Season Ticket Renewals 2012

Unfortunately due to health reasons for my wife and I we will not be renewing our seats in section 209, row 5. I have very arthritic knees and it is hard to climb steps and once I get seated it is hard to get back up. Not all the people who sit the entire game are fat and lazy. some of us just can't get up quickly. Same for my wife. Maybe who ever buys our seats will be more spry and not offend you by staying seated. As a side benefit for you Gopher fans Our first season tickets were bought the year after the last Big Ten co title. We have had them every year since. Maybe I am a jinx and things will magically improve with out us in the stands. I feel really bad about this because I can almost feel the team turning the corner to success. GO GOPHERS

PS: our annual seat donations will still be sent to the athletic office

I wrote a big analysis of why Iowa would be the best candidate to switch home dates with us and sent it to Maturi. His response was 'thanks, but that's up to the B10 office'. I suggest we get a letter writing campaign going once the new guy is in office. I'll post something when the time comes. This has to be fixed.

I'm planning to renew 4 @ $500 donation and am just praying that the guy I split with last year will stay with me...

Well, I hate to say it but Maturi is correct. You can write the MN AD all you want, but that individual does not have any say in the scheduling of B1G games. If you want to start a letter writing campaign it should be to Jim Delaney. He is someone who can influence scheduling. However, I wouldn't hold your breath...

Unfortunately due to health reasons for my wife and I we will not be renewing our seats in section 209, row 5. I have very arthritic knees and it is hard to climb steps and once I get seated it is hard to get back up. Not all the people who sit the entire game are fat and lazy. some of us just can't get up quickly. Same for my wife. Maybe who ever buys our seats will be more spry and not offend you by staying seated. As a side benefit for you Gopher fans Our first season tickets were bought the year after the last Big Ten co title. We have had them every year since. Maybe I am a jinx and things will magically improve with out us in the stands. I feel really bad about this because I can almost feel the team turning the corner to success. GO GOPHERS

PS: our annual seat donations will still be sent to the athletic office
Have you talked to the ticket office about your situation? They might be able to offer you some of the accessible seats under the overhangs or on the top of the upper deck. That would at least remove the stairs portion of the equation for you since both areas can be directly accessed via the different sets of elevators.

So the bleachers have more leg room then the areas (between the 20's) with plastic seats?

The bleacher benches are not as deep as the chairback seats thus resulting in more leg room.

I've read that if the Vikes play at TCF, part of the necessary stadium upgrades will include permanent chair back seating to replace all bleacher style seats. Provided my season tickets are currently bleacher seats, I would welcome the upgrade.

That would absolutely kill off what's left of the student section

that and a stadium full of chair backs takes away a revenue opportunity for the school as they would no longer be able to sell the chair backs as they do now.

How on Earth did you come to that erroneous conclusion?

So the bleachers have more leg room then the areas (between the 20's) with plastic seats?
I think you mean between the goal lines, but yes. You lose a bit of LR if the person in front of you has the bleacher seatbacks but you still have more than if you were in the full chairbacks.

That would absolutely kill off what's left of the student section
Well, to be clear the reports on the Vikings stadium cited "seating improvements" but never specified what they were. So there is a chance it doesn't mean seatbacks everywhere.

Lakeville Goldy said:
Well, I hate to say it but Maturi is correct. You can write the MN AD all you want, but that individual does not have any say in the scheduling of B1G games. If you want to start a letter writing campaign it should be to Jim Delaney. He is someone who can influence scheduling. However, I wouldn't hold your breath...

I was assuming that if three AD's asked the B10 office for the change that they'd honor the request. It wouldn't change the schedule just the sites. Seemed like he didn't want to bother asking.

I was assuming that if three AD's asked the B10 office for the change that they'd honor the request. It wouldn't change the schedule just the sites. Seemed like he didn't want to bother asking.
It would take more than 3 because of how complex things get. Once you flip one game then one team has too many home games and the other has too few. So more games need flip flopping, which means more teams need accommodating. Basically you have to start the schedule from scratch.

The thing to keep in mind is that the current schedule isn't for sure the long term one. They've only got things set through 2014. The new AD will hopefully push for this issue to be revisited/fixed in the 2015 schedules and beyond.

supadupafly said:
that and a stadium full of chair backs takes away a revenue opportunity for the school as they would no longer be able to sell the chair backs as they do now. perhaps they could charge more per ticket since all seats would then be chair backs. but as i said above, i think chair backs in a stadium takes some of the impetus out of people to get up and cheer and scream. some (especially the fat types) get too comfortable and lazy as the game goes on.
How could a stadium full of chair backs take away a revenue opportunity just because it's a chair back? As far as your comment regarding the overweight fans.....WOW!!!!

Well, to be clear the reports on the Vikings stadium cited "seating improvements" but never specified what they were. So there is a chance it doesn't mean seatbacks everywhere.

The Cardinals never added seatbacks to Sun Devil Stadium. However, you could rent a seatback for individual games, as you could for ASU games and the Insight Bowl. Problem solved.

GoAUpher said:
It would take more than 3 because of how complex things get. Once you flip one game then one team has too many home games and the other has too few. So more games need flip flopping, which means more teams need accommodating. Basically you have to start the schedule from scratch.

Actually that's incorrect.

Switch 2013 from

IA @ MN
MN @ NW
NW @ IA

to
MN @ IA
NW @ MN
IA @ NW

Same three teams, same three opponents, same number of home games each.

It would allow both MN and NW to split Iowa and Nebraska (traveling parties) into opposite seasons. Competitively Iowa would likely be indifferent, but It would allow Iowa to host the Gophers two years in a row.

We just hosted Iowa 2 years in a row plus it's a great road trip so I'd be for it.

Actually that's incorrect.

Switch 2013 from

IA @ MN
MN @ NW
NW @ IA

to
MN @ IA
NW @ MN
IA @ NW

Same three teams, same three opponents, same number of home games each.

It would allow both MN and NW to split Iowa and Nebraska (traveling parties) into opposite seasons. Competitively Iowa would likely be indifferent, but It would allow Iowa to host the Gophers two years in a row.
Hmmmm...touche. :)

I don't have time to look at how this changes up the schedules for each school (for instance, does it create 3 road games in a row for anyone) to see if any odd scenarios are created that could be hurdles. But yea, on the face of it that's a solution.

How in the world is Sid talking about "renewals going better than expected" when nothing has been sent out to renew??

Hmmmm...touche. :)

I don't have time to look at how this changes up the schedules for each school (for instance, does it create 3 road games in a row for anyone) to see if any odd scenarios are created that could be hurdles. But yea, on the face of it that's a solution.

Maybe to your earlier point they'd need to wait to make this chagne after 2014 where they haven't yet committed B10 schedules.

Maybe to your earlier point they'd need to wait to make this chagne after 2014 where they haven't yet committed B10 schedules.
I think this is probably the best bet and I certainly hope the new AD pushes the B1G to address it in the 2015 and beyond schedules.

How in the world is Sid talking about "renewals going better than expected" when nothing has been sent out to renew??

I'd guess they have already been approaching the premium seating people (loge boxes, suites, etc.) whose contracts are expiring and perhaps they are getting a better response than anticipated from those folks. Of course with Sid it could just as well be that someone told him "the gerbils are getting infected" and he heard "renewals going better than expected."

I'd guess they have already been approaching the premium seating people (loge boxes, suites, etc.) whose contracts are expiring and perhaps they are getting a better response than anticipated from those folks. Of course with Sid it could just as well be that someone told him "the gerbils are getting infected" and he heard "renewals going better than expected."
Or Sid is Sid (i.e. full of whatever blather is running through his head at that moment).

Did he say anything about Doc Williams? There is a very real possibility that Sid looked at a calendar and thinks it's 1912 instead of 2012. He may be remembering something Doc told him then. "The geniuses in the phonograph industry all say the Gophers will be down coming off an undefeated season. Doc told me the Gophers will be very good again this year, and that renewal rates for season tickets are higher than President Vincent and the administration had anticipated. Grumble, grumble."

Why are we discussing changing the schedule? Still haven't figured it out. Over time, we play everyone the same number of times in the same number of places. What does it matter how it shakes out in an individual year?

I'll go back to my original belief: If you base whether or not you renew your season tickets on the schedule--you can stop right there. Please, please, please DO NOT RENEW. It's purely and simply just not part of your make up. You can sit at home and complain on Gopherhole. We'll be at the game.

Why are we discussing changing the schedule? Still haven't figured it out. Over time, we play everyone the same number of times in the same number of places. What does it matter how it shakes out in an individual year?

I'll go back to my original belief: If you base whether or not you renew your season tickets on the schedule--you can stop right there. Please, please, please DO NOT RENEW. It's purely and simply just not part of your make up. You can sit at home and complain on Gopherhole. We'll be at the game.

I think most fans on here mean that it would be nice to have one of the 3 (Iowa, Wisky, Neb) at home while the other 2 on the road (and vice versa for the following year) so fans can hit all three games in a two year stand. Hitting all three this coming year will be difficult for many people, and not having a close road game in years like this past year, is not as fun. I enjoyed heading to either Wisconsin or Iowa every year, and this B1G year seemed off because I wasn't heading to one of those places to see a game. I will still get tickets, as will many people on here, even though we won't have one of those three at home. It would just be nice to balance it out.

I think most fans on here mean that it would be nice to have one of the 3 (Iowa, Wisky, Neb) at home while the other 2 on the road (and vice versa for the following year) so fans can hit all three games in a two year stand. Hitting all three this coming year will be difficult for many people, and not having a close road game in years like this past year, is not as fun. I enjoyed heading to either Wisconsin or Iowa every year, and this B1G year seemed off because I wasn't heading to one of those places to see a game. I will still get tickets, as will many people on here, even though we won't have one of those three at home. It would just be nice to balance it out.
This. And since not every fan at TCF currently adheres to the "don't make it about the home schedule" idea, a more balanced schedule is just better for Gopher FB in general right now.

This. And since not every fan at TCF currently adheres to the "don't make it about the home schedule" idea, a more balanced schedule is just better for Gopher FB in general right now.

I guess I don't know what "balanced" means. The conference schedule is built in two year cycles. This cycle started when Nebraska joined and we split into divisions. However, it wasn't a closed system. The previous 2 home games every four years cycles with Iowa & Wiskey had to be figured in.

It will take at least 4 years and maybe 8 for the schedule to stabilize because of the out of division and protected games. Minnesota's protected Wisconsin games is one of those that fouls the schedule, because you have to get the 2 home games in 4 years cycle "right" and work in the other 5 Leaders on a regular rotation.

Be patient. It's a math problem that will work itself out. You'll see what I mean when the 2015 schedule comes out.

You'll see what I mean when the 2015 schedule comes out.
Really? You mean like I've mentioned a couple of times now? /snark

My point has always been that the new AD needs to make sure that in 2015 they balance out the Neb/Iowa/WI games to make for a better home and road schedule. Balanced simply means that the 3 biggest traveling fanbases shouldn't be coming to TCF all in the same season. This also has the added effect of making sure that road trips are made easier as the 3 best road trips for the team aren't all put into the same season.

Really? You mean like I've mentioned a couple of times now? /snark
My point has always been that the new AD needs to make sure that in 2015 they balance out the Neb/Iowa/WI games to make for a better home and road schedule. Balanced simply means that the 3 biggest traveling fanbases shouldn't be coming to TCF all in the same season. This also has the added effect of making sure that road trips are made easier as the 3 best road trips for the team aren't all put into the same season.

I agree with you. I think the B1G Office realizes these things, too. it's just taking time to shake out.

Marc Ryan is in charge of schedulemaking for the U. Marc is a sharp guy. If he keeps his job, I'm sure these things will be made clear to the new AD.

snark-critters.jpg

snark9570951.jpg

These were the two most interesting snarks I could find...

Attachments

• snark9570951.jpg
    snark9570951.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 2

I agree with you except in the case of Michigan. For whatever reason, we just never match up well with them, even when they are down. We are 1-20 in our last 21 contests with them, and even that one win took a miracle run by Gary Russell to seal the deal. We are 0-14 at home against them since 1977. I really think we can go 5-2 at home this year (W vs. NH, W. Mich, 'Cuse, NU, Pur, L vs. Mich and MSU), which would mean taking care of business at UNLV in the opener would have us bowling. Any other wins would just be gravy.

This is one of the reasons I keep renewing, can you imagine being at TCF when they do beat Michigan again? I want to be their when they do and I feel Kill is the coach that will be their when they beat them.

I'm the weirdo who wouldn't, but that's only b/c I'm really tall and the bleachers have more legroom. I certainly would enjoy it when temps drop though...those benches can be cold. :)

I have to agree. I'm in section 105, and there's a couple of Saturday's that I've appreciated the extra R value. Still, I'd be OK with not having to shell out about $175 for the seatbacks on our four seats. And I would be kinda ticked if some dirtball Vikings fan got to enjoy them for free.

I'm sure this has been addressed elsewhere, but how are they going to handle beer sales at TCF with the Vikings playing there? I can't see them not selling beer. Tough to get the crowd revved up on a crucial 3rd down play when half of them are suffering DT's.

Top Bottom