Sid Going to bat for Brewster

akgopher

Reaction score
Wants him to get another year. Firing coaches hasn't worked here. Budget horrible, bigger problems than coaching. Miracles happen. Alvarez, Ferentz struggled.

My fav... We screwed up Holtz. Lost big donors when he left. He'd still be here. Why doesn't Sid ever see that Holtz wasn't staying here. Worse, he's a moralist, hypocrite. A horrible cheater who got caught everywhere he went. Even here. Sid fails to remember that too.

If the U wants to see donors leave, keep Brewster for another year. Believe me, no one will be donating to the fb program if Brewster is not fired.

I don't believe Sid would stick his neck out for a local sport figure. You must have taken his words out of context.

If the U wants to see donors leave, keep Brewster for another year. Believe me, no one will be donating to the fb program if Brewster is not fired.

You are so correct.... gonna be sad to see Iowa fans filling half of the Bank in a couple of years..Brewster is out of his league and so full of himself he doesn't even know it.. ANY interim coach would be fine... get rid of him and find a good young coach ( like Kiffen) and let him run..

Sid can count on another NFL insider in his Rolodex after Brew gets canned & goes back to the league.

I heard it too, PLUS (and this is unbelievable)

I don't believe Sid would stick his neck out for a local sport figure. You must have taken his words out of context.

He was running down the litany of fired U of M Football coaches, and honest to God, he said, "Joe Salem was probably one of the greatest coaches in U of M history". This pretty much sums up the lack of credibility that Sid has these days. I was laughing hysterically.

Sid (and Dave Lee by association) embarrasses the sh*t out of me. He ran Bernie Swanson (one of the best Minneapolis Star sports reporters) out of town for being a voice of reason during the 1950's. Sid rarely gets me to agree with anything he says.

Sid is one of the major contributing factors to the continued mediocrity of this football program with his huge support of moving to the Dome.

The U made that decision based on the lack of support from the state. There are plenty of things you can accuse of doing, but the Metrodome?

The U made that decision based on the lack of support from the state. There are plenty of things you can accuse of doing, but the Metrodome?

He publicly supported it and tried to convince others it was a good idea even though he didn't get a vote. He definitely tried to influence those that did and those that would listen to him.

He publicly supported it and tried to convince others it was a good idea even though he didn't get a vote. He definitely tried to influence those that did and those that would listen to him.

That is right. Sid led the charge to go to the Metrodome. He also led the charge to shoehorn the Twins in to the Metrodome.

...and Sid this morning claimed "Holtz would have got that stadium built years ago..." You mean shortly after Sid led the charge to the Dome?

That is right. Sid led the charge to go to the Metrodome. He also led the charge to shoehorn the Twins in to the Metrodome.

True. His boy Max Winter wanted the Dome, viola, Sid campaigned non-stop for the damn thing.

Oh but let's not confuse Sid's behavior on the air or in print with his personal beliefs. On a flight back from playing one of the Indiana/Illinois teams Sid sat next to Mac Boston and lobbied the whole way to get Wacker fired.

The next day he went on the air and there he lobbied to KEEP Wacker as the coach.

Sid never burns bridges while there is still a chance he may need to cross the river. If you read his autobiography though, you'll realize that once you're dead or out of power he'll burn you in a second. Or better yet think back to the Holtz/Giel conflict. Sid's still spitting on Giel's grave over that phony "Notre Dame clause.

He did have a couple of good points about the amount they spend on the football program but to ask us to wait for a miracle after waiting this long already for a decent team is just asking too much. He was dead wrong on firing Mason. Mason had 10 years here and clearly deserved to get canned.

Wants him to get another year. Firing coaches hasn't worked here. Budget horrible, bigger problems than coaching. Miracles happen. Alvarez, Ferentz struggled.

This is just stupid. In the 4th year Ferentz won the Big 10 and Alvarez was on the brink of a bowl birth. In his 5th year it was a trip to the Rose Bowl. Every year up until those programs broke through you could see improvement. They were about to turn the corner and reach new heights, the only thing beyond the corner that Brewster is a cliff to plummet off of.

He did have a couple of good points about the amount they spend on the football program...

But those points have proven to be factually incorrect per the U itself:

And then Brewster lost to South Dakota in the 2010 home opener, and in an attempt to justify the embarrassment, the coach's bobos passed along some information to the Star Tribune's Sid Hartman that alleged to show Minnesota had the lowest football budget in the Big Ten.

In truth, several Big Ten schools put stadium costs in their football budgets, and the university puts those costs elsewhere, and that greatly distorted the numbers that were given to Hartman.

The university, through Gary Bowman, the head of the sports information department, was quick to refute Sid's information. The athletic department insisted the Gophers are in the middle of the Big Ten when it comes to football spending.

The only thing that really matters is this: The Gophers' football program wants for nothing.

Full article here - http://1500espn.com/blogs/A_soft_endorsement_for_Coach_Brew

If it was up to Sid, the new stadium would be out by the fairgrounds on that piece of land he just so happens to own. effin' hypocrite

You are so correct.... gonna be sad to see Iowa fans filling half of the Bank in a couple of years..Brewster is out of his league and so full of himself he doesn't even know it.. ANY interim coach would be fine... get rid of him and find a good young coach ( like Kiffen) and let him run..

ummm, you can keep Kiffin. He hasn't proven he can coach anyone. Not to mention he's a little jerk.

This is just stupid. In the 4th year Ferentz won the Big 10 and Alvarez was on the brink of a bowl birth. In his 5th year it was a trip to the Rose Bowl. Every year up until those programs broke through you could see improvement. They were about to turn the corner and reach new heights, the only thing beyond the corner that Brewster is a cliff to plummet off of.

no, you could say they were somewhat close in his SECOND year, turning things around to go 5-6, but a 6 game losing streak in conference ruined that before the last two games could have meant anything.

Barry was on the brink of a bowl in his THIRD year when the team finished 5-6, having beat a ranked OSU, only to lose to Northwestern at the very end of the year to miss out.

We were Rose Bowl Champs in Barry's FOURTH year, after making steady progress each year after he arrived.

I know Sid is deteriorating, but sheesh......This morning Dave Mona mentioned the passing of Hal Scott and was just starting to say a few kind words, suddenly Sid cuts him off and starts ripping into Scott about stealing a scoop from him 40 years ago. It wasn't in jest either. He's still genuinely mad that Scott was the first to report Vince Lombardi was retiring.

What is wrong with us? We have John Gordon, the worst play-by-play man ever in any sport at any level. And we have Gladden, mister excitement. And the HORRID Dave Lee. Then we have Chilly and Rooster, Glen Taylor and finally, the homer king, washed up old grandpa sports.

Sid did rip Ruesse for ripping on everyone sunday night which was pretty funny. I enjoyed seeing Ruesse getting called out.

Sid is still hilarious. I rarely listen anymore, but it sounds like an on-going "can you top this?" in terms of homerism.

I do love the re-writing to the history though. Although he isn't an official member, I believe Sid is secretary/treasurer for the M Club (I keed. I keed.) and the old column always used to have quote from one M-Clubber or another.

We Sid really does lose his credibility is on the whole Dome thing. That place was an unmitigated M-Club/Downtown Council disaster.

It would have been nice had Holtz stayed though. I don't care for the guy, but no question he could coach.

Top Bottom