Shooter: The Gophers have never signed a five-star football recruit since the rating system began; Dick Larson thinks Bell, Stephens & Brown were 5*

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

The Gophers have never signed a five-star football recruit since the rating system began. Dick Larson, 85, the MVP QB of the 1956 Gophers, figures the program’s 1960 national champions would have had three five-stars — Bobby Bell, Sandy Stephens and Tom Brown — and six others who were either four- or three-stars.

Go Gophers!!

I wonder how many MN has produced. Seantrel Henderson for sure. Was Joe Mauer?

per Shooter:

The Gophers have never signed a five-star football recruit since the rating system began. Dick Larson, 85, the MVP QB of the 1956 Gophers, figures the program’s 1960 national champions would have had three five-stars — Bobby Bell, Sandy Stephens and Tom Brown — and six others who were either four- or three-stars.

Go Gophers!!
If we are retroactively assigning stars, then Antoine Winfield Jr and Eric Decker are 5-stars.

Hard to argue with Dick Larson on any of that.

If we use the draft as a measuring stick and given that there are only roughly thirty 5 Star recruits a year (in modern times) and those labels revolve around pro-level physical gifts and talent Bateman would be a slam dunk 5 star, retroactively, which was evident in his first games.

Plenty of other retroactive 4 stars that ended up drafted and on NFL rosters.

We didn't sign him out of high school, but Octavius Gould was a 5 star transfer we landed from the University of Florida back in (I believe) 1986.

By this metric we build the statue when the first 5***** actually sees gameday playing time...even on special forces when ahead by 30 points...

I thought some services had Brandon Owens as a 5 star safety out of high school?

I thought some services had Brandon Owens as a 5 star safety out of high school?
Yeah he was a weird one. I think scout rated him really high and the other services had him much lower.

Mauer was widely considered the top hs player in the nation so yes, definitely 5*!
Yeah, he was a 5 star. USAF left that out because he hates success. It's kind of mirror into his own failures. But he did curse at Joe Mauer though, so you know he's still a tough guy.

Yeah, he was a 5 star. USAF left that out because he hates success. It's kind of mirror into his own failures. But he did curse at Joe Mauer though, so you know he's still a tough guy.
Uh, barrister, I literally posted his 247 5-star ranking.

Holy cow I hope you do better work for your clients.

What was Marquis Gray rated? It was high.

Seems like Brewster had a couple others besides those listed that never did much.

Jones from Washburn? Hageman?

What was Marquis Gray rated? It was high.

Seems like Brewster had a couple others besides those listed that never did much.

Jones from Washburn? Hageman?
Pretty sure those were all 4 stars.

ESPN Recruiting: Mauer follows Weinke to FSU

Quarterback Joe Mauer, the nation's top prospect, formally committed as expected to Florida State at a press conference on Thursday.

Mauer, from Cretin-Derham Hall High School in Minneapolis, Minn., turned down Minnesota, Arizona and Miami in favor of Bobby Bowden's Seminoles. The Hurricanes' chances were particularly hurt by the departure of coach Butch Davis to the Cleveland Browns earlier this week.

Mauer will be following in the footsteps of fellow Cretin-Derham alumnus and 2000 Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke, who was also a top baseball prospect coming out of high school and played professionally in the Toronto Blue Jays organization before resuming his football career with the Seminoles. Mauer will likely play baseball as well as football at FSU. Considered one of the top catchers in the country, Mauer could be chosen very early in the June MLB draft, which means he could conceivably give up football for baseball.

That's why FSU is taking something of a chance in accepting Mauer's commitment, because -- with Jared Jones' recent departure -- the team now has little depth at QB.

Mauer reminds me of Michigan's Drew Henson not only because both are talented on the diamond, but also because of his arm strength, smarts, and pure passing skills. A terrific athlete, he would really enhance this FSU class's status as a top 5 group.

Heading into the 2000 high school season, I ranked Mauer as one of the top two prospects in the country, and by the end of the year he was my undisputed No. 1. As a senior he completed 178 of 288 passes for 3,022 yards and 41 TDs. He threw an incredible seven TD passes in a state playoff game. His two-year passing totals are 5,528 yards and 73 TDs. In just about every game this season, Mauer was the major difference between winning and losing. He has a superior arm and shows great coolness under fire.

This past season he batted close to .600 and was considered to be the nation's top high school catcher. He's also a standout shooting guard in basketball and has averaged over 20 points per game in his prep career.

Mauer follows Weinke to FSU

Isn't there only like 30 5* football players each year?

I always thought Dominque Sims was a 5* but that was just before the internet era so I didn't really follow near as close.

TANGENT TIME

I think CFB is ultimately a collection regional type sporting events. What makes it work are the regional rivalries, events, and flavors.

This kinda story reeks of ESPN-national-CFB-newsification where we have to look at everything from a rando national view. Let's interrupt the rando bowl to talk about Georgia's 5* for a bit and so on .... or let's talk about LSU's recruiting and ignore the other team while LSU gets its ass kicked...

No one article is at fault but these kinda stories just feel like template national stories pasted on a local team that to me just kinda degrades the whole product, not intentionally but over time it does.

Shame we didn't recruit Mauer his MLB career was a flop

Uh, barrister, I literally posted his 247 5-star ranking.

Holy cow I hope you do better work for your clients.
Double drink! It's 9 AM on a Tuesday, we all know there is absolutely nothing preventing you from getting drunk today.

Your desperation to discuss my job forces you to post some really stupid things. You hope I do better work for my clients than how I post on a message board? LOL. Yeah. See for all of us who actually have jobs, yes, we probably do better work at our job than how we post on a sports message board. It's our. . . profession. Like I am sure you're incredibly diligent on when your check from the government arrives and you can barely read.

You posted it in the absolute dumbest way possible where you can't see the 5 star in your post. You know, the entire point of the conversation, tough guy? I figured that was intentional. But I suppose this perfectly illustrates Hanlon's razor "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

TANGENT TIME

I think CFB is ultimately a collection regional type sporting events. What makes it work are the regional rivalries, events, and flavors.

This kinda story reeks of ESPN-national-CFB-newsification where we have to look at everything from a rando national view. Let's interrupt the rando bowl to talk about Georgia's 5* for a bit and so on .... or let's talk about LSU's recruiting and ignore the other team while LSU gets its ass kicked...

No one article is at fault but these kinda stories just feel like template national stories pasted on a local team that to me just kinda degrades the whole product, not intentionally but over time it does.
I agree with you. It reminds me a little of like watching Iowa High School Football Championship and constantly needing to bring up that there are fewer D1 football players in Iowa than Illinois.

We get it, the SEC has a ton more talent than the Big 10. Cool.

Double drink! It's 9 AM on a Tuesday, we all know there is absolutely nothing preventing you from getting drunk today.

Your desperation to discuss my job forces you to post some really stupid things. You hope I do better work for my clients than how I post on a message board? LOL. Yeah. See for all of us who actually have jobs, yes, we probably do better work at our job than how we post on a sports message board. It's our. . . profession. Like I am sure you're incredibly diligent on when your check from the government arrives and you can barely read.

You posted it in the absolute dumbest way possible where you can't see the 5 star in your post. You know, the entire point of the conversation, tough guy? I figured that was intentional. But I suppose this perfectly illustrates Hanlon's razor "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
Lol. Angry much?

Just take a deep breath, admit you were wrong, and move on. Better for your health.

Back on ignore.

Top Bottom