Shooter: Brady Hoke on U's list of serious football coaching prospects

Face it. Unless a big name, home run coach comes calling for the U of M job, we are going to hire Hoke, Calhoun, or Sumlin. I am fine with any of them. As it has been said before, no coach will admit it, but they want the easiest job to be successful if going to a BCS conference. Having to play the Gopher's schedule every year will be very tough.

Brady Hoke has a very unimpressive resume. In the 3 years prior to Hoke arriving at Ball State, Bill Lynch was 4-4 in the conference each year and never had an overall record worse than 5-6. It was not until Hoke's 3rd season at Ball State that he was able to go 4-4 in conference and it was not until Hoke's 4th season that he was able to have an overall record similar to what Lynch put up his final 3 seasons (Hoke was 5-7 in his 4th year). In Hokes 5th year he went 7-6 overall (again similar to Lynch). Finally, his 6th year he went 12-1 and left for San Diego State.

I really can't belive this guy is getting any consideration beyond the search committee just covering all their bases.

This is nothing more than the search committee doing its proper due diligence. That said, I would be massively disappointed, as well as sufficiently angry, if Brady freaking Hoke is our guy.

Nothing against Hoke--who I am sure is a solid football guy--but we need to score above this level.

Brady Hoke has a very unimpressive resume. In the 3 years prior to Hoke arriving at Ball State, Bill Lynch was 4-4 in the conference each year and never had an overall record worse than 5-6. It was not until Hoke's 3rd season at Ball State that he was able to go 4-4 in conference and it was not until Hoke's 4th season that he was able to have an overall record similar to what Lynch put up his final 3 seasons (Hoke was 5-7 in his 4th year). In Hokes 5th year he went 7-6 overall (again similar to Lynch). Finally, his 6th year he went 12-1 and left for San Diego State.

I really can't belive this guy is getting any consideration beyond the search committee just covering all their bases.

Unimpressive is getting better every year?

2-6 to 4-4 to 5-3 to 5-2 to 8-0 (Ball State is 5-17 since he left)

Took over a 2-10 team that lost 70-7 at New Mexico and has gone 4-8 and then 7-2...screwed by a BYU replay official and a missed block in the back at Missouri or he'd be 9-0.

I'm guessing we're gonna relive the Mason years with this next hire. Mediocrity, here we come again, smh...

I'm guessing we're gonna relive the Mason years with this next hire. Mediocrity, here we come again, smh...

My precise fear. Of course, had Mason been better in the energy and PR departments, he'd still be coaching here.

I'll take the Mason years as long as it includes playing for the Big Ten Championship 2-3 times every 10 years.

Not a home run to me....at all. Somewhere down the list #5-#15...or so for me.

Fourth or fifth down your list?

I'm guess the Big 3, then Leach and Bellotti maybe (In no particular order)

Well I guess if you want to believe one of those guys are coming here you are more than welcome to. But I look at this situation realistically and Calhoun is realistically one of the best candidates available for the job.

So Maturi is screwed because there is not such thing as a realistic home run candidate.

Hoke / Michigan ?

Since Brady Hoke was an assistant at Michigan for a few years, would he be looked at by Michigan--- especially since Michigan defense is so bad. Hoke is a defensive line coach along with being head coach at San Diego St. now.
That is a big plus I see for Minnesota to hire him as well.

I'll take the Mason years as long as it includes playing for the Big Ten Championship 2-3 times every 10 years.

Those were not the Mason years. You want better than the Mason years. By your own definition you want to be one of the top two or three teams in the BigTen every 3-5 years, this was never mason. We can talk about how close we were a couple times, but it was only twice and both times ended in no better than 4th place.

People need to stop romanticizing about the Mason years. He improved the program, but his record of of BigTen wins minums BigTen losses (I'm talking to you walrus) and wins over rivals was very poor. He also averaged a bottom half finish in the league.

For those saying that Hoke, Sumlin, Calhoun, Golden are second tier guys and we have to get the likes of Harbaugh. Remember that Harbaugh was a "second tier" guy before he took over at Standford. He was only a head coach for three years at 1AA University of San Diego and he seems to be doing just fine for himself now.

Just saying.

For those saying that Hoke, Sumlin, Calhoun, Golden are second tier guys and we have to get the likes of Harbaugh. Remember that Harbaugh was a "second tier" guy before he took over at Standford. He was only a head coach for three years at 1AA University of San Diego and he seems to be doing just fine for himself now.

Just saying.

+1. I bet many at Michigan are kicking themselves for thinking he was too inexperienced at the time.

Let's face it we need two things to happen very quickly.

1. Fill the stadium.
2. Improve the product.

The best way to do this quickly is to introduce an exciting (re: wide open) offense and provide serious fundamental coaching on the D side. The best bet to accomplish these things is with Leach. Unfotunately, he presents a threat to our friend Maturi. In fact I would guess he scares the living sh*t out of him.

Instead we'll end up with someone like Sumlin and face three or four years of rebuilding. We'll also see three or four years of a stadium with way to many empty seats.

Since Brady Hoke was an assistant at Michigan for a few years, would he be looked at by Michigan--- especially since Michigan defense is so bad. Hoke is a defensive line coach along with being head coach at San Diego St. now.
That is a big plus I see for Minnesota to hire him as well.
Well, one of the biggest Michigan blogs (MGOBlog) HATED the idea of hiring Hoke. This was the season before he went 12-1, but read the excerpts below and tell me if you think we want a Michigan man that Michigan men would hate to hire? I mean, Brian actually lists GLEN MASON as someone he'd take before Hoke.

http://mgoblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/profiles-in-cronyism-brady-hoke.html

For those of you who are not Jason Whitlock and thus know nothing about the Ball State football program, like all red-blooded Americans should, Brady Hoke is its head coach. In five years on the job, Hoke is 22-36 and has one winning season, this year's 7-5 campaign that will end when Rutgers houses the Cardinals in the International Bowl. Hoke's main accomplishments to date are

* being the first coach to torch Johnny Sears and one of dozens to hang close with Michigan despite a massive talent deficit,
* nearly beating the worst Nebraska team ever, and
* being good friends with Lloyd Carr.

There isn't a power program in the country that could make Brady Hoke's candidacy for their head coaching job seem like anything other than a PR move designed to help a friend of the program... but remember the boats. The goddamn boats. Anything is possible.

Hoke's winning percentage? 38%. And he did not take over a program in disarray. Ball State had disastrous years in 1998 and 1999, going a combined 1-21, but recovered from the tailspin to go 16-18 the three years before Hoke arrived.

Hoke promptly put up records of 4-8, 2-9, 4-7, and 5-7 before his "breakthrough" 2007, when he finally got the program back to the level it was at when he arrived. Historically, Ball State has been one of the better programs in the MAC, their overall record above distorted by those two bombs; other than that the last time they won fewer than five games was 1987. The evidence suggests Hoke is outclassed in the MAC.

So let's make him Michigan's head coach!

Xs and Os Proficiency: Hoke has never been a coordinator on any level.

Recruiting: A N/A. It's Ball State.

Potential Catches: Potential "catches"? The whole damn thing is one big catch! Even in the realm of people who Michigan would approach after getting turned down by everyone -- EVERYONE -- there are vastly preferable candidates: Ron English. Mike Trgovic. Glen Mason. Jon Chait. Me. The Golden Retriever from "Air Bud: Golden Receiver." Mussolini, who is dead. Dick Vitale. Sigourney Weaver. Richard Nixon's penis. Sigourney Weaver's penis. All of these people and organs don't have a track record that suggests they are a below average MAC coach. It is in this way they are superior to Brady Hoke.

Relative Compensation: Hoke makes 170k per year, the third lowest in D-I. We'll probably offer him $120k.

Would He Take The Job? Yes.

Overall Attractiveness: Awful. Awful, awful, awful. The worst possible candidate. The mere idea this guy -- who's never even been a coordinator anywhere and has his MAC team performing at a level well below the program's historical baseline -- could get the job is infuriating. Only at Michigan could this happen, and if it does I guarantee you that Bo is going to haunt the mofo that signs the contract.

Better that Debord? No. Absolutely not better than Debord. The functional equivalent of Debord and a guy who would either keep Captain Failure or bring in Stan Parrish. If Hoke is hired there will be a riot, and with good reason.

Just saying.

God, I'm tired of hearing this argument. For every Harbaugh, there are two or three "second tier" guys that failed at their new school. Heck, if all the second tier guys are as good as Harbaugh, maybe we should ONLY consider second tier guys. I guess they're all better than the first tier guys.

Let's face it we need two things to happen very quickly.

1. Fill the stadium.
2. Improve the product.

The best way to do this quickly is to introduce an exciting (re: wide open) offense and provide serious fundamental coaching on the D side. The best bet to accomplish these things is with Leach. Unfotunately, he presents a threat to our friend Maturi. In fact I would guess he scares the living sh*t out of him.

Instead we'll end up with someone like Sumlin and face three or four years of rebuilding. We'll also see three or four years of a stadium with way to many empty seats.

This is a very dangerous line of thinking IMO.
Get the right guy in here, teach fundamentals and set up schemes that can become identities for the program. Recruit to fit whatever system is set up and redshirt those players to improve depth. No way I'm interested in a short term boom or bust coach.
Someone like Hoke, Sumlin, Golden, Calhoun, or Mullen could set up the program to grow and rebuild(yes, we will be rebuilding, it's inevitable)
The stadium will be full if the team shows fight and wins. It will be empty if we "excite" the masses and bring in fairweather fans who expect 70-0 wins every game, then leave when reality sets in and our depth and talent lose us a few games in year 1 and 2.

Every other athletic department in the country has thus far not to hire Leach. Therefore, he doesn't seem to present a threat to Maturi any more than he does to any other AD.

God, I'm tired of hearing this argument. For every Harbaugh, there are two or three "second tier" guys that failed at their new school. Heck, if all the second tier guys are as good as Harbaugh, maybe we should ONLY consider second tier guys. I guess they're all better than the first tier guys.

There's as long of a list of "first tier" guys that have failed as well. The argument goes both ways.

This.

I agree. Maturi is doing his leg work..so if the plan A guys say no to the 8 yrs and $24M....then he can move quickly down his ranked list of coaches.

Smart move....Q I have is how the heck does the media find out about this?

GM

It is called intentional leak...;) I kinda have a hunch (once again, no disrespect intended Doogie:)) they use guys like Doogie by feeding them info either to see what the fan reaction is or to mask what they are doing.

Right now, whether Hoke, Calhoun, Sumlin or whoever, I think what is happening right now is that they are focusing in on certain candidates and we are hearing about it. Probably will not be a home run candidate, but someone who is football smart, has some experience and is an up and comer.

It is called intentional leak...;) I kinda have a hunch (once again, no disrespect intended Doogie:)) they use guys like Doogie by feeding them info either to see what the fan reaction is or to mask what they are doing.

Right now, whether Hoke, Calhoun, Sumlin or whoever, I think what is happening right now is that they are focusing in on certain candidates and we are hearing about it. Probably will not be a home run candidate, but someone who is football smart, has some experience and is an up and comer.

I can buy that they leak these things to mask what they are doing, but not to see fan reaction.

I would seriously be surprised if Maturi scour's the internet, message boards and blogospheres to see what we think about names being leaked out.

I can buy that they leak these things to mask what they are doing, but not to see fan reaction.

I would seriously be surprised if Maturi scour's the internet, message boards and blogospheres to see what we think about names being leaked out.

Maybe to prepare fans at least and get them off their backs. It is not just the message boards, it is the gate as well as the environment around the campus.

Every other athletic department in the country has thus far not to hire Leach. Therefore, he doesn't seem to present a threat to Maturi any more than he does to any other AD.

Well he's been fired for less than a year, did you ever think of that??? How many hires have been made since Leach was fired?
________
JAGUAR XF

Most of the coaches listed are not going to excite the fan base. Have we given up on a home run candidate? We must be dropping out of the Big Ten.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the coaches listed are not going to excite the fan base. Have we given up on a home run candidate? We must be dropping out of the Big Ten.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't say we have given up on a home run candidate, but it seems that a majority of people on these boards don't feel there is a HR outside the big 3 Leach and Belloti maybe.

Top Bottom