Should the Vikes be able to play in TCF for the rest of the season?

Vikes at TCF for rest of 2010

• Ya we are neighbors and a good relationship helps the gophers too

Votes: 126 77.3%
  • No this is the Gophers stadium!

Votes: 37 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brew_recruit

Reaction score
As gopher fans would you be ok with the Vikes playing their last few games at TCF if the Dome can't be fixed or it wouldn't be economical to fix right away .

TCF Bank Stadium cannot be used. It was not designed for extended use in sub-freezing temperatures. The water and sewer system in the concourse will freeze and fail. It has also been winterized and the system has been filled with anti-freeze. It will take a week just to purge that from the potable water.

No chance.

I could careless how the U feels about it or about the relationship (or lack thereof) between the Gophers and Vikings. We paid for the stadium and it better be re-opened if we have a team that needs it.

I could careless how the U feels about it or about the relationship (or lack thereof) between the Gophers and Vikings. We paid for the stadium and it better be re-opened if we have a team that needs it.

The U is running a business with their athletic department. They have every right to require some specific conditions if they were to help out. Forcing the Vikes to pay for any costs associated with running and reopening TCF would be very standard. Keeping the parking money and concession sales money would be as well since they are the U lots and the U's stands. I don't agree with those that say they should be asking for "rent" or extra payments, but they'd have every right to do so if they chose (though it would be a PR blunder IMO).

Money for the U, having our name and the M logo put on TV is good publicity. I'm sure the details can be worked out. Pay the U some good money plus the costs of getting the stadium ready.

just who is "we?" i know it is kind of semantics, but the U paid for the majority with fundraising. 60% if i recall correctly. contrary to some comments, the state did not pay for everything.

just who is "we?" i know it is kind of semantics, but the U paid for the majority with fundraising. 60% if i recall correctly. contrary to some comments, the state did not pay for everything.

And IIRC what the state did pay was in the form of a loan, so the state will receive that money back plus interest.

EXCELLENT IDEA AND REASONING! I play in a men's hockey league and we've been trying to find a place to practice. I can tell the boys that good old Gopherfan43 said we should head to the X and tell those F'ers that we paid for that rink and it better be opened since we have a team that needs it. I'm sure it will work!

p.s. you should head to Target Field and see if it works for your softball team too.

p.s. II: its couldn't care less, not "could careless".

EXCELLENT IDEA AND REASONING! I play in a men's hockey league and we've been trying to find a place to practice. I can tell the boys that good old Gopherfan43 said we should head to the X and tell those F'ers that we paid for that rink and it better be opened since we have a team that needs it. I'm sure it will work!

p.s. you should head to Target Field and see if it works for your softball team too.

hockey_players_01.jpg

They need their own outdoor stadium so stuff like this doesn't happen. This is surely a sign that football is not meant to be roofed.

Open air, all the way.

If the wilf's were smart, they'd talk to USC about playing next Monday nights home game in The Los Angeles coliseum. Nothing else in the world could light a fire under the legislators' butts more than that.

I voted yes. It would only be one game (the Monday night game vs Chicago).

Its a no-brainer to me from the U's perspective. Why wouldn't you let them play there and make a few bucks off the deal. From the Vikes perspective, it isn't a great option but could work for the one Giant's game. I'm less thrilled with the ideas as a Viking's fan.

Hey old grump...sounds like you haven't had your drink yet today.

Favoring throwing away potential revenue for a cash-strapped athletic department because you don't like the Vikings is the height of silliness.

Yes, the Vikings should be allowed to play at TCF Bank Stadium. They pay for getting our stadium opened up and running, and the Athletic Department at the University of Minnesota gets all suite, parking, and concession revenue.

Who's we?

If the wilf's were smart, they'd talk to USC about playing next Monday nights home game in The Los Angeles coliseum. Nothing else in the world could light a fire under the legislators' butts more than that.

Let them go, make sure they take Favre with them ..

Then finally the Gophers will be free of the NFL and... will still be awful.

Well said. It is such a joke this assumption that all of the U's ills stem from the NFL and if the Vikings would just leave everyone will open their heart and support the college team through thick and thin. We've been awful for 50 years. Win a title, any title, and you will earn support back whether the Vikings are in town or not...

There's only one way to find out if the Gophers will be good with the Vikings out of this town. If I'm wrong, I'll apologize.

you sir are an idiot!

If they can get the stadium ready, they absolutely should do it. TCF Bank Stadium on Monday Night Football? This is a no-brainer. And I don't even like the Vikings (though old-school frozen football might swoon my heart for them).

The U is running a business with their athletic department. They have every right to require some specific conditions if they were to help out. Forcing the Vikes to pay for any costs associated with running and reopening TCF would be very standard. Keeping the parking money and concession sales money would be as well since they are the U lots and the U's stands. I don't agree with those that say they should be asking for "rent" or extra payments, but they'd have every right to do so if they chose (though it would be a PR blunder IMO).

PR blunder? The biggest blunder would be not to ask for rent. This isn't a charity. It is big business and we built the stadium to suit the University's needs. Allowing a for profit business to unilaterally profit from TCF stadium is the most outrageous comment.

PR blunder? The biggest blunder would be not to ask for rent. This isn't a charity. It is big business and we built the stadium to suit the University's needs. Allowing a for profit business to unilaterally profit from TCF stadium is the most outrageous comment.
Recommended reading

Top Bottom