Shooter: Brady Hoke on U's list of serious football coaching prospects

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The latest word is that the University of Minnesota has San Diego State's Brady Hoke on its list of serious football coaching prospects.

Hoke's Aztecs are 7-2 and will play at No. 3 Texas Christian (10-0) on Saturday.

Hoke, 52, who is from Kettering, Ohio, coached defense at Michigan for eight years before becoming head coach at alma mater Ball State, where he finished 12-1 in 2008. He is in his second season at San Diego State, where his quarterback coach is Brian Sipe, the former Cleveland Browns QB. In Hoke's first season at San Diego State, the Aztecs finished 4-8.

Meanwhile, Colorado's firing of Dan Hawkins this morning adds competition to the Gophers' coaching search. And Arizona State could have a head coach opening soon.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_16563619?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

I wouldn't hate the Hoke hire. He brought Ball State to a top 25 ranking when it was one of the worst Division 1 program in recent history.

He knows Big 10 country, having coached at Michigan and I think he would be ok.

However, he doesn't fit what Maturi said he's looking for. He's not a big name, and he wouldn't bring instant credibility among other things.

Doesn't have a winning record does he? That was a req per President Bruininks.
PHP:

Doesn't have a winning record does he? That was a req per President Bruininks.
PHP:

He does not have a winning record at SDSU, but he went 12-1 his last year at Ball State. He had a overall record of 34-38 with a 27-20 record in the MAC.

at SDSU he went 4-8 his first year and is 7-2 this year.

Turned two programs around. Did it in two different time zones. Sounds good.

I can't believe how much I hate Maturi for his "Tubby Smith-type" comment. It is the one go-to line for every idiot who had someone else in mind and wants to dump on a candidate.

Turned two programs around. Did it in two different time zones. Sounds good.

I can't believe how much I hate Maturi for his "Tubby Smith-type" comment. It is the one go-to line for every idiot who had someone else in mind and wants to dump on a candidate.

Yeah, it wasn't the greatest PR move.

Our Ch. 5 office is hearing Hoke's name hot-and-heavy as well.

That name doesn't excite me much.

Playing with some of the worst teams in 1-A football.

While playing against some of the worst teams in 1-A football. SDSU's wins have come against:

Nicholls State: 2-7
New Mexico State: 2-7
Utah State: 3-6
Air Force: 6-4
New Mexico: 1-8
Wyoming: 2-8
Colorado State: 3-7

Joe Schmit tweet:

"The #Gophers have contacted Brady Hoke, San Diego St. He is 7-2 this yr. At Ball State for 6 yrs. 12-1 in 2008. Asst. at Michigan 7 yrs."

Go Gophers!!

Hoke's career record is 38–46.

I remember NDSU beat Ball State in 2006, our QB threw for something like 450 yards. He did bring some talent into that program but he did it in a very weak MAC. Solid coach but I think the Gophers could do better.

While playing against some of the worst teams in 1-A football. SDSU's wins have come against:

Nicholls State: 2-7
New Mexico State: 2-7
Utah State: 3-6
Air Force: 6-4
New Mexico: 1-8
Wyoming: 2-8
Colorado State: 3-7

Eeek! So were trying to get two coaches from the worst teams in college football? haha.

He has only been at SDSU for two years, and they have improved since he got there.

I think you have to look at his work with Ball State to be impressed. Ball State was an absolute MESS before he took over and led them to a bowl game.

So Al Golden is the next Vince Lombardi, but Hoke is not impressive? It disturbs me to no end that some people will be disappointed if we don't hire Jim Harbaugh or Gary Patterson.

At this point the gophers might need a guy who can turn around the program over 3-4 years then look for a big name to get them to the next level. I think I'd like someone with his history even if he's looking at us as a stepping stone to a bigger program/NFL as long as he was here longer than 2 years.

With that said the only reason they might be looking for a Tubby type hire is to sell season tickets for next year. But turning around a football team seems harder than a basketball team. Basketball you can get things moving with one good class. I don't think that's true with football. Would a guy that's been in a big time football program be able to grind it out for a few years before we get good?

So Al Golden is the next Vince Lombardi, but Hoke is not impressive? It disturbs me to no end that some people will be disappointed if we don't hire Jim Harbaugh or Gary Patterson.
If they're willing to pay for a top hire, as they've stated, how can you not be disappointed if they come out of it with Brady Hoke?

If they're willing to pay for a top hire, as they've stated, how can you not be disappointed if they come out of it with Brady Hoke?

So would you rather shell out millions of dollars for a name or hire the right guy?

The Gophers could just do both and answer this question easy.

Eeek! So were trying to get two coaches from the worst teams in college football? haha.

He has only been at SDSU for two years, and they have improved since he got there.

I think you have to look at his work with Ball State to be impressed. Ball State was an absolute MESS before he took over and led them to a bowl game.

I think it is indicitive that we are looking for a coach who is able to win in tough situations (Air Force, Ball St., SDSU, etc.), which is probably a pretty important trait to look for in a possible Gopher coach.

Why? We were led to believe that a big hire was to be expected. Hoke is not in any way a big hire. He is a plan D guy.

Why? We were led to believe that a big hire was to be expected. Hoke is not in any way a big hire. He is a plan D guy.
Hoke is a plan D guy if Harbaugh, Patterson, and Peterson are plans A,B,C.

If you want to put them into categories, I'd say Hoke is a second tier option but nothing worse than that.

A few days from now there will be another tweet that the Gophers have contacted (probably through the search firm) another coach. I actually think that might be part of the search process. Just a guess.

We are prepared to make a big hire and will stretch to compensate. This is contingent on reciprocated interest from established, winning HCs. If we can't find a fit that way, the next tier of coaches - Sumlin, Hoke, Calhoun - are presumably our targets.

The dramatics from those who were 'let down' by the notion of a big hire promises to memorable.

We are prepared to make a big hire and will stretch to compensate. This is contingent on reciprocated interest from established, winning HCs. If we can't find a fit that way, the next tier of coaches - Sumlin, Hoke, Calhoun - are presumably our targets.

The dramatics from those who were 'let down' by the notion of a big hire promises to memorable.

Calhoun is a second-tier candidate? I could of swore he used to be a home run.

A few days from now there will be another tweet that the Gophers have contacted (probably through the search firm) another coach. I actually think that might be part of the search process. Just a guess.

I think this is about right... while Hoke is certainly in the mix, let's calm down a bit in terms of crowning him the guy... we'll know more in the next few days/weeks.

I'll have to deal with whomever we get, but to pretend getting a Sumlin, Hoke, or Calhoun is somehow a great hire is just not correct. Those guys are a big step down from the top tier of coaches. I've always expected to end-up with a second tier guy, but I don't have to be happy about it. Why would I?

Chip Scoggins also hearing Hoke:

"I hear same thing as @DarrenWolfson and @Joe_Schmit on Brady Hoke. Got 2 texts from people I trust saying keep eye on Hoke for Gophers job."

Go Gophers!!

LOL! Take a look at Ball State's schedule from 2008 when they were 12-2, not 12-1.

They were 12-0 against nobody - biggest win was Indiana? and they got their doors blown off in the MAC Championship game and then again in their bowl game by something called Tulsa....

Top Bottom