats.

Somebody has to have some insight into what Vikings concession sales typically run.

I'm just guessing, having worked in a Metrodome stand for a non-profit before. It's probably not unheard of for one major stand to do at least $5-$10,000 per game. So I see that as at the very least another $100,000 per home game.

Parking has got to be about the same, right? $20 per spot?

At least $5 million for the season isn't too bad.

All of a sudden this adds up to a pretty nice basketball practice facility.

As someone who doesn't ever go to the concessions stand (I bring my own whiskey flavored beverage...) I really never thought they would make that much. I just want to make sure that the Gophers are getting as much as they can out of this deal.

As someone who doesn't ever go to the concessions stand (I bring my own whiskey flavored beverage...) I really never thought they would make that much. I just want to make sure that the Gophers are getting as much as they can out of this deal.

My guess is, this is why this agreement can be what it is, the Gophers are gonna get as much as they can out of it.

They would have to add more seating to the open end - crap - that would be next year when we have Buckey, Hawkeye and Corn filling up those temp seats.

There ain't no way that will happen in 2013, even if it passes this year(which I don't think it will).

If it gets passed next year, or later, maybe they will wise up and change the location and the funding mechanism.

There ain't no way that will happen in 2013, even if it passes this year(which I don't think it will).

If it gets passed next year, or later, maybe they will wise up and change the location and the funding mechanism.

Exactly. Even if it passed right now and they broke ground immediately the plan was for 2 years of construction on the new stadium before the current Dome gets razed. That means they wouldn't play in TCF until at least the fall of 2014.

Exactly. Even if it passed right now and they broke ground immediately the plan was for 2 years of construction on the new stadium before the current Dome gets razed. That means they wouldn't play in TCF until at least the fall of 2014.

You have to have a plan set to break ground, which they don't have. It will take six months to a year to get to that point. Overall design and construction will take at least three years.

See the above link, middle paragraph:

"If approved this year, the stadium would aim to open in 2016; under that scenario, the Vikings would relocate for one season to the football stadium at the University of Minnesota."

You have to have a plan set to break ground, which they don't have. It will take six months to a year to get to that point. Overall design and construction will take at least three years.

See the above link, middle paragraph:

"If approved this year, the stadium would aim to open in 2016; under that scenario, the Vikings would relocate for one season to the football stadium at the University of Minnesota."

I know this. I was using the completely impossible example to point out why his fears were ridiculously unfounded.

In the meantime, the bill had a huge setback last night and probably isn't passing this session anyhow. http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/147631965.html

Except the Vikings haven't actually paid rent in years. The state forgoes it to keep them here.

Except the Vikings haven't actually paid rent in years. The state forgoes it to keep them here.

Perfect. Then they'll have a lot of money saved up to pay rent at TCF Bank.

Although as everyone else has realized this is a moot issue now as the discussion has reverted back to will the Vikes ever get a stadium.

Perfect. Then they'll have a lot of money saved up to pay rent at TCF Bank.

The question seems to be will the Vikings ever get a new stadium? The answer is clearly yes but the real question is where. My money is on L.A. The next question is what will the impact of all of this be on Gopher football. I would expect more interest and higher attendance. Then we can have a fight over expanding TCF stadium. The good news is that TCF stadium was designed and built for future expansion. It already has additional ramps built into the present stadium for this.

Lastly, it is clear that there will be no stadium bill this year during an election year. The Vikings will try one more time after the elections and if they fail then they will be gone.

Anyone who is deluding themselves into thinking that there will be a significant increase in Gophers interest and attendance if the Vikings leave town is sadly mistaken. I have many, many friends who are fellow alums, greatly enjoy football, have plenty of disposable income, and treat the Gophers at a level slightly above total mockery and derision. And these are people who all have great reason to be financially and emotionally invested in the football program. I suspect that my situation is not unique. Out of a group of 20 or so good friends from college who are all hardcore football fans, 4 of us are season ticket holders, and 2 of those are because I practically dragged them tooth and nail to join my wife and me as a group. There is some overlap between the two fanbases, but they are mostly distinct sets. There would possibly be a slight bump from people who just love attending live football games and would have to get their fix some other way if the Vikings leave town, but that would be very small and temporary if the team's performance is as bad as it has been the last 50+ years.

There is one, and only one, way to engender significantly increased interest in, and attendance at, Gophers football games. Win. Win big. Win frequently and consistently.

Anyone who is deluding themselves into thinking that there will be a significant increase in Gophers interest and attendance if the Vikings leave town is sadly mistaken. I have many, many friends who are fellow alums, greatly enjoy football, have plenty of disposable income, and treat the Gophers at a level slightly above total mockery and derision. And these are people who all have great reason to be financially and emotionally invested in the football program. I suspect that my situation is not unique. Out of a group of 20 or so good friends from college who are all hardcore football fans, 4 of us are season ticket holders, and 2 of those are because I practically dragged them tooth and nail to join my wife and me as a group. There is some overlap between the two fanbases, but they are mostly distinct sets. There would possibly be a slight bump from people who just love attending live football games and would have to get their fix some other way if the Vikings leave town, but that would be very small and temporary if the team's performance is as bad as it has been the last 50+ years.

There is one, and only one, way to engender significantly increased interest in, and attendance at, Gophers football games. Win. Win big. Win frequently and consistently.

It's a novel concept that many here just refuse to accept. Just because the Vikes pissed in their Wheaties by choking away those 4 SuperBowls doesn't mean it's their fault the Gophs blew the past 4 decades.

I guess we'll find out once the Vikings, sadly, leave town (I'm hoping/praying for the best, but prepared for the worst) how the state of the Gopher football program takes advantage of the new NFL-homeless football fans in this state/region.

Top Bottom