Search Committee talking to Terry Bowden

Snapper

Reaction score
One time SEC coach of the year Terry Bowden is said to be top choice by inside source in U of M search committee. Bowden, wrongly dissmissed and cleared of all accusations was considered one of Division 1's best and brightest coaches. 11-0 in his first season at Auburn, Bowden left after the school was called out for several NCAA violations. Most of which had been in place for years before Bowden arived. Pay for Play was an ongoing booster motivated tactic under several previou regimes at the SEC powerhouse program. When Bowden discovered the wrongdoings and put a stop to them, he was asked to step down by major $$$ players inthe system. Bowden whose career was for all purposes ruined, has since been exonerated and returned to coaching at No. Alabama in 2008. Bowden is reported to be the committees number one choice. A "major catch". All reports say the price is right and He is read for prime time again.

One time SEC coach of the year Terry Bowden is said to be top choice by inside source in U of M search committee. Bowden, wrongly dissmissed and cleared of all accusations was considered one of Division 1's best and brightest coaches. 11-0 in his first season at Auburn, Bowden left after the school was called out for several NCAA violations. Most of which had been in place for years before Bowden arived. Pay for Play was an ongoing booster motivated tactic under several previou regimes at the SEC powerhouse program. When Bowden discovered the wrongdoings and put a stop to them, he was asked to step down by major $$$ players inthe system. Bowden whose career was for all purposes ruined, has since been exonerated and returned to coaching at No. Alabama in 2008. Bowden is reported to be the committees number one choice. A "major catch". All reports say the price is right and He is read for prime time again.

Taking this for what it's worth...but I'd be A-ok with a Terry Bowden hire.

Another coach with transgressions far worse than Leach in the mix?

All this insight from a guy named "Snapper". You gotta wonder. I would think Joel ("we can't hire Jimmy Williams even if it costs us a million bucks") Maturi is too squeeky clean for any of the Bowdens.

If he has been exonerated, and hopefully not using the U as a stepping stone, he would seem to be a real good get.

No.

If you read the paragraph in the first post, you will see that there were never any football related "transgressions" attributed to Terry Bowden. The rumors down here at the time said that any "transgressions" related to a non-football, personal matter. After stepping down he worked for ESPN until his contract payout from Auburn was over and then went back to work at Northern Alabama, where he has done quite well.

I would think that if there is any question about Bowden's ability to succeed it is whether he has been away from major college football so long that he no longer has any name recognition among high schoolers and therefore will have trouble recruiting. I obviously don't know the answer to that

All this insight from a guy named "Snapper". You gotta wonder. I would think Joel ("we can't hire Jimmy Williams even if it costs us a million bucks") Maturi is too squeeky clean for any of the Bowdens.

There are many, many reasons to question the veracity of an internet gossip item. But questioning the guy's moniker? Especially since you can't even capitalize your own name. :)

I'd take Bowden.

the stuff that was going on at auburn was such a soap opera and so entangled, I'd be in favor of throwing the baby out with the bathwater on this one

terry might have been the cleanest guy at auburn, but that could just make him the tallest pygmy...its so hard to tell

His biggest problem at Auburn was sleeping with the 20 something daughter of one of Auburn's biggest boosters.

Something I found on an another site:
Interview with Terry Bowden April 24, 2001, at his Loachapoka ranch.

Also present was Paul Davis. After our interview, Bowden was expecting a visit from Dr. Muse that same day at his ranch. Former Auburn University football coach Terry Bowden says the program he inherited in 1993 included an elaborate system of paying star high school players up to $15,000 to sign with Auburn and $600 per month while on the team.

In a lengthy interview from the ranch he still owns in Loachapoka, Bowden alleged that the “pay-for-play” system was orchestrated by powerful AU Board of Trustees member Bobby Lowder and carried out by former assistant coach Wayne Hall.

Bowden said the corruption extended to former head coach Pat Dye, and included $30,000 to Atlanta attorneys for Gene Jelks in order to sustain the former University of Alabama player while he leveled charges of wrongdoing in the Crimson Tide program.

Bowden said he learned of the major NCAA infractions within days of being named Auburn ’s head coach, but kept quiet while trying to clean up the program from within.” I broke the rules,” Bowden said. “I told Wayne Hall to pay it off to the players we already had and it will never happen again.

I was hiding a dirty secret.” Bowden said the payment of players can be traced to Lowder, who Bowden said is the unquestioned leader of the AU athletic department.” Nothing was done without Lowder knowing.” Wayne Hall and Pat Dye paid $30,000 for lawyers in Atlanta to keep Gene Jelks talking.

This came from the money that had been used to pay Auburn players.In 1991 when I was at Samford, Wayne Hall called to ask about a job for Katherine Lowder at Samford. Bobby Lowder then called and he said he would contribute money to Samford equal to Katherine’s salary as long as we didn’t tell her where the money came from. Katherine and my wife became good friends.

Then the Eric Ramsey thing hit. One day Katherine sticks her head in my office door and says, “Dye is leaving and my dad wants you to be coach at Auburn .” Dye resigned a week later. Lowder made him resign because Lowder was sure Auburn was going to get the death penalty if he didn’t resign.

I met with Lowder, Mike McCarter and Ruel Russell at Ruel’s office in Birmingham . They asked me all the questions, and I thought it was a job interview. Then they said, we need to get you an interview. They got John Montgomery Sr. to officially recommend me to be interviewed. The night before the interview, Lowder told me “here’s how the interview will go.”

This was three hours on the phone like a lawyer prepping his client. There were six candidates - Larry Smith, Mack Brown, Dick Sheridan, Pat Sullivan, Wayne Hall and me. Everyone agreed that whoever the coach was going to be, the decision had to be unanimous. I think Lowder wanted Wayne Hall, but he knew he couldn’t get him approved. I was the backup.

I was the last to interview, then the committee immediately took a vote that day. Somebody was opposed to every candidate until they voted on me last. That’s how I got the job. Lowder said he wanted me to hire Wayne Hall as an assistant.

Tommy (Bowden, Terry’s brother and a member of the Pat Dye staff) told me that if you wanted anything done you gotta go through Hall. My second day on the job (athletic director Mike) Lude said “you can’t hire Hall.” But then I understand Lowder called and said that if I couldn’t hire Hall we will find a new president.

So I hired Wayne Hall. One week on the job, Hall came in with a ledger of players who have been paid, who paid the money, how much money and when it was paid. He said we’ve still got 9-12 players that we’re paying $600 per month.

We paid then $12,000-$15,000 to sign. We sign about four every year that we pay.(Former assistant coach Rodney) Garner paid most of the players. He was paid when he was a player at Auburn.(Stacey) Danley is the assistant compliance guy, and he was paid when he was a player. I broke the rules. I said pay it off, and it will never happen again.

Hall said “OK, but you will change your mind.” Katherine came to Auburn as

my assistant, but she worked for Colonial. We were real close. I told
Lowder “We have cash all over.” Lowder said “I told Wayne not to collect more than we had to have to pay the players.” Wayne had a safe in his house wherehe kept the money. Within two weeks of me being hired they told me about paying Jelks.

Nothing was done without Lowder knowing. I will go under oath
and say that Lowder looked me in the eyes and said, “I didn’t want Wayne to collect more money than we needed to pay the players.” I was hiding a dirty secret. We were paying (star running back and current Washington Redskin) Steve Davis and his cousin the fullback.

It took about two years to get it all cleaned up. Most the guys we were paying weren’t any good and weren’t helping us win games. Steve Davis was the exception.

HERE IS HOW IT WORKS fifty to 60 men give $5,000 per year. Wayne would collect it. These are all good men. They didn’t ask questions. The coach tells them that everybody cheats so we have to. My first two years we went 11-0 and 9-0-1.

My third year, (assistants Jimbo) Fisher and (Rick) Trickett said, “Hall is on the phone a lot with Lowder.” I thought he was going back to cheating. I told Hall that when the season was over he needed to move on.

I told Garner that I was taking him off coaching for a year. That was the beginning of the end for me. Jimmy Rane was in on all of this. He is high maintenance. Three current Board of Trustees members gave cash to players - Rane, Spina and McWhorter.

Jimmy is a wannabe, a jock sniffer, a loose cannon. He wants to be involved in everything. After I fired Wayne , (athletic director David) Housel came on. I don’t dislike David, but David would get his feelings hurt if I called Lowder.

I told David what Wayne was doing. Lowder said (of Housel) “He’s not a good AD, but he’s my AD.” David Dideon compliance guy, Jay Jacobs parking passes, Tim Jackson tickets. All are GAF members. Gerald Leschuck was keeping Lowder informed.

By my last year I’m having my house checked for bugs. Danny Rane (son of Jimmy Rane and a walk-on Auburn player) was giving our practice tapes to Mississippi State , our opponent. Tommy Tuberville had been promised the job if we lost to Alabama in the game when we kicked the field goal here to win.

After that season, I thought about taking the University of Texas job, but (Governor Fob) James was getting rid of Lowder. Then Lowder stayed on the Board and I was stuck. I thought then that I needed to win one more year and get out.

When I got here Lowder said don’t talk to Muse, he’s weak and his wife is a n----r lover. Lowder told me John Denson was trying to kill him. The last week I was coach: Monday - The Huntsville Tmes runs a story that says an undisclosed sources says that Bowden has lost the confidence of the Board of Trustees and he must win four of the last five games to keep his job.

I lied to my staff and told them that I had talked to Lowder, the story was not true and everything was OK. I was trying to keep up morale. Tuesday - (Defensive coordinator Bill) Oliver brings a hidden tape recorder into our coaches meeting. I believe this was because Lowder wanted to have proof that I told a lie about talking to him the day before. Wednesday - I had a 7 a.m. meeting with Housel.

He asked if I had seen the article in the Huntsville Times. He said he had talked to Lowder, and Lowder wanted me to know that he was the undisclosed source.

He said he also wants you to know that he doesn’t care if you win five of your next six, you’re out. David said the only way I would keep my job was if Fob James wins (the governor’s race). Thursday - I brought in my lawyer, Ricky Davis, and said to David that I wanted to resign.

He called Lowder while we were in his office and we worked out a settlement. Muse didn’t even know. They were using Oliver. They were never going to hire him. When I resigned it shocked them.

Interview with Terry Bowden---
You give Bowden a call, you better give Leach one also.

I'd agree with that

I agree, that would be real surprising to me. It is interesting though how we have "THE" new coach every 12 hours on here. And it is almost always a different guy.

I could live with Terry Bowden, he might be a tough sell to the public though.

Bowden would definitley be a "name" but he doesn't strike me as a program builder. His teams at Auburn got progressively worse as he got his own recruits.

I agree, that would be real surprising to me. It is interesting though how we have "THE" new coach every 12 hours on here. And it is almost always a different guy.

And, all this insight from someone with their 6th post. :confused:

By 'progressively worse' do you mean finishing #11 in the nation in his last full year at Auburn?
The guy never finished lower than #24 in any year as a Div 1 head coach. He went undefeated in the SEC one year and the next year lost only one SEC game. That's the SEC, not the Northern Sun Conference. Even if he showed up at the press conference smoking a blount on a Harley with two naked cheerleaders with a sack over his shoulder containing a brace of skinned donkey skulls I would still be happy the Gophers hired him.

By 'progressively worse' do you mean finishing #11 in the nation in his last full year at Auburn?

This is what I mean by progressively worse:

Conference Record
8-0
6-1-1
5-3
4-4
6-2
1-4

Conference record with mostly someone else's recruits: 14-1-1
Conference record with mostly his own recruits: 16-13

Other than people who are obviously "trolling" around looking to stir the pot, I will never understand how numberof posts equates to the quality of someone's comment.

Anyhoo ... I would really prefer to stear clear of this one if there is in fact any truth to it. He's not that good for the baggage he brings.

I recall him when he was an announcer that makes me hesitate. Glen Mason and the Gophers had won a big game. When the score flashed on the screen Bowden says, "Glen Mason had better update his resume." Meaning that Mason should be looking for a better job. I assume Bowden would do that should be win a few big games for us. He's way down on my list.

When did Terry Bowden become a good coach? Im starting to think there are some members who honestly have never seen any sort of college football outside of our beloved Gophers.

Bowden lost his job simply because he couldn't recruit or coach as well as Pat Dye. Once Dye's players graduated they began to struggle. Bowden's recruiting was bad also. He left the cupboard bare for Tommy Tubberville.

Hes doing a good job at North Alabama with cast-offs from SEC/ACC programs. I'd keep any Bowden far away from Minnesota.

I get my Bowdens mixed up. Terry is the Bowden I don't like. LOL.

Did you read the blurb? He didn't do anything wrong other than piss off Auburn boosters who turned out to be more powerful at the school than the AD or Head Football Coach. He was let go for being honest. I'd be very happy with Terry Bowden and think he'd be a great choice. My only concern would be he is not a northern guy and might jump ship to get back to the SEC at any time...

Did you read the blurb? He didn't do anything wrong other than piss off Auburn boosters who turned out to be more powerful at the school than the AD or Head Football Coach. He was let go for being honest. I'd be very happy with Terry Bowden and think he'd be a great choice. My only concern would be he is not a northern guy and might jump ship to get back to the SEC at any time...

Do you have any reason for thinking he would be a good hire?

Bowden's problems weren't about pissing off Auburn boosters(Bobby Lowder is the most powerful booster in the country). Bowden's problems came from his team's performance slipping despite the talent Dye had left him. They progressively got worse each season, and people had enough of it. By the time the team was full of his recruits, they were bad and it carried on into Tubberville's first few seasons. He was forced out. What he did wrong off the field is that its rumored he had an affair with Bobby Lowder's daughter as well as several other women.

Bowden was being considered for Louisiana Tech last year. That is the level where people expect him to go to if he gets another FBS Head Coaching job. UAB also would be the type of job he could get.

Do you have any reason for thinking he would be a good hire?

Bowden's problems weren't about pissing off Auburn boosters(Bobby Lowder is the most powerful booster in the country). Bowden's problems came from his team's performance slipping despite the talent Dye had left him. They progressively got worse each season, and people had enough of it. By the time the team was full of his recruits, they were bad and it carried on into Tubberville's first few seasons. He was forced out. What he did wrong off the field is that its rumored he had an affair with Bobby Lowder's daughter as well as several other women.

Bowden was being considered for Louisiana Tech last year. That is the level where people expect him to go to if he gets another FBS Head Coaching job. UAB also would be the type of job he could get.

He certainly has a few positives. First he has the Bowden name, which means something down south. So the southern recruiting would likely be a bit easier off the bat. This also isn't his first trip to the dance, which means he has run a BCS team before. That can't be overstated. And after leaving Auburn, he spent a lot of time out of the game. So he's now older, and one would hope, wiser. There is no certainty, and I'd rather have Leach, but I'd be fine with Bowden. He could even pull a Lane Kiffin and bring his dad in as associate head coach or something similar...

Who knows if the original post has any accuracy, but comments like this irk me. Just because the guy only has six posts to his credit, he should be discredited? That makes no sense. I didn't know one gains more knowledge and insight with each additional post on GH. I better get going.

Top Bottom