Shooter: Brady Hoke on U's list of serious football coaching prospects

Art, can you tell me which candidate(s) you want? I will tirelessly email Maturi to ensure we get one of them.

I really just want to eliminate the risk of you carping about our sh1te coach for the next four years.

Art, can you tell me which candidate(s) you want? I will tirelessly email Maturi to ensure we get one of them.

I really just want to eliminate the risk of you carping about our sh1te coach for the next four years.

Where is Mike Bellotti? He has kind of fallen off the edge as far as candidates go.

LOL! Take a look at Ball State's schedule from 2008 when they were 12-2, not 12-1.

They were 12-0 against nobody - biggest win was Indiana? and they got their doors blown off in the MAC Championship game and then again in their bowl game by something called Tulsa....

This is exactly why getting a guy who has proven he can "turn-around" a smaller program means nothing to me. Might as well have kept Mason if this is the direction we are going in. I'd much rather have a guy who has had success with a real team.

Well, for starters Calhoun and Hoke do nothing for me and probably 99% of the Gopher fanbase.

I'm not sure if I've heard a relastic name pop up yet that meets my approval :D

Well, for starters Calhoun and Hoke do nothing for me and probably 99% of the Gopher fanbase.

typical art vandelay response. when asked for specifics, he provides none. that way if we hire the guy he wants, he can't blast the decision. by not naming a realistic name, he doesn't take a stand and can continue taking shots from the cheap seats.

he will now respond with a weak attempt at sarcasm or a weak personal shot. he'll also throw in a few emoticons to try to appear rad.

Calhoun? Really? How did he all of the sudden fall out of favor with so many Gopher fans? Because he appears to be a real possibility?

I just don't understand the logic. Who do you realistically want? Leach? Dead!, Bellotti? Maybe. Fulmer? Dead! the big 3? Not a chance. Sumlin? He isn't good enough either it seems.

I just don't know what Maturi can do here.

I don't disagree with the first part; but that wasn't what I asked.

Can I assume you're not going to give me any names, leaving you free to rip whoever the coach is when they inevitably fail in year four?

Calhoun? Really? How did he all of the sudden fall out of favor with so many Gopher fans? Because he appears to be a real possibility?

I just don't understand the logic. Who do you realistically want? Leach? Dead!, Bellotti? Maybe. Fulmer? Dead! the big 3? Not a chance. Sumlin? He isn't good enough either it seems.

Yeah, barring the big 3 or Belotti, he is in a bind. I'm hoping for a real rabbit out of the hat here.

I personally like Calhoun, but outside of the die hards, he'll simply be known as our new coach who lost to Brewster.

Minnesota should be expected to beat Air Force, no matter who the coach is.

Unfortunately, only a few years in the big time - two in his case. He's the kind of candidate that would have looked good four years ago, like the others whose names have been kicked around on our board. But this isn't four years ago - the patient is on life support and has been given the last rites.

For me, Calhoun was never-ever a guy I would want. I don't want Trestman. I don't want Hoke. I want to win sooner than later. I have no interest in a guy who might take a few years to get going. By 'get going' I mean years before we get back to respectability. I'd take a quick fix right now over "possible" long term hire in a heartbeat. Leach isn't coming, but he would get us to a bowl faster than any of the guys mentioned in this thread. Anyone who doubts how fast he could get it going is fooling themselves. Bellotti could get things going quick. Mullen could do it. Those are the guys we should be focusing on. If those don't work for whatever reason, then go to the next tier: Sumlin, Hoke, etc. If we are really going to spend big money try to get a big time coach.

Out of curiousity, what makes you think Mullen would build a winner quicker than Sumlin?

Turned two programs around. Did it in two different time zones. Sounds good.

I can't believe how much I hate Maturi for his "Tubby Smith-type" comment. It is the one go-to line for every idiot who had someone else in mind and wants to dump on a candidate.

Wouldn't the Tubby Smith type of candidate be Larry Coker? Inherited a program from a legend won a NC right away. Decent teams thereafter...

You're right, stupid comment. Reminds me of the Randy Ratio in terms of stupid comments describing bad ideas.

For me, Calhoun was never-ever a guy I would want. I don't want Trestman. I don't want Hoke. I want to win sooner than later. I have no interest in a guy who might take a few years to get going. By 'get going' I mean years before we get back to respectability. I'd take a quick fix right now over "possible" long term hire in a heartbeat. Leach isn't coming, but he would get us to a bowl faster than any of the guys mentioned in this thread. Anyone who doubts how fast he could get it going is fooling themselves. Bellotti could get things going quick. Mullen could do it. Those are the guys we should be focusing on. If those don't work for whatever reason, then go to the next tier: Sumlin, Hoke, etc. If we are really going to spend big money try to get a big time coach.

I agree Leach should be the guy, but he is not. So we need to keep looking. I like Mullen as well, but what does he really have that the likes of Calhoun and Hoke don't have? He has two years of HC experience in the SEC which is a better conference. He also coached under Meyer and bread some great QB's at Bowling Green and Utah. But that is about it.

Hoke learned under Lloyd Carr at Michigan and I think that is a pretty respectable name.

I think people are forgetting, Calhoun is coaching at a service academy. If we think recruiting to Minnesota his hard think about what he has to go through. Weight requirements, strength requirements, intelligence, service and the list goes on. Here Sid Hartman complains because our academics are too high.

Calhoun is obviously a good coach, winning games in an offense that is not his own, but uses it because he adapts to his players around him. Give him a chance, because realistically he is one of our best options.

Out of curiousity, what makes you think Mullen would build a winner quicker than Sumlin?

Coached under Urban Meyer.
Coached for Florida.
Coaches for a better program right now.
Younger and better known-known as one of the top young guys in the country.
Solid recruiter since he has been at Miss. St.
No ties to Minnesota. Should be the first warning sign if they do.

I'd rather have Sumlin than a few names out there, but he wouldn't make me happy.

My own opinion is that Mullen has been the QB coach for a winner at Utah, then the QB coach/OC for a national champion at Florida and now is 7-2 at Missisppi State (and has an overall winning record there) in just his second season. I looked it up and Sylvester Croom won 4 games the year before he got there and that was his 2nd best year at MSU.

Compare that to Sumlin who's coached WR's (not as crucial as QB) and was not really the playcaller during his tenure as an OC at Oklahoma. Finally, Sumlin took over a Houston program that was already winning in Conference USA.

Mullen's ability to win games in the SEC at Mississippi State and his more extensive experience holding a lot of responsibilty on offense makes him more attractive than Sumlin to me.

Coached for Florida.

I'd rather have Sumlin than a few names out there, but he wouldn't make me happy.
So you don't like Calhoun but..

Coached under Mike Shanahan
Coached in the NFL as an OC
He has more experience as a HC than Mullen.
Many disadvantages at a Service Academy but still does a good job of recruiting.
No ties to Minnesota
Probably wouldn't cost as much as Mullen per season.

I think both are good candidates for the job. I just don't see why you like Mullen but Calhoun does nothing for you. Sumlin, on the other hand, is a bit more of a risk to me also.

Many disadvantages at a Service Academy but still does a good job of recruiting.
No ties to Minnesota

I think both are good candidates for the job. I just don't see why you like Mullen but Calhoun does nothing for you. Sumlin, on the other hand, is a bit more of a risk to me also.

He better not cost as much as Mullen.

The Air Force gig doesn't do anything for me compared to Miss. St.

Plus, he just doesn't have the name we need to excite fans and recruits. Sad truth.

Mullen > Calhoun > Sumlin

Many disadvantages at a Service Academy but still does a good job of recruiting.No ties to Minnesota

I just browsed the Rivals list of commitments for Air Force dating back to 2009 and could not find any evidence that Calhoun does a good job recruiting. His college career has been spent at Ohio, Wake Forest, and Air Force...I'd like to see some experience recruiting big time athletes.

I agree Miss. St. is a much better job that Air Force. You do need to consider all the disadvantages that come with coaching at a service academy although. It is much tougher to draw athletes to somewhere like Air Force than it is at Miss. St.

I would say many people wouldn't have a clue who Calhoun or Mullen was. Other than the people on here most Gopher fans wouldn't have a clue who either is.

I just browsed the Rivals list of commitments for Air Force dating back to 2009 and could not find any evidence that Calhoun does a good job recruiting. His college career has been spent at Ohio, Wake Forest, and Air Force...I'd like to see some experience recruiting big time athletes.
He is at a service academy. He is not going to be able to recruit athletes who have multiple D1 offers. He has to settle on athletes who are willing to serve their country when they are done playing football. Obviously his recruiting classes aren't going to be great at Air Force. I was saying under the circumstances he has done a good job. By looking at his career record, this is obviously true. Service academies are never going to have great rated classes on places like Rivals, ESPN, or Scout.

Coached for Florida.

Don't get me wrong, I think I would probably prefer Mullen to Sumlin, but you can do that with just about any coach....

Sumlin

Coached for Oklahoma under Bob Stoops
Coaches for a program that if full strength would probably be favored against Mullen's Miss. St.
Won a conference championship in his second season
Numerous wins over top 25 schools at Houston
Also known as a top notch recruiter (days at Oklahoma and Texas A&M, and even Houston)
Ties to MN are moot. I'm not giving him aan advantage for it but I can't see how it could be a negative.

So would you rather shell out millions of dollars for a name or hire the right guy?

Call me crazy, but I am of the opinion that paying top dollars for a coach and hiring the right coach to lead the program are not mutually exclusive.

Playing with some of the worst teams in 1-A football.

He fails the test Bruininks laid out...a winning coach like Holtz was. Like Sumlin, he hasn't been at SDSU long enough winning long enough for me.

If he dumps TCU this week...I might think differently.

I guess this would be ok...if all of the top tier guys turn us down.

GM

None of them do...

Not true. There are a few names that would help greatly. There are a few that would pacify. There are a few that would bore. There are many that would cause anger.

A few days from now there will be another tweet that the Gophers have contacted (probably through the search firm) another coach. I actually think that might be part of the search process. Just a guess.

This.

I agree. Maturi is doing his leg work..so if the plan A guys say no to the 8 yrs and $24M....then he can move quickly down his ranked list of coaches.

Smart move....Q I have is how the heck does the media find out about this?

GM

Top Bottom