Should the Vikes be able to play in TCF for the rest of the season?

Vikes at TCF for rest of 2010

• Ya we are neighbors and a good relationship helps the gophers too

Votes: 126 77.3%
  • No this is the Gophers stadium!

Votes: 37 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, the Vikings should be allowed to play at TCF Bank Stadium. They pay for getting our stadium opened up and running, and the Athletic Department at the University of Minnesota gets all suite, parking, and concession revenue.

That would be a first.

If the stadium is needed they need to make it available. To do otherwise would be moronic. Should the U have to bear unnecessary costs to do it? No. But should they hold out and try and 'screw the Vikings'? Of course not. First, the whole notion is misguided. The Vikings won't pay squat. The MSFC has an obligation to have the Dome available for the Vikings to play in. If they don't, it's their responsibility to rectify it. They will be the ones paying these costs, not the Vikings. So all you'd really have is one public institution 'screwing' another, who also is its former landlord.

Why is this even a debate? Of course they should let the Vikings use The Bank. It would be great publicity for the U, and as a Gopher fan AND a Viking fan.. you can't get much more excited about a Viking home game. Let the administration worry about the $$ details. The Vikings are going to get money from insurance anyway. If this does happen, it'll only be one game against the Bears, next Monday night. The nation won't get to see the game because of broadcast issues, but you'll still see the block 'M' on replays. The only issue here is un-winter-izing the The Bank. And the U's administration already said in a statement to the Vikings that it would take a handful of day to get it ready for NFL football. Last I checked, they had 8 days until the Vikes next home game (after tomorrow's game).

TCF Bank Stadium cannot be used. It was not designed for extended use in sub-freezing temperatures. The water and sewer system in the concourse will freeze and fail. It has also been winterized and the system has been filled with anti-freeze. It will take a week just to purge that from the potable water.

No chance.

Where does this come from? The stadium is used year round. The U has said it will take 5 days to have the stadium ready. At any rate, it's not like they're playing a 7 game home stand or something.

This anti-Vikings crap is ridiculous. The Vikings have nothing to do with 50 years of sub-mediocre football at the U and the Vikings should not be to blame for asking the U if they'd like to play in the dome and the U administration saying yes, and then not opting out and moving back to Memorial Stadium.

Where does this come from? The stadium is used year round. The U has said it will take 5 days to have the stadium ready. At any rate, it's not like they're playing a 7 game home stand or something.

This anti-Vikings crap is ridiculous. The Vikings have nothing to do with 50 years of sub-mediocre football at the U and the Vikings should not be to blame for asking the U if they'd like to play in the dome and the U administration saying yes, and then not opting out and moving back to Memorial Stadium.

:clap::clap::clap: Great post.

TCF Bank Stadium cannot be used. It was not designed for extended use in sub-freezing temperatures. The water and sewer system in the concourse will freeze and fail. It has also been winterized and the system has been filled with anti-freeze. It will take a week just to purge that from the potable water.

No chance.

Ditto on this. The stadium has been put to sleep for the year. The field also is not heated and the field was frozen for the Iowa game..

Only certain parts of the stadium are used all year around, the concourse is not. The bathrooms have be winterized, as well as the concession stands. Who from the U said this?? Where's the link to the statement??

They had better make a decision fast, I have no doubt it is possible, but only if they move soon.

Only certain parts of the stadium are used all year around, the concourse is not. The bathrooms have be winterized, as well as the concession stands. Who from the U said this?? Where's the link to the statement??

It was on the main strib story earlier in the day. Article has now been paired down. It would be awfully short sighted to have built an outdoor football stadium that was not usable in cold weather now, wouldn't it? Everybody with a lake cabin goes through this. When you leave for extended periods, you turn off the water, drain the pipes and open the valves. TCF is a bit bigger magnitude than the lake, but the idea that 8 days get the water running is not enough is ridiculous. Why do people have their panties in a bunch over the Vikings playing an emergency game in Dinkytown?

The field also is not heated and the field was frozen for the Iowa game..

So what? This is football. Again, if the U installed a field that could not be used in cold weather, in MINNESOTA, that would be rather short sighted, wouldn't it?

Hows that going to work for beer sales if they play the game next week at TCF? Will the U allow beer concessions, and would the Vikings then come in with portable stands for that (which is what the Bears had to do when they played in Champaign when Soldier Field was being wrecked - er, renovated.)

If there are no beer sales for a Vikings game, they aren't going to need to be too concerned about there being 15,000 fewer seats. Based on the last couple Vikings games I've been to, that's the only reason a big portion of the crowd is there.

PR blunder? The biggest blunder would be not to ask for rent. This isn't a charity. It is big business and we built the stadium to suit the University's needs. Allowing a for profit business to unilaterally profit from TCF stadium is the most outrageous comment.

This is an unforseen emergency. If the U is getting the parking money, the concession money, and the Vikings cover operational costs then they'll look greedy if they were to say "we'll let the Vikes play in MN instead of on the road...but it'll cost ya extra on top."

"We'll continue to explore all feasible options to make it possible to accommodate the Vikings on campus to complete their season in the Twin Cities, should that be necessary.”

That means that the U is willing to let them play next Monday night's game at TCF.

The Vikings/NFL/MSFC should reimburse the U for all cost related to de-winterizing and re-winterizing the stadium. The U should get their standard rental fees and all revenue streams (concessions, parking, etc.) This is the same deal they would get if they play the game at any other venue.

If that deal can't be done then someone didn't want to play at TCF.

Why wasn't the Fargodome considered? Seriously? How much money is there to be made on giving away seats in Detroit? How many people are going to show up? Lots of homeless looking to get out of the cold for a few hours is my guess. 19,000 people would have jammed into the Fargodome as paying customers and would have purchased a lot of beer to boot. It'll be interesting to see what transpires in Motown tomorrow night.

Why wasn't the Fargodome considered? Seriously? How much money is there to be made on giving away seats in Detroit? How many people are going to show up? Lots of homeless looking to get out of the cold for a few hours is my guess. 19,000 people would have jammed into the Fargodome as paying customers and would have purchased a lot of beer to boot. It'll be interesting to see what transpires in Motown tomorrow night.

Because it's in Fargo.

Because it's in Fargo.

As opposed to Detroit? I'm not from Fargo (although I did spend one long cold year of my life there), nor an NDSU alum. Why does Detroit or any other NFL city where tickets are comped make any more sense than regional facility other than the NFL protocol doesn't call for events being held Fargo, ND? The only other sensible protocol would be to put the game in some market longing for an NFL team. Saints drew rather well in San Antonio. As someone else noted, a game in Southern California would get folks to sit up and take notice.

They talked about this on the radio. I agreed - it makes perfect sense. At least people there would care about the game.

I suspect the decision was made almost entirely by FOX. They don't have to figure out how to set up equipment in an unfamiliar setting, and this way, they just leave everything where it is from today's Lions game.

EXCELLENT IDEA AND REASONING! I play in a men's hockey league and we've been trying to find a place to practice. I can tell the boys that good old Gopherfan43 said we should head to the X and tell those F'ers that we paid for that rink and it better be opened since we have a team that needs it. I'm sure it will work!

p.s. you should head to Target Field and see if it works for your softball team too.

p.s. II: its couldn't care less, not "could careless".

I still can't let this go. Is this person serious or is he just an idiot trying to be funny. Comparing his rag tag bunch of idiots on a pond to an NFL franchise has to be one of the most ridiculous things ever said on this board, and I am taking into account the people that say the badgers winning somehow helps us.

"We'll continue to explore all feasible options to make it possible to accommodate the Vikings on campus to complete their season in the Twin Cities, should that be necessary.”

That means that the U is willing to let them play next Monday night's game at TCF.

The Vikings/NFL/MSFC should reimburse the U for all cost related to de-winterizing and re-winterizing the stadium. The U should get their standard rental fees and all revenue streams (concessions, parking, etc.) This is the same deal they would get if they play the game at any other venue.

If that deal can't be done then someone didn't want to play at TCF.

Yeah! Take that Vikings! It is the MSFC that will pay these costs. Don't you get that? The Metrodome is run my a state-government entity. TCF was built largely with state funds and the U is also a State entity. Put the bitterness away.

The U is running a business with their athletic department. They have every right to require some specific conditions if they were to help out. Forcing the Vikes to pay for any costs associated with running and reopening TCF would be very standard. Keeping the parking money and concession sales money would be as well since they are the U lots and the U's stands. I don't agree with those that say they should be asking for "rent" or extra payments, but they'd have every right to do so if they chose (though it would be a PR blunder IMO).

Considering how the Gophers got bent over by Mike Lynn and the Vikes for a quarter century, Zygi shouldn't get dime one from any concessions, luxury suites and parking if the Vikes were to play at TCF. In fact, Zygi should be writing a big-azzed check just for the privilege. And if he doesn't like it he can spot the Bears another home game at Soldier field.

They talked about this on the radio. I agreed - it makes perfect sense. At least people there would care about the game.

I suspect the decision was made almost entirely by FOX. They don't have to figure out how to set up equipment in an unfamiliar setting, and this way, they just leave everything where it is from today's Lions game.

This was a factor. But it's pretty clear if TCF had been available they'd have gone there. Since it wasn't, Detroit, NO, etc. were the only viable options. They were never going to Fargo. They're not going to shoe-horn an NFL game into a stadium that tiny, no matter how few people show up in Detroit. It's partially about image. Playing a game at a rinky-dink stadium in North Dakota was never going to happen. And before anyone rips me, we played our MN Football section finals there and considered it a great honor. But an NFL venue it is not.

I still can't let this go. Is this person serious or is he just an idiot trying to be funny. Comparing his rag tag bunch of idiots on a pond to an NFL franchise has to be one of the most ridiculous things ever said on this board, and I am taking into account the people that say the badgers winning somehow helps us.

Glad to know you spent your day thinking of me. My initial post was mocking the predictable, entitled response Viking fans had about the University owing the Vikings. FWIW, I voted that the University should work with the Vikings to accomodate them at the Bank. I think that the University should get expenses covered, pick up some additional revenue and get some nice PR. They should help the Vikings because it benefits the University. They shouldn't help the Vikings to accomodate over-emotional Viking fans who are in a panic and screaming at the top of their lungs that the University "owes" the state and somehow a private enterprise that competes with them to a small degree. We all know you are Viking fan first, but you should be able to detach yourself enough to see the foolishness of screaming about what's "owed" the Vikings. Best wishes.

This was a factor. But it's pretty clear if TCF had been available they'd have gone there. Since it wasn't, Detroit, NO, etc. were the only viable options. They were never going to Fargo. They're not going to shoe-horn an NFL game into a stadium that tiny, no matter how few people show up in Detroit. It's partially about image. Playing a game at a rinky-dink stadium in North Dakota was never going to happen. And before anyone rips me, we played our MN Football section finals there and considered it a great honor. But an NFL venue it is not.

I personally think playing in an empty stadium is far worse for their image. We'll see though, maybe a bunch will come out. But playing in front of 20,000 in a huge stadium will look empty. The FargoDome would have been better than Detroit.

No doubt about it, Fox had a big part in the decision. That's why places like Indianapolis and St. Louis were not really considered. Detroit and New Orleans were the two finalists because fox was there today.

Whoever suggested playing anything having to do with the NFL in Fargo ND should be committed.

Yeah! Take that Vikings! It is the MSFC that will pay these costs. Don't you get that? The Metrodome is run my a state-government entity. TCF was built largely with state funds and the U is also a State entity. Put the bitterness away.

Take that? What's wrong with you? Why do some of you insist that the world isn't right until the Gophers are subsidizing the Vikings (again).

I am saying that the U should let them play there. But it would be insanity for them to not get rent and revenue. That's just how the world works. Sorry.

Bitter would be the putting the Vikings in touch with the folks at USC. Or telling them to get bent, (which is exactly what they did to the Gophers for two decades).

I'm equally a fan of both teams. Sorry if I'm not a naive little Pollyanna like most Viking fans. Just like I don't think the Viking need to be gone for the U to be successful, I also don't think the Vikings need to keep hitting-up The U for cash. No other NFL team does that.

I agree that a lot of Gopher fans are are overly sensative about all-things Vikings. But considering the history there it's hard to blame them for being a little concerned.

And if the U ever decides to play hard-ball in the state's dealings with the Vikings I will also not blame them. The state made it's bed when it tossed the Vikings and Twins a cupcake by prohibiting alcohol in the suites at TCF. They fired all the bullets in their gun at the U.

By the way, the state and the MSFC are not exactly the same thing. And the state does not own or run either the U or TCF.

Top Bottom