Search Committee talking to Terry Bowden

Snapper is the guy who is leading the charge with the "Save Gopher Football" website.

Wait a minute. He basically said, "We're done cheating as soon as the current crop of paid athletes is gone". Hardly a posting for sainthood.

He's not at the top of my list, but we could do worse. I have two concerns: He doesn't seem totally innocent in what happened at Auburn. 2. If he was that great a concept, someone else would have hired him by now. I guess he's only been back 3 years, but still I don't see anyone beating down his door.

Did you read the blurb? He didn't do anything wrong other than piss off Auburn boosters who turned out to be more powerful at the school than the AD or Head Football Coach. He was let go for being honest. I'd be very happy with Terry Bowden and think he'd be a great choice. My only concern would be he is not a northern guy and might jump ship to get back to the SEC at any time...

I did. Honest? He knew what was going on with his program and didn't put a stop to it asap. It was a very tough situation to be put into and I think he did handle it better than most coaches would. It is still a very big black mark on his record to go along with the affair with a 20 year old cheerleader. I'm not saying he shouldn't get a look. I'm saying if he gets one, Leach better get two looks. My conspiracy theory about Bowden is that he helped the NCAA nail Auburn in exchange for a light and non public punishment. How many years did he do TV and why?

Conference Record
8-0
6-1-1
5-3
4-4
6-2
1-4

Conference record with mostly someone else's recruits: 14-1-1
Conference record with mostly his own recruits: 16-13

And...boom goes the dynamite. Why does anyone want a coach who only ever became a coach because of who his dad is, and then did little to nothing with it? I don't want Tommy for the same reason.

Now, John and Jim Harbaugh. They got coaching jobs because they're good coaches. Terry, Jeff, and Tommy Bowden got coaching jobs because they're Bobby's sons.

I did. Honest? He knew what was going on with his program and didn't put a stop to it asap. It was a very tough situation to be put into and I think he did handle it better than most coaches would. It is still a very big black mark on his record to go along with the affair with a 20 year old cheerleader. I'm not saying he shouldn't get a look. I'm saying if he gets one, Leach better get two looks. My conspiracy theory about Bowden is that he helped the NCAA nail Auburn in exchange for a light and non public punishment. How many years did he do TV and why?

I agree that I'd rather have Leach. Or even Tommy Bowden, who I think did a better job at Clemson, although not good enough to stick there. I'd still prefer tio interview coaches that have run a BCS team over coordinators and small conference HC's.

One time SEC coach of the year Terry Bowden is said to be top choice by inside source in U of M search committee. Bowden, wrongly dissmissed and cleared of all accusations was considered one of Division 1's best and brightest coaches. 11-0 in his first season at Auburn, Bowden left after the school was called out for several NCAA violations. Most of which had been in place for years before Bowden arived. Pay for Play was an ongoing booster motivated tactic under several previou regimes at the SEC powerhouse program. When Bowden discovered the wrongdoings and put a stop to them, he was asked to step down by major $$$ players inthe system. Bowden whose career was for all purposes ruined, has since been exonerated and returned to coaching at No. Alabama in 2008. Bowden is reported to be the committees number one choice. A "major catch". All reports say the price is right and He is read for prime time again.

never happen.

I've always liked Terry Bowden, but there are a few others I have higher on my list.

A positive is that Bowden would have a network of established coordinators to choose from, I'd be interested in seeing the assistants he could bring along with him (would both of his brothers come?)

The Bowden name certainly still carries some weight down south with the old guard types, but of most current high school kids in Minnesota, I'm guessing exactly zero remember when he was coaching at Auburn. His dad is obviously well known, but to this generation they are more likely to remember him forgetting key moments of a game during a press conference rather than winning a national championship with Charlie Ward.

So I think his name recognition could be overplayed as a positive. In the interest of brevity, if it came down to a candidate like Trestman or Bowden, I would be much happier with Bowden. Still, that's not exactly a glowing recommendation. But I am more intrigued with his name than say Brady Hoke or Randy Edsall.

I recall him when he was an announcer that makes me hesitate. Glen Mason and the Gophers had won a big game. When the score flashed on the screen Bowden says, "Glen Mason had better update his resume." Meaning that Mason should be looking for a better job. I assume Bowden would do that should be win a few big games for us. He's way down on my list.

If he said that, then I agree that MN should pass on him...ASAP

Did you read the blurb? He didn't do anything wrong other than piss off Auburn boosters who turned out to be more powerful at the school than the AD or Head Football Coach. He was let go for being honest.

He pissed off the boosters by losing and was let go for starting the season 1-5.

And...boom goes the dynamite. Why does anyone want a coach who only ever became a coach because of who his dad is, and then did little to nothing with it? I don't want Tommy for the same reason.

Now, John and Jim Harbaugh. They got coaching jobs because they're good coaches. Terry, Jeff, and Tommy Bowden got coaching jobs because they're Bobby's sons.

I am not a big fan of hiring Terry Bowden, but this isn't exactly true. Terry Bowden coached for 11 seasons before being hired at Auburn and had success at both of his gigs before Auburn. He also didn't only have success with Pat Dye's players. His second best season (10 wins, 6-2 in the SEC came in his second to last season). There was no steady decay of the program as Pat Dye's players left. Auburn finished in the top 25 all of his seasons before his final disastererous season.

His last season and Tuberville's first season at Auburn were also the seasons that were the most damaged by Pat Dye's "pay for play" program because those sanctioned classes were finally upperclassmen. It makes sense that they were the down years.

Bowden is far from a perfect candidate. He didn't seem to get along with the "powers the be" at Auburn. I have no idea if that was more to do with him shutting down a lot of the booster transgressions (supposedly), if it is because he supposedly had an affair with a trustees daughter, or if he has an abrasive personality. I just know that he didn't get along with anyone while he was at Auburn. I'm not sure if a guy who while winning at Auburn couldn't get along with their adminstration would do here at the U.

He also seems to be the kind of guy who would hop at the first chance to get back down to the SEC.

Lastly, and most importantly, I can't trust a grown man who refers to his father as "daddy".

Good luck getting him to come this far north.

Geeze I'm getting tired of this arguement. Is it 1950 and no one told me? Fulmer is 'too southern'. Richt is 'too southern'. Shannon is 'too Miami.' Both Bowdens are 'too southern.' I want someone who can coach. I don't care where they're from. Everyone has been convinced for 2 years that Tubby would surely flee the frozen Tundra, but he's still here isn't he? Even Virginia's $3 million bucks couldn't convince him.

Get rid of this attitude that everyone south of Iowa thinks they're going to die in a blizzard if they come here. Also get rid of this attitude that we dont' want anyone south of Iowa because they're 'too southern' to succed/recruit here. Funny, I haven't seen anyone say that about Gary Patterson. Where exactly is the magic line?

Maybe y'all really want Marc Trestman afterall. He's certainly not 'too southern' and Minneapolis is tropical compared to Canada. He's perfect!

and Minneapolis is tropical compared to Canada. He's perfect!

To be fair to Montreal: Montreal's averege Nov.-Jan temps are actually milder than ours according to the weather site I checked out. Wetter than us, but a little warmer.

Geeze I'm getting tired of this arguement. Is it 1950 and no one told me? Fulmer is 'too southern'. Richt is 'too southern'. Shannon is 'too Miami.' Both Bowdens are 'too southern.' I want someone who can coach. I don't care where they're from. Everyone has been convinced for 2 years that Tubby would surely flee the frozen Tundra, but he's still here isn't he? Even Virginia's $3 million bucks couldn't convince him.

Get rid of this attitude that everyone south of Iowa thinks they're going to die in a blizzard if they come here. Also get rid of this attitude that we dont' want anyone south of Iowa because they're 'too southern' to succed/recruit here. Funny, I haven't seen anyone say that about Gary Patterson. Where exactly is the magic line?

Maybe y'all really want Marc Trestman afterall. He's certainly not 'too southern' and Minneapolis is tropical compared to Canada. He's perfect!

Not that I wouldn't want Bowden. I don't know a whole lot about his record or anything other than he is Bobby's son. I just know that some people would rather not coach at all than come this far north. It all depends on a bunch of factors though of course such as off season hobbies, families, pay being offered, etc. I know this is a bad example but is the only one I can think of right now but Jimmy Johnson would much prefer to not coach a northern team unless he is handed a boatload of money(he would need that to coach anyway I know) and a list of other perks. I doubt college coaches are much different. They all have hobbies and families they will consider along with other things.

The way some people talk, you would think we are the only state that has winter. You would think that in January, people are sitting on the shores of Lake Michigan in swim suits, drinking pina coladas on the beach.

It's amazing what some posters will say to shoot down someone else's coaching candidate.

Exactly. "The way some people talk". You know there is a lot of people who do think that. Not that we should just not pursue him but it may take a little more convincing$ to get him to come here and maybe some "luck".

Exactly. "The way some people talk". You know there is a lot of people who do think that. Not that we should just not pursue him but it may take a little more convincing$ to get him to come here and maybe some "luck".

There are indeed people who think that. They are called ignorant people. I would think that a head coach candidate is going to be smart enough to realize that the weather here isn't really that different than any other northern tier school.

The way some people talk, you would think we are the only state that has winter. You would think that in January, people are sitting on the shores of Lake Michigan in swim suits, drinking pina coladas on the beach.

I actually do this! Except it's on the shores of Whitefish Chain.... Oh, and it's not Pina Coladas, it's a nice mix of Hot chocolate and Schnapps.... Oh, and I'm not wearing a bathing suit, it's a parka and a nice Stormy Kromer hat with flaps! And we have the fire pit roaring and hot dogs on sticks too! And it's a lot of fun!

And I actually fish thru the ice, and then I eat the catch!

There's got to be at least one coach in this world that would be willing to risk the weather...

This is Go(l)d Country!

If they get too cold, they can just make the drive to Hudson, because we all know that winter is fun in the sun the moment you're out of Minnesota.

A three page thread about Bowden talking to the search committee when in fact there is no committee.

There is a search firm, Joel Maturi, and Bob Bruininks. Maybe also the new president presuming he's named in the next couple of weeks. That's it, no committee.

Not sure Bowden would be a good hire. Like it was said earlier, the Bowden kids got jobs for their names. Not sure they can recruit w/o big $$$ from boosters.

Not that I wouldn't want Bowden. I don't know a whole lot about his record or anything other than he is Bobby's son. I just know that some people would rather not coach at all than come this far north. It all depends on a bunch of factors though of course such as off season hobbies, families, pay being offered, etc. I know this is a bad example but is the only one I can think of right now but Jimmy Johnson would much prefer to not coach a northern team unless he is handed a boatload of money(he would need that to coach anyway I know) and a list of other perks. I doubt college coaches are much different. They all have hobbies and families they will consider along with other things.

Fine this is true for Jimmy Johnson. But for every one of him there's 9 'too southern' coaches that I guarantee you don't care where the job is if they think they can win and succeed. And even Jimmy didn't really take that attitude until after he quit the Cowboys. By then he had all the money he needed and was happy retired. He was only interested in coaching 'if' he could basically do it in Florida (hence the Dolphins.) Most guys are not retired Super Bowl winning coaches who need to be coaxed out of thier hammock. Fulmer's about the closest thing and by all accounts he'd take the job in a heart-beat, despite his sensing it 'didnt' fit.'

And what I find just as annoying is the people who don't want a certain coach because he's 'too southern.' What does that even mean? His accent is too thick? He's not 'one of us.'? Who cares? These are mostly the same people who don't want Trestman to be considered either.

A three page thread about Bowden talking to the search committee when in fact there is no committee.

There is a search firm, Joel Maturi, and Bob Bruininks. Maybe also the new president presuming he's named in the next couple of weeks. That's it, no committee.

Right on!!!! I blew this entire thread off because of what you just said. The search committee is made up of commenters and thread starters searching the GopherHole for unsubstantiated gossip, all of which is worth nothing.

I went to a Fellowship of Christian Athletes banquet tonight and Bobby Bowden was the keynote speaker. He was also the Tom Landry National Award Winner. If Terry has half of his father's personality he'll do just fine recruiting. Now how would he adjust to being out of the South...that's a fair question. Bobby definitely belongs in the South, but it wasn't hard to understand how he got Joe Mauer's commitment.

Terry Bowden did attend and graduate from West Virgina so he's not unfamiliar with winter. Admittedly WV doesn't have as severe a winter as we do but they do get snow and cold so the concept is not completely foreign. I'm not originally from MN but being from New England it was not a big adjustment, a little heavier jacket ,a little respect for wind chill ,and I was good. I don't think that our winter will really sway anyone familiar with snow in the winter.

The fact that Pat Dye finished 5-6 and 5-5-1 in his last two years with Pat Dye's recruits tells me that Bowden can actually coach since he took the next years team to a 11-0 record which would have been good enough to compete for the national championship if they weren't on probation. The same probation that kept them from playing on TV, in a bowl game and suffer reduced scholarships.

I hate it when guys get coaching jobs because their dad is a coach. Thank god the Jim and John Harbaugh didn't cut their coaching chops under their dad. Oh wait. Jim helped his dad for 8 years at Western Kentucky and John coached for three years under his dad at Western Michigan and then got him a job at Pitt. But the Harbaugh boys are just good coaches as opposed to the Bowdens :rollingeyes:

This post in no way endorses Terry Bowden as a candidate for the available head coaching position at Minnesota.

But it Makes Good Points

The fact that Pat Dye finished 5-6 and 5-5-1 in his last two years with Pat Dye's recruits tells me that Bowden can actually coach since he took the next years team to a 11-0 record which would have been good enough to compete for the national championship if they weren't on probation. The same probation that kept them from playing on TV, in a bowl game and suffer reduced scholarships.

I hate it when guys get coaching jobs because their dad is a coach. Thank god the Jim and John Harbaugh didn't cut their coaching chops under their dad. Oh wait. Jim helped his dad for 8 years at Western Kentucky and John coached for three years under his dad at Western Michigan and then got him a job at Pitt. But the Harbaugh boys are just good coaches as opposed to the Bowdens :rollingeyes:

This post in no way endorses Terry Bowden as a candidate for the available head coaching position at Minnesota.

Thanks

Top Bottom