Sid: at least 3 good-sized contributions have been made to get fundraising close

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Fundraising improves

No doubt the fact that the Gophers football team posted a 8-4 regular-season record and then advanced to the Citrus Bowl, where some 20,000 fans wearing Maroon and Gold were in attendance, has resulted in some large contributions to the fund that will help build a football facility, basketball facility, an academic building and other needed athletic buildings to help recruiting.

Land O’Lakes has provided most of the money to build the academic building, with groundbreaking expected on the site of the current outdoor track in August.

Now the word is that at least three good-sized contributions have been made to get fundraising for the football facility close to what it will take financially to build. Coach Jerry Kill has been hopeful that ground can be broken for the football facility some time this year. Maybe he will get his wish.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/287863181.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Does anyone actually believe a word of this?

Last line..."maybe he will get his wish."

I'll believe it. And I'll switch to Land O'Lakes milk replacer and heifer feed. Send what you can and support these donors.

I don't doubt that they are close at the 140mil price tag, but Sid has been known to embellish from time to time...

Is he counting the 15 million Larson donation as one of the three?

Sid isn't talking about the entire complex, He's saying, that they are very close to giving the go ahead to the football facility. The academic facility was already scheduled so it's kind of a phase two, not the complete project. The football facility has also been downsized, from a $40 to $50 million facility, to a $25 mill plus facility.

Sid isn't talking about the entire complex, He's saying, that they are very close to giving the go ahead to the football facility. The academic facility was already scheduled so it's kind of a phase two, not the complete project. The football facility has also been downsized, from a $40 to $50 million facility, to a $25 mill plus facility.

What does a 25 million dollar facility buy us? I know $50 mil would have been 1 step below Oregon.

Apparently Miss St is opening a $25 million dollar facility, so it must still be sufficient.

What does a 25 million dollar facility buy us? I know $50 mil would have been 1 step below Oregon.

Apparently Miss St is opening a $25 million dollar facility, so it must still be sufficient.

If Miss St is spending that amount, I'm guessing it is the practice facility equivalent to a double-wide mobile home.

Shovels in the ground in April.

I remember reading on GHole right before the bowl game that either Teague or Kaler was going to fly down and meet with potential donors a day or two before the game. I wonder how that went?

I remember reading on GHole right before the bowl game that either Teague or Kaler was going to fly down and meet with potential donors a day or two before the game. I wonder how that went?

After the bowl game, Woody was on KFAN and said that it would be difficult to build in phases and that they need to be built at one time. It sounded like the buildings would be connected making it difficult to build separately.

Maybe I should start playing the lottery.

If you want to compare it to other schools, you'd probably have to take the football facility cost and add it to some or all of the student athlete center for excellence cost which will house academics and food for the football players.

$25 million is likely just part and likely the academic part. For a good part of the complex we are looking north of $60 million.

New High Schools are around $60 Million.
A nice Community Center with fitness, gym, ice arena, pool, the whole nine yards is about $40-60 million.

Unfortunately, one of the consequences of the bowl loss is to lessen enthusiasm, which can't help Teague's efforts.

Unfortunately, one of the consequences of the bowl loss is to lessen enthusiasm, which can't help Teague's efforts.

It sucks that we lost, but I doubt that anyone who was planning on contributing anything of significance was dissuaded because of a non-conference, exhibition game. The honor was the game itself, not the outcome.

$25 million is likely just part and likely the academic part. For a good part of the complex we are looking north of $60 million.

New High Schools are around $60 Million.
A nice Community Center with fitness, gym, ice arena, pool, the whole nine yards is about $40-60 million.

I hope they are including the gold-plated urinals. These numbers must be the result of a lot of backscratching in the bidding process. I would be furious if they spent anywhere near $60 million towards a glorified warehouse, weight room, sports medicine etc.

Then again, I'm a bit skeptical of the facilities arms race. But, it is what is. If the NCAA antitrust suits go through the university would be better off using the money for competitive salaries. The athletes would care little about facilities if we can pay them 20k more per year than Wisconsin.

In the military there used to be (still) derision for the Air Force " country clubs" by the salty dogs of the Marine Corps or Army toiling in ****holes like 29 Palms. Adversity was a point of pride. Our weight room and training facilities weren't even air conditioned. Real men don't need that junk. Sign of the times, I suppose.

I hope they are including the gold-plated urinals. These numbers must be the result of a lot of backscratching in the bidding process. I would be furious if they spent anywhere near $60 million towards a glorified warehouse, weight room, sports medicine etc.

Then again, I'm a bit skeptical of the facilities arms race. But, it is what is. If the NCAA antitrust suits go through the university would be better off using the money for competitive salaries. The athletes would care little about facilities if we can pay them 20k more per year than Wisconsin.

In the military there used to be (still) derision for the Air Force " country clubs" by the salty dogs of the Marine Corps or Army toiling in ****holes like 29 Palms. Adversity was a point of pride. Our weight room and training facilities weren't even air conditioned. Real men don't need that junk. Sign of the times, I suppose.

As someone who was a marine and I suppose a real man, there might have been derision, but I can also tell you there was jealousy even back then. A hell of a lot more people like nice things instead of preferring to be masochists. It's fundamentally stupid, but if you're going to play the game against the big boys, don't handicap yourself.

It sucks that we lost, but I doubt that anyone who was planning on contributing anything of significance was dissuaded because of a non-conference, exhibition game. The honor was the game itself, not the outcome.

Bowl games aren't exhibitions.

Agreed, I don't know why that keeps being said (except by way of minimizing our coach's 0-3 record in them, I bet if Kill were 3-0 they would be "postseason games" and the most important on the schedule). In terms of my personal opinion on game importance, it would definitely be more important to me than the 3 cupcakes (and probably TCU too) and less important than the in conference trophy games.

Agreed, I don't know why that keeps being said (except by way of minimizing our coach's 0-3 record in them, I bet if Kill were 3-0 they would be "postseason games" and the most important on the schedule). In terms of my personal opinion on game importance, it would definitely be more important to me than the 3 cupcakes (and probably TCU too) and less important than the in conference trophy games.

I believe until recently, sometime in the last 10 years, stats from bowl games didn't count towards season records. Could be a source of confusion.

Fine. Strike the word "exhibition" from my post...it was only used as hyperbole anyhow. My point remains that I doubt any high level donors pulled their money because we lost to Missouri. Obviously many may disagree with my assessment of bowl games, but in terms of importance I put them below all other regular season games (unless of course we are talking about the playoffs).

Fine. Strike the word "exhibition" from my post...it was only used as hyperbole anyhow. My point remains that I doubt any high level donors pulled their money because we lost to Missouri. Obviously many may disagree with my assessment of bowl games, but in terms of importance I put them below all other regular season games (unless of course we are talking about the playoffs).

Can you explain your rationale? It counts as a win just like the other 12 games. Further, it's always against an opponent that is at least decent, and sometimes even great. So why would you not care and place little importance on winning it?

Top Bottom